Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike (20929 Views)

ASUU To Call Off Strike On Monday / Breaking News: ASUU To Embark On Strike / ASUU To Embark On Strike Soon! South East State Universities Are Aready On Indefinite Strike! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Lordave: 12:55pm On Jul 02, 2013
omenka:

And you think that vindicates or justifies the government's sloppyness?

A responsible man honours his agreements. It is as simple as that. I wonder when we would be bold enough to rise up in this country and demand that we be paid what is duely ours by the government. Look at what is going on in Egypt and Brasil, those folks don't take sh1t from the government.

Unless we take what is ours by force (as opposed to violence), we'd continue being tossed around by thesame people who ought to do our biddings, like a yoyo.

Time to act is now. We need a National non partisan figure to lead this march. Things arnt just anywhere close to where they ought to be in this potentially overly powerfull nation.
and you should not also forget that they signed that MoU in 2009, to the best of my knowledge that was in Yar'Adua's tenure, you don't just expect FG to implement whatever agreement they reached. As it's supposed to be, ASSU have to give this present administration time to review that MoU.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by NOLONGTIN1(m): 12:58pm On Jul 02, 2013
Godson201333:

The Federal Government, the union stated, had only implemented the extension of the retirement age of professors to 70, but had failed to pay the earned allowance for lecturers who are assigned other duties apart from teaching, research and community service. The earned allowance is the money paid to lecturers who are assigned to administrative duties such as heads of department, hall wardens, student project’s supervision and examination duties and pay for extra workload on lecturers.

source http://www.punchng.com/education/fg-forced-us-to-embark-on-strike-ASUU/

HAHAAHAA Buhahahahaah LMFAO community service LWKMD

On a more serious note, ASUU should stop acting like they are fighting for the 'education sector', we all know its for their pockets which isn't bad, but there are so many ways to deal with these instead of this their selfish(wicked) method. Its not as if its their salary, its allowances damit!!!

If they really care about the infrastructure in the education sector(as they claim to be), a sch like Unilag wouldn't be so interested(dedicated) in building halls for partys/weddings instead of Laboratory/classrooms

These wicked people are fighting for their pockets/allowances (which is rightfully theirs based on 'MOU'), but there are so many effective ways to fight/compel the government instead of disrupting students' lifes(parent's plans).

So someone expecting to graduate @25 in 2013 will graduate @26 in 2014? NYSC?? and employers are looking for staffs below 27 - My children must go to private sch

1 Like

Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Sirgen05(m): 1:00pm On Jul 02, 2013
I'm imagining when Universities will break their ties with, or at least reduce their overdependence, on Govt or ASUU. Though sch fees will increase but i think that's better. A good example is UNIZIK.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by omenka(m): 1:11pm On Jul 02, 2013
Lordave: and you should not also forget that they signed that MoU in 2009, to the best of my knowledge that was in Yar'Adua's tenure, you don't just expect FG to implement whatever agreement they reached. As it's supposed to be, ASSU have to give this present administration time to review that MoU.

The MoU was signed in 2011 and not 2009, so I don't know where u got that from. Secondly, the Union had embarked on strike over this same issue in feb 2012. What has the government been doing since then? Sittin on their oars and waiting for the problem to resolve itself as they usually do I guess.

Lastly, Government is about continuity sir. The FGN is the FGN regardless of who occupies the office. Yar'Aadua signed it not as Yar'Adua but as the Federal government. Obasanjo wasn't the one who got us into a bad debt situation with the Paris club, but he paid them off anyways. Follow my drift? They are striking against the FG and not Jonathan.

