Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,247 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Career Software In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Career Software In Nigeria (738 Views)

Best HR Software In Nigeria - Payroll Software For Businesseses / I Need A Recharge Card Printing Software In Port Harcour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Software In Nigeria by TareJosh(m): 5:32pm On Jun 30, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have been looking forward to solving unemployment in Nigeria by the approach of enlightening people more on maximizing the potentials of their career through exploiting various entrepreneurial opportunities they can bring. Many study courses in the university which they feel are irrelevant to this country but not knowing they hold great importance to the success of this country while many are roaming the street because of the certificate in a course they feel has no job opportunity for them.

If you pick 10 young Nigerians and ask them what they will like to be in future, 2 would say doctor, 2 could say lawyer, 1 could say an engineer, 1 could say a banker, 1 could also say a sports man (footballer especially) and the remaining 3 could choose from a musician,actor or Business man. This scenario is a very typical one. it is because of this major professions listed above that there is so much rush in students applying for them in the universities either because of the pay or fame they bring. Many end up not taken and given courses they dont like. But because of various conditions, they do them, graduate and end up abandoning the course to pursue jobs under the above mentioned careers.
A question to ask ourselves, are these the only careers/professions that really brings money and fame?

In our Nigeria today we have over 580 courses thought in our Nigerian universities capable of producing over 800 to 1000 different careers/occupation types. There is a need to enlighten many people on their careers and how they can maximize it. There is also a need for the young ones to make good career choices not just because their friends, sponsors or parents says they should do a particular career - but their choices should be based on informed decisions. Also, graduates need to know if there are ventures out there that carry out careers in their field and how best to access them.

On this note, i came up with an idea of a database software that can give detailed information on careers that can be done in Nigeria and possibly solve some of the above issues mentioned above. I am not a Mr. know-it-all and that is why I am here on Nairaland to seek people who believe in my ideology to help our present generation in using their professions and education to benefit the country and themselves too. I have been able to create a well researched plan for this project but entirely open to opinions and good ideas too for discussions.

From researchers to software developers, from career experts to marketers and from investors to partners who might be willing to take on a project like this, please make your idea contributions and let us possibly work together in achieving a great tool for the benefit of our growing generation.

Thank you
Re: Career Software In Nigeria by hienyimba(m): 1:51am On Jul 01, 2013
nice but not sellable. A gud play on this idea is publishing a brochure like jambs' containing all the salient career choices in uni's today alongside skools offering it nd great people who did the same tin too nd made it. This book can be jointly sold with jambs brochure or u might do a partnership with them.
Re: Career Software In Nigeria by TareJosh(m): 11:32pm On Jul 01, 2013
hienyimba: nice but not sellable. A gud play on this idea is publishing a brochure like jambs' containing all the salient career choices in uni's today alongside schools offering it nd great people who did the same tin too nd made it. This book can be jointly sold with jambs brochure or u might do a partnership with them.

Thanks for your contribution but that's a very myopic view to what this software is all about. It cuts beyond just saying what course is needed to be learnt. This is a database for various careers done in Nigeria. Info on companies to practise the career in Nigeria, resource areas, breakthrough ideas / professionals in the field, articles to reflect on the career, salaries and statistics on the careers and a whole lot more shall be included in this software. The software is open source were people end up updating info on the careers if they feel something is to be added after being vetted by our team.
Re: Career Software In Nigeria by hienyimba(m): 5:48pm On Jul 02, 2013
ok
But how do you start? Wat is ur minimum viable product?
Softwares like Wikipedia's or wiki how that users can update make help
Re: Career Software In Nigeria by TareJosh(m): 7:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
I have started. Created a business plan and in a stage of recruiting team members. I have gotten Software developers from ccHub and highly in need of researchers and Investors/partners that can positively contribute to the success of this project. The basic product to be sold is the contents. Individuals or groups will have to subscribe to navigate through the provisions of the software online. Hopefully when companies are fully following up the software, its my dream to make access free.
Re: Career Software In Nigeria by hienyimba(m): 3:23am On Jul 07, 2013
ok.
#NiceProgress. But what is your pitch if you intend to tell companies about your work! Describe it in 146 characters #elevator pitch..also, why should any1 care? I.e students, orgs, govt
answering these questions nw would help determine your success. Also, d way u want to get data will b scable? i.e to wikipedia size?
It should be user generated i.e crowdsourced to achieve scale. The product should be developed along these lines.
Remembr that the subscription economy do not quite work here in naija so change the model. Also google how successful wikis i.e wikihow did it. Also visit nigerian unis and create cash winning campaigns e.g 5k were students wld submit wat they love most about their majors effectively tricking students to submit valuable information on career paths. Trust me nigerian students do luv to talk about their fields i.e us law students even those in the lesser disciplines love to talk about hw their's is relevant to society e.g a pharmacy student arguing wt me the oda day dat pharmacy is as hard/er than medcine, imagine! Jst one campaign wil giv u a wealth of data to start up. All in all, #BeWise....
Re: Career Software In Nigeria by TareJosh(m): 2:50pm On Jul 07, 2013
hienyimba: ok.
#NiceProgress. But what is your pitch if you intend to tell companies about your work! Describe it in 146 characters #elevator pitch..also, why should any1 care? I.e students, orgs, govt
answering these questions nw would help determine your success. Also, d way u want to get data will b scable? i.e to wikipedia size?
It should be user generated i.e crowdsourced to achieve scale. The product should be developed along these lines.
Remembr that the subscription economy do not quite work here in naija so change the model. Also google how successful wikis i.e wikihow did it. Also visit nigerian unis and create cash winning campaigns e.g 5k were students wld submit wat they love most about their majors effectively tricking students to submit valuable information on career paths. Trust me nigerian students do luv to talk about their fields i.e us law students even those in the lesser disciplines love to talk about hw their's is relevant to society e.g a pharmacy student arguing wt me the oda day dat pharmacy is as hard/er than medcine, imagine! Jst one campaign wil giv u a wealth of data to start up. All in all, #BeWise....

