Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,813 members, 7,798,743 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? (6932 Views)

APTECH Products Please I Need Urgent Info. Please!!!! / Aptech ADSE Or Nigerian University Which Is Better? / Few Questions About Aptech Computer Institute??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by DeeAe: 3:25pm On Jul 06, 2013
Which is better for a programmer to be? first 2 years at aptech with final 2 years in a UK university for any computer degree of your choice e.g computer science OR 4 years university of computer science?

Which route would you choose and why? Which is the best?

Thank you all in advance.
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 08, 2013
As a programmer i think Aptech is the best. But as a computer scientist go to the Uni. But u already have a good plan. Take it Aptech then Uk uni

2 Likes

Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by d333: 2:00pm On Jul 09, 2013
thank you.. could there be any disadvantage to not following the university route?
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 11, 2013
To be frank i did 3 years at Aptech and transferred to Mauritius which is where i am currently doing a Bsc. let me not lie to you, despite the certificates and all, my advise is actually know the work and field you are entering. Now why do i say so ? Even after school if you have no skill you will unemployable, even here those without certificate and have skills can get your job. Both Options are basically the same because in the end you will end up with a University Certificate. Now the next questioned is the certificate gotten from Aptech worth it, to be frank i don't like Aptech but here in Mauritius they look at Aptech very much and other places. The interviewer who asked me questions asked a lot of questions about Aptech and was surprised how good their curriculum were. Just be passionate about it and the field and trust me. you will get jobs with ease but you have to toil and work hard. All the best. Am always here

5 Likes

Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Raypawer(m): 7:56am On Jul 12, 2013
This post has been hidden
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Raypawer(m): 8:00am On Jul 12, 2013
Bro APTECH
REASONS:
1) at Aptech ur being tutored with practicals.. While in 9ja university, it just theories,
2) you complete the Aptech course by going outside 9ja and come back with a foreign certificate which is more valuable than 9ja cert.

But of all, forget this certificate of a thing, which ever way, know what ur doing...
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by ghettodreamz(m): 2:28am On Jul 13, 2013
Have been eyeing this thread for quite sometime now, don't really want to comment on this BUT if it means helping someone in a dilemma of choice then I guess I have to air out my own take on this.

Are we talking about skill acquisition or certs here? Mind you guys, when it comes to IT, it should be about the skill set and not the cert itself. No doubt the two are important but I won't advice you go to Aptech over Uni. Except if Aptech aren't the same sha, I guess they are just being overrated. I'm talking from a personal experience here, for someone who was so much concerned about the skills, I ended up disappointed despite all the name thing, I would say instead of going there to waste your money and precious time, the best choice anyone can ever make is learning by yourself, with every necessary learning materials you can lay your hands on; then if you have got the moola then traveling to a good country where you can earn yourself a good certificates and of course some skills should be just good. IT is changing everyday, don't limit yourself to learning it in Nigeria where they teach you obsolete programming languages that are little or not in use in our modern days.

At the long run, the choice still yours to make, if you have d financial capacity, enrol yourself in a good school abroad where you can get good skills and good certs that would be recognised in any country wherever you may find yourself, not necessarily for today BUT tomorrow, and don't forget you have to commit yourself too, personal learning and studies should be your goal (self-development) cos greatness is in the individual and not in the school itself.

We shall meet at the top!

2 Likes

Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by d333: 6:35am On Jul 13, 2013
Thank you all for the helpful replies, i'm choosing the university option, as ghettodreamz said; i can learn other additional languages myself, especially since this is what aptech indirectly forces you to do.. and i can register and sit for certificates exams whenever i feel.

For anyone else that might be watching this thread, a general answer from people i physical asked is: they're like niit, just a private organization out to make money, nothing special you can't learn yourself is taught
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 13, 2013
d333: Thank you all for the helpful replies, i'm choosing the university option, as ghettodreamz said; i can learn other additional languages myself, especially since this is what aptech indirectly forces you to do.. and i can register and sit for certificates exams whenever i feel.