The govt knew they wernt going to honour the agreement, why didn't they renegotiate the terms? We should learn to call a spade a spade.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by nwanyanwu(m): 1:22pm On Jul 02, 2013
well, Nigeria will be better. our comments here have little or no impact,although we must express our feelings. once there is good government, all these things/issues about strikes will be forgotten. the best u can do for the country is pray until God places u in a position to rule or better off someone else who knows the demands of the people. believe Nigeria will be better. it might be in this century or in hundreds of years to come. but the truth is Nigeria will be better. thank you all.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jul 02, 2013
What is ASUU?please,am curious to know..
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by femi2131: 1:23pm On Jul 02, 2013
So,this yeye lecturer can come out to say the FG did not honour agreement!after the minister of Education mandate it for them to use 180 as the Cut off for the jambite Ãήϑ they refuse.I thought they haave money to fund themself ni.......now they depend on the Federal government........even the little most of them collect they don't work for it........comparing themself wit politician.......can they kill?rubish people
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by lemmings(m): 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2013
bigtt76: Abeg make dem go strike joor. Na lecture dem de lecture before? No so so pracking we de hear about dem members? Has any of their graduated students fared better? Everytime failed promise, failed promise ...haba! Come to think of it sef ...no bi dem lecture our politicians wey de steal now? When you don't impart knowledge in people or are harsh to your students they forget you tomorrow.

Happy Strike o! When una taya call us back to class ya. Ewu ASUU

cheesy cheesy cheesy
I love your spirit!! i'm a final year student. Just submitted my project proposal and got it approved. But if ASUU wan fool demselves. Toh,so be it. Anytime them call us back,i go submit my chapter one. Life goes on.

Happy strike to you too.

1 Like

Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Picomon(m): 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2013
Burger01: Nigerian governments don't believe in Nigerian education systems let alone sending their wards for a stint in such systems. Probably, funds would have been set aside to cater for ASUU, NASUU, SSANU, ASUP et al but trust me it's gonna take an eon for such funds so see the light of the day due to improper financial practices from NUC and education ministry.

Students should use this strike period to study for professional exams like ccna, A+, Network+, oca, and some management pro exams rather than just being idle. I recollect ASUU national strike some years ago while in my finals @ the university. Strike lasted 6 damned months. I sat for pro exams which landed me good job immediately after youth service..

Students, take advantage of this strike. Goodluck.

Gbayii padi mi, as if say u knw wetin dey my mind. I go use diz opportunity learn as em dey take play pes, fifa, wrestling so by the time we resume I go dey beat anybody for skul. And earn small change!!!!!

1 Like

Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Acidosis(m): 1:35pm On Jul 02, 2013
anonimi:

Ordinarily your post SEEMS reasonable.
However have you considered how much a SINator of the same government RECEIVES monthly? It is N29 million.
What is their output and productivity RELATIVE to that of a lecturer
You should also find out how much a LG Councillor gets every month then come back and post here.

Absolute rubbish..

Why don't you resign from your lecturing job and pick a form for the post of a legislator...

Why would you, a lecturer who spend 35 years in office eating government and students' money and then another lap of unending cash flow of steady salary after retirement (pension) COMPARE yourself with a councilor who has only 4years to spend in the office??

What sorts of academicians do we have in this country for crying out loud!

Why don't you lots go and protest so GEJ can also pay you the equivalent of Dangote's earnings..

ewu ASUU!
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by biyala: 1:36pm On Jul 02, 2013
femi2131: So,this yeye lecturer can come out to say the FG did not honour agreement!after the minister of Education mandate it for them to use 180 as the Cut off for the jambite Ãήϑ they refuse.I thought they haave money to fund themself ni.......now they depend on the Federal government........even the little most of them collect they don't work for it........comparing themself wit politician.......can they kill?rubish people

Instead of you to go and read and improve your English so that you can pass JAMB in your next trial. You are here exposing your ignorance by writing trash with your horrible grammar.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Acidosis(m): 1:41pm On Jul 02, 2013
JW214:

Grduate Assistant gets 140k per month? What school is that please? Are you talking about total monthly INCOME(legal and illegal) or their basic salary? Then who pays that much, State or FG?

Then you need to compare what the workers in the Health sector and Security with the Civil service get if you want to be fair with those in the academics

ASUU, ASUP and FG should give room to settle this issue once and for ever

Stop comparing the job of a lecturer with others e.g Security; Civil service..

