Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,844 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:09 AM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (437962 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Moobahrak(m): 1:48pm On Jun 17, 2019
pringles212:
I would like to make an inquiry about Bayreuth and Bremen. Which is better in terms of student jobs and accommodation

Someone should please reply this
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Moobahrak(m): 1:52pm On Jun 17, 2019
pompido:

Building construction and architecture is a very lucrative specialty here, the only clause is that you take your german language serious if you want job offers to be chasing you.

All my guys in this field are working now though their german language isn't that great but at least they can communicate (B1 level).

So pursue it!
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Metronimos: 5:03pm On Jun 17, 2019
Raheembisi:
Hello,
Please i applied for studierendenwerk apartment in the city i got admitted to. But i don't know if all the rent is to be paid at once or monthly.

It'd be monthly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Metronimos: 5:04pm On Jun 17, 2019
Moobahrak:

Boss,I studied political science for my BSC but I'm looking for possible courses I can do for my MSC that would increase my chances of getting a job after my studies,I'm currently learning German at A1 level and I hope to make B1 at least before coming, also do schools accept notarized documents from high court or its mandatory to do it at the embassy,cause I'm not based in Lagos,your prompt response would be greatly appreciated,Danke.

Your enquiries belong to the other thread.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by HighPriest0(m): 7:28pm On Jun 17, 2019
Guys I need info about the city of Jena... Life, jobs, etc. Hadampson, please help a brother out. Do your thing

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2019
HighPriest0:
Guys I need info about the city of Jena... Life, jobs, etc.
Hadampson, please help a brother out.
Do your thing

Boss, i have copied alot of information about Jena from the old threads to this thread.

Try and search for them smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by pompido: 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2019
Moobahrak:

Boss,I studied political science for my BSC but I'm looking for possible courses I can do for my MSC that would increase my chances of getting a job after my studies,I'm currently learning German at A1 level and I hope to make B1 at least before coming, also do schools accept notarized documents from high court or its mandatory to do it at the embassy,cause I'm not based in Lagos,your prompt response would be greatly appreciated,Danke.

You need to be on the main student travel thread to get better details from those that are actually in your shoes or have been in the same scenario.

Nevertheless, I would say that a search on google would have helped you get a start because I did just that and got some results..

masters portal . com / study- options / 268615996 /political - science - germany. ht ml

I particularly like this course at first sighting... Science and Technology Studies - Economies, Governance, Life, M.A. at Goethe University Frankfurt am Main

maybe because I have the technology bias sha grin grin grin

Do the research, it will really help you.

If you have been reading up on the main student page, you would know that notarized docs from High courts are acceptable for application.... wink

Double up, the waka still far.

All the best

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 18, 2019
Kenechill:

I was very shocked when I saw that too. Ordinary 500? Lol people are making a thousand and even more monthly.
Lol

With 20 hours per week as a student? You know you're lying right?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Moobahrak(m): 6:30pm On Jun 18, 2019
pompido:

You need to be on the main student travel thread to get better details from those that are actually in your shoes or have been in the same scenario.

Nevertheless, I would say that a search on google would have helped you get a start because I did just that and got some results..

masters portal . com / study- options / 268615996 /political - science - germany. ht ml thanks a lot

I particularly like this course at first sighting... Science and Technology Studies - Economies, Governance, Life, M.A. at Goethe University Frankfurt am Main

maybe because I have the technology bias sha grin grin grin

Do the research, it will really help you.

If you have been reading up on the main student page, you would know that notarized docs from High courts are acceptable for application.... wink

Double up, the waka still far.

All the best
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by chocboi007: 9:00am On Jun 19, 2019
Hallo Leute,
Please, who knows the best website to search for accommodation in DE.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by pompido: 9:22am On Jun 19, 2019
chocboi007:
Hallo Leute,
Please, who knows the best website to search for accommodation in DE.

start with your school's studentenwerk website

move on to the following....

homecompany
wg-gesucht
immobilienscout24
kalaydo
wohnungsboerse
immonet
live-like-a-german
sublet
housing.justlanded
likibu
hc24
wohnraumkarte
medici-living
studenten-wg

All the best wink

14 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by pringles212(m): 4:25pm On Jun 19, 2019
Hello guys, Please I would like to make an inquiry about Bayreuth and Bremen. Which is better in terms of student jobs and accommodation
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by HighPriest0(m): 8:55pm On Jun 19, 2019
Hadampson:

Boss, i have copied alot of information about Jena from the old threads to this thread.

Try and search for them smiley

Wow... Couldn't find any
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by HighPriest0(m): 8:56pm On Jun 19, 2019
pringles212:
Hello guys, Please I would like to make an inquiry about Bayreuth and Bremen. Which is better in terms of student jobs and accommodation

Bremen Bremen Bremen

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SendAbroad: 11:28pm On Jun 19, 2019
My Gold advice for anyone with less means going to Germany as a student is that before you travel from Nigeria, go and learn the skill of braiding hair or weaving hair.

There is no limit to how much you can charge to offer that service to customers. People will call you for home service, etc if you promote yourself well.

