Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice (10167 Views)

The Benefits Of Being An Entrepreneur Compared With Having A Paid Job!!! / N800,000 Credit Alert From An Unknown Person - Please Advice / Is Entrepreneurship For You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by nell07(m): 12:42pm On Jul 02, 2013
Sorry guys...
I just couldn't help but wonder out loud...there's no shame in admitting that you're lost/confused .........or is there? Well either way, shame is the least of my problems right now.

Honestly I've been very worried lately .
Right from my undergraduate days, I had always felt that entrepreneurship is the way for me... But now, listening to family and friends, I'm beginning to think that I'm the one who hasn't embraced reality yet.

It's even made to seem more futile when the things I see around "obviously" point to strongly validate their (friends and family) points.

So I've come here to seek the insightful AND PRACTICAL a advice of NLers:

Do you think getting a paid job is a more realistic target for a fresher like me? (Afterall I've seen young people earn healthy sums working for big multinationals).....bear in mind, I 'm not thinking this way because I performed poorly in school.... I made a healthy 2'1 from a reputable federal university.

Do yuu think there's still a way a fresher can go into the business world and come out triumphant specially in Nigeria where even getting power for production processes is "further maths"?

Please are there any other persons in my shoes out there, lets rub minds together...
Also, I'd GREATLY appreciate any piece of advice from any of our elders in the house. Please let's learn from your experience.
A sound piece of advice is like gold to me right now..
Especially when I don't know where to start.

8 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by olutise(f): 1:11pm On Jul 02, 2013
you are really wise for asking because anyone who is mislead by family or friends will end up blaming him/herself.

I was once like you when i finish my OND programme i wish to run my Industrial trainee in a place of my passion but my family got a placement somewhere not related to my course just becos its connection and then i became a staff.
However, before i got admission to school i was introduced to a business which i dropped after i gained admission. now my brother i have worked for five years in this company and was retrenched last year October with #150,000 instead of #500,0000 because the company is undergoing financial stress. i just met some my friends that were also introduced to that business then, but they carried on and i can't imagine what they have achieved. they earn in millions and travel as if they are going to Eko market.

Being an Entrepreneur is the best especially when you are still alone, its like you are building a company. if you are looking for job placement then you dont have a leading spirit becos dat company you want to enter started small and you can also start small though it will be tough in ur early days but you can be sure that when it becomes big you will employ genius graduates to manage it for you.

i am back in the business i negleted am succeeding by the grace of God. you can also come on board it you want to. my Tel is 08037433968

9 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by nell07(m): 1:52pm On Jul 02, 2013
Wow!...
thanks a lot sis.... I'll contact you asap.
I appreciate your input. You have no idea how much
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by nell07(m): 2:36pm On Jul 02, 2013
C'mon guys

I need to hear from y'all
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:11pm On Jul 02, 2013
You are right,donot allow negative monger to mislead you.Go into a business.
Take the bold step and start something.Move away from the negative people in your life,associate more with positive people.
C'mon unleashed the talent God has endowed you with.

We have land for rent @5,000/hectare in Ogun state and also do consult for crops like melon,cassava,maize and cucumber production.
We also consult for poultry,fishery,piggery
For full proposal you can contact:
The Farm Manager,
Mr.Gbenga:
08101148992, 01-7910494 or email gyusuff@gmail.com or like us on www.facebook.com/Lesgupnigeria

1 Like

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by nell07(m): 9:45pm On Jul 02, 2013
Lesgupnigeria: You are right,donot allow negative monger to mislead you.Go into a business.
Take the bold step and start something.Move away from the negative people in your life,associate more with positive people.
C'mon unleashed the talent God has endowed you with.

We have land for rent @5,000/hectare in Ogun state and also do consult for crops like melon,cassava,maize and cucumber production.
We also consult for poultry,fishery,piggery
For full proposal you can contact:
The Farm Manager,
Mr.Gbenga:
08101148992, 01-7910494 or email gyusuff@gmail.com or like us on www.facebook.com/Lesgupnigeria

Cmon Sir.... If your aim is just to advertise...I'm afraid you've got the wrongest target.