I remember when I was in school, some of my lecturers travel abroad for months to study.. Lecturers have all the time to do other stuffs...

Many holidays.. atleast twice a year!

Have you ever met a police officer on break? Do Police embark on strike actions?
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Tunby(m): 1:49pm On Jul 02, 2013
"Ope o!!!" .A great opportunity for me to catch up with these my lecturers that have been running like Hussein bolt with the syllabus and probably some time to hustle too.Sorry to those this will
Seriously affect negatively.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Lordave: 1:55pm On Jul 02, 2013
omenka:

The MoU was signed in 2011 and not 2009, so I don't know where u got that from. Secondly, the Union had embarked on strike over this same issue in feb 2012. What has the government been doing since then? Sittin on their oars and waiting for the problem to resolve itself as they usually do I guess.

Lastly, Government is about continuity sir. The FGN is the FGN regardless of who occupies the office. Yar'Aadua signed it not as Yar'Adua but as the Federal government. Obasanjo wasn't the one who got us into a bad debt situation with the Paris club, but he paid them off anyways. Follow my drift? They are striking against the FG and not Jonathan.

The govt knew they wernt going to honour the agreement, why didn't they renegotiate the terms? We should learn to call a spade a spade.
they had an initial agreement with FG and that's in 2009.
However, I still think that FG should be given time to review whatever agreement they reached, cuz some of the things they are asking for are awkwardly ridiculous. I don't know why their retirement age should be extended to 70 years while we have a handfull of those they taught in school looking for a post to occupy.
And again, embarking on an indefinite strike would not give them the desired result, neither would it do any good to our students, cuz it's nothing to do with most of the govt officials who have their children in various high institutions abroad. They could have sort out their grievance with the FG in many other ways rather than embarking on a strike.
FG as well should listent to them as soon as possible to save our youths from a beleaguered future.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Tunby(m): 1:57pm On Jul 02, 2013
Acidosis:

Absolute rubbish..

Why don't you resign from your lecturing job and pick a form for the post of a legislator...

Why would you, a lecturer who spend 35 years in office eating government and students' money and then another lap of unending cash flow of steady salary after retirement (pension) COMPARE yourself with a councilor who has only 4years to spend in the office??

What sorts of academicians do we have in this country for crying out loud!

Why don't you lots go and protest so GEJ can also pay you the equivalent of Dangote's earnings..

ewu ASUU!
Forget it.They deserve their money.They've worked hard for it.High intellectuals for that matter.It's not easy to be a tertiary institution lecturer o.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Tunby(m): 2:03pm On Jul 02, 2013
Adewunmi84: What is ASUU?please,am curious to know..
.Almost thought you were not Nigerian.But then, Adewumi.Come on...
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Tunby(m): 2:06pm On Jul 02, 2013
Sirgen05: I'm imagining when Universities will break their ties with, or at least reduce their overdependence, on Govt or ASUU. Though sch fees will increase but i think that's better. A good example is UNIZIK.
.You have a lot of money "abi".
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Gifted4all(m): 2:06pm On Jul 02, 2013
When will this country of ours be stable?our educational sector keeps falling apart every year and the FG still remains adamart to it.well i pity d student.dis strike of a tin has to stop for gud
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by haitto99(m): 2:08pm On Jul 02, 2013
HAH: To be frank lecturers are one of the main culprits in the failure of education in Nigeria.

