Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,107 members, 7,807,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death (10718 Views)

Soldiers Open Fire On Borno Governor’s Convoy In Error / Hoodlums Stone Jonathan’s Convoy In Katsina / Tanoids As Agents Of Propaganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by Abagworo(m): 7:16pm On Jul 03, 2013

The rate of road accidents in Nigeria involving convoys of top government officials, which have claimed scores of lives, apart from becoming embarrassing, has worsened the country’s unenviable record as the second highest road traffic accident fatalities in the world.

At 162 deaths per 100,000kms, according to recent statistics by the World Health Organisation (WHO), Nigeria is among the countries with highest road accidents.

But worrisome as the case may be, and the public outcry over the excesses of those who ordinarily should be role models to other road users, there has not been any remarkable change in the ways these officials and their lieutenants drive on the nation’s roads.

From officials of local governments to states and those of the Federal Government, the stories are similar.

A recent survey on the issue showed that no fewer than 26 lives were lost in the past three years to this menace with the convoys of state governors more culpable.

The latest involve governor of Kogi State, Captain Idris Wada on December 28, 2012. While he was lucky to escape the crash along the Lokoja – Ajaokuta road with a fracture, his Aide-de-Camp (ADC), Idris Mohammed, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) was not. He died on the spot.

Wada was returning from an official assignment at Ayingba and he was said to be billed for another event at Lokoja that same day; a reception in honour of the immediate past governor of the state, Alhaji Ibrahim Idris. It was claimed that the accident might have occurred because his convoy tried to make sure he met up with the engagements.

The state was again thrown into mourning when four days later, the Speaker of its House of Assembly, Momoh Lawal, got involved in another ghastly crash that left a police corporal, Lamidi Akeem, attached to his convoy, dead.

A near similar incident occurred in Imo State few days before the New Year when the convoys of Governor Rochas Okorocha and that of Senator Chris Anyanwu, representing Imo East in the National Assembly rammed into each other.

Though no life was lost this time, aides of the two personalities engaged themselves in a fight which led to the manhandling of the senator’s driver and assistants by the governor’s security aides.

The same reckless driving was the cause of the January 18 and 20 crashes of the convoys of Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo of Gombe State and the Niger State deputy governor, Ahmed Musa Ibeto, respectively.

Dankwambo’s convoy crash occurred on the Gombe-Yola road when the driver of a pickup van lost control at a sharp bend and hit a police vehicle in the motorcade returning from a constituency tour in Shongom Local Government Area about 9.15pm. The collision claimed one life while six others sustained various degrees of injury.

That of Ibeto, which killed two on a motocycle, happened when the deputy governor was on his way to Kalgara area of the state for the final ceremony of the state’s Qur’anic competition. His convoy rammed into the motorcyclist who was said to be on the opposite direction.

The use of convoys by the elite, particularly government officials, is not new in Nigeria though it became rampant during the military era. However, it has grown out of proportion under the present democratic dispensation.

This is despite the fact that the categories of people authorised to use siren include the President, Vice President, Senate President, Speakers, their deputies, state governors, service chiefs, the Inspector General of Police, General Officers Commanding (GOCs), Deputy Inspectors General of Police (DIGs), Assistant Inspectors General of Police (AIGs), as well as Commissioners of Police.

And because this flagrant abuse has continued unchallenged, others like First Ladies, traditional rulers, clergies, chief executives of corporate bodies and even rich private individuals are now toeing this line of ignoble act.

It is common knowledge that several hours before a top government official is chauffeured through, roads are closed to traffic thereby causing pandemonium and traffic logjam, as motorists and passers-by are compelled to struggle to get out of such scenes or areas as quickly as possible for fear of being trapped.

Also, the sycophantic aides to these VIPs, in the overzealous bid to show loyalty to their respective principals at the same time engage in reckless harassment of other road users, as typified by the humiliation of a Lagos resident, Mrs. Elizabeth Udoudo, by the convoy of the immediate past governor of Imo State, Ikedi Ohakim, in Lagos, not long ago.

Read more

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/governors-convoy-drivers-as-agents-of-death/

http://en.starafrica.com/news/nigerias-imo-state-governor-involved-in-road-crash.html

https://www.nairaland.com/1144728/governor-idris-wada-involved-car/

http://lindaikeji..com/2010/03/ghastly-crash-governor-liyel-imoke.html?m=1

http://thestreetjournal.org/2012/04/oshiomole-escapes-death-as-3-journalists-die-in-ghastly-accident/

More links coming.
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by Maidoki14(m): 8:05am On Jul 04, 2013
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by momodub: 9:45am On Jul 04, 2013
smileyhope them are not on drugs 1st of all smiley
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by sylve11: 9:46am On Jul 04, 2013
Just too bad! cool
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by dridowu: 9:47am On Jul 04, 2013
Ok, next thread
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by bellaberry: 9:49am On Jul 04, 2013
Na today? All these leaders that are meant to lead by example, keep intimidating and claiming rights with ordinary road users. very shameful!
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by Okijajuju1(m): 9:50am On Jul 04, 2013
Government convoys...

Police cars/Convoys...

Bank bullion Vans...

