Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,483 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 - Literature (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 (40342 Views)

Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 - Round 2 - Hot Topics / Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 - Submission Thread For Round 1 / Re: Nairaland’s "The Poet" Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by maclatunji: 12:50am On Aug 28, 2013
jackbauersballs: What's Maclatunji's qualification to judge poetry? undecided

What Is My Qualification?

A great question
Worthy of my attention
I can feel the tension
As you ask based on a notion
That I might not be good enough
If you paid attention
You would see that your question
Has the feel of a tantrum
Not to mention
A little bit of bad-belle
That can only give you constipation
Need I answer the question
After this presentation?

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by jadelord(m): 1:27am On Aug 28, 2013
I HAVE A NAME

I have a name
And it is a beautiful name
No other feels the same
Though many may sound just like it
I have a name
And not everyone knows it
Given to me when to this world I came
Adorable and cuddly, yet I did not know it
I hear my name
Only in my sleep
This name I wear like a mane
With grace and pride planted in my heart deep
This name spoken only in whispers
When drawn to her breast to comfort
The storm and the rage and so the whimpers
Stirring within, desperate to come forth
So I could stand before all men tall
A man etched on stone, forged with metal
That I may stand when all fall
And are trampled beneath feet like the flowers’ petal
What then is in a name to fill me with so much a pride
And courage and strength to be all I can be
To feel the sun within and on a shooting star ride
It is the name my mama gave me.

Couldn't sleep one nyt, so was watching the Channel O music video awards, when female rapper from Uganda gave a talk about her dreams for Africa..... and one phrase she said caught me.... the phrase is 'the name my mother called me'.....and I picked up my pen and wrote this.......

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Nobody: 4:12am On Aug 28, 2013
To all the members under me, just want to say sorry for not responding on time,its not intentional, after coming back from work, i still stay up almost all night doing another freelance work, so let's say i sleep 5 hours almost everyday. that's why its hard replying asap. All the best, sad part is i write poems too, just coouldn't participate will join the next one. grin great job cuddlemii kiss

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by DonOms(m): 5:23am On Aug 28, 2013
maclatunji: My review of the poems for the Competition

Judge 1 from Round 1 and Judge 5 from Round 2.

Now the famous Judge has been unveiled. If there were Round 3, I would have written a great piece on "THE REPENTANT JUDGE!" *smiles* Well done bro!
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Tgirl4real(f): 6:49am On Aug 28, 2013
timpaker:
Huh?

I know its amateur abeg manage am. I've been outta words since today (maybe later) lipsrsealed

Just teasing jare. It's cute.
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by ITbomb(m): 7:23am On Aug 28, 2013
Cuddlemii: Flirting is permitted, just for today wink

You know me na
I didn't have to wait for ur permission
*future husband tinz*
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by ayd91(m): 8:20am On Aug 28, 2013
princesa: Thanks to the organizers and all the judges (xcept the famous Judge 1 offcourse, who was determined to keep dishing me the '9 variants that i so hate! sad) I say thanks to all of you, for your time and effort...

And For those who read my poems and gave me feedback on what they think about it...i love you allsmiley

To My designer and friend, onegig...you know you're the best, right?wink

my friend again, ayd9...its being a while dude, guess you gave in ur all and came out better, well guess what, we tied! Ironical hunh? cheesy

and offcourse, humbled, cuddles, uj-sizzle, tgirl, mynd, shuga, thank you allsmiley

and so...

On to ...forever after!cheesy

hey Princesa, I guess we did. Is that a sign from up above? Lol. Even though I didn't win, I console myself with the thought that I share no5 with 'Princesa' cheesy.
judge 1 of round 2 also rated me low. I'll like to know why?;(
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by ayd91(m): 8:22am On Aug 28, 2013
Congratulations Timpaker, now you stand on the pinnacle of Nairaland's Poetry Corner. smiley.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by ayd91(m): 8:28am On Aug 28, 2013
Rocktation: Oh I was judge 4 in the first round and 3 in the second by the way and my favs include Father-less, Falling off the cliff, Screaming Silence (don't let me go), The feeling game, From the fathers, Scorpidmo's Female circumcision, Orin aro, Classicdea's My alter ego, Jackbauersballs's Rapture and Tim Packer's Hapless seductress.

The Feeling Game? Wow! That's mine. I wasn't sure of that one. Thanks for seeing the sparkle in it.

[quote author=Tgirl4real]I still remember "Forbidden Vitality" by ayd91, only God knows where Cuddle got that from. The topic alone already gave it a twist and the graphics was on point - an apple with thorns. lol grin Good one!

