Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 (40343 Views)

Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 - Round 2 - Hot Topics / Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 - Submission Thread For Round 1 / Re: Nairaland’s "The Poet" Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 10:10pm On Jul 01, 2013
Everyone is welcome to participate smiley

Summary:

Nairaland's "the poet" season 2 is a poetry competition initiated to promote poetry, encourage poets and challenge designers.
This activity involves the combination of text and images to interpret, conceptualize and analyze our inner thoughts.
The competition is divided into 4 stages, and each stage carries its own unique task.
Therefore, poets and Designers(i.e. IT professionals, graphic, art and visual designers)would
be paired up in round two. The poets are to concentrate solely on writing. While,
the designers are going to create a cover page for the poems.
This activity is to create an experience better imagined than told!

For Full Description Of The Competition:

Voice-notes:--> Listen Here

*Warning* Long Post/Essay:--> OVERVIEW & INSTRUCTIONS

RECAP of Season 1: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 1

© CUDDLEMII 2013

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 10:10pm On Jul 01, 2013

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 10:11pm On Jul 01, 2013

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 10:11pm On Jul 01, 2013

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 10:12pm On Jul 01, 2013
ROUND 1 -->CLICK HERE

ROUND 2 - THE POET -->CLICK HERE
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 10:12pm On Jul 01, 2013
Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 Overview

ROUND 1 - SHORTLISTING & QUALIFIER:

-August 13th 2013: a thread would be created for submission of all poems.
It’s open to all members of Nairaland!
It is mandatory that you also submit your poem here -->
nairalandpoets@yahoo.com
**Please submit your poems, regardless of if you are a writer or not!wink.
Let us discover and nurture you. Take up the challenge!**

-August 14th 2013: The submission of all poems would end at midnight.
The thread would be locked for the judges to select the top 20 poems.

-The top twenty (20) writers would qualify to move to the next round

ROUND 2 - HOT TOPICS:
-This stage is the integration stage.
-The twenty contestants would be paired up with designers
(i.e. IT professionals, graphic, art and visual designers)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR POETS:
-A pool of topics would be released.
The topics would be divided into 3 sections:
20 points, 10 points, 5 points which are bonus points.

-The contestants would pick the topics they are comfortable with.
Contestants can choose challenging topics,
there is absolutely nothing wrong with stepping out of one's comfort zone.
Contestants can also choose to stick to their usual style of writing.

-Note that, it’s possible to choose a topic that has 20 bonus points,
and still score low marks. The quality is what we would be evaluating.

**So, choose topics you would do justice to. Remember, the judges need to be convinced **

-Present the poem to the viewers using the cover page provided by the Designer.
-You would only concern yourself with writing quality poems.
-It is your responsibility to ensure your team mate(i.e.designer),
understands your poem, and designs effectively.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DESIGNERS:

-You are to work closely with the poet assigned to you to capture the essence of his/her write-up
-You would imagine the writer is releasing his/her book, and then design a cover page for the poem.
-A PowerPoint presentation of not more than 1 slide needs to be submitted for the poem.
-If you do not know how to use PowerPoint, use CorelDraw, Paint or any other software you can maneuver.

FINALLY...
-The judges would score the contestants.
-The judges would also select the best designer. This is to appreciate the designers who contributed to the success of this exercise.
-The coordinator would tally the scores with the bonus points, and 10 writers would move on to the third round.

ROUND 3 -

**Removed because of the complexity involved in implementing it**
Sorry for the inconvenience!

ROUND 4 -

**Removed because of the complexity involved in implementing it**
Sorry for the inconvenience!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by amiskurie(m): 11:24pm On Jul 01, 2013
booked!
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by amiskurie(m): 11:31pm On Jul 01, 2013
benefits better be assured.
good idea sha!
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 11:41pm On Jul 01, 2013
amiskurie: benefits better be assured.
good idea sha!

Please, can you explain what you mean by benefits?
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Tovot: 11:50pm On Jul 01, 2013
ok,but am not a seasoned poet o! welldone cuddlemii!
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 12:24am On Jul 02, 2013
Tovot: ok,but am not a seasoned poet o! welldone cuddlemii!

