Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party (11052 Views)

Tinubu Under Pressure To Float New Party - National Daily / 2015: Northern Youths Vow To Mobilise Support For Jonathan / 12 PDP Governors May Join APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 30, 2013
Northern governors, and other senior politicians in the region, may form a new political party, SUNDAY PUNCH has learnt.

A source who is part of the move to ensure that the region recaptures power in the 2015 general elections disclosed this to one of our correspondents in Abuja, on Friday.

The source said the formation of a new political party was one of the three options being considered by northern political leaders as politicking for the next general election gathers steam.

The source added that the region would not allow itself to be used and dumped in the manner “Nuhu Ribadu was dumped by the Action Congress of Nigeria during the 2011 elections.”

Ribadu, the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, was the presidential candidate of the ACN in the 2011 election.

However, he lost the states controlled by the party, except Osun State, and is believed to have been a victim of a deal between his party’s power brokers and those of the Peoples Democratic Party.

The source, who pleaded anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the press, said, “The reality of our current political isolation is not lost on us here in the North.

“I believe also we have learnt a thing or two from the brand of politics which led to the set up of Nuhu Ribadu by the ACN during the 2011 elections.

“If by any chance we allow that kind of thing to happen again, then we are doomed. There are three options before us and we are considering them seriously.

“One: remain in the Peoples Democratic Party where we are almost certain that President Goodluck Jonathan will impose himself on the party; for those who may have forgotten, this was done in the last Nigeria Governors’ Forum election. Don’t forget that some of the northern governors are facing expulsion threats from PDP.

“Two: join the All Progressives Congress to defeat the PDP or three: float a fresh political platform altogether. For those who think the third option is a long shot, I suggest they should think again because the Congress for Progressive Change would have been the party to beat today but for some tactical blunders.

“Politics is a game of numbers; we have the numbers as well as the political sagacity to build bridges across ethnic and religious divides, we have done it before, we can do it again.”

Speaking to one of our correspondents, the Convener of the Coalition of Northern Politicians, Academics and Businessmen, Dr. Junaid Mohammed, in a telephone interview, confirmed the plan, adding that a new party could be the best option for the North.

He said, “I believe that if they are determined to do it, they will get public support.If you have that support and it is seen that you are being victimised by government, it will bounce back on your accusers. We are strategising but it’s not what I would want to go into in details.”

Junaid also spoke about speculations that General T.Y. Danjuma is being considered as a possible consensus presidential candidate by the North.

He said, “I know General Danjuma and we speak a lot. I do not believe General Danjuma takes this seriously.

“If he had wanted to be President he could have been one, especially before the assassination of General Murtala Muhammed. After the assassination, he was the de facto leader of the junta and he was also in effective control of the armed forces but he didn’t want it.”

Meanwhile, northern leaders and groups have been holding meetings towards picking a candidate for the 2015 elections.

On Friday, the spokesman for the Northern Elders’ Forum, Dr. Paul Unongo, told SUNDAY PUNCH that it was working with the Arewa Consultative Forum, to ensure that the North presented a credible consensus candidate for the next presidential election.

“What is going on now in the North is just discussions. ACF has been meeting and consulting with the Northern Elders’ Forum. We have held two or three meetings. We have areas of agreement and areas of slight disagreement. We are consolidating on the areas we agree on.”

He added that the choice of a northern presidential candidate would be largely based on competence and the person’s acceptability to other parts of the country.

Ugongo said, “The Speaker of the House of Representatives seems to stand very tall. The capacity he has displayed has elicited confidence in his people (members of the House) from all the geopolitical areas. He seems to command the respect of all the political parties that have representation in the House.

“He must be doing something pleasing to the ACN, CPC and some members of his party, PDP. Some of us consider him very attractive and we will be very proud to present him as somebody to be looked at for possible leadership of this country.

“Somebody like Gen. Theophilus Danjuma, if he was young and interested in this type of thing, we would have been happy to present him. But he is known to say ‘no’ to political leadership right from the time when he was in the military.

“If the Governor of the Central Bank, Lamido Sanusi, retires from the bank, where he has established himself as an upright and fearless Nigerian, convincing the most brilliant minds that he can compete with anybody in the world, he is the kind of people Nigeria should be looking for.