For anyone else that might be watching this thread, a general answer from people i physical asked is: they're like niit, just a private organization out to make money, nothing special you can't learn yourself is thougt
Exactly aptech is a rip off, i was there with much programming knowledge bjt went for the cert was shocked to see some terrible teachings there and deprecated html curriculum.
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Raypawer(m): 8:29am On Jul 13, 2013
ghettodreamz: Have been eyeing this thread for quite sometime now, don't really want to comment on this BUT if it means helping someone in a dilemma of choice then I guess I have to air out my own take on this.

Are we talking about skill acquisition or certs here? Mind you guys, when it comes to IT, it should be about the skill set and not the cert itself. No doubt the two are important but I won't advice you go to Aptech over Uni. Except if Aptech aren't the same sha, I guess they are just being overrated. I'm talking from a personal experience here, for someone who was so much concerned about the skills, I ended up disappointed despite all the name thing, I would say instead of going there to waste your money and precious time, the best choice anyone can ever make is learning by yourself, with every necessary learning materials you can lay your hands on; then if you have got the moola then traveling to a good country where you can earn yourself a good certificates and of course some skills should be just good. IT is changing everyday, don't limit yourself to learning it in Nigeria where they teach you obsolete programming languages that are little or not in use in our modern days.

At the long run, the choice still yours to make, if you have d financial capacity, enrol yourself in a good school abroad where you can get good skills and good certs that would be recognised in any country wherever you may find yourself, not necessarily for today BUT tomorrow, and don't forget you have to commit yourself too, personal learning and studies should be your goal (self-development) cos greatness is in the individual and not in the school itself.

nigga, both skilz and cert. APTECH beta...
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by worldbest(m): 10:30am On Jul 13, 2013
IMO, Aptech isn't a rip off. It all depends on what you are going there for. Some of us are already good but want a very good certificate from a reputable uni when we are done, some are there to really learn programming/networking and some are just there to waste time and get a certificate. I cannot tell you they have good teachers but I can tell you that they have good books. With the little understanding you get from the teachers coupled with your own private studies and research, you should have no problems. If you are the lazy type who just wants a teacher to teach you everything then you are screwed no matter where you choose to learn IT.

Finally, If you want a good certificate from a top uni, go to aptech. If you have been doing UTME for more than 4years without success, go to aptech. If you are in a Nigerian uni and you are sure you would fail when you graduate, quit that uni and enrol at aptec(very popular). If you want to waste daddies money and play multi-player games with a bunch of guys, go to aptech. But BEWARE, Girls are extremely scarce cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 13, 2013
worldbest: IMO, Aptech isn't a rip off. It all depends on what you are going there for. Some of us are already good but want a very good certificate from a reputable uni when we are done, some are there to really learn programming/networking and some are just there to waste time and get a certificate. I cannot tell you they have good teachers but I can tell you that they have good books. With the little understanding you get from the teachers coupled with your own private studies and research, you should have no problems. If you are the lazy type who just wants a teacher to teach you everything then you are screwed no matter where you choose to learn IT.

Finally, If you want a good certificate from a top uni, go to aptech. If you have been doing UTME for more than 4years without success, go to aptech. If you are in a Nigerian uni and you are sure you would fail when you graduate, quit that uni and enrol at aptec(very popular). If you want to waste daddies money and play multi-player games with a bunch of guys, go to aptech. But BEWARE, Girls are extremely scarce cheesy
Come worldbest all the time you were in class and the lecturers didn,t come weren,t you practising on your own, the only good teacher there was Mr Emmanuel and he,s gone now, i blame the indian guys thwy don,t pay well thus making the incentive to teach harder, there was a time i skipped school for 2 months cuz it was just nothing but waiting for lecturer. Mr emmanuel was the best teacher there.
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by worldbest(m): 11:39am On Jul 13, 2013
pc guru:
Come worldbest all the time you were in class and the lecturers didn,t come weren,t you practising on your own, the only good teacher there was Mr Emmanuel and he,s gone now, i blame the indian guys thwy don,t pay well thus making the incentive to teach harder, there was a time i skipped school for 2 months cuz it was just nothing but waiting for lecturer. Mr emmanuel was the best teacher there.

