Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (440485 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Basalt(m): 9:15am On May 16, 2019
Gaddafithe2nd:

Brother, calm down it is not as easy as you think. Working and studying is not easy, especially when the country is not your own country.
I have a friend in Germany, I could remember he was given an assignment to summarise a book of 500+ pages. He called me on whatsapp to help him summarise 3 chapters (about 150 pages) on the last day of submission. I had to help him out, because if he doesn't do it, he would have lost some marks. Thank God we both finished the assignment. I am not saying this because I helped him, I am just telling you, it is not that rosy in that country.

I wish you the best.

That's nice point. You know what?
I am not actually harsh as many people think. I am using psychological and controversial approach to get people talk in details on the areas I want to learn from.

But ofcus, many weak minds will start talking trash.

Atleast I have known the following things.

1. You can't easily make 10,000 euros as a student in a year
2. German educational system is tough and requires more dedication
3. To score an A requires, you get 95%
4. To pass a course, you need to score 50%
5. Bavaria education is tougher
Etc

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 9:22am On May 16, 2019
Basalt:

I am not actually harsh as many people think. I am using psychological and controversial approach to get people talk in details on the areas I want to learn from.

Etc

Forgive me but I think you watch too much of sci-fi movies. "psychological & controversial approach". Ok Prof! we've heard your bla bla bla
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 9:27am On May 16, 2019
Glowing1:
Pls everyone ignore Basalt n pls don't respond to any of his shit talk.. That guy has issues. He need to deal with that first. It's people like this that claim to be Efiko, but in reality they know nothing.

He talks like his head is bigger than Jupiter meanwhile I am sure it isn't even the size of a seed of beans

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Basalt(m): 9:53am On May 16, 2019
CallmeFather:

He talks like his head is bigger than Jupiter meanwhile I am sure it isn't even the size of a seed of beans

grin
Remember, don't judge a book by its cover.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Basalt(m): 10:03am On May 16, 2019
At this juncture, I will advise everyone to start learning Deutsch.
You must not attend German class.
Once you have Internet enabled phone, you can learn Deutsch for free to atleast basic level before travelling to Deutschland.
Youtube is there and it's free
Applications plenty and it's free
Materials plenty and it's free.

Na you do yourself if you no want learn.
See you guys next month

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:15am On May 16, 2019
Basalt:

Etc
That is good, but many won't understand your approach they would think you are proud. It is good that you clarified it now.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by ladyb4sure(f): 10:34am On May 16, 2019
Glowing1:
Pls everyone ignore Basalt n pls don't respond to any of his shit talk.. That guy has issues. He need to deal with that first. It's people like this that claim to be Efiko, but in reality they know nothing.
Their type will make their mate not doing well academically to commit suicide grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by willy2000(m): 10:46am On May 16, 2019
ladyb4sure:
Their type will make their mate not doing well academically to commit suicide grin

It seems that's the in-thing now.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Kinfinity007: 11:55am On May 16, 2019
How long does it take to receive admission decision from the University of Trier?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by chimax1(m): 12:11pm On May 16, 2019
Kinfinity007:
How long does it take to receive admission decision from the University of Trier?
oga direct your question to the German student visa thread.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Godsgracee: 12:34pm On May 16, 2019
I don’t know if this is the right section to bring this up; I’m doing it because I believe those here are current or former student in Germany. I was offered admission to study in Munich (MSc). I did my enrollment in proxy and funded before visa interview. It’s been 4 weeks into lectures now and I’m not yet in Germany because of delay in visa. The last info I got from the embassy is that my visa application is still under review. Since lectures have already started, would this negatively affect the outcome of visa?
willy2000:

This is not true? In my school no one takes attendance, it is even a law in Bayern Universities, attendance is not important and your grades are not sent to anybody, that is why there are data privacy laws. Even your professors can only see which modules you have taken if they are not his modules and not your total grades. I have taken exams without attending the classes. The downside is, it is usually difficult to pass but it is doable.
The major issue is, after three semesters you are not allowed to change your University anymore.
And you are given a stipulated amount of time to finish the program, my school gives max six semesters for a master program, even if you fail a module more than 3 times, it does not affect your status or your grade. However, this is not usually the norm in other schools.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by sassy92(f): 12:47pm On May 16, 2019
Please take your question to the Student thread. This thread is about student life, work and living in Germany overall. Questions about applications, visa, schools etc should be asked in the student thread.

