Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,406 members, 7,808,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi (29057 Views)

Ex-egyptian President, Morsi Jailed 20 Years / Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi – Al Jazeera / Egypt Army Overthrows President Morsi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 10:58pm On Jul 03, 2013
politician:

according to this logic

iran model involves a supremos ayatoullah as nec chairman...

the egypt model includes the army as Part of the oppositions, and protests as a method of impeaching a constitutional elected official!!

morsi lost his political legitimacy by alienating the people.

after the spring, the average citizen just wanted to have a say.

the opposition goofed, an OJORO announcement of his impeachment via the 20million signatures would have irked morsi.
he would call their bluff and the military can come in.

the issue would be.. army removes morsi after refusing to vacate office, not this coup.
its a bad preceedent, and just Like the spring, it might spread to other countries.

lol.

I agree, it is a bad precedent. Egypt is in trouble, I reckon anyway. However, if handled well, it may turn out well in the end.

I doubt it though.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 10:58pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

Be that as it may, you still can not undermine the enormous power she controls unconstitutionally.

Let us not digress.

Legitimacy is key.
She does wield enormous power. But, she is not in charge.

Even Thatcher rubbished her in the ''80s because of apartheid in South Africa.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by InvertedHammer: 10:59pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one: In democracy, the only legit way to remove your president is through elections. Your vote is your weapon, they say. Why some learned NLanders are in support of this arbitrariness is not clear to me.

This is a bad precedent for budding democracies around the world.

/
[b]You are wrong.

Democracy is government of the people by the people and for the people. When someone deviates from campaign promises and starts pandering to the wishes of a cabal, he/she has lost the mandate given to him/her. Democracy needs to be tailored to the environment it is being practiced. That is the essence of critical thinking(thinking outside the box) in colleges instead of cramming texts and vomiting same without critical analysis of the content.

It is idiotic to wait a full term of madness to change non-performing leadership. No time lost is ever gained back.
Egyptians took the bull by the horn. I applaud the military for the matured way they handled the situation.

OBJ did terribly bad.. we waited for a full 8 yrs. GEJ is now dancing naked and we will wait another 8 years. That will be 16 years down the drain while we await for Messiah to levitate down from heaven to solve our problems.

Do you wonder why most nations are hostile to Nigerians? Because when countries are bad, the citizens fight the power (kudos Syria, Egypt, Libya). The eventual outcome might not be well, but they stared the dictator in the face and fought like the heroes that they are. But in Nigeria, the citizens are scouting for any country where the citizens have finished fighting with their blood to migrate there and start living a good life.

When I think of Nigerians, I remember the adage that says, "People will choose UNHAPPINESS over UNCERTAINTY--Timothy Ferriss"
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 11:00pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
She does wield enormous power. But, she is not in charge.

Even Thatcher rubbished her in the ''80s because of apartheid in South Africa.

And how many rubbished the same Thatcher.

Rubbishing someone does not undermine anybody, except in a dictatorship.

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
Imagine, the military gave ultimatum to a democratically-elected government. I believe in secularism, but, if that's what majority of Egyptians wanted (Islam in government), as expressed through a free and fair election in their country, so be it.
What is the essence of elections then? If an elected leader can be toppled so unceremoniously?

I laughed! That's called doctrine of necessity.

1. Egyptians did not vote for a virulent Islamic agenda. That was a simple reason why Al Nour, a more conservative salafist movement did not win majority. It has a poor showing in the elections.

2.The secularists could not match the organisation of Muslim brotherhood and most often are divided.

3.Morsi ran as a moderate muslim willing to put the interests of all Egyptians above a parochial partisan one.

4.In power, he turned a MB stooge willing to implement anything that favors the course of MB to the exclusion of others. He betrayed the trust.

Now think about this: MB is a "secretive" organisation with a front called Freedom and Justice Party. Won't you be concerned if such organisation is growing in powers?

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jul 03, 2013
tbaba1234: The issue here is beyond religion. Even religious muslims seem to be against morsi.

