Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship (2746 Views)

INEC Fixes Dates For Edo And Ondo Governorship Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by uche1(m): 2:19pm On May 22, 2006
Oshiomhole Declares Governorship Ambition
AFTER a long period of suspense, President, Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), Adams Oshiomhole, at the weekend disclosed that he will vie for the Edo State governorship race.

He, however, warned against rigging next year's polls, vowing that Labour would resist any attempt at truncating the will of the people this time.

Oshiomhole stated this at Afuze, Edo State at a rally organised by Owan youths to drum up support for his governorhip ambition.

In a speech which dwelt extensively on why he was going to contest the governorship of his home state, Edo, the Labour leader said that the tragedy of the nation was that good and honest Nigerians always refrained from participating in active politics under the guise that it was a dirty game.

"Corruption and bad governance thrive in Nigeria because honest Nigerians do not participate in partisan politics," he said.

The union leader begged to differ with the school of thought which holds that politics is a dirty game, arguing that it is the actors who are dirty and not the art itself, which can be cleansed through the active participation of honest Nigerians.

Oshiomhole remarked that unlike in the past when there was a selection instead of an election, Nigerians should be allowed to freely elect their leaders as it is the only way democracy can thrive in the country.

To those who may be thinking of manipulating the process as they have done in the past, he maintained that the NLC would fight back if winners were imposed.

"All my life, I have been fighting. I am not afraid to fight. Nobody has a monopoly of thuggery," he said amid a deafening ovation.

He said that Nigerians have been so traumatised and disillusioned with politics as a result of massive rigging of votes that most do not even bother to vote, stressing that this time around enough was enough.

He said organised Labour could no longer afford to just sit down and lament while the people's right was being trampled upon with impunity.

Oshiomhole added that he was going into politics with a view to offering quality leadership to the long-suffering people of Edo State and Nigerians who have been pauperised by bad government policies and corruption.

The Labour activist lamented the pathetic state of the nation's public schools and the high rate of graduate unemployment "which has made the average Nigerian to lose hope of a better tomorrow."
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article18/220506
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by kenshin(m): 3:41pm On May 22, 2006
This will now prove whether he is a man who practices what he preaches!
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by MrBean(m): 9:01pm On May 22, 2006
In the words of the great FELA (R.I.P):

Government magic. grin grin grin
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by twinstaiye(m): 9:47pm On May 22, 2006
Yeah, this will let us know if he can be groom 4 presidency.
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by MrBean(m): 9:51pm On May 22, 2006
@twinstaiye

Are you for REAL shocked shocked shocked

Presidency !!!!!! Are you Kidding me ?!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by Scorpio(f): 12:50am On May 23, 2006
yay!!!!!!!! i support him already cheesy
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by LoverBwoy(m): 2:05am On May 23, 2006
with all the rallies and strikes no result just people power for nothing NO RESULT WHATSOEVER!!

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FUEL HIKE STRIKE/RALLY?

i think he should perform as a governor though maybe when he's go the power himself he might actually get results wink
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by gigitte(f): 7:45am On May 23, 2006
yeah, oshoms is my man lol
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by micklplus(m): 7:54am On May 23, 2006
Thats a good development ! atleast , he is credible enough and he wud even have the opportunity of directly holding the bull by the horn as the number one citizen of his state. He also now has the opportunity of carrying out all those things he has been preaching.

He has my support already !
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by pssword: 8:48am On May 23, 2006
Everyone has a price, even oshom. The promise of millionsand the allure of power to shut him up. Gov or president my arse!
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by favourwal(f): 8:56am On May 23, 2006
It' s a wonderful idea. At least let those who criticise the govt so much and feel much more could be done get an opportunity to perform.

But pray they actually perform and are not just talk but no action.

Baba oshoms u have full support. smiley
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by twinstaiye(m): 9:00am On May 23, 2006
mrlawng:

@twinstaiye

Are you for REAL shocked shocked shocked

Presidency !!!!!! Are you Kidding me ?!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked
Sure mrlawng, I am damn real, he is transparent enough, he is labour leader for past 8 years now, without any stain on his name.
pssword:

Everyone has a price, even oshom. The promise of millionsand the allure of power to shut him up. Gov or president my arse!
Nobody is a saint either pssword, I bet if you are in his shoe, you will do worse than that, if you dont want to play ball, somehow, you will, I trust our politician.
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by jeffolala(f): 9:09am On May 23, 2006
oshoms for Edo Governorship, well, i see nothing but army/ civilian arrangement, may God help him
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by akamihe(m): 11:24am On May 23, 2006
Oshoms, u hv m'support in totality. In fact we want more pple like u above 50% good image to get interested.
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by noshaking(f): 4:18pm On May 23, 2006
Am sure if we can have educated and focused people like him in politics there will be a change from the normal routine (Suffering and Smiling)
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by MrBean(m): 4:53pm On May 23, 2006
Hmmmh, , , , Agenda !!!!!!!
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by afrobeat: 6:30pm On May 23, 2006
Posted by: kenshin
This will now prove whether he is a man who practices what he preaches!

Exactly!!

Furthermore, as long as he is not as bad as Igbinedion then I think Edo state is safe
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by kellybaba(m): 7:04pm On May 24, 2006
vote adams oshiomole for govenor,edo state 2007
akanchawa 2007 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by pascal(m): 10:06am On Jun 10, 2006
Well, talking politics is not talking labour matters. i hope the Hawks in corridor of power will allow him to perform.
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by DaHitler(m): 10:13am On Jun 10, 2006
Adam Oshiomole sounds like a Yoruba man. Is he Yoruba? And if so, will the Edos vote for a Yoruba?

I was under the impression that Nigerian State Governors only come from the Majority ethnic group of the State. It would be pretty suprising to see another Ethnic group rule in a State where they are a minority.
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by food4tot: 12:07pm On Jun 10, 2006
why do you think he is Yoruba? Edos are just next door to Yorubas, hence the similarities in names (I don't think their language is similar though)
Re: Adams Oshiomole To Run For Edo State Governorship by stanech: 2:08pm On Jun 10, 2006
Hey this is another good one. I hope he wins. With Duke as president and Oshiomole as governor the sky is da limit for Edo state

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Vice-president Elect Goodluck Attacked / What Does The Punch News Think They Are ? / Nigeria Has Spent $10 Billion On Peace Keeping —oyinlola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.