Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,981 members, 7,803,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows (7556 Views)

Ex-militants Threaten To Blow Up Hijacked Vessel, Expatriates Onboard Over Biafr / Breaking :Adamu Muazu Deletes His Tweets Of PDP Wining Nasawara State(photo) / 30 KIlled In Clashes Between Alago & Berom People In Nasawara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by dapachez: 5:32am On Jun 30, 2013

NASSARAWA KILLINGS: Relief money hijacked from policemen’s widows
on June 30, 2013 at 12:19 am in Metro
By Abel Daniel
…Women seek herbalists’ help to find ‘missing cops’
“My husband is not dead. Therefore I won’t accept any money in lieu of him”. “Our husbands are not dead; they are only held hostage by alleged cultists. They can be rescued by herbalists”. These statements summarise the responses of some of the widows of the over 100 security officers killed in Nassarawa State by people suspected to be members of a cult. Life has not been the same for the widows and orphans since the demise of their bread winners.
To Mrs. Elisabeth Onoja, wife of Inspector Sunday Onoja, the reported death of her husband is still like a dream one month after. “I don’t believe he is dead because we have not been able to find his corpse”, she said.

“We were told that some of the affected security officials are still being held hostage by those people (cultists) at Lakyo. Since I have not seen my husband’s body, I believe he is one of those held hostage. We are begging government to do everything they can to release our husbands.”

When Sunday Vanguard visited her residence in Lafia, the state capital, the widow was in her bedroom praying and pleading with God to bring the missing husband back home safely. The woman, with six children to cater for, asked President Goodluck Jonathan and the state government to help the widows and children of the slain officers.

“I have six children; the first son just got admission at Nassarawa State University. The last boy is ten years old. All of them are in school. My worry is, who takes care of these children for me? I want government to at least take over the sponsorship of the education of the children of the officers who were on official assignment when they were attacked”.

For Mrs. Mary John from Ado local government area of Benue State, the wife of the late Sgt. Sunday John, the death of her husband has left a vacuum no one can fill. “When my husband left home that day, we thought, like any other day, that he was going to return only for him to come back as a corpse. I am worried daily about how to take care of our seven children”, she said.

“The IGP and the state governor have tried to alleviate our immediate challenges; but I want to beg them to please take over the sponsorship of the education of our children for the sake of my husband who served the nation with his blood. He died in active service. The only consolation they can give me and my children to help me sponsor them”

“The police, the wife of Governor Almakura and some other people gave us some food items. They gave me two bags of rice, one and a half bags of Semovita, one and a half gallons of groundnut oil and cartons of noodles. I thank them, may God reward them. But one bag of rice cannot take us to the end of the month”.

“I want government to help us with job. I can do cleaner job if I get one as I am not doing anything right now. I also want the IG to do everything possible to ensure our late husbands’ benefits are not delayed. This will help us”.
Sunday Vanguard also gathered that one of the wives of the slain police officers refused to claim the money given to the widows to take care of their immediate needs because she did not believe her husband was dead.

Mrs. Carol Ebosele, the secretary of Police Officers’ Wives Association (POWA), Nassarawa State chapter, said, “The leadership of POWA has made several attempts to encourage the woman (names withheld) to collect the relief token as that will not stop the husband from returning but she refused and would not allow anybody sympathize with her.

“The shock of the news of the death of the women’s husbands left some of them in hospital. While many of them don’t know how to continue with their lives, some have almost spent the cash given to them by the IG and the state governor, and now seeking the help of herbalists to rescue their husbands after being told by the herbalists that their husbands are held hostage by the alleged cult group”.

Mrs.Priye Gotto, Nassarawa POWA coordinator, also revealed that some of the widows’ husbands’ relations have hijacked the money given to them to take care of their immediate needs. “Some of them complained to us that while they were busy with their husbands’ burial arrangements, their husbands’ brothers collected the money and refused to give them a penny”, Gotto said.

“We are doing our best in to ensure that the widows are properly taken care of, especially those with many children. We encourage them to open bank accounts in their names so that the money can be paid directly to the accounts.

“The POWA leadership in the state has pledged to push the request of these widows to the national office of the association, and the nation’s first lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, so that the poor widows are not neglected. As married women, we are all potential widows. It could happen to anybody”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/nassarawa-killings-relief-money-hijacked-from-policemens-widows/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Kcxee(m): 6:16am On Jun 30, 2013
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by donPhill(m): 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2013
hmmm....not the type dat do say 1st 2comment shaa
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by valdubem(m): 12:07pm On Jun 30, 2013
Why is the right thing always hard to do in Nigeria??