I appreciate your comment though....
In truth agriculture is the future of Nigeria.
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by naijacutee(f): 10:00pm On Jul 02, 2013
I think following your heart is paramount, as when you face difficulties, you need passion to weather the storm. If entrepreneurship is you passion, then don't give it up for short-term gain, unless the short-term gains would somehow help you achieve your long-term entrepreneurship goals. Whatever you do, never ever ever get stuck in "just surviving"... That's not all you were born to do. Great topic by the way. Suggested for front page.

6 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by digitite: 10:20pm On Jul 02, 2013
Firstly, I applaud your sense of self and seeking to know better outside of your comfort zone. A rooted piece of advice I would give you is to follow your heart and look toward the future. Never do anything to please anyone but what is GOOD for you and your future goals. You can listen to your friends/family and learn something from them but the ultimate decision rest with you. In due time,you will be the one to sow and reap; whatever the outcome.

From experience, I have got tangible advice and ideas on vast realms of interest/entrepreneurship goals. I need to know certain things like your strengths, weaknesses, passion, and so on, to flourish you with a beneficial long term business plan. Mind you, I am not gonna share such business strategy on a public forum, we can communicate by email if you so desire.

Bless you.
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by millhouse: 12:19am On Jul 03, 2013
Don't follow d band wagon , set out on your own path and follow your passion . Our time here is limited

1 Like

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by Nobody: 12:45am On Jul 03, 2013
My life turned around and my brain became electrified when I first read 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' just a few months before I finished my OND, a few years ago.

Entrepreneurship is good if you have the passion. As for me, the game of creating IDEAS with my brain and bringing them to life to make money gives me orga*sm lol.

Well, passion is the thing... Without passion, you wont survive out there. It's not easy because there are lots of bumpy, potty roads ahead.

I am a corper but currently on verge of sealing a deal that thousands of corpers will ever dream of and when I am done, trust me to make more money... I didn't start today but four years of concrete studies, actions, failing etc.

7 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by 1forall: 3:00am On Jul 03, 2013
It's great that you know where your heart lies because there are many who don't, so that's a good first step.

Since you ask, I actually think you're at the BEST stage to begin your career as an entrepreneur. Yes! You're at the easiest of career crossroads to negotiate. Not that it's easy, but it certainly shall become a more difficult decision to make once you get into the lifestyle of paid employment. Plus the mind is more creative when not expecting a salary.

Now I understand the influence of family in such decision making, and how they have sort of made sense to you by presenting all the reasons why you shouldn't. However, your heart isn't going to keep quiet if you settle for the immediate security of a day job. It's like marrying your second choice of partner because your family simply don't like your first choice, you'll always wonder, what if...?

It's unfortunate how family can impede the realization of dreams and visions in trying to protect children. They most probably do it out of love but sometimes it's not in a child's best interest - I pay till today for not standing up for some things I believed in to my family back then. Read that again, I pay, not them.

A friend has a similar story which I posted here https://www.nairaland.com/1343730/why-chose-entrepreneurial-career yesterday (conicidence?). I think you should read it because it seems to address your current and potential future situation(s).

You say your family have managed to shake your conviction a little by presenting certain "obvious" and realistic points to you, and you sound like you won't have been confused nor considering job hunting if not for them. Unfortunately, family can be the worst critics because they know you very well. Therefore I think right now that your immediate concern is gaining the support of your family for what you believe in which leads to these questions:

have you presented your own counter-arguments to them?
do you have a business vision/idea already?
have you sold the vision/idea to them?
can they see how ambitious you are for the business it, does it show?
do you have a past of entrepreneurial adventure that they know about?

Now I don't know your answers but believe they should help you gauge where you stand and hence what you need to do.

See, on the road to entrepreneurial freedom there is no scarcity of challenges. So I think you should consider yourself an entrepreneur already and approach this issue as a challenge to your business which you have to get over.