“I am told that the Niger State Governor, Babangida Aliyu, has indicated to some people that he wants to become President. He hasn’t told me or the public. I hear that the Governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido, wants to run and I also hear of the Governor of Bauchi, Isa Yuguda. As far as I’m concerned any of these gentlemen is eminently qualified to run for the presidency of Nigeria.”

When contacted, the ACF declined comments on the issue stating that it was too early to talk about 2015 general elections.

The spokesman for the forum, Mr. Anthony Sani, said promoting 2015 politics would heat up the polity.

http://www.punchng.com/news/2015-northern-governors-may-form-new-party/
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 30, 2013
"If the Governor of the Central Bank, LamidoSanusi, retires from the bank, where he hasestablished himself as an upright and fearless Nigerian, convincing the most brilliant minds that he can compete with anybody in the world, he is the kind of people Nigeria should be looking for.
"I am told that the Niger State Governor, Babangida Aliyu, has indicated to some people that he wants to become President. He hasn't told me or the public. I hear that the Governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido, wants to run and I also hear of the Governor of Bauchi, Isa Yuguda. As far as I'm concerned any of these gentlemen is eminently qualified to run for the presidency of Nigeria."
When contacted, the ACF declined comments on the issue stating that it was too early to talk about 2015 general elections.
The spokesman for the forum, Mr. Anthony Sani, said promoting 2015 politics would heat up the polity:/.

punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/2015-northern-governors-may-form-new-party/
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by IdomaLikita: 11:17am On Jun 30, 2013
Nonsense !!!

4 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 30, 2013
May God help us in this country.
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by fredopayee(m): 11:30am On Jun 30, 2013
Heyiyah!!! So sorry my brothers the northerners. What happened to 40years you guys ruled? Upon oil boom, no development in north. North is a disgrace to an entity... Cry me a river North!!! Nonsense!! PDP from Childbirth

6 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by fredopayee(m): 11:34am On Jun 30, 2013
One thing abou yoruba nation is that they are ship one can sail arround. Following like mumu.

10 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Ngwakwe: 11:34am On Jun 30, 2013
It seems the Elephant in the APC room can never be trusted.

Remember, my wise words, Character not tested may be true and real but can never be wholly trusted.

Even God has to test Abraham in spite of his omniscience according to the Holy Books.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Prowizy2(m): 11:46am On Jun 30, 2013
Rubbish!
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 01, 2013
BS
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by juman(m): 2:57pm On Jul 01, 2013
"Araba"

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by kettykin: 2:59pm On Jul 01, 2013
what stops these fools from stopping a new Country rather than form a new party

6 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by egift(m): 3:04pm On Jul 01, 2013
PDP Governors in the north should rather massively support a Buhari/Fashola ticket and kill 3 birds with one stone.

I dey laugh in Zoology.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Fishout(m): 3:06pm On Jul 01, 2013
Nigerians sha,everything is on 2015 election.who knows what will happen tommorrow.?nobody.Anyway i 'm still dey my own party.
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by akereconfi: 3:09pm On Jul 01, 2013
Stewwpedddd bastard. For the 40 years they've ruled, what did they achieve rather than looting the nation. No b one of una son sani abacha....the money wey him thief excess wey FG stil dey recover in Billions of Dollars. E neva do una abi, una one go RE-thief the money again. F++king aboki

1 Like

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Bobbystanley(m): 3:09pm On Jul 01, 2013
Wetin concern me?
Instead of an Aboki to be president of this country,it then means that I will give Jonathan my vote even when I know he is a dollard.

3 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 01, 2013
good news...let them go and form their born-to-rule party and contest. i laugh in shekau...
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2013
Just break away already . .