I don't know why they feel so important, for goodness sake a graduate assistant receives about 140k monthly while a level 8 civil sevant receives 60k monthly. And the lecturers have so many other business they indulge in.

u wrong d basic salary of a GA is about 90k
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Godwin10(m): 2:14pm On Jul 02, 2013
Www.positive to some also negative to some.com. Thats all
If you wish to look for a means of income this month, then check out the link on my signature and you will go on your own personal strike. Cheers
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by sakaguchi(m): 2:23pm On Jul 02, 2013
m.esther96:
av u eva been 2 schl coz i cn c dt u r nt concerned!
Ehm! JAMBito to be, I'm in school as I write and I'm thinking of when I'll graduate. All the best in your PUTME...lols
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by osehe(m): 3:22pm On Jul 02, 2013
Enangson: We were all happy when a University Graduate became our President. Cos as Student we thought the Education sector will benefit alot from the government.
We never new we were working wit an idiot. 4get Goodluck he is d highest illiterate I hav ever seen as aa president.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Kizitoseventeen(m): 3:38pm On Jul 02, 2013
obi4eze:

Very silly excuse by the FG. So unfortunate that we have a bunch of very insensitive leaders that send their children abroad while the universities in their homeland suffer. Too bad. angry

How on earth did they forget to include the allowance in the budget? I'm beginning to think that they're lying.

Something needs to happen for things to change.
that thing that need to happen for change to come is a coup d etat.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by AlPicapcI(m): 3:45pm On Jul 02, 2013
dedons: part-time is illegal
this is exactly what the problem is, "parttime is illegal" BAD FOLLOWERSHIP!!!all our things in this country tends to be unappreciated,who is your father?, you must have been one of his mistakes.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by mesther96(f): 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2013
sakaguchi:
Ehm! JAMBito to be, I'm in school as I write and I'm thinking of when I'll graduate. All the best in your PUTME...lols
smileysmileysmiley.which course is dt hope is nt sexologywink

1 Like

Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by slap1(m): 4:11pm On Jul 02, 2013
The lecturers and ASUU should hide their pitiable, shameless, ugly, freckled faces in shame. Prosthetic-brained creatures parading commodious, plagiarism-propelled 'textbooks' all over the campus. Despite their good pay, they still embark on strike for a paltry 12 to 15 thousand naira? SHAME ON THEM!
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by 1121: 4:29pm On Jul 02, 2013
HAH: To be frank lecturers are one of the main culprits in the failure of education in Nigeria.

I don't know why they feel so important, for goodness sake a graduate assistant receives about 140k monthly while a level 8 civil sevant receives 60k monthly. And the lecturers have so many other business they indulge in.

Pls get ur fact right. That's the amount earned by assistant lecturers
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by 1121: 4:32pm On Jul 02, 2013

Pls get ur fact right. That's the amount earned by lecturer II. Assistant lecturers earn N121 while GA take N96
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Prestige48(m): 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2013
Am a final yr student and i know how bad dis is.I think Assu is d most wicked and greedy union in nigeria.most of our lecturers earn more dan medical doctors n school teachers..dey even hardly cme 4 lectures n u have 2 sooth(bribe) dem b4 u pass exams(even no mata hw u read).Nobody is doin anytin 2 adress dis...i tink its high tym nigeria students fight 4 der right...wake up nigeria youths!
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Prestige48(m): 5:31pm On Jul 02, 2013
1121:
Pls get ur fact right. That's the amount earned by lecturer II. Assistant lecturers earn N121 while GA take N96
bros wer u get ur own fake fact..cos my elder sister is a GA in Esut and earns more than dat...so shut up,...linus mba!
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Unigrad: 6:54pm On Jul 02, 2013
m.esther96:
eeeeyah!

u mean i wnt writ my putme dz mont??sad
. Strike will not affect post utme o.
Re: FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike by Unigrad: 7:08pm On Jul 02, 2013
Enangson: We were all happy when a University Graduate became our President. Cos as Student we thought the Education sector will benefit alot from the government.
. There is difference between d practical meaning of strike and theoritical meaning. Those people in Government dont know d practical meaning of strike because during their time of schooling, there was nothing like strike. How will u expect them to respond when they have not witness strike themselves? Is there hope in this country?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Update On Constructions At ESUT College Of Medicine, Igbo-Eno / Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola / WAEC Result Upgrade Is Fake See Why You Should Not Do It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.