Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,570 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage (3593 Views)

Fear Of Embarrassment: Jonathan Cancels California Speech, Feigns Illness - SR / Buhari Rejects US Gay Marriage. / U.S Supreme Court Legalizes Same-sex Marriage Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by finicky(m): 8:49am On May 16, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO - California's Supreme Court declared that gay couples in the nation's most populous state can marry — a monumental but perhaps short-lived victory for the gay rights movement Thursday that was greeted with tears, hugs, kisses and at least one instant proposal of matrimony.

[This is the law @ work, trying to do that which is naturally impossible.]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080516/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by abdurrazaq(m): 9:25am On May 16, 2008
The end is very near, nearer than ever.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 10:14am On May 16, 2008
abdurrazaq:

The end is very near, nearer than ever.

How is the end near?
Gay marriage has been legal at your backyard (south Africa) and the world didn't end. Now that it's been made legal in far away California, you feel the end is near?

As much as i don't like the idea of homosexuality and gay marriage, i don't think anybody has the right to stop a people from practising what they believe in. So long it does not infringe on another person's right.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Nobody: 10:28am On May 16, 2008
What's the difference between being gay and marrying gay?
The only difference is the ring as they do the stuff through the same place.
If that is the case, then Nigeria, especially northern Nigeria has as much gays and lesbians as other places in other parts of the world. Now, that is what we should be worried about and not whether the world will end if california legalizes gay marriage.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by chriskkk: 11:00am On May 16, 2008
I believe homosexuality is a societal vice that shuold be stamped out and not encouraged.
Man was not created by God or by ''chance'' to be homosexuals. Every nation in this world should
disregard the arguement of all pro-homos and maitain purely the system as odained by God or ''nature''
No man is born a GAY.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by texazzpete(m): 11:04am On May 16, 2008
Isn't it hilarious that citizens of a country where it's legal to marry off 11 year old girls to 75 year old men can claim other countries are 'immoral'?
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Ibime(m): 12:32pm On May 16, 2008
They can legalise gay marriage as much as they want, it doesn't bother me - but I draw the line when it comes to gay adoption.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Frizy(m): 1:59pm On May 16, 2008
Woe to those you made this lawful! angry
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by 4Him1(m): 4:01pm On May 16, 2008
Frizy:

Woe to those you made this lawful! angry

More woe to those who consider it a religious obligation to marry infants to old men.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Uche2nna(m): 4:06pm On May 16, 2008
Ibime:

They can legalise gay marriage as much as they want, it doesn't bother me - but I draw the line when it comes to gay adoption.

They have just legalised same sex marriage. What makes You think they would be prevented from adopting. I mean, thats the only way they can raise their own family apart from artificial insemination.

It kind of sound hypocritical being gay and wanting to adopt kids. Kids that came from the fusion of a male and female gamete  undecided
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Vou(f): 5:29pm On May 16, 2008
I was glad when I heard this and I think more states should follow suit.

Ibime:

Well I believe gay people should be allowed to adopt. But they should also be subject to the same rigorous checks as heterosexual couples planning to adopt.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by 4Him1(m): 5:44pm On May 16, 2008
Vou:

Well I believe gay people should be allowed to adopt. But they should also be subject to the same rigorous checks as heterosexual couples planning to adopt.

Uche2nna mentioned this, it is hypocrisy to champion gay marriage AND THEN expect to adopt children from heterosexual unions. You are either one or the other, you cant eat your cake and have it.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by 4Play(m): 7:48pm On May 16, 2008
Thankfully,the people of California have a chance to override this ruling when their referendum is held to change the California constitution.

It is shameful that judges arrogate to themselves,law making powers to ignore popular will.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Vou(f): 8:00pm On May 16, 2008
4 Him:

Uche2nna mentioned this, it is hypocrisy to champion gay marriage AND THEN expect to adopt children from heterosexual unions. You are either one or the other, you can't eat your cake and have it.

