Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics (29605 Views)

Tribunal Sacks Vincent Bulus In Plateau, Bans Him From Politics For Life / Governor Peter Obi's Multi Billion Naira Mall In Abuja / Governor Peter Obi Defend His Goverment Over Nasir El Rufai Accusations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by olokfor: 1:52pm On Jun 30, 2013
Chairman of South-East Governors’s Forum and Anambra State Governor, Mr. Peter Obi has announced his retirement from active politics.

The Governor, who disclosed this on Sunday, said he would quit active politics at the end of his current tenure in March 2014.

He spoke at the thanksgiving service and award ceremony to mark the end of the 2nd Session of the 15th Synod of the Anglican Diocese of Enugu at the St. Bartholomew’s Church, Asata, Enugu.

“A very prominent person called me today and asked me, what is your plan concerning politics after your current tenure, I’m telling you now what I told him.

“For me, I have come to the end of it; I want to quit and rest. However, I have been praying to God that for the sake of the good people of Anambra State, please give them somebody like Peter Obi.

“The level of greed in Nigeria is overwhelming, where people can’t see the suffering of other people, they are just accumulating wealth, for me, it is time to go.

“I wonder why one person should own a house in Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai and he is not using them for anything, people accumulate what they don’t need, it is madness, the level of greed in Nigeria is intolerable.

“I want all of us to be praying for Nigeria, so that God will touch the heart of our leaders to use public money for the people. In Anambra State we have never borrowed money despite all the works we are doing”.

The Governor, who was quite emotional lamented the level of financial waste in government, stressing “the cost of running a governor’s office in Nigeria is too much.

“When I came in as Governor, I discovered that the state had 70 workers in Abuja office, apart from their salary we spend close to 15 million maintaining that office. They have nothing doing there than to come to the airport and welcome me, constituting nuisance, so we re-deployed the workers and closed down the place. Till date, we have not missed them, which means they were really doing nothing there”.

“I urge all of us to pray for greedy people in this country; they are accumulating what they don’t need, stop accumulating things for your children”, he charged politicians, stressing that he had never bought a car for any of his children.

“I have told them to buy cars when they make their money, I have also never celebrated birthday for them. They can do that when they leave my house. We should stop wasting public fund”.

SOURCE- www.metronaija.com/breaking-news-governor-peter-obi-bows-out-of-politics/

62 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by biafransoul: 2:34pm On Jun 30, 2013
Okwute ndigbo, o ga adiri gi na nma. The foundation you've laid in the wholesome development of Anambra state will forever be remembered. Respect man! You're really a man of the people.

24 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jun 30, 2013
He did his best as the governor of Anambra state, and his best is good enough.

In a state that too much money changes hands during elections, he is owing the people of Anambra a credible election.

I wish him the best in his future endevours.

8 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2013
no wonder he has been licking the President's backside!

he wants to sort himself out forever

I hope he has the grace to allow Anambra people choose their own future and not impose anyone on the State

1 Like

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by slimghost(m): 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2013
mikeansy: no wonder he has been licking the President's backside!

I hope he has the grace to allow Anambra people choose their own future and not impose anyone on the State

Silly and senseless post!

74 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by launique: 5:01pm On Jun 30, 2013
Wow! This is really surprising. Anyway kudos to him. If the likes of buhari, obj, ibb, tinubu etc had done the same, Nigeria would have been better for it.

44 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Honadeadek(m): 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2013
Wishing him the best of God and I hope He will remain true to himself by being a honourable man with his words. Finally, the greatest Nigerian Youth can dream of a Future of themselves with all this people retiring.
A bold step and one worthy of emulation by all.
Thumbs up Peter Obi and May you walk and never stumble.

8 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by dgitrader(m): 6:03pm On Jun 30, 2013
Gov Obi has done greatly for his state and beyound. However, his job isnt finished untill he presents presentable and worthy replacement like himself or bether than. Good leader must produce good succesors. Failure ro do this, will reverse all his hardwork and notable accomplishments. How would he feel if the bank he developed before quiting, had been mismanaged to the point of liquidation now. Gov obi's most critical obligation to his people now is finding a credible and popular succesor to maintain the giant strides.

4 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Sealeddeal(m): 6:26pm On Jun 30, 2013
Gov Obi is reallly a great man. Inspite of PDP filled House of assembly's opposition during his first tenure,he managed to do a great job utilising well,the meagre allocation of anambra state. I so much thank him for job well done.

6 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by kkkp: 6:26pm On Jun 30, 2013
This post has been hidden
Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by greedie1(f): 6:54pm On Jun 30, 2013
very tactful man... i wonder what he has up his sleeves. well good for him.

4 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jun 30, 2013
undecided
meh....
Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by ACM10: 11:37pm On Jun 30, 2013
Adaobi retires. . .How this man managed to win the second term is still a mystery to me. God forbid us having such person as our governor again.