If you don't have one already, you NEED a business plan, period. It's non-negotiable. It's even more so as you have people to win over. In the family situation you've described, a business plan is absolutely vital if you're going to need their investment.

So, if you have your own business vision (and are not lifting anybody else's), write your business plan yourself. With your qualifications there's no reason why you should be unable to. The reason is because engaging in the business planning process helps you to learn more about your venture. It forces you to ask yourself critical questions and compels you to undertake research necessary to answer them. No matter what you think you know about your business already, you'd be pleasantly surprised at what you'll find out when you actually begin to write a plan for it. Hit me up if you need help with this.

Another reason is that figures communicate more clearly than words. A well done plan would present your business' investment requirements, profitability and other financial details in plain figures, and everybody understands ₦ & k.

Furthermore, be about your business and allow your passion to drive you. Don't get discouraged by the convenient arguments against your dream/vision/idea to the extent that you stop acting on it because your actions send a far louder message than you could ever speak. Yes, figures speak clearer, but actions speak louder than words (imagine if you combine both).

Finally, to embody the above paragraph, I'll give you a testimony. Four years ago I saw an entrepreneurial opportunity that fitted into an idea I had held for a while and discussed it with a close family member because I needed a little investment. He didn't think it was a good idea and gave reasons why - good reasons, but I knew it was because he didn't see things the way I did. Words had failed to convey the conviction I had in my heart. I was disappointed; however, I made sacrifices and managed to raise the funds myself to start out. Of course there were challenges but there was no choice than to deal with them as I was already committed. Months later after this same guy heard I had started and things were rolling, I overheard him literally bragging about my super business sense to someone cheesy

So dear friend, formulate a business plan and start to act now. Let your desire to be an entrepreneur ooze out of you and don't miss this opportunity to stand out. Good luck!

8 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by incometrader(m): 6:09am On Jul 03, 2013
Just one sentence from me 2 u: Starting a business is difficult, growing the business is even more difficult BUT if you persist in months and years to come, it will pay you more than a paid job... much more...extremely much more.

6 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by rozayx5(m): 6:28am On Jul 03, 2013
and why is this not on the frontpage

my 2 cent follow your heart Bro, if you know deep down inside you that you have a passion for business then you wont perform fine as an employee, but if you wanna grab a job for jobs sake and family sake you can do so, but remember every man bears responsibility for his actions

3 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by wizecoder1: 6:37am On Jul 03, 2013
Guy if you need third party validation, that means you are not ready.... You have to be prepared to pay your dues as an entrepreneur... Can you survive with zero kobo as salary for six months...lol...
You will either make shitload of money or remain a poor husler.
But note...HE WHO TRADES FREEDOM FOR SECURITY DESERVE NEITHER FREEDOM NOR SECURITY.

3 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by Originalsly: 7:45am On Jul 03, 2013
Where is all this "passion" for business and "follow your heart" coming from? Let's not get it twisted. @OP...If you get a paid job opportunity...grab it..."a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".It doesn't mean that you're locked for life in that job. The money you make here, the job experience you gain, the contacts you make, the reputation you build, the PR skills you develop, management skills..of people and time....all of these would be Of tremendous value to you if you decide to be an entrepreneur. Then again it doesn't have to be either or...you can be in a paid job and start your business at the same time. If your business is not going as well as expected you can call it quits...and would still have a reliable source of income. If the business is doing great then you can always quit the paid job. In the long run I think being an entrepreneur is much better but that choice does not bear fruit overnight...and often never bear much fruit period.I would say the main thing is getting into a business where there is not much competition, a high and constant demand for your product or service and one in which you can continuously provide that service or product at a standard that never falls and that would be building reputation which is so huge to a business. Think Toyota! So I say for now...job first then figure out what is best for you as an entrepreneur. Last words...business is not about heart...about passion...about family nor friends....it is all about dollars and hmmm....sense.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 03, 2013
Originalsly: Where is all this "passion" for business and "follow your heart" coming from? Let's not get it twisted. @OP...If you get a paid job opportunity...grab it..."a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".It doesn't mean that you're locked for life in that job. The money you make here, the job experience you gain, the contacts you make, the reputation you build, the PR skills you develop, management skills..of people and time....all of these would be Of tremendous value to you if you decide to be an entrepreneur. Then again it doesn't have to be either or...you can be in a paid job and start your business at the same time. If your business is not going as well as expected you can call it quits...and would still have a reliable source of income. If the business is doing great then you can always quit the paid job. In the long run I think being an entrepreneur is much better but that choice does not bear fruit overnight...and often never bear much fruit period.I would say the main thing is getting into a business where there is not much competition, a high and constant demand for your product or service and one in which you can continuously provide that service or product at a standard that never falls and that would be building reputation which is so huge to a business. Think Toyota! So I say for now...job first then figure out what is best for you as an entrepreneur. Last words...business is not about heart...about passion...about family nor friends....it is all about dollars and hmmm....sense.

