Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (441128 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Engrkia(m): 9:42am On Dec 31, 2019
abouzaid:
Good day everyone, please what's the job prospects for someone coming over to Germany to study for a masters degree in Geoinformatics? What can you tell me about university of Muenster? Thanks and remain blessed.
Good day, please were you admitted at Unimunster for summer semester too?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Mgbadike80: 9:13am On Jan 01, 2020
Engrkia:

Good day, please were you admitted at Unimunster for summer semester too?
nope, i want to apply there but while researching about the city, i came along a very disturbing news report about students housing shortage there, you can read about it here https://www.universityworldnews.com/post-mobile.php?story=20171012125813184
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by drnoel: 10:09am On Jan 03, 2020
0yewale:

ON THE INITIAL QUOTED POST

Earning 450 Euro per month should be sufficient to keep you up (Housing - 250, Insurance - 110, Feeding - 90), if you are in normal German cities and not the advanced ones (Berlin, Hamburg,Frankfurt, Munich, Stuttgart etc.) and of course it also depends on preferences e.g someone that will eat out most times cannot live on 90 Euro for a month (anywhere I will say.)

There will be months where you will get those menial jobs and there will be month where you won't get any, it is not a given. Imagine, if you have gone three months without a job (menial or not) and the one that shows up next falls during your exam months .. will you take it and hustle it with exams? or you drop it and hope that you will get another or maybe go five months with a job? Regardless of whether the job is menial or something that has to do with your professional career. E.g I know those that cancelled semester(s) just because they want to go for internship/work, especially if it has to be in another city or state. Don't forget that getting a job is not a given (full time or not, menial or not), you have to seek and earn it (it is easier to say that I will only work full time during the semester break than anything .. smiley ) This is the type of scenario that plays out in reality and why people often say combining study (relatively hard on its own) with work is very hard and as you can guess, people will make different decisions when they are face with similar scenario "as wetin dey pursue us different".

ON YOUR POST

There are jobs everywhere in Germany as much as there are no jobs everywhere... the questions are, are you qualified for the ones that are available (skills: language, previous working experience, ability.) in the area? .
On German women (not sure I have the range on this though.), they are not so different only that we have different culture which means how we generally view things. e.g relationships (work, friendship, romantic etc.) is not the same just like it is different for both Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo. Independent living is a way of life around here whereas in Nigeria it is more of a community living (where you know everyone on your street and they do same..lol.. here, you might not even KNOW people in your flat/building). If you are interested in crossing that bridge, you will need to unlearn, learn and relearn appropriately when the time comes.

In summary:

1. Regardless of whatever anybody will tell you here or somewhere else, how well you are going to enjoy Germany during or after your studies really depends mostly on how fast and well you are able to improve your GERMAN PROFICIENCY. Your previous working or living experience, your abilities and professional skills and also, whatever made you leave Nigeria.

2. The best thing (after God) that can happen to anybody moving to any of the cities directly from Nigeria, is to have and know people you can trust 99.8% on ground who can give and explain the realities to you before concluding on choosing any of the cities. The reason is that, the dynamics (work-type availability, visa renewal requirements, studying in the city, flexibility etc) is not entirely the same for each state/city even though there are similar education standards obtainable everywhere. Trust me, the experience of a Nigerian study in Berlin is not the same as that studying in Wernigorode or Kassel.

3. Whether you have/get No. 2. or not, you still need to adapt every info that you get (even the ones here) to your personal situation. E.g If you are married with kids in Nigeria and you are soaking in advise like that without proper evaluation from someone who is single and they are still sending money from Nigeria.. OYO oo because the fact is, your realities are not 100% the same. We all don't have the same experience, skills and abilities. This might be weird but as you come in, try as much as possible to get in touch with (if any) fellow Nigerians (that you can trust one another) and form a relationship with those that you are sure you have similar objectives or from similar "background". The Nigerian community is still relatively minute in Germany compare to other nationalities (my observation) and also varies from one city to another, and trying to figure out everything, getting all information, all by yourself might just literally kill you.

4. I know it is easy to cast the blame that Nigerians are terrible blah blah blah, poor at accommodating others, always hiding information, selfish etc.. when you sef land and you face the realities on ground ..you can choose to do as it pleases you.. we are all product of our experiences , I can only wish you nothing but that you only have good ones.