10 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by drake2005: 11:38pm On Jun 30, 2013
Chairman of South-East Governors’s Forum and Anambra State Governor, Mr. Peter Obi has announced his retirement from active politics.

The Governor, who disclosed this on Sunday, said he would quit active politics at the end of his current tenure in March 2014.

He spoke at the thanksgiving service and award ceremony to mark the end of the 2nd Session of the 15th Synod of the Anglican Diocese of Enugu at the St. Bartholomew’s Church, Asata, Enugu.

“A very prominent person called me today and asked me, what is your plan concerning politics after your current tenure, I’m telling you now what I told him.

“For me, I have come to the end of it; I want to quit and rest. However, I have been praying to God that for the sake of the good people of Anambra State, please give them somebody like Peter Obi.

“The level of greed in Nigeria is overwhelming, where people can’t see the suffering of other people, they are just accumulating wealth, for me, it is time to go.

“I wonder why one person should own a house in Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai and he is not using them for anything, people accumulate what they don’t need, it is madness, the level of greed in Nigeria is intolerable.

“I want all of us to be praying for Nigeria, so that God will touch the heart of our leaders to use public money for the people. In Anambra State we have never borrowed money despite all the works we are doing”.

The Governor, who was quite emotional lamented the level of financial waste in government, stressing “the cost of running a governor’s office in Nigeria is too much.

“When I came in as Governor, I discovered that the state had 70 workers in Abuja office, apart from their salary we spend close to 15 million maintaining that office. They have nothing doing there than to come to the airport and welcome me, constituting nuisance, so we re-deployed the workers and closed down the place. Till date, we have not missed them, which means they were really doing nothing there”.

“I urge all of us to pray for greedy people in this country; they are accumulating what they don’t need, stop accumulating things for your children”, he charged politicians, stressing that he had never bought a car for any of his children.

“I have told them to buy cars when they make their money, I have also never celebrated birthday for them. They can do that when they leave my house. We should stop wasting public fund”.

Very shameless comment as smugly said with fruit of ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by bloglover(m): 11:38pm On Jun 30, 2013
I beg am to stay? 4 him mind now im b james bond shey? We nid lite biko, no lite in ma area for d past 2 months oooh
Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by ifihearam: 11:45pm On Jun 30, 2013
mikeansy: no wonder he has been licking the President's backside!

Whats wrong with you people sef?if he had said he wanted to become the president you will complain,now he is retiring for good you are still complaining. Why cant Buhari toll this part instead of making constant ridicule of himself as a serial loser.

Indeed obi is a man of integrity but i sincerely hope he does what he is saying,because come 2014 i dont want anybody to say" my people wants me in the senate to represent their interest"

9 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by mamagee3(f): 11:56pm On Jun 30, 2013
Good for him!!!
Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 30, 2013
Good. If a young man like Obi could think of retirement,what stops Buhari from retiring from active politics?

2 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by 1025: 11:59pm On Jun 30, 2013
why won't he retire since his political father(Ojukwu) is no more. an apga gov who is always moving around with a pdp president. maybe he has been looking for federal contracts. he can't fight the battles ahead. abi he wan go manage his mall wey dey abuja? na nice one sha.

1 Like

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Mkpotu(m): 11:59pm On Jun 30, 2013
"UPDATED: OFFICIAL FACE of BUHARI/TINUBU APC (AS SUBMITTED TO INEC)

National Chairman: Abdulkareem Bisi Akande (Muslim)

Deputy National Chairman: Aminu Bello Masari (Muslim)

National Secretary: Tijjani Musa Tumsah. (Muslim)

Deputy National Secretary: Nasir El-Rufai (Muslim)

National Publicity Secreatary.: Lai Muhammed (Muslim)

Deputy National Publicity Secretary: Isa. Chul (Muslim)

National Treasurer: Sadiya Umar Faruq. (Muslim)

National Financial Secretary: Alhaji. Shaibu Musa (Muslim)

National Youth Leader: Abubakar Lado. (Muslim)

National Legal Adviser: Muiz Banire (Muslim)

National Deputy Auditor: Bala Jibrin (Muslim)

National Vice Chairman, North East: Umar Duhu (Muslim)

National National Vice Chairman, North West: Salisu fagge (Muslim)

National Vice Chairman, North Central: Ahmed Abdullahi Aboki (Muslim)

Zonal Chairman, North West: Senator Sule Garo (Muslim)

Zonal Chairman, South West: Yemi Sani (Muslim)

EX-officio Member: Muniru Muse (Muslim)

EX-officio Member: Alhaji Yemi Sanusi (Muslim)

National Women Leader: Sharia Ikeazor (Muslim Convert; Born and Raised in the North)

All as announced by Alhaji Ali Modu Sheriff (Muslim).

Note: No Northern Christian was picked as National Vice Chairman or Zonal Chairman;why?

