Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police (8138 Views)

80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt / Rivers Govt: Amaechi’s Refusal To Appear Before Panel Is Admission Of Guilt. / Ibim Semenitari Reacts To The "Invasion" Of Her Home By Rivers Govt Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by koruji(m): 2:25am On Jul 03, 2013
The irresponsibility of the GEJ admin is becoming glaring everyday.
This "small" matter of using the Federal apparatus to harass political opponents has the potential to be the match that lights the great fire that consumes Nigeria. A FG that is incapable of funding the police force, also seems unable to control its personnel - even at the highest levels.

[size=14pt]The police & army must stay completely out of politics[/size]. By not moving to quickly recall the Rivers State CP after he inserted himself into the politics of the state GEJ is setting a dangerous precedent. It shows the unprofessionalism of both the police leadership and the president himself.

This precedent will eventually catch up to GEJ himself as we watch events unfold towards 2015.

[url]http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/component/k2/item/15791-we%E2%80%99ll-soon-stop-funding-police-in-rivers-amaechi-%E2%80%A2calls-for-transfer-of-cp.html[/url]
We’ll soon stop funding police in Rivers -Amaechi •Calls for transfer of CP
Written by Bolaji Ogundele -Port Harcourt
Wednesday, 03 July 2013

RIVERS State government has threatened to stop its assistance in further equipping the state police command, as it is no longer devoted to securing the people of the state.
The state governor, Rotimi Amaechi, disclosed this when members of the governing board of the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC), led by its chairman, Chief Gordon Bozimo, paid him a visit in Port Harcourt, on Tuesday.
He also called on the Federal Government to help the economy and security of the state by replacing the current Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mbu.
Amaechi, who spoke on the security situation in the state when the chairman of the board, who is also a member of the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), complained about the recent rise in kidnap cases involving corps members in the state, noted that security situation had nose-dived in the state since Mbu moved in.
It will be recalled that the relationship between the governor and the police commissioner had not been cordial since the political crisis in the state escalated.
Governor Amaechi further lamented the turn that the security situation in the state had taken since the commissioner resumed duties in the state, calling on the Inspector General of Police to consider the plight of the people who had been at the receiving end of the worsening security and redeploy Mbu.
“I don’t want a commissioner of police that will work for me, I want a commissioner of police that will work for the interest of the state, that will work for Rivers people. So, it is not only me that you should complain to, talk to the Inspector-General of Police and those who transferred the commissioner that was working in the interest of Rivers people.
“Port Harcourt is becoming unsafe and more NYSC members may be kidnapped, except they remove Joseph Mbu. It will worsen when we (the state government) stop funding the police, because we will soon stop funding them.
“Mbu has been sitting with politicians for political reasons and the security system is down and out. Since he came, we have never had peace. We have held security council meetings two or three times. But before Mbu came, we used to hold security meetings two or three times every month.
We know where our corps members are and we know the level of security arrangement we put in place to protect them.
“We also send the SSS to watch over them. We have equipment that monitors what happens where. The only way they will not kidnap corpers is to send Mbu back to where he came from and post us a commissioner of police that will serve the interest of this state,” the governor said.
Governor Amaechi further alleged that the target of those who effected the posting of Mbu into the state was to cripple the economy of the state.
“Mbu is a politician, because he attends political meetings with those who brought him to our state and there is no way you can stop that.
“The only way you can stop that is to ask the politicians in Abuja to withdraw their Commissioner of Police and allow us to secure Rivers State.
“My fear is that his stay in Rivers State is intended to kill the conducive business climate in Port Harcourt and the fast growing economy of our state,” he said.
In his speech, chairman of the visiting board, Chief Bozimo, observed that if the situation threatening the stay of corps members in the state was not curbed on time, it might create an image problem for the state.
“Three days ago, three of our corps members were kidnapped. I feel very worried because, if Port Harcourt is not safe, I don’t know where people will run to. So, we are imploring you to look at the problems and fashion out what we can do to nip the problem in the bud,” he said.
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by ogb5(m): 2:56am On Jul 03, 2013
Amaechi should stop all this cry-cry talk.

The money used in funding the police is public fund and it is not in the interest of the public for the police to be underfunded.

He should just sit down and do his job instead of playing politics with the lives and security of the citizens of his state.