I see no hypocrisy there. No arguments presented will change my view on this so let's agree to disagree.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by grafikdon: 8:36pm On May 16, 2008
4 Him:

Uche2nna mentioned this, i[b]t is hypocrisy to champion gay marriage AND THEN expect to adopt children from heterosexual unions[/b]. You are either one or the other, you can't eat your cake and have it.

LMAO! . . . Priceless.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by savanaha: 8:58pm On May 16, 2008
texazzpete:

Isn't it hilarious that citizens of a country where it's legal to marry off 11 year old girls to 75 year old men can claim other countries are 'immoral'?
Very true. Atleast with gays its two consenting adults. The 11 yr old can't consent to much.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by bawomolo(m): 10:48pm On May 16, 2008
4 Play:

Thankfully,the people of California have a chance to override this ruling when their referendum is held to change the California constitution.

It is shameful that judges arrogate to themselves,law making powers to ignore popular will.

popular will in the 60's was to continue segregation, popular will in chicago during the 70's was to keep housing aid away from african americans. it's the job of the court to protect the rights of MINORITIES which homosexuals are. lack of marriage rights means homosexuals won't have access to tax benefits, employment and insurance benefits etc. ignorance has to be challenged at some point.

for those against homosexual adoption, do u support increased tax money to pay for foster parents and orphanages. do u plan to adopt a baby?? if not then u should be grateful that an homosexual household wants to give a child an happy life. studies from the APA have shown kids from homosexual households do just fine. what a bunch of bigots
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by grafikdon: 12:20am On May 17, 2008
While we agree and disagree on homosexuality, Let's not water down the civil rights movement by comparing it to man's acceptance of man's anus as a sexual organ. We need to drop that and look for a more appropriate comparison.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by 4Play(m): 6:30am On May 17, 2008
bawomolo:

popular will in the 60's was to continue segregation,

Nope,popular will was against the continuation of segegration by the 50s,never mind the 60s.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Sagamite(m): 11:29am On May 17, 2008
texazzpete:

So in your world, only people that are faultless should be able to criticise wrongdoing. I wonder how hopeless the world would be if it imitated your world.

Ibime:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You have exactly the same mentality as westerners who did not stand up against this deviancy when the law was changed to decriminilise homosexuality.
Some said: This is where I draw the line

Before they knew it, they had gay communities next to their homes.
Some said:This is where I draw the line

Then they had laws that would punish them if they said or did something a gay person finds "discriminating".

Then they had gays on their favourite TV series or soap operas to promote or glorify homosexuality to them and their impressionable minors/kids.

Then they had dedicated gay shows on free-to-air TV.

Then they had gay partnership ( sold as "not marriage" ).

Then they had a law that made it compulsory for all schools to teach kids from nursery school upwards as part of the curricullum that homosexuality is an alternative form of family life.

Then they are going to have gay weddings.

Then they are going to have gay adoptions where poor children have no say in being raised in such filth.

Then they have half-man, half-woman thingies getting pregnant or artificial impregnation of gay men.

Draw what line? Where? How? Can you guess from above where their power to draw the line was lost forever?

Something tells me maybe it would have been better to draw the line at decriminalising it.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Sagamite(m): 11:36am On May 17, 2008

How is the end near?
Gay marriage has been legal at your backyard (south Africa) and the world didn't end. Now that it's been made legal in far away California, you feel the end is near?

As much as i don't like the idea of homosexuality and gay marriage, i[b] don't think anybody has the right to stop a people from practising what they believe in[/b]. So long it does not infringe on another person's right.

So I take it, it is okay to have incest, buggery and necrophilics?

Mate, we have all rights to stop immorality, perversion and deviancy in our community irrespective of if some believe in it. There will be those that would be unhappy but tough.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Tornadoz(m): 1:19pm On May 17, 2008
Then they had "Niggers" enjoying same rights as white people
Then they had "Niggers" moving into their neighborhoods
Some said: This is where I draw the line etc
If a white person says the above, would he be considered racist? Does a white person not have the right to defend his priviledges, his neighborhood etc.

