Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria (58726 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? / Your Husband in The Labor Room During Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 04, 2013
Hi All,

We all must have heard about the CEO of Ewar makeovers passing away due to complications arising from Childbirth, she was a friend therefore I am heart broken. cry

Since the story broke out yesterday, I have heard so many scary stories about having your child in Nigeria both from people offline and online. A friend actually told me she was given general anaesthetic and oxygen finished during the process, God saved her.

P.S this is not a UK/US is better than Nigeria thread as we all live in different regions and have different purses. If you have had bad experiences abroad too, feel free to share. I just want mothers to share their experiences and maybe reccommend good hospitals to expectants mothers and also name and shame the bad ones.

I suspect the Dads will have more stories to tell as they do all the running around when the woman is in labour or having a CS.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by damiso(f): 4:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
Childbirth and pregnancy can be the most simple, straightforward process ever.Its a miracle from conception to birth and its such a wonderful thing.But one complication can make it all go wrong.
One can have bad experiences anywhere and sometimes its not the fault of the healthcare personnel or facilities sometimes it is.

I had a very awful experience with my daughter delivery.Maybe it was a coincidence or not but the midwife on duty was a Nigerian and boy o boy her reputation precedes her.My friend who had her baby same year as mine and is due sept is actually praying and fasting for it not to be this woman.Very hard, unfeeling and generally cranky.This woman made me push for 3 and a half hrs when my baby's umblical cord was wrapped round her neck. The consultant ob/gyn I saw in my second pregnancy could not get over it.Thank God my husband was there and literarily had to shout at her that she is in so much pain and vulnerable and you are still being so mean to her.The registar who took over said she should have done somethings to notice that it was the cord pushing the baby back
I cant quantify the exhaustion and my baby was getting distressed.As soon as the other midwife (a white lady faaaaaar nicer) rang the bell ,the response was like something out of a movie, the room was filled with diff people and I think God just put in his hand cos I was about to be wheeled In for a CS.I pushed on the next contraction and my babys head came.You dont want to know how I was cut cry cry cry, I had to have a spinal to be sewn up.All because the foolish woman felt I was being lazy and did not want to push.This was in St Thomas hospital with one of the best matermity units in the Uk.
So you can have horrible experiences anywhere.Though Nigeria needs to tackle maternal.mortality.Its far too high for the advances in medicine.