13 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by koruji(m): 3:13am On Jul 03, 2013
And in whose interest is it to use the police as a tool of Abuja?
And mind you, the FG has the responsibility of funding the police - only they don't but would not mind engaging them in political disputes.

ogb5: Amaechi should stop all this cry-cry talk.
The money used in funding the police is public fund and it is not in the interest of the public for the police to be underfunded.
He should just sit down and do his job instead of playing politics with the lives and security of the citizens of his state.

11 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by lakpalakpa: 3:33am On Jul 03, 2013
Shame on GEJ once again!!

Shame on his "Bag-of-Beans" wife!!!

This useless couple are the ones behind the crisis in Rivers State. They are trying to destabilize Rivers State because of their "Ogogoro & Peppersoup" politics. They care less about the good people of Rivers state who are the final consumers of rotten good.

Shame on them!!

Shameless couple!!!

Beasts of No Nation!!!

cool cool cool

7 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by CROWE: 4:03am On Jul 03, 2013

The funds under amaechi's control are not meant for police, the Nigerian police is a federal institution and it is the federal governments responsibility to fully fund them, Amaechi is only doing it because our all wise president is not, yet he likes to abuse the police, silly toad.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Symphony007: 6:42am On Jul 03, 2013

what security? Security, he has spent the better part of his governorship fighting for but is now crumbling under this idiot mbu. Since ameachi assumed office, all the criminals that reigned under odili have been destroyed. But since this man came, kidnapping has returned, gangs have started croping up again. So where is the security his police commamd is providing that requires funding?

5 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by FrankC3: 6:54am On Jul 03, 2013
Why not go ahead and stop 'funding police in Rivers' instead of talking like a market woman. Almost everyday, Amaechi say this, Amaechi says that. Who is he really? A State governor who lost out in the power game in his party and working so hard to curry the sympathy of noisy APC touts.

First, he accused the CP of reporting to Abuja as if the CP was not deployed from Abuja in the first place. It is beyond his brief to dictate which police commissioner he wants or not. IGP has done his job and Amaechi should work with the guy for the good of Rivers citizens instead of this his daily rants. He wants to be Rivers governor, PDP national chairman, NGF chairman, IGP, NDDC chairman among others.

Nigeria police cannot be controlled from Rivers government house. Which kind of leader quarrels with the security apparatus in a State he governs anyway? The only people Amaechi is not presently quarrelling with today are the unregistered APC people.

21 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 03, 2013
In the interest of the populace, that's a wrong decision.
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by KINGwax(m): 7:55am On Jul 03, 2013

hi everyone, i jes caught another mad man on the street of nairaland.

Mods, kindly show our strayed man to the psychiatric section.

Thank you!

5 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by touch4mony: 8:27am On Jul 03, 2013
lakpa lakpa: Shame on GEJ once again!!

Shame on his "Bag-of-Beans" wife!!!

This useless couple are the ones behind the crisis in Rivers State. They are trying to destabilize Rivers State because of their "Ogogoro & Peppersoup" politics. They care less about the good people of Rivers state who are the final consumers of rotten good.

Shame on them!!

Shameless couple!!!

Beasts of No Nation!!!

cool cool cool
is the so called amechi better dan GEJ ppl who opposed his re election we kw what he did to them mr omehie his brother can say beta and ur own i guess is not that beta than the bag of beans nor ur father beta than the shameless GEJ.watch d name u call ppl parents because ur parents will someday b address the same way if u hv nofin to say u jst short de Bleep up.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Symphony007: 9:11am On Jul 03, 2013
Frank-C:
Why not go ahead and stop 'funding police in Rivers' instead of talking like a market woman. Almost everyday, Amaechi say this, Amaechi says that. Who is he really? A State governor who lost out in the power game in his party and working so hard to curry the sympathy of noisy APC touts.

First, he accused the CP of reporting to Abuja as if the CP was not deployed from Abuja in the first place. It is beyond his brief to dictate which police commissioner he wants or not. IGP has done his job and Amaechi should work with the guy for the good of Rivers citizens instead of this his daily rants. He wants to be Rivers governor, PDP national chairman, NGF chairman, IGP, NDDC chairman among others.

