Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,235 members, 7,780,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:35 PM

Giving Birth In Canada - Travel (143) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Giving Birth In Canada (678291 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2019
Thanks for sharing again. Have a safr trip

Dsquare2017:
Long Post Alert!!
Sorry I’ve been so busy that I have not had time or strength to type up the rest of the journey. Our baby was born about 3 weeks ago. Thanks to Almighty God for the successful delivery. So here’s the rest of the story:
First, update on the lab test at doctor’s office is 55CAD extra for a vaginal swab test for which I got the invoice about a week after birth of our baby. So that brings the total lab test cost to 178CAD
Labor, Hospital, and Delivery:
So my wife got an early labor and baby on a Friday at 37 weeks 2 days. Went to hospital the next day morning only to be turned back in the afternoon because dilation was still 1cm. However, we were charged 650CAD for that visit by the hospital. Later that night labor got worse and we returned to hospital at about 10pm. My wife’s dilation was checked to be almost 3cm and they told us to wait until it’s 3cm. However we were advised to wait and be admitted to the labor room at 12am so we won’t have to pay for 2 nights (This was because, the baby has to be in the hospital for 24 complete hours before being discharged as Ontario law requires.) So were finally admitted 11:30pm on a Saturday and baby was born @ 5:17am on Sunday morning. (I was scared they’d charge us for the 30 minutes before 12am, but when I spoke to them in accounts the following Monday morning, they were understanding, and we only paid for one night.) We were discharged on Monday morning since the 24hrs ended at 5:17am on Monday morning. We used an Epidural which cost us 1,100CAD and it covers as many epidurals as required until birth (it’s non-negotiable as the doctor did not reduce it even when we tried to negotiate. However, I heard the cost of the epidural differ from anesthesiologist to anesthesiologist and could be anywhere from 500CAD to 1200CAD depending on whoever’s on duty)
Hospital bill for one night was 3505CAD(which we had paid earlier) and that included mother and baby, lab tests, drugs, food (for mother and baby if the mother cannot breastfeed), diapers, maternity pads, disposable panties for mother, and accommodation for support person (a collapsible chair in the labor room as well as the mother and baby room).
First pediatric visit was 3 days after birth. We were given a list of Humber river pediatricians and we used the one closest to us. The guy charged 300CAD for first visit and said subsequent visit is 200CAD. After first visit we were supposed to return a week later. However, for some reason we were not comfortable with the price. So we researched about other pediatricians not connected with Humber river hospital. We found Kidscrew children clinic. We were charged 80 dollars for Pediatric visit at Kidscrew. We regretted going to the first guy anyway. But at least thank God the joy of delivery was greater than the regret of spending.
Birth Certificate, Ticket, and Passports Application
Birth certificate was applied for online through service Ontario. Cost 25CAD and was approved the next day. Received it at my address through Canada post 1 week after approval.
Baby ticket was 216CAD with Lufthansa airline. Bassinet seat cost extra 77CAD. Both were obtained over the phone with airline desk and new ticket was sent to my email. (Note that flight ticket with baby’s name showing on it is required to get and urgent or express passport)
Canadian passport was applied for after baby got her passport photograph (20CAD for 4 copies). I wanted to go with the no guarantor option which requires filling a form that shows information about you within the last five years including addresses, and jobs. Then 2 referees which can be reached by the phone numbers you provide. Also, the form must be signed at a notary public office which would cost 78CAD since he will be serving as your guarantor. (Notary public office is less than a minute walk from the downtown passport office I went to. However, I had no need to use the notary public office anymore because I was able to contact a friend whom I thought was not even in the country. Fortunately, she had returned, and she signed as guarantor for me. Passport application and express delivery cost 107CAD. They said I did not qualify for urgent service since I’m not travelling within 2 weeks. So I was given express service and told to come the next 2 business days. Went there and got my baby’s passport
Instead of applying for a Nigerian emergency travel certificate, we decided to apply for a Nigerian passport since we had time and we figured it will be more difficult to get the baby a passport in Nigeria(they don’t even have passport booklet) The Nigerian passport office was in Ottawa. But application has to be made online and payment has to be done online as well (77USD). Printed out all the required documents and got on our way to Ottawa as baby has to be present in person at Ottawa for photograph. Left Toronto on a Monday afternoon, got to Ottawa on a Monday evening and went to passport office on Tuesday morning. (Note that after filling the application online already, appointment was given to come to the Ottawa office 10 days later, however, we went there the next day following the advice I was given when I called the office to come whenever it’s convenient for me). Got to the office on Tuesday morning and submitted the application documents. Got the passport in the afternoon and got on our way back to Toronto the next day.
So all we do now is sit and wait for our flight to return home and hopefully we should not encounter any challenges all through. The God who has started this has brought it to completion. We are just nothing but grateful.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Dsquare2017(m): 1:47pm On Nov 28, 2019
Thanks @Hotstepper
@Newmomof2, it's exactly as Hotstepper said. Canadian Passport application was submitted on a Friday and it was ready for pickup the following Tuesday (2 business days). Service is Express service. Baby presence not required. But baby passport photograph must be taken (can be taken at any photo studio as long as it meets requirements). Both husband and wife must sign the form but only one of them may go to the passport office for the application.