Hi, it doesn't matter
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by maclatunji: 1:17am On Jul 02, 2013
Cuddles, your organisational acumen is the 9th wonder of the world. #Kudos

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 1:22am On Jul 02, 2013
maclatunji: Cuddles, your organisational acumen is the 9th wonder of the world. #Kudos

Thank you.
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by luvmijeje(f): 3:13am On Jul 02, 2013
Eeeehn! This is how, it suppose to be, Cuddlemii, well done. *following*
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by firestar(f): 6:37am On Jul 02, 2013
Well done Cuddle-hime. cheesy wink
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by scorpidmo(m): 8:44am On Jul 02, 2013
Challenge accepted

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Orikinla(m): 8:48am On Jul 02, 2013
I am impressed.
Believe it or not, this is unprecedented in Nigeria. And Fidelity Bank Plc may want to be part of this competition since the bank is the leading supporter of Nigerian literary culture.
Send the bank a proposal to sponsor a prize for the winner.

Two thumbs up!

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by amiskurie(m): 9:42am On Jul 02, 2013
Orikinla: I am impressed.
Believe it or not, this is unprecedented in Nigeria. And Fidelity Bank Plc may want to be part of this competition since the bank is the leading supporter of Nigerian literary culture.
Send the bank a proposal to sponsor a prize for the winner.

Two thumbs up!
@cuddlemii
thts wat I was talking abt up there.good prize with sponsorship by a genuine organisation. grin
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by amiskurie(m): 9:43am On Jul 02, 2013
I can't wait for this to start o!.
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by EzePromoe: 10:44am On Jul 02, 2013
Cuddlemi, are you back for real shocked
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Naijalastborn(m): 10:47am On Jul 02, 2013
Finally, I got the Chance my Lit-in-English's Teacher denied me Years Ago, I'm ready, bring it on, Nice one Cuddlemii
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by beyonDskygirl(f): 10:53am On Jul 02, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]Nice one. Am in!
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by 1miccza: 10:56am On Jul 02, 2013
Absolutely wonderful!!!Cuddles,,,u are the best!!!Now I can test the strength of my poems!!!! smileyAbsolutely wonderful!!!Cuddles,,,u are the best!!!Now I can test the strength of my poems!!!!
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by amiskurie(m): 11:11am On Jul 02, 2013
1mic_cza: Absolutely wonderful!!!Cuddles,,,u are the best!!!Now I can test the strength of my poems!!!! smileyAbsolutely wonderful!!!Cuddles,,,u are the best!!!Now I can test the strength of my poems!!!!
you will be diappointed competing with mine.Iam a deep thinker and my quotes are heavy. grin
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Pdizzle(m): 11:18am On Jul 02, 2013
Am in
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by HARDDON: 11:30am On Jul 02, 2013
where is my wine wand
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Tinkybabe(f): 12:15pm On Jul 02, 2013
Lovely! Just when I thought this section was dead...good one cuddle!
Cuddlemii ,where are we to send the poems?
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 12:31pm On Jul 02, 2013
FEEDBACK

Sponsorship - this wasn't part of the plan.
But, it is worth exploring. I would have to check in with the admins first.

@Commentators & Contributors: thank you for your support.
Please, your suggestion is important to us. Keep them coming!

Submission of poems: I would create a thread for that.
A week to the competition, the link to the thread would be provided, here.

Designers: please, we are still in need of designers. Support this cause!

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by An0nimus: 12:52pm On Jul 02, 2013
So much potential in this. Welldone Cuddlemii. *following*
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by princesa(f): 1:12pm On Jul 02, 2013
hmmmmm, interesting!
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by ITbomb(m): 2:21pm On Jul 02, 2013
princesa: hmmmmm, interesting!
How about we pairing up. wink
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by princesa(f): 2:45pm On Jul 02, 2013
ITbomb:
How about we pairing up. wink

sure, you do the writing, i do the designing wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. / Faridah Abike-Iyimide Secures MacMillan Million-Dollar Book Deal In USA / My Short Drama Script- Paranoia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.