Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,743 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Making Front Page- How Does It Work? [and Whats With Being First To Comment] - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Making Front Page- How Does It Work? [and Whats With Being First To Comment] (1168 Views)

Making Front Page: How Did You Feel? / Whats With All The Cursin On Nigerian Men! / Yemkem Herbal Products,does It Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making Front Page- How Does It Work? [and Whats With Being First To Comment] by daven: 6:02pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ehen! Before some smart 'information marketer' [whatever that means] starts to sell a manual on '10 Hot Ways to make FrontPage on Nairaland', please guys how does it work? Is there any form of algorithm that determines this? Could it be similar to Google's Page Ranking? Is it determined by Seun himself, or the moderators? Share the ideas people. BTW, mods should also contribute.

On the other hand, whats with being first to comment? is there an award/recognition for this? I have been off NL for some time. Thanks
Re: Making Front Page- How Does It Work? [and Whats With Being First To Comment] by psky: 7:18pm On Jul 03, 2013
I created my very first thread today and I made Frontpage within an hour. Once I had seen the story about garri I had immediately known it was Frontpage material.
Making Frontpage has a lot to do with creating threads that are centered on things that trend on nairaland. It's also about creating sensible threads that affect the average Nigerian.

I think this is how the process goes: once you create a thread, the mod of that section who considers it Frontpage worthy would send it to mukina (the master gatekeeper cool )who would then do the final pickings for FrontPage.

As for the first to comment stuff, well of course there is no reward from it, (except the pleasure of actually being first to comment, or being liked for being silly grin), it's just another trending statement, like how "how does this affect the price of garri" and "oga at the top" used to be.
Re: Making Front Page- How Does It Work? [and Whats With Being First To Comment] by daroseconcepts: 10:02pm On Jul 03, 2013
So someone is a master gate keeper. Kinda sounds epic.
Re: Making Front Page- How Does It Work? [and Whats With Being First To Comment] by NeuroBoss(m): 1:51am On Jul 04, 2013
It actually feels good to make frontpage considering the number of threads you have to compete with. It brings your topic to the prying eyes of users who do not visit any of the sections than the FP. I've made it 5 times and I feel very good as I try to make all my topics sensible and written in good English.
As to what guarantees a topic making FP, apart from breaking news, news about celebrities,etc, asking open ended questions will bring many people to want to drop their comments and the Moderators may move it to the FP if it has generated appreciable comments.
Some of mine that made it were:
i)How did you spend your NYSC allowee?
ii)On what basis would you divorce your partner?
iii)Why did you want to be rich?
My friend also own this thread:
What were your greatest fears as a child?
I guess asking open-ended questions works for me.
Re: Making Front Page- How Does It Work? [and Whats With Being First To Comment] by NeuroBoss(m): 1:52am On Jul 04, 2013
It actually feels good to make frontpage considering the number of threads you have to compete with. It brings your topic to the prying eyes of users who do not visit any of the sections than the FP. I've made it 5 times and I felt very great because I try to make all my topics sensible and written in good English.
As to what guarantees a topic making FP, apart from breaking news, news about celebrities,etc, asking open ended questions will bring many people to want to drop their comments and the Moderators may move it to the FP if it has generated appreciable comments.
Some of mine that made it were:
i)How did you spend your NYSC allowee?
ii)On what basis would you divorce your partner?
iii)Why did you want to be rich?
My friend also own this thread:
What were your greatest fears as a child?
I guess asking open-ended questions works for me.
Re: Making Front Page- How Does It Work? [and Whats With Being First To Comment] by daroseconcepts: 5:46am On Jul 04, 2013
Maybe this thread could also make FP, going by the open ended question formula.

(1) (Reply)

6 Steps To Achieving Greatness In Anything You Set To Do / Thank You Seun!!!!!! :d / Weird! What They Called 'chilling Out.'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.