Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? (15527 Views)

Help: Does Ofada Rice Smell So Bad?? / How To Remove Food Smell From Your Storage Containers / Does My Food Smell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by Nobody: 6:06am On Jul 02, 2013
So my aunt stopped by my house from Nigeria and promised to make me some eguse soup which is one of my favorite Naija food. Yeah I eat it with boiled plantain.

I got home and honestly I didn't like the smell of my entire house down and upstairs smells like a big fat mess. My nose detects ish from mile away.

Now my question is, why do Nigeria food smell so bad especially Igbo's?

I asked my Yoruba family friend why her food never oozed out the way Igbo's does and she said because they fry most of their dishes?

I didn't wanna ask my aunt so I don't hurt her feelings.
Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by slimyem: 6:28am On Jul 02, 2013
Your aunt is a bad cook or probably some of the ingredients she used were spoilt.Egusi doesn't smell as bad as you describe.
Btw,what kinda combo is egusi and plantain? shockedshocked

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by EfemenaXY: 6:29am On Jul 02, 2013
REALITY101: So my aunt stopped by my house from Nigeria and promised to make me some eguse soup which is one of my favorite Naija food. Yeah I eat it with boiled plantain.

I got home and honestly I didn't like the smell of my entire house down and upstairs smells like a big fat mess. My nose detects ish from mile away.

Now my question is, why do Nigeria food smell so bad especially Igbo's?

I asked my Yoruba family friend why her food never oozed out the way Igbo's does and she said because they fry most of their dishes?

I didn't wanna ask my aunt so I don't hurt her feelings.

I don't think it's very nice of you to generalise an entire tribe and use your aunt's cooking as a yardstick to judge and condemn Igbo dishes.

I'm not Igbo, but I schooled at the East and their Ogbolo soup was spot on. And their healthy use of vegetables is admirable. I learnt quite a lot and took back home when on holiday.

Does your aunt's cooking always 'smell' (your words, not mine) or was that a one-off incidence? Also, have you considered it might be that one or some of the ingredients she used was a bit 'off' and had gone past its / their expiry date(s).

And finally, why don't you learn how to cook? ie, if you don't already know how to? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by Nobody: 6:35am On Jul 02, 2013
slimyem: Your aunt is a bad cook or probably some of the ingredients she used were spoilt.Egusi doesn't smell as bad as you describe.
Btw,what kinda combo is egusi and plantain? shockedshocked

cheesy that combo taste really good to me smiley try it and thank me later.

She's not a bad cook. Don't make me tell on you angry
Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by ckkris: 6:39am On Jul 02, 2013
Ogili

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by vanitty: 6:39am On Jul 02, 2013
Awwww!
I won't say "smell" but almost all Nigeria food most especially the stew and soups have a very "heavy" scent, you can blame it, by the time you have added crayfish, "eru", onions and all the rest, it has no choice. Same with Indian curries as well.
You will know when you are having lunch at the office tea room and it is only the Africans that have to "excuse my food" haha
Won't have it any other damn way if the alternative is bland food

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by Nobody: 6:42am On Jul 02, 2013
Efemena_xy:

I don't think it's very nice of you to generalise an entire tribe and use your aunt's cooking as a yardstick to judge and condemn Igbo dishes.

I'm not Igbo, but I schooled at the East and their Ogbolo soup was spot on. And their healthy use of vegetables is admirable. I learnt quite a lot and took back home when on holiday.

Does your aunt's cooking always 'smell' (your words, not mine) or was that a one-off incidence? Also, have you considered it might be that one or some of the ingredients she used was a bit 'off' and had gone past its / their expiry date(s).

And finally, why don't you learn how to cook? ie, if you don't already know how to? undecided

I am not generalizing bro, I'm just keeping it 100. Yes I know how to cook those foods that I love lol and when I do, I usually cook them at my family house smiley btw eguse soup is not hard to cook. Even my Mexican house keeper knows how to make it.
Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by EfemenaXY: 6:43am On Jul 02, 2013
vanitty: Awwww!
I won't say "smell" but almost all Nigeria food most especially the stew and soups have a very "heavy" scent, you can blame it, by the time you have added crayfish, "eru", onions and all the rest, it has no choice. Same with Indian curries as well.
You will know when you are having lunch at the office tea room and it is only the Africans that have to "excuse my food" haha
Won't have it any other damn way if the alternative is bland food

Lol!

Or a visible sign that suddenly pops up anonymously in the middle of the office floor that reads: "Please be considerate of your co-workers during meal times!" shocked shocked cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 02, 2013
^^
Maybe she used stockfish. Okporoko grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 02, 2013
Tis Kind Is on It again...
Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by kreamidiva(f): 9:29am On Jul 02, 2013
ziddy: ^^
Maybe she used stockfish. Okporoko grin
Or maybe she used ogiri too.it sure has an awful smell.igbos have d best delicacies available in 9ja. U wan try..... tongue

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by Rooneyboy(m): 9:32am On Jul 02, 2013
Ogiri things I guess grin

That is local flavour man.

*u be correct bush man ooo .

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by mickel2223(m): 1:33pm On Jul 02, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Ogiri does d whole magic cos it smells like chit!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 02, 2013
kreami diva: Or maybe she used ogiri too.it sure has an awful smell.igbos have d best delicacies available in 9ja. U wan try..... tongue

Lol. I don't know what that is but trust me it smells like shiit.
Re: Why Do Nigeria/igbo Food Smell So Bad? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 02, 2013
El Guapo: Tis Kind Is on It again...

Stay outta drugs son.

(1) (Reply)

Thread For Guys Who Can Cook / Lawyer, Monday Ubani Threatens Lawsuit Over Ponmo Ban / How Much Is Chicken In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.