Godsgracee:
I don’t know if this is the right section to bring this up; I’m doing it because I believe those here are current or former student in Germany. I was offered admission to study in Munich (MSc). I did my enrollment in proxy and funded before visa interview. It’s been 4 weeks into lectures now and I’m not yet in Germany because of delay in visa. The last info I got from the embassy is that my visa application is still under review. Since lectures have already started, would this negatively affect the outcome of visa?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Godsgracee: 12:54pm On May 16, 2019
sassy92:
Please take your question to the Student thread. This thread is about student life, work and living in Germany overall. Questions about applications, visa, schools etc should be asked in the student thread.

I know about the rules and I believe people on this section are either in Germany or once studied in Germany. I would like to know if they’ve met someone who was offered visa even after missing some classes. I believe that majority of those on student visa section are applicant who may not have such info. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Godsgracee: 1:02pm On May 16, 2019
...and my question was as a result of what @willy2000 wrote: “In my school no one takes attendance, it is even a law in Bayern Universities, attendance is not important and your grades are not sent to anybody, that is why there are data privacy laws.“
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by badmus306(m): 1:06pm On May 16, 2019
Godsgracee:
I know about the rules and I believe people on this section are either in Germany or once studied in Germany. I would like to know if they’ve met someone who was offered visa even after missing some classes. I believe that majority of those on student visa section are applicant who may not have such info. Thanks.
Direct ur question to the student thread
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by badmus306(m): 1:19pm On May 16, 2019
Thank you for the good job.
Cc pompido, nonnyG , willy2000, dobeespen , pompido and other's.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Adeniyii2017: 1:27pm On May 16, 2019
Godsgracee:

That is not true.. those that are here are also there. The only difference is the topic being discussed, or rather the question being asked. This will make people know where to go for a particular info.
Please go ask there, don’t derail this thread.
Enjoy.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Adeniyii2017: 1:29pm On May 16, 2019
badmus306:
Thank you for the good job.
Cc pompido, nonnyG , willy2000, dobeespen , pompido and other's.

We suppose host party for this people amongst others this winter!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by badmus306(m): 1:32pm On May 16, 2019
Adeniyii2017:

We suppose host party for this people amongst others this winter!
And heybaby12 too, those guys find time for us.. Honestly Dem try.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by MarkGud(m): 1:57pm On May 16, 2019
Elders in Germany, what is/are your opinion on my MSc choice of course; Materials Science. I need to know the job opportunities after studies and if it is one of those highly sought after courses in Germany. Make son of man no go knack head for wall and start opening threads after studies.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 5:15pm On May 16, 2019
Gcapable:

Ok bro. I wish you the very best with your studies in Germany

Best response wink cool.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 5:46pm On May 16, 2019
willy2000:

Bro, I would advise you to be humble, failing a course in Germany doesn't mean you are unserious. Wait till you come, then you see how different and intense it is to study here. Besides, overconfidence is a dangerous trait to bring over here. Once you fail an exam, it is difficult to pass it the second time without sacrificing something in your life, and if you fail the second time, the pressure of losing your student status will make you lose concentration when studying for the third trial.

Saying you have never failed an exam b4 ....hm no comment. I just hope you don't fail any when you get here.

Me I've failed an exam too here, it humbled me big time cool.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 5:49pm On May 16, 2019
willy2000:

High demanding IT skills depend on which area, web dev, software dev, mobile, dev, DevOps(hottest kid on the block), AI(this is very broad), data science...........and so on.

But with Web Dev, you can't go wrong. (learn HTML, CSS, Javascript, Angular, React, ) for frontend. (Java, Php, Nodejs) for backend.

You can start with HTML CSS, then move to Javascript, and then React before Angular for frontend development.
For backend, I would say learn JAVAEE with ( Spring/Hibernate) and Nodejs. But if you are already proficient in Javascript, then perfect your backend skills with Nodejs and learn other frameworks to it.
All in all, programming is not all about what language you are proficient in, it is about how to analyse and solve problems. Your architecture and logic implementations are what makes you a good developer. This is where a good knowledge of data structures and algorithm come into play.

See just stay focus and forget all this IT hype, learn German and follow your passion. If you jump ship because people are saying so,hmm. The grass is not always green on the other side.