6 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
I had my first baby at the st. georgies hospital in tooting and it was a mixed experience. My water broke and I went with my husband to the hospital, upon some examination, the nurse told me my water had not broken and it was probably incontinence; I was convinced my water had broken but she wasn't so she sent me back home, ask that I should use pads and then come back to the hospital the following day. I was a bit disappointed(as I had been looking forward to finally seeing the baby that kicks me so much that sometimes it hurts) but went back home all the same.
I kept changing pads throughout the night and showing my husband just so he can be sure but I wasn't having any contractions and the amniotic fluid wasn't really like gushing out of me.
We went back to the Hospital the following day and we were not attended to until about 12.00 noon(partly because I wasn't showing any sign of pain or discomfort)The nurse that attended to me also said that my water had not broken but god of heaven must have intervened and she requested for pads from the other night which I showed to her. Upon showing her the pad, the next couple of hours after was like I was in an episode of doctors or ER. The Nurse ran and got me seated in a private room where all manner of wires connected to a computer were strapped on my chest and my big tummy. The nurse LATER explained that the pad had greenish colour which meant that the baby had poo-ed and could be in distress.
I was later transferred to a room where a Nigerian nurse was on duty. needless to say, she was distracted and didn't notice on the chart when the baby's heartbeat was going off. she apologised to us once things later stabilised. After about 3 hours and with still no contractions and a new team of doctor and nurses resuming shift, the doctor team lead(God bless her heart) said I have o be induced since its about 24 hours that my water had broken and to avoid the baby having an infection; I accepted and called my sis at home to be praying for me.(it was in April and I had earlier lost my mum in April of the previous year) However, as soon as I was induced, the baby reacted and the heartbeat started to drop, the Asian nurse monitoring the screen quickly made an emergency call to the doctor who rushed in and told my husband "I HAVE TO GET THIS BABY OUT IN 15 MINUTES" I was rushed into the theatre and was operated on and the baby- a boy was brought out. he was monitored further and thankfully to God, he was perfectly normal. I was later sown up and given good care thereafter. I was told to ask for anaesthetic anytime I feel pain which I did and they freely gave.
3 years after, I had my second child in an hospital in the Jabi area of Abuja, this time I elected to have a C/S after my Doctor advised all through pre-natal consultation. Now, for someone who had seen Hospitals, Caring Doctor and proper equipment, to say I was disappointed at the theatre would be an understatement. I just kept praying. the floor was bare, no screens, no wires and just the doctors. The only "equipment" I saw was an iron bucket(the kind I last saw during my secondary school days)> But God saved me and the CS was successful. the recovery part was the scary part; I was in serious pains and I kept asking for pain killers but none was given. A doctor at some point told my husband to tell me to calm down and bear the pains since I had just been sliced(her exact words). I at some point fell that life was going out of me and it was just God's mercy that saw me through. I went back home with a very beautiful daughter and a heart full of gratitude to God. I am however very scared to entertain the thought of another child. I would have really love to have one more but my last experience kinda freaked me out.
I hate to compare Countries but I have to say that the Medical Team in UK showed that they "owed" me a duty of care and also they would have been questioned if anything had happened to me or the Baby but the Nija guys were all over the place, no cohesion, no duty of care and all.
I pray that that pretty CEO rests in peace and may God have mercy on all of us but just maybe it could have been different elsewhere.

10 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
AwwwDamiso how did the Nigerian midwife get away with that? My God. Do you think this is a Nigerian thing or what? Why are we some of our healthworkers so laidback and generally nasty? I bet she brought the attitude from a hospital in Nigeria. Thhank God you and your baby survived.

Mrs Flawless, I love your story because it gives a basis for comparison. Please how can you carry out a surgery without any machines to monitor heart rate etc. Nigeria has such a long way to go and I am convinced if it was elsewhere, Nike's story will be different. I guess if you don't have a complication free pregnancy in Naija, your chances are slim.

For me I had my 1st baby at Basildon hospital, my midwife was cool from another african couNtry I guess. On my birthday I was 34 weeks and went for the regular checkup and she found out I had preclampsia, I was rushed to the hospital and the kind of care I got was amazing. I was at the intensive care unit with about 3 midwifes and one consultant attending to me. They were trying to get my BP down so they can bring out the baby. The consultant even said to me ' I heard today is your birthday so I will make sure you have the baby today', they were so nice. I was rushed to the thheatre when they sensed the baby's heartbeat had dropped at about 11.15pm. After all the preparation the consultant said what's the time? They told him 11.45pm, he said we must have this baby today. He started working and was asking of the time at intervals, he brought out the baby and asked for the time and they told him 11.58pm and he smiled, everybody started clapping. My hubby told me all these because I was to weak to even notice, I just heard the clap and thought it was because my boy was born. It was an amazing experience and I am so grateful to that team. My son and I share the same birthday. If I was in Nigeria, I can't say for sure what my story would have been.The level of care is worlds apart, let' s forget the faciltieS available, why are our health workers sometimes insensitive without going the extra mile? Even when they find themselves in a different environment like the UK?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 05, 2013
I had a very awful experience when I had my son 4 years ago, It was through CS, after what I went thru I'm afraid of being pragnant. Please advice me on how to overcome this fear.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 05, 2013
Hi Brito,

So sorry to hear about your experience, CS is never easy for anyone but depending on the support and kind of care you get, it can be a whole lot easier.

First of all, was it the hospital, the staff or the way the surgery was done? If so, I suggest you do research on very good hospitals around you. I hear once you have had a CS, you are more likely to have another but you can prepare yourself.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 05, 2013
aysometin: Hi Brito,

So sorry to hear about your experience, CS is never easy for anyone but depending on the support and kind of care you get, it can be a whole lot easier.