Nigeria police cannot be controlled from Rivers government house. Which kind of leader quarrels with the security apparatus in a State he governs anyway? The only people Amaechi is not presently quarrelling with today are the unregistered APC people.
making noise without a single point attached...why since this commissioner came to rivers state. All the deadly vices that plagued the state during odili's time is returning. When did a governor calling out an incompetent cp become dictatorial? Why is'nt the IG asking his commisioner why security in his state is crumbling under his watch? Some of you have blinded your eyes with politics,hate and tribalism that common sense becomes out of reach.

9 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Symphony007: 9:19am On Jul 03, 2013
touch4mony: is the so called amechi better dan GEJ ppl who opposed his re election we kw what he did to them mr omehie his brother can say beta and ur own i guess is not that beta than the bag of beans nor ur father beta than the shameless GEJ.watch d name u call ppl parents because ur parents will someday b address the same way if u hv nofin to say u jst short de Bleep up.
tell me what ameachi did to omeahia during the 2011 elections, did'nt he contest freely? Was'nt he same person who on election day used tugs to beat up a police man? And you shut the Bleep up...the poster's you quoted father is not the president of the federal republic of nigeria. Jonathan is, and the moment he took his oath of office, he opened himself to all kinds of critisims both kind and cruel. He can be the father to a truck load of kids for all i care, he presides over 160 million people and needs to be held accountable.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Dee60: 9:23am On Jul 03, 2013

His complaint is valid. The CP should not be involved in PDP politics. He should have steered clear. The IGP has a duty to intervene once he realizes that a CP has taken such a stand. I see no reason why the CP would go to the air to throw verbal attacks at an elected Governor. That is not very professional.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by dridowu: 9:35am On Jul 03, 2013
With police b4 , its was like no security , again if no police is available again, then God will guide you all
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by ogb5(m): 9:36am On Jul 03, 2013
KINGwax: hi everyone, i jes caught another mad man on the street of nairaland.

Mods, kindly show our strayed man to the psychiatric section.

Thank you!

Complete the statement ' silence is the best answer to a f**l'
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by fitzmayowa: 9:48am On Jul 03, 2013
Amaechi in the news again

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by ogb5(m): 9:51am On Jul 03, 2013
Symphony007: making noise without a single point attached...why since this commissioner came to rivers state. All the deadly vices that plagued the state during odili's time is returning. When did a governor calling out an incompetent cp become dictatorial? Why is'nt the IG asking his commisioner why security in his state is crumbling under his watch? Some of you have blinded your eyes with politics,hate and tribalism that common sense becomes out of reach.

I lived in PH both during Odili's tenure and Amaechi's tenure.

At no time was was Rivers state free of crimes.
Kidnapping, cultism, oil stealing has always been rampant in Rivers state.

Amaechi coming out to accuse the cp of incompetence because 3 corpers were kidnapp is hypocrisy. Is this the 1st time corpers have been kidnapped in Rivers state?

Like I said money used in finding the police is public funds, not Amaechi's fund. He should sit down and do his job instead of planning to play politics with the lives and security of the citizens of Rivers state

8 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by duality(m): 10:08am On Jul 03, 2013
“Port Harcourt is becoming unsafe and more NYSC members may be kidnapped, except they remove Joseph Mbu. It will worsen when we (the state government) stop funding the police, because we will soon stop funding them.

any smart person will know amaechi is the one orchestrating all the drama in the state.

5 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by stylesco: 10:14am On Jul 03, 2013
I don't know why I have this feeling that Amaechi planned the kidnap of those corpers to make the cp look bad and incompetent.

Its just a feeling.

Don't undermine a desperate man.

6 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by havoc44: 10:48am On Jul 03, 2013
Stop funding d police and risk losing ur security vote
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Symphony007: 10:51am On Jul 03, 2013
ogb5:

I lived in PH both during Odili's tenure and Amaechi's tenure.

At no time was was Rivers state free of crimes.
Kidnapping, cultism, oil stealing has always been rampant in Rivers state.

Amaechi coming out to accuse the cp of incompetence because 3 corpers were kidnapp is hypocrisy. Is this the 1st time corpers have been kidnapped in Rivers state?