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 01, 2013
kettykin: what stops these fools from stopping a new Country rather than form a new party
+1,000,000,000,000 likes

1 Like

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by gistin123: 3:14pm On Jul 01, 2013
If the intention is to win 2015 presidency, they won't make it. However, if it is to float a party to contest for governorship or senatorial seats, they can successfully do that. That will ensure that PDP does not have majority at the National Assembly.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by olawaletaiwo(m): 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2013
let wait and see, but i can't believe this , Mr.Yega, no dulling
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by chaloner(m): 3:24pm On Jul 01, 2013
All we nid is northern country , pls if this is dere plan , I support dat 1 billions timessssssssss

4 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Okeikpu(m): 3:27pm On Jul 01, 2013
Sick pple sad
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 01, 2013
The name of the party must be... Boko Haram Supporters Party(BSP) with Major General .............rtd the party's presidential flag bearer for 2015 election. BSP!! Bombing continua........

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by nijanigga: 3:39pm On Jul 01, 2013
By 2017 when Nigeria's oil becomes useless, then everybody will forget the presidency.
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Okeikpu(m): 3:39pm On Jul 01, 2013
kettykin: what stops these fools from stopping a new Country rather than form a new party
those coyotes will leave Nigeria once the oil is gone... Apart from stealing oil money ,what else do u think they r good at?
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Chamber10(m): 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2013
egift: PDP Governors in the north should rather massively support a Buhari/Fashola ticket and kill 3 birds with one stone.

I dey laugh in Zoology.

Why not Fashola/Bokahari ticket? Mtsheew
North and born-to-rule mentality. No bi say they sabi pass. What did they do with 40yrs of leadership? Nothing. Cut off mark for Zamfara to unity school is still 2 while Anambra is 139. Shame!!!

4 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Mogidi: 4:01pm On Jul 01, 2013
[size=14pt]IT MAY BE BETTER FOR YOU GUYS TO FORM A NEW COUNTRY,

(AND PLEASE TAKE THE YORUBAS WITH YOU)THANKS.[/size]

10 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by PDPvsAPC: 4:02pm On Jul 01, 2013
[size=28pt]This is a sign that Nigeria is on the verge of splitting. [/size]

3 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by jice(m): 4:08pm On Jul 01, 2013
Onosas: "If the Governor of the Central Bank, LamidoSanusi, retires from the bank, where he hasestablished himself as an upright and fearless Nigerian, convincing the most brilliant minds that he can compete with anybody in the world, he is the kind of people Nigeria should be looking for.
"I am told that the Niger State Governor, Babangida Aliyu, has indicated to some people that he wants to become President. He hasn't told me or the public. I hear that the Governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido, wants to run and I also hear of the Governor of Bauchi, Isa Yuguda. As far as I'm concerned any of these gentlemen is eminently qualified to run for the presidency of Nigeria."
The spokesman for the forum, Mr. Anthony Sani, said promoting 2015 politics would heat up the polity:/.

punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/2015-northern-governors-may-form-new-party/

for outright display of bias alignment on Boko Haram?
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by jice(m): 4:11pm On Jul 01, 2013
This is a mere fabrication by a smooth writer.

Who are the Northern Governors? Does a man in Borno believe that a Suswam is good enough to take the Norther Slot of presidency? until that is sorted out there is no real North other than the Political settings that cannot align.[.
Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Longeria(m): 4:16pm On Jul 01, 2013
That's good for democracy, but forming another party dominated by the Northern Nigeria will spell a doom and final epitaph to their aspiration in 2015 election. Wait a minute, is it not the same north that ruined and made this country helpless for 40 years that are so desperate? North's age long self deception that north is Nigeria, Nigeria is north has long been demystified, so the better they start talking more of Nigeria and putting her first above north, the better for them. What I want to let my Yoruba brothers know is that there is always tomorrow, if they help the north to defeat their fellow southerner, they must surely need the south to defeat a northerner to rule the country again. We, the Igbos are saying "KEMJIKA" meaning a bird in hand is more precious and valuable than billions in the air. GOD BLESS.

6 Likes

Re: 2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party by Kinikini: 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2013
Very unwise politicking. Paving the road for extra four years of fresh breath. Silly and tactless politicians. Very selfish.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Al-Qaeda Suspect Lawal Babafemi To Be Extradited To The U.S / Dele Momodu: I Lost My Father When I Was Barely 13, In 1973 / Ijelespeaks Gets Court Affidavit To Speak Against Nnamdi Kanu - IT IS FINISHED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.