Many egyptians seem to be upset with him but is this the way to go?

Just demonstrate if the leader is not working?

What if the next guy is bad?? Would they kick him out too??

It sets a dangerous precedent. Let him finish his tenure then kick him out if he fails
Not everyone has that kinda patience. It's called the Abramovich style of govt
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 11:02pm On Jul 03, 2013
Nigerians and their diehard approach to issues.
Christians are saying it's okay while Muslims are saying it's wrong.

Nigerians: Middle-Eastern wannabes.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 11:03pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ijogz K: Not everyone has that kinda patience. It's called the Abramovich style of govt
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 11:05pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ijogz K: Not everyone has that kinda patience. It's called the Abramovich style of govt

grin grin grin
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 11:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:

1. Egyptians did not vote for a virulent Islamic agenda. That was a simple reason why Al Nour, a more conservative salafist movement did not win majority. It has a poor showing in the elections.

2.The secularists could not match the organisation of Muslim brotherhood and most often are divided.

3.Morsi ran as a moderate muslim willing to put the interests of all Egyptians above a parochial partisan one.

4.In power, he turned a MB stooge willing to implement anything that favors the course of MB to the exclusion of others. He betrayed the trust.

Now think about this: MB is a "secretive" organisation with a front called Freedom and Justice Party. Won't you be concerned if such organisation is growing in powers?
Sorry, but Muslim Brotherhood were never moderate.
Morsi was a member of MB, so, Egyptians knew and know what they stood/stand for.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by nijanigga: 11:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
Old news,check my previous posts today.
Well,who thought it will happen in Egypt, despite the fact that the living standard in Egypt is better than in Nigeria.
It's coming, just wait for it.
Or you want to hear it from TB Joshua?
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 11:07pm On Jul 03, 2013
Nigerians, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!! grin grin
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
Sorry, but Muslim Brotherhood were never moderate.
Morsi was a member of MB, so, Egyptians knew and know what they stood/stand for.

Is MB more conservative than Al Nour? Did he, Morsi, campaign as a hardliner and uncompromisingly pro-Sharia?
He ran as a moderate!!!
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 11:10pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Is MB more conservative than Al Nour? Did he, Morsi, campaigned as a hardliner and uncompromisingly pro-Sharia?
He ran as a moderate!!!
Who/what is a moderate? Their name (Muslim Brotherhood) alone tells you they don't really do things in moderation. Read up on their history.

They knew what they voted for, bro
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

Is David Cameron more powerful than the Queen of England?

Yes or No
Administratively and in term of executive functions, YES.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by idupaul: 11:10pm On Jul 03, 2013
The sacking of MorSi from power is the best thing that has
happened to Egypt since the building of the Pyramids .. Good
riddance to the schizophrenic bigot . God Bless the Egyptian
Armed Forces for removing the tyrant trainee
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 11:12pm On Jul 03, 2013
idupaul: The sacking of MorSi from power is the best thing that has
happened to Egypt since the building of the Pyramids .. Good
riddance to the schizophrenic bigot . God Bless the Egyptian
Armed Forces for removing the tyrant trainee
Well, I expected this comment from a "Paul" (iduPAUL) grin grin grin
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 11:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Is MB more conservative than Al Nour? Did he, Morsi, campaigned as a hardliner and uncompromisingly pro-Sharia?
He ran as a moderate!!!

^ If you took a poll, most egyptians would support the sharia, that is why the MB won in the first place.

The problem with morsi seems to be the fact that he was pursuing a party agenda rather than a national one. Corruption was on the increase and there was no significant economic improvement. The conservatives were also against him.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
tbaba1234: Nigerians, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!! grin grin

We are too divided ethnically to pull stuff like this through. If an Igbo Army chief issued such a statement, perhaps Hausa one would counter it with another and before you know it would be branded it's one ethnic group against another. Or Muslims want to remove a christian president or vice versa. It won't work here.