Nigerian passport application was submitted on a Tuesday, and passport was received the same day. Baby presence required. Both husband and wife must sign consent letter. Both or one of them can go with the baby to the passport office

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Tutsy50: 3:58am On Nov 29, 2019
Which hospital pls

I will like to share experience on POE.

As earlier explained on the thread, i got my visa before I got pregnant. it was a tourist visa. I reconsidered and decided to have my baby in Canada and not US for personal reasons.

1. I wrote to the embassy to indicate additional intent to travel to Canada, to include birth in addition to tourism. I got no response even after a month of writing.

2. Flight was smooth, no issues all through. Then i got to Pearson intl airport, Toronto

3. I was very honest. no point being dishonest in my opinion. i filled the automated entry kiosk place.. no of days to stay in camada, food declaration cos i had dried fish. i picked up my printed form and proceeded to immigration. Officer one looks at my slip and tells me to go to immigration section 2. I joined another queue.. lol

officer: hi. why are u here?
me: to have my baby and hopefully some tourism
officer: why u here to have a baby
me: cos there's better medicare here than in my home country and its been a difficult pregnancy. want to cover all grounds. and since i can afford it, why not?
officer: why not US? they have better medicare there
me: i have 2 sisters in canada. i need family support for this project. i have no sisters in US.
officer: how can u afford it?
me: i work. i have on me equivalent of 10,000CAD for this purpose. i have debit/credit cards for miscellaneous expenses should they arise.
officer: where are you staying?
me: Airbnb (i gave him my airbnb printed receipts cos i have made part payment on Airbnb, gave him my letter to embassy stating intent change)
officer: he takes his time to go through the documents. where is the response from the embassy?
me: i never got one
officer: you will be staying alone?
me: yes. my husband will come closer to delivery date. its tough for a man to get timeoff work for a long time..my sisters will also come to ontario after delivery.
officer: what foodstuff are u here to sell
me: i am not here to trade but to have a baby. all foodstuff on me is for personal use only and in very small quantities.
officer: ok. you can go in.

Thats all.

4. doctor. Dr. Kosalky. i had discussed with doctor whilst in Naija and also booked an appointmt but they told me pointblank, i shld not expect an email or anything from them. no payment can be made, etc....

here's summary of cost
doctor - 2800 for CS
hospital - 3505 (one night mom n child)
ultrasound scan - 82
labs - 223
epidural - 1000
paediatrician - 500
dr consultation fee - 120 per first visit. 60 subsequent visit.