Is it not unconstitutional for INEC to register this ethno-religious party?
NB: This update is necessary in order to answer frivolous allegations that some names were deliberately omitted. Yes, I had omitted the names of persons like Tom Ikimi, Anyim Nyerere and Otunba Niyi Adebayo who were appointed National Vice Chairman for South-South, South East and South. West respectively and Senator Annie. Okonkwo who was appointed Deputy National Chairman South. The reason is because these positions must of necessity go to persons who are indigenes of the respective geo-political zone. They are really not what I call day-to-day executive and functional positions; they are completely peripheral." concerned Christian Nigerian

28 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Mayor21(m): 12:03am On Jul 01, 2013
2moro he'll contest 4 presidnt
Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Kulas: 12:03am On Jul 01, 2013
What Obi said here was exactly what he did.I am very proud of Obi anytime anyday.If other politicians will toe his path,tell me why Nigeria cannot be a better country.This write up suppose to be published by all national dailies that our greedy politicians can read it.Hope Tinubu,Buhari,Aneni,obj,IBB,our governors,National Assembly members can learn from Obi.

4 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by sobaemma(m): 12:03am On Jul 01, 2013
U don theif finish they yarn thrash,politician eheen,my guy,or my governor me 2 am an anambra guy from orumba,my man u na hpocrite,pack money way remain and go,stop giving us nnenna and friends super story
Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Touchforfree(m): 12:04am On Jul 01, 2013
LEAVING WHEN THE OVATION IS LOUDEST I'LL SAY; May the Good Lord do unto him the way he would have treated the citizens (Ameen).

2 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by chinedum45(m): 12:09am On Jul 01, 2013
Obi remains the best Governor Anambra. Prudent in spending astute in decisions. In his administration he made sure he built roads to connect all the village. Now I need u to visit upper iweka for yourself. I promise u, u will marvel at the work going on there.
imagine other rulers bowing out like Obi, then the youths will actually become the leaders of tomorrow. Not moving from governor to minister then to senator and all that. This is a great lesson Obi is teaching our rulers....yes rulers not leaders.
remember Obi is a jinx breaker.....he has changed the political sphere of Anambra,,,,,
God bless Obi
God bless Anambra
God bless me

3 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by CrimzP(m): 12:15am On Jul 01, 2013
He is not as greedy as those politician that would go to senate just to remain in the corridor of power. I respect his decisions. Nice one.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by picoba(m): 12:16am On Jul 01, 2013
Gov. Peter Obi
You've said all.I wish we have more of you in Nigeria states. That can think, and act like you, it would have been better. But still help us tell them because you are close to them
Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by DisGuy: 12:18am On Jul 01, 2013
dgitrader: Gov Obi has done greatly for his state and beyound. However, his job isnt finished untill he presents presentable and worthy replacement like himself or bether than. Good leader must produce good succesors. Failure ro do this, will reverse all his hardwork and notable accomplishments. How would he feel if the bank he developed before quiting, had been mismanaged to the point of liquidation now. Gov obi's most critical obligation to his people now is finding a credible and popular succesor to maintain the giant strides.

Why should he be the one to appoint/present a successor?

really?

The people should be able to do that themselves!

1 Like

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by ACM10: 12:20am On Jul 01, 2013
Radio Biafra is hot on his trail. They have launched savage attacks on his personality. Presently, he is politically weak. If he hangs on to politics a little longer, he will be messed for life. So he decided to quit.

1 Like

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by fexlist(m): 12:24am On Jul 01, 2013
If truely he does what he said, it is a welcome idea
Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Ogojohn(m): 12:26am On Jul 01, 2013
ifihearam:

Whats wrong with you people sef?if he had said he wanted to become the president you will complain,now he is retiring for good you are still complaining. Why cant Buhari toll this part instead of making constant ridicule of himself as a serial loser.

Indeed obi is a man of integrity but i sincerely hope he does what he is saying,because come 2014 i dont want anybody to say" my people wants me in the senate to represent their interest"
He hasn't told ANAMBRA people that he is retiring. So far his body language doesnt suggest that he is retiring. is retiring when he is busy re strategizin on how he will permanently retire chief victor umeh from politics.? Is he retiring when he wouldn't allow ANAMBRA citizens to fairly chose who will govern then rather than the imposition he is presently planning.
He should pray as he is already doing and allow God to make his choice. All Mr OBI is sayin is AKUKO NEGWU.

1 Like

Re: Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics by Longeria(m): 12:26am On Jul 01, 2013
I sheds tears to hear this, anyway good things of life hardly last. This is a man who changed Nigeria political landscape forever with his landmark court victories. His prudent financial management proved him as a world class economist. His political fidelity prove him to be a man worthy of of trust. A feminine voice with a lion hear

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Panicky PDP Leaders Meet Jonathan / President Buhari Participates At Nigeria's 62nd Independence Ceremony (Pictures) / CSU Records: Tinubu Submitted Forged Documents To INEC, Atiku’s Aide Alleges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.