1 Like

Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by colombiana: 12:10pm On Jun 30, 2013
Its high time the government educate Nigerians effectively on birth control. What is an average man/woman doing with 7 kids in this modern age. Education is just too expensive to just litter kids anyhow, at least it could help curb terrorist activities and reduce unemployment rate. Especially those in the north

5 Likes

Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by chaloner(m): 12:10pm On Jun 30, 2013
This is bad if its true , those men should return d money ASAP . I bliv buhari will b happy by now , dis is his prayer since , to c ungovernable country .......... The evill dat men do shall live wit them

2 Likes

Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Profidada: 12:12pm On Jun 30, 2013
While people are trying to console the bereaved herbalists are busy making cool cash.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by nerodenero: 12:14pm On Jun 30, 2013
The main culprit will at the end goes free after killing innocent and making many families without a head.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Ishilove: 12:14pm On Jun 30, 2013
This is just so tragic. I didn't know that people still gave birth to as many as seven children in these present hard times. undecided

Are the women living in denial or are their missing husbands still held captive? As for those shameless relatives hijacking the benefits of widows, hunger and tears will never be far from their immediate families. angry
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by WildChild00(m): 12:16pm On Jun 30, 2013
colombiana: Its high time the government educate Nigerians effectively on birth control. What is an average man/woman doing with 7 kids in this modern age. Education is just too expensive to just litter kids anyhow, at least it could help curb terrorist activities and reduce unemployment rate. Especially those in the north

Seven childern is small my brother, if you visit some police barrack, i.e. Obalende you will be shoked to see some police officers with two wives and eighteen to nineteen children, same thing is applicable to the military barrack, sometimes, its the level of eduction that is causing it.

2 Likes

Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by nerodenero: 12:16pm On Jun 30, 2013
colombiana: Its high time the government educate Nigerians effectively on birth control. What is an average man/woman doing with 7 kids in this modern age. Education is just too expensive to just litter kids anyhow, at least it could help curb terrorist activities and reduce unemployment rate. Especially those in the north
Funny enough,poor people give birth more.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by worldman(m): 12:18pm On Jun 30, 2013
na wahoo
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Egbagirl(f): 12:21pm On Jun 30, 2013
WildChild00:

Seven childern is small my brother, if you visit some police barrack, i.e. Obalende you will be shoked to see some police officers with two wives and eighteen to nineteen children, same thing is applicable to the military barrack, sometimes, its the level of eduction that is causing it.

That's just sad. How do they cater for these kids? I mean seriously! Imagine if the first woman for example had just say 2, it would at least be less of a burden.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by WildChild00(m): 12:22pm On Jun 30, 2013
Ishilove: This is just so tragic. I didn't know that people still gave birth to as many as seven children in these present hard times. undecided

Are the women living in denial or are their missing husbands still held captive? As for those shameless relatives hijacking the benefits of widows, hunger and tears will never be far from their immediate families. angry

Perhaps they might still be alive, you never can tell, those women are still very much hopeful, that come oneday, their bread winners will be released, but the question would be, for how long will they continue to holdon, and what is the Government doing in respect to that effect, there is a saying that wen joining the Nigerian police force, one has to sign a death warrant, perhaps their bread winners hv done just dat.

As per seven children, given birth to by one woman, in this morden day Nigeria, it is not new, when the police forum was held in Abuja, this was some of the things that was discussed, but some uneducated ones will never take to correction smh.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Profidada: 12:23pm On Jun 30, 2013
But on a serious note what actually transpired on that day still beats my imagination. A truck load of tens of security men could be killed just like that? The police ig should leave no stone untorn so as to get to the root of this matter. Even if it required the services of a superior herbalist to that of the ombatse spirital leader. Such superior herbalists could be found in places like benin-edo state, ogoni-rivers state, ijebuode-ogun state, etc.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by WildChild00(m): 12:26pm On Jun 30, 2013
Egba girl:

That's just sad. How do they cater for these kids? I mean seriously! Imagine if the first woman for example had just say 2, it would at least be less of a burden.

That is it, but the level of eduction, plays a vital role, some of them still believe that the more children you have the more wealth you have, especially when they are girl child, perhaps bride price will be the order of the day.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Henrypraise: 12:30pm On Jun 30, 2013
Once again family planning campaigns shud be taken seriously instead of political campaigns. If m not mistaken d Nig. const. allows for 4 births only.

I honestly sympatise wit widows of d fallen cops, den I wanna ask wat is d objective of POWA? It shud av amongst its plan, a programme that prepares police officers wife for the worse n how the family of d deceased will b catered for.
One of d reasons I detest nollyhood movies, is d whole lot of drama dey attached to death of a love one in its scenes.
If police officers wife av bin thoroughly briefed of d dangers attached to dia hubbys jobs, dia won't b so much lamentations as dis.

My comment is wit due respect to all d deceased n dia families.