Thanks for your contribution and I am really enjoying the views you are exposing me to.

This project is an encyclopaedia for careers in Nigeria that is bound to benefit career enthusiasts such as the students and fresh graduates, who need to be guided in making good career decisions and also professionals who will love to keep tab with happenings around their career so as to improve on it. It is to have features such as career descriptions, statistics on career performance in Nigeria, requirements for achieving career, articles and links to professionals/companies practicing that career and a whole lot more.

The most reasonable factor here is exposing the Nigerian population to build on their careers for their survival, the career’s survival in Nigeria and also the Nation’s survival. Organisations will definitely use this as a medium in reaching out directly to individuals surrounding their career field or other career field they need to. As for the government, this is directly related with institutional bodies of various careers for which these bodies (such as NIA Nigerian Institute of Architects) use this as a medium in reaching out directly to individuals around their career in a wider platform starting from the enthusiasts down to the professionals.

Well as for generating data, the aim of me recruiting researchers is to create the base data for luncheon on the software and website. The project is majorly website inclined but we aim to produce hard copies on a yearly base. And contents for the website will be updated on a weekly/quarterly basis yearly for the website. I so much welcome your idea on reaching out to students to give one or two contributions, as that is part of my marketing strategy.

Subscription isn't going to be the norm like I said earlier on; it is for the first few years of running. As part of our marketing strategy, we will be dealing with institutions and groups directly not individuals so that we can have a wider base of people using it. Then also the first handlers which are parents/ career coaches and professionals are also our target.

It’s not that I have figured out everything, but as I go on, I will keep gathering new knowledge in making this project a reality.

A question I will need an answer to is, what kind of Investors are best to be approached for a project like this?
Re: Career Software In Nigeria by hienyimba(m): 1:39am On Jul 08, 2013
Trust me there are no decent investors in Nigeria 4 the web. The answer is to build and intirate as quickly as possible. Twitter wldnt hav survived in nig. Monetization must b the norm frm the beginning. It will be marketed as a PaaS (I.E platform as a service) to key players e.g recruitment & training companies think adexen,adecco... This is the first major key to this goal. Investors in Nigeria include @jason of IrokoTV fame. You can contact him on jason @spark.ng but good luck wit that witout a minimum viable product. Also jason funds frm my interactions wit him, mainly ecommerce companies i.e companies that from the begining has a pretty revenue model that is you must show him the money (eg hotels.ng advertising on nl here, drinks.ng, bus.ng e.t.c)

As you can see, i am the only person responding to ur posts, that is bcus i have a huge interest in monetising this career servising industry. It has huge potentials when done well e.g paid job ads, paid ads due to the quality of people in the career chain in a country, advertising to them is relevant to marketing success..
But you hav to sell yourself to make you fly. Using innovative techniques to get pple interestd cus in Nig, pple wld bettr talk about "Iyanya" than their careers. But as you know, famous pple have been successful through their ability to market old offerings in new ways e.g Henry Ford marketed the car as a "horseless carriage" thereby making the car easily adoptable by pple. And him, the 2nd richiest man in history.

Innovative thinking is the key nd will determine hw this will pan out.

Start by changing the name of ur thread to sumthing eye drawin.

By the time you are through with product development nd ur ready for the customer onboarding process, i wil breath unto u some mind buggin strategys. It includes how to get key corporate attention and you wil learn the art of cold-calling (i.e their phones nd pitchng to them).. Na kredit go kill am 4u. Hahaha prepare to buy 5k credit ready down 4 calls. wl also giv u a lot of Human Resoure execs numbers.

U might also wnt to
try career bloggin at the beginin while the product is still in dev. Mode and maybe the gods of Glassdoor.com and TheMuse will be wit u. Those sites get level die in the U.S.
Re: Career Software In Nigeria by TareJosh(m): 7:41am On Jul 28, 2013
Thank you for all your generous support and contributions. If you notice, I went away for a while in other to reflect deeply over all the things you said in your last message. I am working and working hard. That's all that matters now at the project development stage. I need to make my product available.

Nevertheless, I will still be open to any special contribution and support at this development stage I am with. I have been working on the business plan and its financial figures, and I must confess, that it has been going pretty well with a very good ROI compared to the later running costs.

I will need someone who can constructively push a product like this into the market effectively with proper ideas on strategies to generate funds and effectively penetrate the market in addition to the ones I have.

I am absolutely confident that this will go an extra mile in the career industry and will surely work.
Re: Career Software In Nigeria by hienyimba(m): 1:12pm On Jul 28, 2013
ok....Very Good. you should contact me on hienyimba@gmail dot cum.....

(1) (Reply)

Legitimate Means To Make Money Online In Nigeria / How Much Can I Register A Business Name / China Officially Overtakes USA As World's Largest Economy, According To IMF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.