First of all, was it the hospital, the staff or the way the surgery was done? If so, I suggest you do research on very good hospitals around you. I hear once you have had a CS, you are more likely to have another but you can prepare yourself.
There is no bad thing in cs.I will definetly give birth to all my kids tru that.unless one uses bad hospital and wrong timing.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
There is no bad thing in cs.I will definetly give birth to all my kids tru that.unless one uses bad hospital and wrong timing.

I definitely agree with you but she had a bad experience and needs advice, how can she overcome the fear?

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 05, 2013
Reading the experiences here, have inspired me to work harder. I must not have my babies in Nigeria. The experiences here are pretty scary, giving birth is already a scary experience adding lack of equipment and nonchalant staff is almost a suicide recipe. Years ago my friend gave birth in a teaching hospital in PH, and the midwife was slapping her during labour when she was trying to push.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by nikkyshyne(f): 2:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
I lost my mum thru childbirth cry

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2013
it would be nice if nairalanders based in Nigeria can give us names of good hospitals where they have given birth in the past.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 05, 2013
nikkyshyne: I lost my mum thru childbirth cry

Sorry about that.

honey86: it would be nice if nairalanders based in Nigeria can give us names of good hospitals where they have given birth in the past.

Eko hospital, Lagoon, Reddington are all good hospitals in Lagos with well trained doctors but more expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 05, 2013
steph7: Reading the experiences here, have inspired me to work harder. I must not have my babies in Nigeria. The experiences here are pretty scary, giving birth is already a scary experience adding lack of equipment and nonchalant staff is almost a suicide recipe. Years ago my friend gave birth in a teaching hospital in PH, and the midwife was slapping her during labour when she was trying to push.

The irony of this is that in the UK the service is free for residents and citizens. I know we pay a lot of taxes but I think most Nigerians will be happy to pay a bit of money every month if they are guranteed good healthcare systems. Such a shame on our government.
It can still be done though, the NHS is 65 years old today which means the UK started this less than 100 years ago, may God provide us with visionary leaders.

nikkyshyne: I lost my mum thru childbirth cry

So sorry about your mum

3 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 05, 2013
aysometin:

The irony of this is that in the UK the service is free for residents and citizens. I know we pay a lot of taxes but I think most Nigerians will be happy to pay a bit of money every month if they are guranteed good healthcare systems. Such a shame on our government.
It can still be done though, the NHS is 65 years old today which means the UK started this less than 100 years ago, may God provide us with visionary leaders.

True ! the only thing I prefer about the Nigerian health care system is the shorter waiting times in private hospitals as compared to NHS centres

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
aysometin:

I definitely agree with you but she had a bad experience and needs advice, how can she overcome the fear?
Fear is just a tot pattern. That a car killed ur lvd one will defintely not stop u from buying one if u hv d doo.
Shift ur tot pattern to gettin a good hospital and hvin a wonderful and safe delivery anytime it comes to mind.as time goes on,it will become real in ur subconscious. Once u keep on entertainin such tots,they will keep on tormenting u and ur mind won't be free to consider many options available.
It has hapned,u r alive with ur baby I think. Some lost their own and with horrible stories to tell but they hv to shift it to one corner and continue.
Wish her d best
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Policewoman(f): 4:59pm On Jul 05, 2013
aysometin: Hi All,

We all must have heard about the CEO of Ewar makeovers passing away due to complications arising from Childbirth, she was a friend therefore I am heart broken. cry

Since the story broke out yesterday, I have heard so many scary stories about having your child in Nigeria both from people offline and online. A friend actually told me she was given general anaesthetic and oxygen finished during the process, God saved her.

P.S this is not a UK/US is better than Nigeria thread as we all live in different regions and have different purses. If you have had bad experiences abroad too, feel free to share. I just want mothers to share their experiences and maybe reccommend good hospitals to expectants mothers and also name and shame the bad ones.