This is the "bestest" comment thus far, she just took d words ouuta my mouth, OP u should go by dis ingenuis idea she gave. N to add to it, the business u wanna venture into, U'll need capital 2 strt it up n keep it running 4d while, where will d capital come 4rm? U should answer dat.
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by devour129: 1:42pm On Jul 03, 2013
Get a paid job and raise capital for your business .you can always do your business by the side if your paid job allows you.i hate borrowing so won't advice you to borrow money to raise capital.
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by delors(m): 1:42pm On Jul 03, 2013
My take on this is that you should try to get a paid job for now. There are many reasons for this. 1, being a fresh graduate, chances are there will be high demand for you because they'll believe your brain is still fresh and you are eager and enthusiastic to work. 2, you need a corporate life experience so that you'll know exactly how businesses are run. that will give you an idea of how to manage your business properly 9unless you are looking at being a recharge card seller in which case you'd need no corporate experience). 3, if you start straight into business of your own, flowing from No 2, inexperience could ruin your business and create a whole load of negative energy. No 4, You need capital and one solid way to get it is by getting a well paid job (Although a well paid job could be a mirage in Nigeria). Finally, if you start off as an entrepreneur, you might find it hard to start applying for jobs after a while.
On the other hand, if you have been doing your business before and you have years of experience (even as a fresh graduate, you could go straight into it (provided you have the capital and courage). I know many who plunged into it straight after NYSC and are doing great now. It was rough initially but I think they are making sense now. So, if you get a well paid job, I would advice you take it...it is the easiest way to start own business. As the Yoruba would say (I bi pelebe la tin mu ole je...lolz) We start eating moi moi from the flat angle - the easy angle...lolz. Pardon that but I hope you get the drift. All the best bro.

1 Like

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by lifestyle1(m): 1:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
Do you have any job offer ?
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by hunkydory(m): 1:44pm On Jul 03, 2013
Take a paid job to gather experience.You can do business later.It depends on ur current age anyway.
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by ifyalways(f): 1:55pm On Jul 03, 2013
Take up a paid job for at least 6 months before going solo. My reasons are :
Discipline : you'll understand,grasp what "discipline" actually means when u are an employee.
Experience: you need it. Work,human relationship, customer service etc
Networking.

Abeg, I no fit type plenty grammar.

1 Like

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 03, 2013
Paid Job. But if you can't find one, Entrepreneurship.
Just know, the latter is 50 / 50. But do ur assigment very well before u jump into the latter to minimise failure. And money making should not be ur priority, but your customers.
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by grandstar(m): 1:57pm On Jul 03, 2013
Go for biz. A job that pays you 200k monthly will demand you work 4am to 11pm i.e. waking up to reaching home and sleeping. a single deal can bring you that much. also some biz need little start up capital i.e. importation of laptops through internet