Money from such services do not go through the tax system because it is cash to hand. This skill also gives you additional income as a student.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 11:45pm On Jun 19, 2019
HighPriest0:

Wow... Couldn't find any

Okay... Go to page 39 of this thread and scroll down to the end.. You will see it there smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by chimax1(m): 7:40am On Jun 20, 2019
Really concerned about the feedback am getting from friends in DE about the job situation. A friend has been there since March, no job till now, another since winter 2018, still no job. They have both been vigorously applying. Makes me wonder, is it really all worth it? I know the first aim of going is to study but side hustle is very important too to keep body and soul together.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Fabcol(m): 8:10am On Jun 20, 2019
Pls which city are they in..
chimax1:
Really concerned about the feedback am getting from friends in DE about the job situation. A friend has been there since March, no job till now, another since winter 2018, still no job. They have both been vigorously applying. Makes me wonder, is it really all worth it? I know the first aim of going is to study but side hustle is very important too to keep body and soul together.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by chimax1(m): 8:40am On Jun 20, 2019
Fabcol:
Pls which city are they in..
Aachen and madgeburg,
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Raheembisi: 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2019
Hello, can anyone help with initial cost estimates after getting to germany like for stationaries and room equipments
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Raheembisi: 6:05pm On Jun 20, 2019
Thanks
Metronimos:

It'd be monthly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by chimax1(m): 7:08pm On Jun 20, 2019
Gurus pls help me make a decision. Am choosing a city based on job opportunities. I have to choose between koethen( HS anhalt), Bayreuth (uni Bayreuth), pfarrkirchen (DIT)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Goztino(m): 7:58pm On Jun 20, 2019
chimax1:
Aachen and madgeburg,

Chaiii, this just demoralized me. I am given admission in three universities.

1. RWTH Aachen University
2. University of Bremen
2. Karlsruhe University of Applied sciences.
still expecting from 3 schools

The school I love most is RWTH Aachen university.
Please, I fit get the contact of that your guy in Aachen please?
or give him my contact for us to chat on whatsapp.

I am borrowing some of the money to complete my block account and I really wanna pay it back as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dobeespen: 8:58pm On Jun 20, 2019
SendAbroad:
My Gold advice for anyone with less means going to Germany as a student is that before you travel from Nigeria, go and learn the skill of braiding hair or weaving hair.

There is no limit to how much you can charge to offer that service to customers. People will call you for home service, etc if you promote yourself well.

Money from such services do not go through the tax system because it is cash to hand. This skill also gives you additional income as a student.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dobeespen: 9:00pm On Jun 20, 2019
SendAbroad:

Lol. This advise get as e be oh. Germany isn’t like the UK and US where the cost of hair making is really high. First off, the asylum seekers here are ready to take almost anything to get your hair done as it provides them with extra income. This automatically reduces the price of getting your hair done here.

My friend said she knows someone who does hair for 10/15 euros for braids, while the least amount you’ll pay for getting your hair done in the US is at least 100 bucks. I’m 90 percent sure you won’t see anyone who’s willing to pay that, or even half of that in Germany.

I also thought the same thing when I was coming here and learned to make hair. Ultimately I abandoned that dream and focused to getting normal jobs Biko. Though I would say learning to make my hair has helped me in getting my own hair done. But please don’t come here thinking you’re gonna make mad money getting hair done here.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dobeespen: 9:01pm On Jun 20, 2019
chimax1:

Really all depends on the city you decide to head to. Not all cities are like this. Your chances of getting jobs in bigger cities like Berlin, Munich, and Hamburg and higher than in relatively smaller cities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dobeespen: 9:05pm On Jun 20, 2019
truthsayer009:

With 20 hours per week as a student? You know you're lying right?

It is UNCOMMON but not IMPOSSIBLE.

I know someone who works at Panasonic and earns 16/hr and pays about 300 for rent. So give or take his expenses would be like 500-600/monthly and he gets to save the rest.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 20, 2019
dobeespen:

It is UNCOMMON but not IMPOSSIBLE.

I know someone who works at Panasonic and earns 16/hr and pays about 300 for rent. So give or take his expenses would be like 500-600/monthly and he gets to save the rest.

That person you know, does the income touch down into his Account as deposit?

Because once you do that, the Government knows you earn more than 8Euros & also work more than 20 hours.

So, is he collecting money by hand?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by willy2000(m): 9:16pm On Jun 20, 2019
chimax1:
Gurus pls help me make a decision. Am choosing a city based on job opportunities. I have to choose between koethen( HS anhalt), Bayreuth (uni Bayreuth), pfarrkirchen (DIT)

You guys should try and google the city you are going to... A hint. Any city with less than 100k population, getting a job without German will be difficult.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dobeespen: 8:47am On Jun 21, 2019
truthsayer009:

That person you know, does the income touch down into his Account as deposit?

Because once you do that, the Government knows you earn more than 8Euros & also work more than 20 hours.

So, is he collecting money by hand?

Uncle what are you saying? Did you read what I wrote at all? I said he earns €16/hr, and so even if he works 20 hrs/week he can save up to 1k depending on what his expenses look like.

Also, KVR won't come knocking on your door if you earn more than 9k so calm down abeg. What may happen is that you may be asked to pay back the extra money the next year by the Finanzamt and NOT the KVR.

And I've even heard that this can be defended if you can prove that you were in a werkstudent position and not doing menial jobs. So calm down with the "he must be collecting the money by hand" story.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 21, 2019
dobeespen:

Uncle what are you saying? Did you read what I wrote at all? I said he earns €16/hr, and so even if he works 20 hrs/week he can save up to 1k depending on what his expenses look like.

Also, KVR won't come knocking on your door if you earn more than 9k so calm down abeg. What may happen is that you may be asked to pay back the extra money the next year by the Finanzamt and NOT the KVR.

And I've even heard that this can be defended if you can prove that you were in a werkstudent position and not doing menial jobs. So calm down with the "he must be collecting the money by hand" story.

The problem with these stories is, you never see someone online saying "I was working 20 hours per week & making X amount". What you hear is , a friend of mine bla bla bla. This isn't the first time people are coming up with stories please.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (118) (Reply)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Travelling To Canada / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.