Infact, any car with a siren and/or Policemen in it..

1 Like

Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by Intrepid1(m): 9:50am On Jul 04, 2013
The primary blame should go to these 'VIPs' who condone the excesses of their details. They sit comfortably in their air-conditioned luxury cars paid by the same people their security details harass needlessly without giving a flying mess. I seethe when I see minor, pedestrian civil servants blare sirens on Lagos roads on their way to go and eat peppersoup or nack their aristos, shoving hardworking civilians rudely out of their commandeered paths. A big shame!

2 Likes

Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by fitzmayowa: 9:53am On Jul 04, 2013
They care less about who gets hurt...They just drive as if the road is meant only for the "thiefing" governors SMH

1 Like

Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by Wendyslim(f): 10:02am On Jul 04, 2013
Dir life has been paid for undecided undecided
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by point5: 10:06am On Jul 04, 2013
Nawa o,,instead of bn gud exampl 2 our nations road userz.dey bcam d oposit,das hw forma Gov of Delta state convoy claimd d lif of my cousin in the year 2007 along kwakwalada Abuja xpres way..May her soul n dos dpartd rest in d Lord..Amen
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by Nobody: 10:08am On Jul 04, 2013
"Bad roads,tight roads(road dat is not wide enough),reckless drivers who always drive at high speed and most expecially the tanker drivers and truck driver"" are d major cos of accident in nigeria.
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by AnOlAd: 10:09am On Jul 04, 2013
And the aides they always die.... Odeshi they politicians body... Make this dem drivers give themselves brain... Cos they are always the sacrifice...
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 04, 2013
Al dis government convors dey pain me,at d end dey wil b free while d innocent man on d road dies.
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by ichommy(m): 10:21am On Jul 04, 2013
Nah today
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by jamace(m): 11:20am On Jul 04, 2013
Yes o. Those drivers own too much. Haba! angry
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by honeikate(f): 11:38am On Jul 04, 2013
Those drivers a̲̣r̶̲̅ε̲̣ trained for finishing by those vip's nd if dey dnt drive as instructed,dey get fired. Due to d rate of unemployment in d country,d fear of been jobless make the drivers follow the instructions like fools.
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 04, 2013
When you hear a siren and see a long convoy, please leave the road totally. Stop deceiving yourself that you have the same right with a government official because they will kill you for nothing and no case.

I remember when James Ibori was governor, he had six patrol bikes on his convoy. 2 stayed with the convoy, 2 ended the convoy while 2 went as far as the following town to announce the approach of his excellency's convoy. They ran that distance to and fro until the convoy gets there and passes. Meanwhile the convoy of over 20 cars could pass you before you say 'James Ibori'. If they hit you, death is sure and if you survive, pray against police brutality.

Bottom line is, you see an official coming, leave the damn road for them to pass.

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

5 Likes

Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by biolabee(m): 12:48pm On Jul 04, 2013
True.....I clear off the road when i hear them coming

To be alive is better than being killed for nothing

blink182: When you hear a siren and see a long convoy, please leave the road totally. Stop deceiving yourself that you have the same right with a government official because they will kill you for nothing and no case.

I remember when James Ibori was governor, he had six patrol bikes on his convoy. 2 stayed with the convoy, 2 ended the convoy while 2 went as far as the following town to announce the approach of his excellency's convoy. They ran that distance to and fro until the convoy gets there and passes. Meanwhile the convoy of over 20 cars could pass you before you say 'James Ibori'. If they hit you, death is sure and if you survive, pray against police brutality.

Bottom line is, you see an official coming, leave the damn road for them to pass.

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by obailala(m): 1:06pm On Jul 04, 2013
I once traveled in a govt convoy and I had my heart in my hand all through the journey. Govt convoy drivers are nothing but little beasts from hell just sent out to put their lives and the lives of other road users at risk. Unfortunately, Nigeria is a lawless nation so no matter how serious the campaign gets to check the excesses of govt convoys, nothing will ever change.
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by MichaelKurtz: 1:16pm On Jul 04, 2013
HELLO FOLKS,.. For those which their MTN MAGIC SIM CARDS HAS STOPPED WORKING... here's a chance to continue surfing for free

NEW MTN MAGIC SIM SETTINGS now available...
Note= I don't sell the sim, it's do it yourself (diy) procedure.

And yes, I don't give out the settings for free,price is (1500)interested guys should call me on (08¹695²5o¹⁴)

To god be the glory cool
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 04, 2013
Political Madness
Re: Governors’ Convoy Drivers As Agents Of Death by olly4life: 5:55pm On Jul 04, 2013
D only sane government officers that honour other road users no matter the urgency is Guvrnor Babatunde Fashola & his deputy. Dey do not use siren, d Rider only seek other road users permission in a polite manner @ intersection. it wowed me twice now that I had these encounters with them, so I concluded it has to do wit d government officers and not their servants. QED. A word is enough for the wise o. Keep it up BRF & Mrs Orelope.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is There Any University In Nigeria That Can Accept This Result??? / APC Reconciliation: Tinubu Meets Taraba State APC Factions (Photos) / Defection Of Gana Unfortunate, Has No Impact On The Party- PDP Youth Coordinator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.