2 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 03, 2013
Originalsly: Where is all this "passion" for business and "follow your heart" coming from? Let's not get it twisted. @OP...If you get a paid job opportunity...grab it..."a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".It doesn't mean that you're locked for life in that job. The money you make here, the job experience you gain, the contacts you make, the reputation you build, the PR skills you develop, management skills..of people and time....all of these would be Of tremendous value to you if you decide to be an entrepreneur. Then again it doesn't have to be either or...you can be in a paid job and start your business at the same time. If your business is not going as well as expected you can call it quits...and would still have a reliable source of income. If the business is doing great then you can always quit the paid job. In the long run I think being an entrepreneur is much better but that choice does not bear fruit overnight...and often never bear much fruit period.I would say the main thing is getting into a business where there is not much competition, a high and constant demand for your product or service and one in which you can continuously provide that service or product at a standard that never falls and that would be building reputation which is so huge to a business. Think Toyota! So I say for now...job first then figure out what is best for you as an entrepreneur. Last words...business is not about heart...about passion...about family nor friends....it is all about dollars and hmmm....sense.
1000 000 likes.
You took those words right out of my mouth.I couldn't say it better.

1 Like

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by Cultured(m): 2:00pm On Jul 03, 2013
@Originalsly

Nice words you you've put up there . However, permit me to say your opinion is that of an enlightened person , who's not entrepreneur informed.

@op ,
The time to start your journey in the entrepreneurship world is now ,because the moment you created a " fall back plan " , then your chances of quitting at any slightest challenge you might encountered on the process of building yourself becomes higher than normal , thus your failure rate is inevitable. Every successful entrepreneur has it at the back of their mind that the word " impossible " does not exist in reality . I'm wishing you good luck .

3 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by success4(m): 2:00pm On Jul 03, 2013
I am not good at writing long essay! My STRONG advice for you is to go for ENTREPRENEURSHIP!
I have never regret since I took that bold step 15yrs ago! Though I had offer from series of
banks I had to turn them down to concentrate on my business, I don't need to go into details.
FOLLOW your HEART and you will NEVER go WRONG! smiley

2 Likes

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by success4(m): 2:05pm On Jul 03, 2013

GOOD advice! However, NO ONE CAN SEE BEYOND THE LIGHT THAT IS SET BEFORE HIM OR HER...

1 Like

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by free2ryhme: 2:05pm On Jul 03, 2013
where r u from
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by wrytazcut: 2:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
My candid advice for you is that you take any reasonable job offer.learn and save to build up capital. Above all pray to God for direction.
Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by ravensckar(m): 2:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
God bless u 'abundantly' u'v said it all. many pple jst talk abt bizness which in actual terms dey knw nothing abt. as 4 all doz motivational deceivers,I shake my head 4 whoever listens to dem... As Dangote,Adenuga,n Otedola,dey wil tel u d true nature of a Nigerian bizness.

1 Like

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by tseeker(m): 2:16pm On Jul 03, 2013
You can't be an entrepreneur. forget the qualities of an entrep that you saw in books. if my first statement made you smile,go ahead.

1 Like

Re: A Paid Job Or Entrepreneurship For A Fresh Graduate? - Please Advice by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 03, 2013
Good question!

Even if your ultimate goal is to run your own successful business, it is advisable for a young graduate to take up paid employment (if he / she can find one). This serves two purposes:

1. You get an opportunity to raise some capital for your business
2. You gain some insight into the inner workings of an organisation. This experience will help you when you run your own business.

The beautiful thing about this is that you could start your own business WHILE working. Also, after a few years of working, you are better positioned to decide if you really want to go it alone. I have found, from experience, that I am better motivated to work on my own business while employed smiley.

If you are yet to find a job (keep searching), depending on what type of business it is, and your present financial circumstances, you can begin to work on your own business (e.g. Registering business / company name, writing your business plan, researching and getting to understand your industry, setting up your website, creating marketing materials - basically things that don't require too much money). If you have the financial means, you could even start operating on a small scale, pending the time that you get a job.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Make Money From Liberty Reserve Without Having A LR Account. / Introduction To Dropshipping Business - How To Make Over $3000 - Free Tutorial / Oil Price Hits $50 Per Barrel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.