The last part is so true. I just think people should stick to one programming language at a time. I'm currently learning java in Studienkolleg (almost done) but it's not easy to be honest.

The main thing about learning a programming language is to be able to create something with it afterwards.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by NeonDee(m): 12:45am On May 17, 2019
MarkGud:
Elders in Germany, what is/are your opinion on my MSc choice of course; Materials Science. I need to know the job opportunities after studies and if it is one of those highly sought after courses in Germany. Make son of man no go knack head for wall and start opening threads after studies.
I'm really interested in the answer to this question too.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by sassy92(f): 9:30am On May 17, 2019
As in ehn heybaby12 deserves an award, she's been so helpful!! Don't worry girl, I'll bring you plenty egusi when I come to DE grin grin grin

badmus306:

And heybaby12 too, those guys find time for us.. Honestly Dem try.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by willy2000(m): 11:07am On May 17, 2019
Godsgracee:

You should search online and get the number/email of the foreigners' office where your school is located and enquire.
Exam registration is commencing next week and 4weeks into lectures. Hmm that is a lot of work for you.
If I were in your shoes and it is possible to defer the admission, I would do it.
But since you are already enrolled it kind of make your situation complicated.

Fabcol:
I would Also what to know how these cities are in terms of student jobs and which is preferable
Siegen
Paderborn
Bayreuth

Cc
dobeespen , willy2000 , pompido , themaestro08 and any other who have an idea or is in any of the city, please.

Siegen and Paderborn I know via Map. So, i have no idea what is obtainable over there.
As for Bayreuth, it was the first city I visited on my arrival. It is a nice place, with a beautiful campus ( The only school in Bayern with a normal campus setting). If you want to study and learn(no side hustle), this is the place, accommodation is cheap and scarce here compared to some other cities.
The number of Nigerian Students is encouraging, this means you are not alone should you have questions or issues.
But if your goal is to work and make good cash during study, then make sure your German skills are top notch. The city is actually isolated and far from the bigger cities around which makes it inconvenient to work during semesters outside the city.

MarkGud:

Like someone pointed out. All courses are marketable and lucrative, it all depends on how you go about selling your self to prospective employers.
If you wish to study a course which makes you interact much with customers, then you have to brush up your language skills, because you will be competing with native speakers and other European citizens. If it is more technical, then you also have to acquire and sharpen your technical skills. At the end of the day, there is actually no short cuts.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by heybaby12(f): 3:00pm On May 17, 2019
sassy92:
As in ehn heybaby12 deserves an award, she's been so helpful!! Don't worry girl, I'll bring you plenty egusi when I come to DE grin grin grin

Ogbono.
Thanks grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Goztino(m): 3:10pm On May 17, 2019
janettee:

The last part is so true. I just think people should stick to one programming language at a time. I'm currently learning java in Studienkolleg (almost done) but it's not easy to be honest.

The main thing about learning a programming language is to be able to create something with it afterwards.

After some research which I am still doing, I think I will go with networking skills and certifications when I come to Deutschland
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by sassy92(f): 3:12pm On May 17, 2019
Seriously girl, you're really trying. I've wanted to pm you several times but i'm always like, let me not disturb this girl, she has done enough. God bless you for all your help.
please o, can you share tips for ladies? Like fashion, food, social life *coughs* men, and all? Thanks!

heybaby12:

Ogbono.
Thanks grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by badmus306(m): 3:32pm On May 17, 2019
sassy92:
Seriously girl, you're really trying. I've wanted to pm you several times but i'm always like, let me not disturb this girl, she has done enough. God bless you for all your help.
please o, can you share tips for ladies? Like fashion, food, social life *coughs* men, and all? Thanks!

wink wink
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by heybaby12(f): 3:54pm On May 17, 2019
sassy92:

grin grin grin fashion. I carry last for that department oh.
As for food I have been very open but more of Nigerian food helps me save.
Social life. Even as the school hard try to mix. campus parties are a good meeting point. Depends on where your school is sha and the kind of things you looking for. As for the men it depends on your preference.
It's not been a bad story personally.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Armstrong34(m): 8:08pm On May 17, 2019
pls is it a must that one must have or know somebody in Germany before travelling to Germany to help and aid him knowing the environment well

if no...please what are the safety measures for someone who doesn't know or have anybody to put in place or check before travelling to Germany??

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (118) (Reply)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.