Thanks.
That's the Genius of Centje giving words life.
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by ayd91(m): 8:33am On Aug 28, 2013
I'll provide my own critique of every work as soon as I am chanced (that includes you Princesa cheesy).
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by OMA4U(m): 8:41am On Aug 28, 2013
badmusace: From Little Starts

Before plants grew into giant trees,
They began as minuscule seeds;
Before men reigned as revered kings,
Without aim they crawled as little kids;
Tiny young water bulbs with time
Become the old large lady brine;
That gentle spark of unseen light
Can eat up forests in one hateful spite.
Despise not the days of little beginnings,
For within their grasp still lies graceful endings.

to all who took part

Congrats to timparker !

Love this poem, very encouraging. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Pdizzle(m): 9:31am On Aug 28, 2013
badmusace: Nice one , I once wrote an acrostic.

To most, this may be another odd write up.
Be not shocked it hides the name of one I know.
Remember, it's just a word it hides. A top
Feminine, whom some say her words I follow.
Riddle this, read closely and do tell me who.
I may love her, although I'm not really sure.
I have already given you more than a clue.
She gets up the hidden man with her allure.
Look at my words, scheme through every line,
And soon realize whom, like Poe's "A Valentine".

The first line d first letter, the second line second letter, the third line d third letter and so on. This one actually forms 'temiloluwa'
madt
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by timpaker(m): 9:39am On Aug 28, 2013
ayd91: Congratulations Timpaker, now you stand on the pinnacle of Nairaland's Poetry Corner. smiley.

Heheheheheheh. Its an honour. I just thank my stars that I didn't choose the topic that has to do with "the morgue' cuz I wouldn't have done justice to it like I did with 'The Seductress is Hapless (cuz I have written something like that previously).
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by maclatunji: 10:02am On Aug 28, 2013
Don Oms:
Now the famous Judge has been unveiled. If there were Round 3, I would have written a great piece on "THE REPENTANT JUDGE!" *smiles* Well done bro!

Oh! I did not change at all. I still graded the poems in much the same way I graded in Round 1. What changed was the grading format which I believe flatters the contestants too much.

However, I work within rules and regardless of personal reservations believe that the competition has scored an 'A' in terms of organisation and results. No human endeavour is perfect.
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Pdizzle(m): 10:06am On Aug 28, 2013
ayd91: I'll provide my own critique of every work as soon as I am chanced (that includes you Princesa cheesy).
pls do..was even reserving the best for d finals, anyways we all gud
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by OMA4U(m): 11:21am On Aug 28, 2013
In a nutshell, the competition has come to an end. Congratulations to all participants (including myself, even If I dropped at Round 1), particularly to the reigning Nairaland literary giant - Timpaker. Your poem really hit it, especially your diction.
Hope to see more of your works.
Congrats once again.

She-blayze's Letter to my future husband is another thing to endorse. I was bewitched and moved by the poem. It really got to the core part of me. Nice one!

Princesa's I'm guilty of murder by default is a great poem. It takes a creative mind and a sense of purpose to come up with such a beautiful piece. Good job!

Nairaland writers (Novelists and Poets) are the one whom we call the greats.

Cuddlemii, you're the one we can call our leader. Good job! My regards to oga mod, Mynd and the Judges for spending your precious time for something worthwhile like this. And profound gratitude to Mr. Seun Osewa for creating a medium that brings great minds together.

My humble advice goes to bro. Jack, you're good with your poems, but please learn to handle situations with peace. Don't forget, attitude is everything. I follow this thread to and fro from A to Z. Nevertheless, I gbadun your 'Rapture'. A poem worth reading.

I look up to you guys. We never can tell where this might take us to. Am happy I'm part of this and I've people like you guys to look up to.

See you guys on the pinnacle of achievements. Bless ya'll .

One love, nairaland; one love, Nigeria.

Thanks.
OMA

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by ayobami52(m): 12:08pm On Aug 28, 2013
Have been an advent reader from the begining of the round to the final round .... therefore my critics goes does. . .@Timpacker congratulations, such a lovely poem, and she-blaze,i love your poem, it touches my heart .... and advice goes to jackbaurer.. always try and put on humble act and also respect other people's opinion. ....@princesa u ve got an improvement in u,kip it up... also ohray,u also on my watch list... also the designers, @kenni....I love your work.. .as well as onegig and itbomb....... also to the organizers you all did a great work ...... .

thanks all

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by coogar: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2013
congrats to all the contestants - timpacker deserves a medal although he wasn't my favourite in the whole process but he deserves the victory nonetheless.

everyone did a great job, i cannot even remember if i was judge 3 or judge 9. anyway, i must admit i was particularly pleased with the works of don oms, jackbauer & princesca.

jackbauer's tightly constructed poetry had enough heft in it to compete with don oms longer poem. what i liked about don oms' work was the fact that he maintained a consistent quality throughout.

princesa is another excellent writer - she's the ideal poet. her work had enough substance and it seized my interest right away. her closers did not insult the reader's intelligence as it left no doubt about why the poem was written.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Tgirl4real(f): 4:41pm On Aug 28, 2013
coogar:

princesa is another excellent writer - she's the ideal poet. her work had enough substance and it seized my interest right away. her closers did not insult the reader's intelligence as it left no doubt about why the poem was written.