Like I said money used in finding the police is public funds, not Amaechi's fund. He should sit down and do his job instead of planning to play politics with the lives and security of the citizens of Rivers state
rivers state has never been safe? Why do you lie to prop up your case? When aba was a hot bed for kidnapping and the city was virtually deserted, why did'nt any spill over to port harcourt which is only km's away? After 2007. What happened to soboma george? De bam and de well that were terrorizing diobu? What happened to the buguma crisis? Do you think you're talking to a child?
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Symphony007: 10:55am On Jul 03, 2013
style$co:
I don't know why I have this feeling that Amaechi planned the kidnap of those corpers to make the cp look bad and incompetent.

Its just a feeling.

Don't undermine a desperate man.
really? So why has'nt the police commissioner arrested those carrying out these crimes for ameachi? Or are ameachi's tugs stronger than the nigerian police force? Dude, you're sick o.
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by RedCard1(m): 11:05am On Jul 03, 2013
With Police it's even like no security so Amaechi should stop funding them. The Nigeria Police is owned by FG not Rivers State. I can tell you all for free that the little calmness in some usually hot parts of PH is not a handwork of the police but Amaechi's and the good people of Rivers State's. GEJ should sit up and take up his responsibility.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Biodup: 11:16am On Jul 03, 2013
I don't trust dis ameachi guy, he might av hand in part of insecurity in d state all because he want d commissional of police to b transfer. I tag ameachi a governor of dispute, a controversial governor. It is now i realised reason obj objected his candidature in 2007.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Godpickin: 11:20am On Jul 03, 2013
Mmmm, so that woman-man called ameachi just suddenly realised dat... how convenient, so because they refused to do his bidding now, GEJ should fund dem. like seriously this man is a dictator, wondering if he has a very large nose to snuff wat wud happen... always looking for wat to say...pls tell him roads r bad in the state, Mr monorail undecided

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Callimo(m): 11:41am On Jul 03, 2013
Frank-C:

This comment puts ur age at about 13 or 15 years of age. That is to say , you are too young to understand what FEDRATION is all about. Nowhere in the world is police controlled from the centre in a fedral system of government. Grow up u small boy! We are yet to get it right .

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by gebest: 11:53am On Jul 03, 2013
E TOO LONG OOOO
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by Gideon360: 11:55am On Jul 03, 2013
CROWÉ:

The funds under amaechi's control are not meant for police, the Nigerian police is a federal institution and it is the federal governments responsibility to fully fund them, Amaechi is only doing it because our all wise president is not, yet he likes to abuse the police, silly toad.
it is well
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by GENTLETEE(m): 11:56am On Jul 03, 2013
If the state government has lost confidence in the ability of the police chief to do his job then he should be transfered. As the chief security officer of the state Gov Amaechi has the right request for a new police commissioner as he obviously can no longer work with Mr Mbu. GEJ and associates should leave Amaechi alone!
Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by kenny1911: 12:36pm On Jul 03, 2013
[quote author=koruji]The irresponsibility of the GEJ admin is becoming glaring everyday.
This "small" matter of using the Federal apparatus to harass political opponents has the potential to be the match that lights the great fire that consumes Nigeria. A FG that is incapable of funding the police force, also seems unable to control its personnel - even at the highest levels.

[size=14pt]The police & army must stay completely out of politics[/size]. By not moving to quickly recall the Rivers State CP after he inserted himself into the politics of the state GEJ is setting a dangerous precedent. It shows the unprofessionalism of both the police leadership and the president himself.

This precedent will eventually catch up to GEJ himself as we watch events unfold towards 2015.
]
[/quote
Na u n ur frolics wey e go catch... Rubbish coment

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Will Stop Funding Police by kutchs: 12:57pm On Jul 03, 2013
CROWÉ:

I just laughed at this comment, shows how ignorant and lacking in knowledge this owner is. To suggest Amaechi is funding the police bc the FG is not doing so is the stupidest statement ever. State govts in funding the police only complements the FG and u must understand that more three quarters of police funding comes from the FG whose responsibility as you rightly pointed out it is. If the above is true then Amaechi should just shut up and get on with his job, the police belongs to the FG and not RSG. He shouldn‘t expect the CP to report to him but to his IG in Abuja.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edo PDP Crisis: Etsako Central Suspends Party Chairman / Federal University In Ekiti State - Ikole Ekiti As The Right Location / CBN Gov Sanusi Responds To Accusations He Is Bigot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.