You are right. The teachers are below average. Always struggling to explain simple terms. I recent skipped for 2 weeks.
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by ghettodreamz(m): 12:39pm On Jul 13, 2013
Raypawer:

nigga, both skilz and cert. APTECH beta...

I believe we reason and view things from different perspectives, I am not trying to paint them black and won't have commented here if I wasn't sure of what I have said. I don't have idea of what Aptech is like in Nigeria, but from the Aptech I had a firsthand experience about, being highly disappointed is to say the least. I won't say much about this, as I believed I have already advised the OP based on my experience. Like someone had rightly mentioned, if your interested in the cert, then go to Aptech BUT for the skills, you are better off doing things and learning on your own, and with the right and useful materials you can lay your hands on.

It's still boils down to individual's choice.

All d best!
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Raypawer(m): 12:34pm On Jul 14, 2013
ghettodreamz:

I believe we reason and view things from different perspectives, I am not trying to paint them black and won't have commented here if I wasn't sure of what I have said. I don't have idea of what Aptech is like in Nigeria, but from the Aptech I had a firsthand experience about, being highly disappointed is to say the least. I won't say much about this, as I believed I have already advised the OP based on my experience. Like someone had rightly mentioned, if your interested in the cert, then go to Aptech BUT for the skills, you are better off doing things and learning on your own, and with the right and useful materials you can lay your hands on.

It's still boils down to individual's choice.

All d best!

#sha, u get point!#
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Nobody: 6:05am On Jul 15, 2013
ghettodreamz: Have been eyeing this thread for quite sometime now, don't really want to comment on this BUT if it means helping someone in a dilemma of choice then I guess I have to air out my own take on this.

I fully agree with you. I had the same experience although at NIIT. Their instructors resign on a daily bases.

@OP my advice is you should go through the uni route, then after you can probably get 1 or 2 certifications from any of these institutions.
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by abdulsamad(m): 6:28am On May 01, 2016
Not Only FPT - Greenwich University
many universities like:

Uk MIDDLESEX UNIVERSITY
UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMORT

University of Middlesex, UK MG University, India
University of Portsmouth, UK C++ Institute
SQA International, UK Aptech Worldwide
University of Plymouth, UK Arena Animations
University of Hertfordshire, UK Griffin Qatar
London Metropolitan University, UK Arena Qatar
University of Central England in Birmingham, UK DNV ISO Certification
Sunderland University, UK Toastmasters International
Pace University, United States ICDL Training & Testing Centre
City University Seattle, United States Microsoft Gold Partner
Universidad de Tecnologica, Mexico Oracle Gold Partner
Southern Cross University, Australia VUE Testing Centre
RMIT University, Australia Prometric Testing Centre

Am Also a Aptech Student @Kaduna branch.
you can contact me on the following for more info:

Email: abdulsamad1420@gmail.com

facebook: facebook.com/abdulsamad.ibrahim

Whatsapp Number : +2348063526672

Mobile Number: +919205007061
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Raypawer(m): 6:53am On May 01, 2016
if you got the money go for Aptech.
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by Raypawer(m): 6:56am On May 01, 2016
Then Aptech in your Village must be a rubbish... don't use that to judge all others!

ghettodreamz:
Have been eyeing this thread for quite sometime now, don't really want to comment on this BUT if it means helping someone in a dilemma of choice then I guess I have to air out my own take on this.

Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by slightlyMad(f): 8:50pm On May 09, 2016
so the question now is

between mr emmanuel and university, which is better
if you cant code, you wont get a job, if you do, you will be fired in a matter of months.
IT world is not like the hospital or bank where you can be forgiven if you are below par.

my advice, go to uni and spent your free time in university to groom yourself.