I suspect the Dads will have more stories to tell as they do all the running around when the woman is in labour or having a CS.

I had my own birth in National Hospital, Abuja a few years back. But the place is in a total mess now. Last week when a friend wanted to deliver and was not dilating enough, they scheduled her for a CS, but said she had to wait till morning cos the Doctors were on strike. So we had to rake for them there o, carry the babe sharp sharp go one private Hospital. There she delivered without issues, not even needing a CS. Try to give birth in a good private hospital if u can afford it.

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by effisyman: 5:00pm On Jul 05, 2013
Child birth process is a risk, giving birth in Nigeria is another risk but wetin poor man go do.

Na waa ooo.

4 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by otijah(m): 5:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
Nt yet a father @op wetin I go talk abt my own experience
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by fitzmayowa: 5:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
following

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 05, 2013
Creepy stories.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by jennyo: 5:08pm On Jul 05, 2013
had my two babies in luth via C-section .The operation in both cases took lest than 45 minutes and was discharged four days later.it wasn't comfortable but I honestly felt like I had the best hands taking care of me.

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by tnwmagcom: 5:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
@OP, great topic. The lady has been on my mind since I heard the news of her passing. I had actually met her before and she seemed a pleasant lady.

I guess something that got me thinking about Ewar's case is why was she under general anaesthesia? I have never had CS but from what I understand, women are given an epidural which numbs the pain from waist down but the mother is aware throughout the procedure. I am just wondering why general anaesthesia was used in this case. Is this the norm in Nigeria? Can a doctor please explain why?

I have also heard that most Teaching Hospitals give all women episiotomy during delivery irrespective of circumstance. I have confirmed from a few doctor friends and it seems to be a standard process. Again, can a doctor explain why? While I was having my first child, the doctor was trying hard to make sure that I did not have a single tear and so it is quite hard to understand why the women are just cut anyway in Nigeria.

Whether we want to admit it or not, our healthcare is in shambles and I don't entirely blame the care givers. My family think I am OTT but I have informed that them even if I have a headache, they should not take me to a hospital in Nigeria. I have lost quite a few close people to negligence in that country. Truth is Ewar stood a good chance no matter her condition if she was elsewhere but Nigeria. Sad but the absolute truth.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
Policewoman: .

busted!
you are under arrest
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Lilimax(f): 5:14pm On Jul 05, 2013
Policewoman: I had my own birth in National Hospital, Abuja a few years back. But the place is in a total mess now. Last week when a friend wanted to deliver and was not dilating enough, they scheduled her for a CS, but said she had to wait till morning cos the Doctors were on strike. So we had to rake for them there o, carry the babe sharp sharp go one private Hospital. There she delivered without issues, not even needing a CS. Try to give birth in a good private hospital if u can afford it.
God help us... Not all the private hospitals are good. My sister inlaw lost her son just two weeks ago after waiting for 10yrs. Reason, she was already due for delivery and fell into labour. She came to the hospital and a scan was conducted on her during which they discovered that the placnta has detached from the foetus. She was then referred to a General hospital. You know Nigerian setting, before she was attended to, the baby was already dead. It was very painful experience.
Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Policewoman(f): 5:15pm On Jul 05, 2013
I would advise those going for C.S to request for an epidural. It makes the whole thing less painful and quick also. But sha make sure your husband finds out if they have a good anaesthetologist. For Abuja, DIFF, Nisa Premier, Zankli are ok, but they are very expensive (some C.S can cost as much as N1M)or Asokoro, Maitama or Garki general hospitals. Abuja clinics too is very good. One of the best.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria by Policewoman(f): 5:16pm On Jul 05, 2013
Imanuelle:

busted!
you are under arrest
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you.
Who be this one?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Dumps His 4 Kids At Agege LGA With Note 'I Can't Feed Them Cos Of Hardship' / Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? / Meet Sayo And Jomi: Taiwo Sayo & Kehinde Folajomi, Identical Twin Sisters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.