1 Like

Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by ChristKid1: 12:34pm On Jun 30, 2013
Sad story all round. The least government should is sponsor the children of these fallen officers in education cus they lost their lives in active duty.

But up to 7 children with 1 wife? Jeez we need more education on family planning.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by colombiana: 12:34pm On Jun 30, 2013
nerodenero: Funny enough,poor people give birth more.
when they are not rotweilers or boerboers and the kids are not for sale, and u knw fully well ur job is risky and ur normal salary can't cater for them and even if u retire ur pension is crap and the govt would still not pay u or delay it mtcheww if I cont with this AND u might find out that this policemen and military men ar just simply homo habilis
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by DrSadikMagaji(m): 12:44pm On Jun 30, 2013
chaloner: This is bad if its true , those men should return d money ASAP . I bliv buhari will b happy by now , dis is his prayer since , to c ungovernable country .......... The evill dat men do shall live wit them
mumu
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by kingthreat(m): 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2013
Fathers, brothers, make sure none of your daughters and sisters get married to a Nigerian policeman.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by kufre2010: 12:57pm On Jun 30, 2013
The government should provides scorlaship to the children of the demised officers. That is what government does in countries with responsible government and they should check and make sure that their entitlements are paid before pay officers embezzled it .
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by cold(m): 1:13pm On Jun 30, 2013
Egba girl:

Talk to them about having two kids & you'd be lucky to leave without curses & insults,even called a witch.The philosophy of these guys is God gives children & as long as he continues to give me i'll continue to have them.
The police department should issue a stern warning to the greedy relations of these widows to leave them alone or face prosecution
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Tafee(m): 1:18pm On Jun 30, 2013
chaloner: This is bad if its true , those men should return d money ASAP . I bliv buhari will b happy by now , dis is his prayer since , to c ungovernable country .......... The evill dat men do shall live wit them
animal in human form na him u be
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Tafee(m): 1:28pm On Jun 30, 2013
what has happen has happen my advice for the mothers is that they should not rely on nigerian goverment cos they wil end up in hypertension all same vote buhari 2015 things wil change
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Egbagirl(f): 1:29pm On Jun 30, 2013
cold:
Talk to them about having two kids & you'd be lucky to leave without curses & insults,even called a witch.The philosophy of these guys is God gives children & as long as he continues to give me i'll continue to have them.
The police department should issue a stern warning to the greedy relations of these widows to leave them alone or face prosecution
WildChild00:

That is it, but the level of eduction, plays a vital role, some of them still believe that the more children you have the more wealth you have, especially when they are girl child, perhaps bride price will be the order of the day.

I think it's unfair. What are they thinking having all those kids when they can't afford it? People just have kids anyway and many of them on the streets. Smh
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Tafee(m): 1:31pm On Jun 30, 2013
what has happen has happen my advice for the mothers is that they should not rely on nigerian goverment cos they wil lead them to hypertension all same vote buhari 2015 things wil change
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Tafee(m): 1:32pm On Jun 30, 2013
what has happen has happen my advice to the mothers is that they should not rely on nigerian goverment cos they wil lead them to hypertension all same vote buhari 2015 things wil change
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by mu2sa2: 1:36pm On Jun 30, 2013
One should not jump into conclusions unnecessarily. The money in question is paid to the person named by the deceased as his next-of-kin. So if a person named his brother as his next-of-kin, the money would be paid to his brother, not his wife.
I have seen a young man put down his father as his next-of-kin. I asked why he didn't name his wife, he said his father was the only person he could trust.

2 Likes

Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by nijanigga: 1:55pm On Jun 30, 2013
val_dubem: Why is the right thing always hard to do in Nigeria??
Cos, too many monkeys living in that country.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by nijanigga: 2:00pm On Jun 30, 2013
Chris†Kid:
Sad story all round. The least government should is sponsor the children of these fallen officers in education cus they lost their lives in active duty.

But up to 7 children with 1 wife? Jeez we need more education on family planning.
too late, Nigeria's population to hit 400 million by 2050,in that small space. You talk about crime and boko haram now, wait until that time,to see real crime.
Re: Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows by Kaynee: 3:27pm On Jun 30, 2013
mu2sa2: One should not jump into conclusions unnecessarily. The money in question his paid to the person named by the deceased as his next-of-kin. So if a person named his brother as his next-of-kin, the money would be paid to his brother, not his wife.
Na here problem dey. Why should a married man with children in this part of our world name his brother as his next of kin? I dont outrightly blame the relatives because they are the ones known by Govt as benefactor. However it is wrong if the wife is the next of kin and the relatives snatched the monies from her.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB / Is Buhari Dead?? See Questions That Would Leave You To Wonder / Onnoghen: Don’t Set Nigeria Ablaze, Timi Frank Warns FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.