1 Like

Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by DavidOluyale(m): 10:52am On Mar 21, 2017
d333:
Thank you all for the helpful replies, i'm choosing the university option, as ghettodreamz said; i can learn other additional languages myself, especially since this is what aptech indirectly forces you to do.. and i can register and sit for certificates exams whenever i feel.

For anyone else that might be watching this thread, a general answer from people i physical asked is: they're like niit, just a private organization out to make money, nothing special you can't learn yourself is taught

Aeya. this is coming late, but I would have advised u chose the APTECH route.

1. You are only bothered with coding. no English, Chem101 nd irrelevant stuffs to waste time.
2. A UK cert is of more value both home and abroad.
3. You can't be taught on how to code really. You can only be introduced/guided. The real skill develops based on your personal practicing Which is where most miss it.

Many try to cram it. No you develop the skill by practicing.

But its okay. whichever way there's a way.
Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by DavidOluyale(m): 10:58am On Mar 21, 2017
slightlyMad:
so the question now is

between mr emmanuel and university, which is better
if you cant code, you wont get a job, if you do, you will be fired in a matter of months.
IT world is not like the hospital or bank where you can be forgiven if you are below par.

my advice, go to uni and spent your free time in university to groom yourself.

Not a good advice. If you have the money, Aptech is better

1 Like

Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by RustyStrike: 10:28pm On Jun 02, 2021
Good day fellow Nigerians, I recently came upon this discussion and I was definitely intrigued. First of all, I am a lady and we are no longer as scarce as we used to be. And as a current Aptech student, I believe I have to defend the institution. Don't get me wrong, Aptech is nowhere near perfect but between your local Unis' and Aptech.
Aptech is the better choice. Why?, you ask.
First off, you are only taught strictly on a programming curriculum meaning you don't have to deal with unnecessary subjects like Algebra, English, and co. You only focus on honing your skills as a programmer; which is a plus. And you obviously don't expect the teachers to teach you everything, they themselves are still learning. You won't get better unless you practice on your own, the teachers are just simply there to guide you.
Last but not the least, the certificate. I mean lets be real, anyone possessing an international degree is given more thought than others. Don't mean to come off as rude or offensive, but that's just the world we live in.
Finally, its a great experience. People only really look at the cost of it, before considering the actual value which I totally understand. Honestly its a good foundation to be honest, but overall its your choice...
Have a good day �

1 Like

Re: Aptech Or University Route? Which Is Better? by miss20(f): 11:33am On Jun 16, 2021
RustyStrike:
Good day fellow Nigerians, I recently came upon this discussion and I was definitely intrigued. First of all, I am a lady and we are no longer as scarce as we used to be. And as a current Aptech student, I believe I have to defend the institution. Don't get me wrong, Aptech is nowhere near perfect but between your local Unis' and Aptech.
Aptech is the better choice. Why?, you ask.
First off, you are only taught strictly on a programming curriculum meaning you don't have to deal with unnecessary subjects like Algebra, English, and co. You only focus on honing your skills as a programmer; which is a plus. And you obviously don't expect the teachers to teach you everything, they themselves are still learning. You won't get better unless you practice on your own, the teachers are just simply there to guide you.
Last but not the least, the certificate. I mean lets be real, anyone possessing an international degree is given more thought than others. Don't mean to come off as rude or offensive, but that's just the world we live in.
Finally, its a great experience. People only really look at the cost of it, before considering the actual value which I totally understand. Honestly its a good foundation to be honest, but overall its your choice...
Have a good day �

Hi, I am a lady looking for where to do a course in data analytics. I don’t have any It background though, just passion. Please which IT institute do you recommend? Can I message you privately as well?

(1) (Reply)

How To Build A Snakes And Ladders Game With C++ (no Gui) / Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria / Web Development Using PHP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.