Seriously Sagamite, take a chill pill, go out now and again and have a blast. Its amazing the amount of fun out there.
The same hate filled rhetoric you spew here is the same justification white racist used in the 50s and 60s. Live and let live bro. Gays should be the least of your worries.

PS
Say hi to your gay neighbors.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Sagamite(m): 2:21pm On May 17, 2008
Tornadoz:

Then they had "Niggers" enjoying same rights as white people
Then they had "Niggers" moving into their neighborhoods
Some said: This is where I draw the line etc
If a white person says the above, would he be considered racist? Does a white person not have the right to defend his priviledges, his neighborhood etc.

Seriously Sagamite, take a chill pill, go out now and again and have a blast. Its amazing the amount of fun out there.
The same hate filled rhetoric you spew here is the same justification white racist used in the 50s and 60s. Live and let live bro. Gays should be the least of your worries.

PS
Say hi to your gay neighbors.

grin grin grin grin grin

Tornadoz, don't worry men. I don't only take a chill pill, I create them as well.  cool

Unfortunately, the "blast" and "fun" you are talking about is not for me. I catch my fun in a completely different way.

It makes me laugh as well as infuriate me when gay people and their supporters try to gain credibility for their gay perversion by sticking their cause like a leech to civil rights causes. It is laughable and annoying.

If you live in the UK, you will notice that the gay rights campaigner, Peter Thatchell, will always make a reference to racism before "homophobia" (if the word is even legitimate) IN ALL HIS SPEECHES. That way he ensures that anybody that disagrees with him risk the tag of being labelled likely a racist. CHEAP PROPAGANDA!

Let me make it as clear as the finest pacific beaches to you why there is hardly any link between the two.

RACISM is discrimination based on SUPERIORITY.

ANTI-GAY is "discrimination" based on MORALITY.
(note the quotation marks)

SUPERIORITY and MORALITY are two completely different context contrary to the brainwashing they give some of you in the pro-gay western world.

What next?

Paedophiles comparing their "discrimination" to the black cause?

Actually they are close to that in Denmark where they have a paedophile association that campaigns for their members rights. What a joke!

You can put Racism, Sexism, Ageism, Ethnicism etc in the same context.

But please, pretty please with a sugar on top, don't put anti-gay in that category. It is in the ball park with Incest, Buggery and Necrophilia, a morality deviancy induced existence.

Even if I said Hi to may gay neighbours that does not mean I have to accept their disgusting activities.

I know it is a difficult message to put across. Everyone seems to be more comfortable with messages of love and peace (it gives a misconception that one is a faultless, liberal and  infinitely nice human being) but some messages that don't fall in this two categories need to be put across as well. I have no problem doing that if opportunities allow me.

PS: Before anyone comes here and talk some crap about being open-minded, I am extremely open-minded and liberal individual, but because I am open-minded does not mean I have switched off my mind's filter function.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by texazzpete(m): 4:27pm On May 17, 2008
@Sagamite
Speak for YOUR moral values.
Unfortunately for you, you lack the power to effect any change in this matter. All you're reduced to is ranting on an internet blog.

Gay people are the least of my problems. I personally am no fan of homosexual sex, but to each his own.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by bawomolo(m): 12:56am On May 18, 2008
4 Play:

Nope,popular will was against the continuation of segegration by the 50s,never mind the 60s.

o really, the midwestern part of the US remains highly segregated. u are wrong given the popularity of anti-segregation politicians during that era. just because it's popular will doesn't it's right. i support this ruling just like the one in massachusetts.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Frizy(m): 5:38pm On May 19, 2008
texazzpete:

@Sagamite
Unfortunately for you, you lack the power to effect any change in this matter. All you're reduced to is ranting on an internet blog.