5. This might look funny, You cannot do every available menial jobs oo ... forget the 'pseudo' hustling spirit you think you have in Nigeria, menial job here is HARD (physically and mentally).. so please know your limit o, don't come and kill yourself in Deutschland and please again, don't think you can work hard like Germans or other Europeans.. just make sure you are always putting in your best (at least until you properly fit in) and again, PLEASE KNOW YOUR LIMIT.

6. Heheh .. you can't really save your BA o, like you want that 8 or 10k to still remain like that? ...(I am not saying it is impossible o but but... )

chai.. this is getting longer than I wanted ...
Regardless, Germany is a great land, the question is, are you ready for what is about to hit you ?

Bro, your advice was terrible in some places but seem fine in other places. Maybe it is time some Nigerian Germans open a thread about life in Germany as an immigrant. This could help deflect the disparity between studentship and those already living legally in Germany
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by drnoel: 10:14am On Jan 03, 2020
Mgbadike80:
nope, i want to apply there but while researching about the city, i came along a very disturbing news report about students housing shortage there, you can read about it here https://www.universityworldnews.com/post-mobile.php?story=20171012125813184

Yes the shortage is terrible. Many students have to live far and commute in and out. Prices of 1 bedroom apartments skyrocketed. Look for someone on ground to help u secure the apartment before u travel.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by 0yewale(m): 4:45pm On Jan 03, 2020
drnoel:

Bro, your advice was terrible in some places but seem fine in other places. Maybe it is time some Nigerian Germans open a thread about life in Germany as an immigrant. This could help deflect the disparity between studentship and those already living legally in Germany

I think it will really make more sense if you can point out the terrible parts of what I shared, so that others can contribute and everyone can learn (I guess that is the whole point of this platform/thread).

Most of the people contributing here are already in Germany, either studying or done and already working, so I really don't get what you mean as regards the bold.

PS: Done with my study too, now working and all I have shared thus far are based on personal experience which might not be 100% same for everybody.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Mercy95(f): 8:47am On Jan 05, 2020
What other Countries can u visit with your student visa during holidays .. Question for my elder brothers and sisters in DE grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by akinswaggs(m): 10:32am On Jan 05, 2020
Mercy95:
What other Countries can u visit with your student visa during holidays .. Question for my elder brothers and sisters in DE grin grin

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Mercy95(f): 10:50am On Jan 05, 2020
akinswaggs:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

Awesome �
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Mastermindx: 6:56pm On Jan 05, 2020
akinswaggs:

What about Ireland?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Aque(m): 9:26pm On Jan 05, 2020
Mastermindx:

What about Ireland?

You have to apply for visa
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by TemiOwo: 11:44am On Jan 07, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am new here but I have been reading lots of posts on this thread.
Pls biko can you share experiences as regards moving with your child

I am presently applying to TUM for MSc in Health Sciences and I have a toddler that I m taking with me.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IAmPhiL(m): 5:50pm On Jan 07, 2020
Mastermindx:

What about Ireland?
you need a visa
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Zebulun1: 9:20pm On Jan 09, 2020
please i need help I have a bsc in business administration but I want to study for my second degree ( bsc) sports science in germany in English language.i want someone to give me an insight of how possible it's going to be and also want to know if neco is acceptable in any university in germany
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Tegaadogb: 6:00pm On Jan 10, 2020
4realisreal:

Not yet in DE. Hopefully wen I get there this summer I will tell u.
Hey bro, please check your dm.
Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by odimbannamdi(m): 3:20pm On Jan 12, 2020
drnoel:

Someone, out his benevolence, went out of his way to give such detailed posts based on his commendable experience and this is what you have to say??

You condemned his post without giving a single reasonable counter-argument?

Na wa o. People sef!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by drnoel: 8:47pm On Jan 12, 2020
odimbannamdi:

Someone, out his benevolence, went out of his way to give such detailed posts based on his commendable experience and this is what you have to say??

You condemned his post without giving a single reasonable counter-argument?

Na wa o. People sef!

Imagine this man? Some people flabbergast me....

If u are so knowledgeable of the topic in question? Why don't u add Ur counter argument?
There was no outright condemnation of his opinion, I just gave my own opinions of the topic in question. I don't have to give a counter argument, there is no mandation on my part to give one.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by odimbannamdi(m): 10:09pm On Jan 12, 2020
drnoel:

Imagine this man? Some people flabbergast me....