I hope someone finds this helpful.
all the best guys.

following the thread, it seems the more difficult part is getting a visa.. all the best to everyone trying..
[/quote]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by newmomof2: 5:16pm On Nov 29, 2019
Thank you @hotstepper and @dsquare2017. I am clear now. thanks.

@tutsy50... hospital is humber river hospital
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by OmoBendel24: 3:36pm On Nov 30, 2019
Semisolasola:
I have given those who I can give
People should also do their research and not flood this one hosp
These are the kind of lapses they are avoiding.
By the time almost ten people submit using same Hosp ,same period..does it make sense?i did my research,I slept on google day and night,sending mails even to addy that I know has nothing do with such info that I needed from the Hosp.i sent some Hosp twitter messages.make everyone go research abeg

Way to go! Thanks for giving back and encouraging others to go the research route, nothing like it actually. Anything short of that may boomerang soonest. Till lately Houston was more of our people’s destination for childbirthing because of mass following/mad rush and all immediately one person drops details, nobody cares to research again. It even got to a point where the “law of demand and supply” kicked in, prices got hiked and shabby care was almost going to be on the rise....

Thanks once more ma!

Thread got some more life now, kudos y’all!

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Lankesolanke: 5:48pm On Nov 30, 2019
December pls be kind to us..as we step into this graceful month..all we wanna read from here is approval alerts,transcripts and post..God the master planner take control

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Semisolasola: 6:21pm On Nov 30, 2019
Amen
Lankesolanke:
December pls be kind to us..as we step into this graceful month..all we wanna read from here is approval alerts,transcripts and post..God the master planner take control
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Semisolasola: 6:24pm On Nov 30, 2019
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by NothingDoMe: 6:51pm On Nov 30, 2019
Semisolasola:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/persons-wishing-enter-canada-purpose-giving-birth.html
This has finally been addressed.misrepresentation and concealing of pregnancy is a huge deal,make no mistake ..it’s not illegal to give birth in Canada.
That information has been there since God knows when. Humans tend to have selective reading and understanding when the information being passed across is not palatable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 3:05am On Dec 01, 2019
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by NothingDoMe: 5:18am On Dec 01, 2019
Bluefin:

Not true. Some changes were made on November 21 as per the article. The joke is on you smiley
Changes specific to intent to conceal a pregnancy? Nah. It's been there a while.

I believe this is the change made on November 21:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2019-high-risk-pregnacnies.html

Here's a list of updates. They make quite an interesting read. Enjoy.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates.html

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 5:56am On Dec 01, 2019
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by NothingDoMe: 8:06am On Dec 01, 2019
Bluefin:

The change made on November 21 is the link she sent. If you look under it it shows you the date.
Lol. Didn't i just say that humans have selective reading and understanding?

3 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Semisolasola: 9:10am On Dec 01, 2019
people should read and understand the post..Nairaland is to divulge info regardless
NothingDoMe:
That information has been there since God knows when. Humans tend to have selective reading and understanding when the information being passed across is not palatable.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by NothingDoMe: 11:04am On Dec 01, 2019
Semisolasola:
I don’t see the need for this back and forth.whether it’s been there for 100 years.the fact is people should read and understand the post..Nairaland is to divulge info regardless
I agree. No matter the length of time that information has been there it is still not as important as having a good conscience. Not everyone has access to the law. But we all have access to our conscience. What is right and what is wrong.

Truly, Nairaland is a good platform to divulge information. It is also a good platform to reactivate dead consciences.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Semisolasola: 12:07pm On Dec 01, 2019
cheesy grin
NothingDoMe:
I agree. No matter the length of time that information has been there it is still not as important as having a good conscience. Not everyone has access to the law. But we all have access to our conscience. What is right and what is wrong.