Gay people are the least of my problems. I personally am no fan of homosexual sex, but to each his own.

It's so sad when you see many men enjoining evil when there lots of problems concerning the issue. Your continous sayings that it is not your concern infers that there is no reason to resist evil-doing, at least it is their life.

I really feel sorry for all that support these people(homosexuals) or think they should have a right to even co-habitate. For the guy saying they have to pays taxes, the solution should that if any is involved in this act, he/she should be prosecuted or killed! However, the U.S is believed to be the land of the great satans, how wont they support it when evil always appears good.

You are complaining of hurricanes and some states are even building quake-proof houses- Ah! their deciet will surely ruin them. angry
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Damoche10: 5:52pm On May 19, 2008
This one na bad one o! Very very unpleasant news. You have spoilt my day with this.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by SeanT21(f): 9:57pm On May 19, 2008
i hope north carolina dont?
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Sagamite(m): 2:34pm On May 20, 2008
texazzpete:

@Sagamite

Texazzpete,

I will take heart that MY moral values would rule in my motherland Nigeria rather than YOUR moral values.

We would never allow the decriminalisation in Nigeria.

That is were my power to affect change matters to me the most. Not in US, not in Japan, not in Thailand but in NIGERIA.

NO LEGITIMATE gay ACTIVITIES IN MY MOTHERLAND.

And if people like you want to bring it from where you are, we will make sure you fail.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by texazzpete(m): 5:36pm On May 20, 2008
@Sagamite
Why do you make the stupid mistake of assuming automatically that i'm not in Nigeria?
Keep on with your campaign. While you stand guard for gays, 11 year old girls are forced into 'legitmate' marriages in the North. Why does that not trouble your conscience? Because you know that none of your loved once will suffer that fate, right?

Forced female genital mutilation still occurs in Nigeria. Where are your sanctimonous, moralistic words to challenge such practices?

I have nothing but contempt for people like you.

@Frizy
You speak of evil, yet you advocate killing of homosexual people as a solution, right?

My stand is simple. I can never be Gay, and i personally find the idea of homosexual sex distasteful. But i cannot forcibly repress people from doing what they want to do. after all, i find the idea of African traditional worship distasteful, what with the rituals and incantations. it goes strongly against my christian beliefs. You don't see me storming Sango shrines with assault rifles, do you?

To each his own, as long as you do not hurt anyone else.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by Sagamite(m): 6:47pm On May 20, 2008
Texazzpete,

My bad. I did not know you were just another americano wannabe.

Seeing a forumname like yours I assumed your were trying to use a name that links to where you are. It is a common cognitive guess that one easily falls for due to the name-tag trends on the internet and the fact that a lot of naija's live in Texas. Just like if I was on forum and I see a user name of "Naijaboy", it would be almost safe to assume he was black and Nigerian. But he could end up being a Lebanese boy living in Nigeria. So you can't really call it silly except you have poor analytical skills.

So whilst we are on the silly supposition, how did you arrive at the conclusion of my position on enforced juvenile marriages? Have you opened a thread on this and you saw my opinion before you smartly(?) assumed I don't object to it.

This thread is about faggotism and I am wee too smart to allow gay supporters distract the argument by lame association to civil rights or juvenile abuse which are mutually exclusive from the argument.

What next? You will be telling me that what gave me the rights to criticise gays when African parents are forcing kids to do maths when the child's innate skills is in arts?

I have nothing but contempt for dumbos.
Re: California's Top Court Legalizes Gay Marriage by omoge(f): 6:59pm On May 20, 2008
how would they do it sef? woman on woman, man on man eh how dem dey do am for bed? grin

by the way, my sistah Ellen D is marry her own lady, congrat sha cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akunyili Defends Self In 8.2 Billion Naira NTA Contract / Goodluck Jonathan Should Scrap The Council Of State! / Nigerian History At A Glance 1800 - Sept 1999

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.