If u are so knowledgeable of the topic in question? Why don't u add Ur counter argument?
There was no outright condemnation of his opinion, I just gave my own opinions of the topic in question. I don't have to give a counter argument, there is no mandation on my part to give one.

Bros, i never said i am experientially knowledgeable in this endeavour. I am just an applicant and the little knowledge i have is based on research and direct experiences from people like him on here.

Yes, you did condemn his post. Go back and read what you wrote. You said he did terrible in some part of his post, while the others "seem" fine. That can as well mean, his post doesnt make sense at all, according to you.

And the moment you condemned his posts, you made us wary and obligated yourself to at least point out the errors in his post (not even to correct them) so that we will get better informed.

Is that too much to ask?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by CalebCC: 10:51am On Jan 13, 2020
Is neco accepted by German schools?? Really need answer on this
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Goztino(m): 6:01pm On Jan 13, 2020
0yewale:

I think it will really make more sense if you can point out the terrible parts of what I shared, so that others can contribute and everyone can learn (I guess that is the whole point of this platform/thread).

Most of the people contributing here are already in Germany, either studying or done and already working, so I really don't get what you mean as regards the bold.

PS: Done with my study too, now working and all I have shared thus far are based on personal experience which might not be 100% same for everybody.

Don't be discouraged by the comment. You are really doing a nice job

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by bamdexfarms(m): 12:08am On Jan 14, 2020
CalebCC:
Is neco accepted by German schools?? Really need answer on this

Yes, I used NECO

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Ope4Christ: 1:47am On Jan 14, 2020
https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/visa/kinds-of-visa/work/skilled-immigration-act/&hl=en-ZA

Opportunities for foreigners in Germany will come to effect from 1st of March 2020. Tell all those who are interested to maximize it. It is not limited to University degree students alone but professionals in vocational training with SSCE as well.

So many positive changes which brighten the chances of Non-EU foreigners. Go through the website and get vital information that you can maximize.

Good luck to us all.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Justarandomguy: 12:43pm On Jan 14, 2020
Goztino:
This thread is indeed very powerful.
I will likely take a semester break next semester and focus on learning Deutsch to B1 level within 6 months from A1 level I am now.
I need the language like crazy now.
I have already seen the school and it will cost me 500 Euros.
Then in addition, I will like to learn Python programming (data analysis which is needed in my field later) but I don't really know how to start since I don't have any damn programming skills apart from the C++ boring course we did in my BSc level where the lecturer was writing codes on the board grin
bro let's hook up. We share the same mind
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by drnoel: 3:49pm On Jan 14, 2020
odimbannamdi:

Bros, i never said i am experientially knowledgeable in this endeavour. I am just an applicant and the little knowledge i have is based on research and direct experiences from people like him on here.

Yes, you did condemn his post. Go back and read what you wrote. You said he did terrible in some part of his post, while the others "seem" fine. That can as well mean, his post doesnt make sense at all, according to you.

And the moment you condemned his posts, you made us wary and obligated yourself to at least point out the errors in his post (not even to correct them) so that we will get better informed.

Is that too much to ask?

Well am no novice on the topic in question. He stressed his major points on the students aspects of living and working in Germany. That is what I meant by he being wrong on some aspects cos I know many Nigerians already citizenship with good jobs in Germany. These people will give u another scenery of the discussion.
I also know a few Nigerian students living in Germany and what they say fits to the picture the OP painted.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Basalt(m): 4:59am On Jan 15, 2020
drnoel:

Well am no novice on the topic in question. He stressed his major points on the students aspects of living and working in Germany. That is what I meant by he being wrong on some aspects cos I know many Nigerians already citizenship with good jobs in Germany. These people will give u another scenery of the discussion.
I also know a few Nigerian students living in Germany and what they say fits to the picture the OP painted.

You are indeed very annoying honestly.
With all these series of posts, you are yet to pinpoint any area where he is wrong and then correct it with what you think is right. People like you are the reason why most people don't comment here again.
Please this thread is for information purposes. Hit the nail on the head and stop beating around the bush
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Basalt(m): 5:18am On Jan 15, 2020
I have to say this important thing and I beg you to pay attention to it to avoid stories that touch the heart.

Everybody is specially created by God. Some are gifted in analysis and they will do very well in any course that has to do with analysis and logic, some are gifted in calculation and usually do well in courses that have to do with calculations.

Why am I saying this?

Before you change your course to any other course, check yourself very well. If you are not good at Maths, then think twice before changing to Engineering field, computer science, informatics, etc otherwise you will likely not graduate.
Getting admission is one thing, its always easier to get admission but finishing the course is another thing.