Truly, Nairaland is a good platform to divulge information. It is also a good platform to reactivate dead consciences.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 01, 2019

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by NothingDoMe: 3:23pm On Dec 01, 2019
Semisolasola:
I am not understanding oo,another thing dey apart from the link and the news therein:wetin concern conscience with this matter..we posted it so people who fear they might be refused visa by not stating their intent of birthing can now see that it’s actually legal to birth in the USA..maybe argument just dey hungry you sha cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Franeby: 11:54am On Dec 03, 2019
Please has anyone gotten a response recently?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 04, 2019
Pls come and share with the house..seem they havent answered any birthing cos tourist people have been getting responses
Franeby:
Please has anyone gotten a response recently?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2019
I do not think anyone has gotten reply yet especially with the whole knew policy of paying 1st. I also hope they will not be holding people's passport just to waste time and they end up birthing in Naija as the case has been.

We can only hope for the best

Demicoker:
Pls come and share with the house..seem they have answered any birthing cos tourist people have been getting responses

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by okoji: 5:49pm On Dec 05, 2019
Update:

Refused based on "not satisfied I will leave at end of stay". Will process a refund of my hospital deposit. Goodluck to everyone
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by NothingDoMe: 6:42pm On Dec 05, 2019
I saw the request by the embassy to provide proof that formal arrangements have been made to pay for health services in Canada. I noticed that they mention hospital administration and regional health authority.

My questions. Will payment to the hospital meet this requirement? Is the hospital administration and regional health authority one and the same? If they are not the same then how does one get official documents from the regional health authority?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 7:35pm On Dec 05, 2019
Sad to hear this....

okoji:
Update:

Refused based on "not satisfied I will leave at end of stay". Will process a refund of my hospital deposit. Goodluck to everyone
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Franeby: 7:44pm On Dec 05, 2019
wow, this is sad. so sorry. Please when did u apply, when did u submit d correspondence and what documents did u submit pls..

okoji:
Update:

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 7:54pm On Dec 05, 2019
How much was in your closing account, how much will hospital nd dr feea cost u?

okoji:
Update:

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by okoji: 8:28pm On Dec 05, 2019
Franeby:
wow, this is sad. so sorry. Please when did u apply, when did u submit d correspondence and what documents did u submit pls..

Submitted September 29th
Correspondence was submitted November 20th. Paid both doctor and hospital. Paid doctor almost 5k cad and deposited over 1k cad with hospital.
Bvl dropped yesterday
Rejection today
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by okoji: 8:30pm On Dec 05, 2019
Hotstepper:

How much was in your closing account, how much will hospital nd dr feea cost u?

Around $40,000usd
And 2mill naira in my accounts
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 05, 2019
What documents did you submit?
Do you have relatives in Canada?
How strong is your tie in Nigeria
Also you can request for gcms to know the exact reason for denial if you wish..
So sorry...
okoji:

Submitted September 29th
Correspondence was submitted November 20th. Paid both doctor and hospital. Paid doctor almost 5k cad and deposited over 1k cad with hospital.
Bvl dropped yesterday
Rejection today
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Semisolasola: 9:16pm On Dec 05, 2019
I had to go read this competent authority over and over to understand if applicants are not missing the point or misunderstanding
okoji:

Around $40,000usd
And 2mill naira in my accounts
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Franeby: 9:18pm On Dec 05, 2019
I submitted my application 7th August
Correspondene was submitted 13th November. im yet to hear from them.

Pls, if u dont mind, what documents did u submit? were u going alone?

quote author=okoji post=84659559]

Submitted September 29th
Bvl dropped yesterday
Rejection today[/quote]
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Semisolasola: 9:18pm On Dec 05, 2019
Nobody knows for sure as this is new until there is a succes story before we can understand what this really means and how it works
Success to all waiting applicant..
NothingDoMe:
I saw the request by the embassy to provide proof that formal arrangements have been made to pay for health services in Canada. I noticed that they mention hospital administration and regional health authority.

My questions. Will payment to the hospital meet this requirement? Is the hospital administration and regional health authority one and the same? If they are not the same then how does one get official documents from the regional health authority?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (167) (Reply)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.