Egypt is largely homogeneous in everything that matters-so it's not minority against the majority or christians against muslims. A large population of both pro- and anti-Morsi are Muslims. So, it reduces to Morsi and his agenda.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

Is David Cameron more powerful than the Queen of England?

Yes or No
Administratively and in term of executive Functions? YES
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by babslamin: 11:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
The Egyptians cheering and celebrating this military coup will, I suspect, come to regret their 'my enemy's enemy is my friend' approach..." What happens to next guy who replaces him? If he doesn't fix things in one year, take to the streets and overthrow him?"... No one--repeat, no one--really knows where Egypt is headed at this point..
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 11:16pm On Jul 03, 2013
Mee234:
Administratively and in term of executive functions, YES.

I know that, I excused specificity intentionally.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 11:16pm On Jul 03, 2013
babslamin: The Egyptians cheering and celebrating this military coup will, I suspect, come to regret their 'my enemy's enemy is my friend' approach..." What happens to next guy who replaces him? If he doesn't fix things in one year, take to the streets and overthrow him?"... No one--repeat, no one--really knows where Egypt is headed at this point..

True
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 11:16pm On Jul 03, 2013
tbaba1234:

^ If you took a poll, most egyptians would support the sharia, that is why the MB won in the first place.

The problem with morsi seems to be the fact that he was pursuing a party agenda rather than a national one. Corruption was on the increase and there was no significant economic improvement. The conservatives were also against him.

Professor Corruption's main grudge is with Sharia.
They wanted it in their country and so be it
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by tbaba1234: 11:18pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:

I think most people have no idea about the sharia.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:
Who/what is a moderate? Their name (Muslim Brotherhood) alone tells you they don't really do things in moderation. Read up on their history.

They knew what they voted for, bro

MB started as a purely peaceful organisation. it suffered persecution for years with many of its leading lights incarcerated. That drove it to a secretive violent organisation. there was a renewed sympathy for the group as an entity that resisted Mubarak for years.

But the goodwill as we have seen today has been wasted. The name alone does not tell a lot in a country where the majority are muslims. Muslim Brotherhood might raise an eyebrow in a nation like Nigeria but certainly not in Egypt. It sounds largely rhetorical there.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by dare2think: 11:19pm On Jul 03, 2013
tbaba1234:

I humbly dis-agree, it is well known that anti-Islamic constitution is part of the factor behind the protest.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Olaone1: 11:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
dare2think:

I humbly dis-agree, it is well known that anti-Islamic constitution is part of the factor behind the protest.
Why are you arguing like this? Even primary school kids know this.

I give up
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ola one:

lol. I don't like Sharia but I am not against it if that's the will of the majority.
If Morsi ran on the platform of bringing sharia to Egypt and won elections, then opposition had no point. Because the minority is meant to have its say while majority ll have its way.

But for him to run as a moderate and then start implementing conservative agenda? That's not good.
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by babslamin: 11:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
[/color][color=#000099]
Prof Corruption:

....[color=][/color][/color][color=#990000] seems like Egypt are practicing military democracy
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by Fhemmmy: 11:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
Waoh . . those military warn and make it happen, na wa oh
Re: Egyptian Army Overthrows President Morsi by politician(m): 11:24pm On Jul 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:

He ran as a moderate!!!

prof , yes we agree morsi really failed as a statesman. he deserves to be ousted but there is no wrong way to do a right thing.

the cycle continues....

morsi out..

opponent jubilates.

pro morsi supporters declare political jihad.

soldiers close down pro-morsi tv stations ..al jazreera and. co.

Dissolves parliament (too many. brothers in the chamber)..constitution suspended.

oga obama dey search foreign aid act to. determine whether Na coup or impeachment..

ideality is different from reality...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ibrahim Keita: Detained Malian President May Be Deported To Senegal – Military / Ukrainian Forces Kill 39th And 40th Russian Colonels. / Reuters Report On Nigeria And South Africa's Unending Rivalry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.