From my research, most people that fail to graduate in Information technology and engineering fail because of series of Mathematics attached to those courses.
Those already in Germany will agree with me that Germany too dey overdo in everything they do. Quality is their watchword and you must be ready to do things well to be certified here.
So it's better you choose the course you know very well you can do and do very well.

I have seen those who abandoned their MSc programs and started afresh in another course because of the high demand for that particular course in Germany, only to get stuck because of esoteric Mathematics too difficult for him and by then he has already dematriculated from the department that originally gave him admission thereby making him float like a planktonic foraminifera.
I repeat, if you are not good at Maths, stay away from Math oriented courses in Germany.

For those that wanna go into information technology, you must not have a computer science degree. You can learn coding in Bootcamp or online. Create projects with that language or go for an internship. Nogo chook your head for new department wey go use Maths frustrate you.
Computer science in Universities are usually theoretical and Mathematical with some basic programming.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by drnoel: 7:01am On Jan 15, 2020
Basalt:

You are indeed very annoying honestly.
With all these series of posts, you are yet to pinpoint any area where he is wrong and then correct it with what you think is right. People like you are the reason why most people don't comment here again.
Please this thread is for information purposes. Hit the nail on the head and stop beating around the bush

Sorry if I didn't give u the answer u seek. Cheers!
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Basalt(m): 7:05am On Jan 15, 2020
drnoel:

Sorry if I didn't give u the answer u seek. Cheers!

The last thing I will do in this world is to seek answers from someone who is not straightforward.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by drnoel: 12:46pm On Jan 15, 2020
Basalt:

The last thing I will do in this world is to seek answers from someone who is not straightforward.

By right I don't normally reply insults but am at fault for even commenting on the previous topic.
Just move on and act like I didn't write anything before now. There are ways to get information from others, going directly for the jugular is not one of them. As it is, I won't share my limited opinion and do apologize if my comments brought the devil in u out.
If u understand my rhetorics then pls move on. I won't be commenting on this issue again. Cheers!
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Goztino(m): 3:55pm On Jan 15, 2020
[..
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by championtales: 6:02pm On Jan 15, 2020
Greetings to you all,
Please is anyone or you know someone studying Water Science and Engineering at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology? I will need the person's help as regards the interview and to know more about the city.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 8:34pm On Jan 15, 2020
drnoel:

Sorry to say your opinion is not constructive in any way; you just tagged his advice "terrible" while you brought nothing to the table... Take your time to go through most of his previous "lengthy" post you would see he his somebody that has a heart to give direction to others based on his experience and journey so far. I am of the opinion that you just wanted to "register" your handle here with a post and leave. I will listen to somebody like him any day.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 9:35pm On Jan 15, 2020
Basalt:
I have to say this important thing and I beg you to pay attention to it to avoid stories that touch the heart.

Everybody is specially created by God. Some are gifted in analysis and they will do very well in any course that has to do with analysis and logic, some are gifted in calculation and usually do well in courses that have to do with calculations.

Why am I saying this?

Before you change your course to any other course, check yourself very well. If you are not good at Maths, then think twice before changing to Engineering field, computer science, informatics, etc otherwise you will likely not graduate.
Getting admission is one thing, its always easier to get admission but finishing the course is another thing.

From my research, most people that fail to graduate in Information technology and engineering fail because of series of Mathematics attached to those courses.
Those already in Germany will agree with me that Germany too dey overdo in everything they do. Quality is their watchword and you must be ready to do things well to be certified here.
So it's better you choose the course you know very well you can do and do very well.

I have seen those who abandoned their MSc programs and started afresh in another course because of the high demand for that particular course in Germany, only to get stuck because of esoteric Mathematics too difficult for him and by then he has already dematriculated from the department that originally gave him admission thereby making him float like a planktonic foraminifera.
I repeat, if you are not good at Maths, stay away from Math oriented courses in Germany.

For those that wanna go into information technology, you must not have a computer science degree. You can learn coding in Bootcamp or online. Create projects with that language or go for an internship. Nogo chook your head for new department wey go use Maths frustrate you.
Computer science in Universities are usually theoretical and Mathematical with some basic programming.

Co-sign. Their mathematics is on another level but with hardwork it's doable. Don't just underrate the mathematics.

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (118) (Reply)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / Travelling To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.