Exactly!!!
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by princesa(f): 6:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
thank you coogar for the critique, and ofcourse tgirl smiley
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Nobody: 12:46am On Aug 29, 2013
wink

11 Likes

Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 1:57pm On Aug 29, 2013
pc guru: To all the members under me, just want to say sorry for not responding on time,its not intentional, after coming back from work, i still stay up almost all night doing another freelance work, so let's say i sleep 5 hours almost everyday. that's why its hard replying asap. All the best, sad part is i write poems too, just coouldn't participate will join the next one. grin great job cuddlemii kiss

Thank you!
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Cuddlemii: 1:58pm On Aug 29, 2013
ITbomb:
You know me na
I didn't have to wait for ur permission
*future husband tinz*

Hmm, I comment my reserve cheesy
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by DonOms(m): 2:59am On Aug 30, 2013
maclatunji:

Oh! I did not change at all. I still graded the poems in much the same way I graded in Round 1. What changed was the grading format which I believe flatters the contestants too much.

However, I work within rules and regardless of personal reservations believe that the competition has scored an 'A' in terms of organisation and results. No human endeavour is perfect.
Really? It's surprising you didn't change. One would've thought you did. And yes, the organisation and grading was cool. No human is perfect, true, and in fact, I didn't take it personal in any way; I just found it a little weird I guess (did you see my post on page 27 of this thread?)
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by DonOms(m): 3:12am On Aug 30, 2013
coogar: congrats to all the contestants - timpacker deserves a medal although he wasn't my favourite in the whole process but he deserves the victory nonetheless.

everyone did a great job, i cannot even remember if i was judge 3 or judge 9. anyway, i must admit i was particularly pleased with the works of don oms, jackbauer & princesca.

jackbauer's tightly constructed poetry had enough heft in it to compete with don oms longer poem. what i liked about don oms' work was the fact that he maintained a consistent quality throughout.

Thanks a lot about that beautiful comment on my poetry; I'm glad you saw that and it motivates me. And for the record, you're right about Princesa's closers.
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by pasionate(m): 5:43pm On Aug 30, 2013
It has been a wonderful experience so far...you guys rock, 'am really motivated! Kudos to Cuddlemi,humbledYgrace for the organizing part, nice judging all the way, cool designs from the designers, the poets in the house - you guys really opened my eyes to the world poetry. And the last bomb goes to ITBOMB, my special designer...thumbs up guy...will be willing to work with you again,ANYTIME,ANYDAY!

*SIGNING OFF*

-pasionate
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Shugamania(f): 7:42pm On Aug 30, 2013
Hi judges..
My work was rushed, I know. I'ld like to know why it's so bad though - Corrections, to improve. Promise I wont cry cheesy

timpaker: Seriously, I'm speechless. I still can't believe I won.
I wish to congratulate everyone that participated, both the organizers (who gave me the opportunity to tell my story through poetry), judges (who appreciated my work and judged me accordingly), poets(you guys rock! Not to mention those whose I wished I wrote especially the piece titled "two hours to live"wink, designers (especially Kennikazi, that guy na chairman. I'm sorry I bombarded you with grains of mails and for also making you fall in love with my 'seductress').
I could go on and on thanking and appreciating you all...

I'm not perfect, so I'm very open to the doors of improvement.

The poem reflex my personal experience with a woman hence my too many exaggerations in it.
I still don't see myself as a winner. You guys are the winners from whose shadow I'm lucky to find myself.

Thank you.

Awww.. I'll frame this part and hang it up.

Lol.. Thanks Tim and congrats once again. smiley
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by badmusace(m): 10:32pm On Aug 30, 2013
OMA4U:

Love this poem, very encouraging. Thanks.

U welcome
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by badmusace(m): 10:33pm On Aug 30, 2013
Pdizzle: madt
grin
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by Asakel(m): 8:47am On Aug 31, 2013
Princesa's poem was a bomb.
Wow!
And I love it how it ends in 'refrain'
Kudoz sis.
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by princesa(f): 10:31am On Aug 31, 2013
Asakel:
Princesa's poem was a bomb.
Wow!
And I love it how it ends in 'refrain' Kudoz sis.
i hope we can still pick ur pieces grin

thanks brosmiley
Re: Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 by onegig(m): 1:04pm On Aug 31, 2013
princesa:
i hope we can still pick ur pieces grin

thanks brosmiley

sup...howdy?

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (Reply)

Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. / Faridah Abike-Iyimide Secures MacMillan Million-Dollar Book Deal In USA / My Short Drama Script- Paranoia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.