Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,038 members, 7,799,520 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (98) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (440060 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by MIebi911: 8:28am On Feb 19, 2020
@SOLARPOWER01

Hi, i was going through the message trail and please i need your advice. I'm going for Msc in Cyber security at BTU Cottbus and my other option is Communication systems and networks at TH Koln. My issue is that my Bsc is in Quantity Surveying which is not IT related but over the years, I've worked as a network engineer and i plan on writing CCNA professional certification exam. I want to start applying before it gets too late but my fear is that i won't get the admission. What do i do?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by MIebi911: 4:45pm On Feb 19, 2020
Hi, i was going through the message trail and please i need your advice. I'm going for Msc in Cyber security at BTU Cottbus and my other option is Communication systems and networks at TH Koln. My issue is that my Bsc is in Quantity Surveying which is not IT related but over the years, I've worked as a network engineer and i plan on writing CCNA professional certification exam. I want to start applying before it gets too late but my fear is that i won't get the admission. What do i do?

Hi
0yewale:

The 'automatically' here means, you are eligible for the exemption 'without any story' not that you are excluded or if you want to continue with statutory providers, they will reject you.
Just go to the nearest AOK office and ask for the exemption letter. You might have to provide document(s) to show that you are over 30 or whatever document(s) they ask for nowadays.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by 0yewale(m): 6:25pm On Feb 20, 2020
MIebi911:

Hi

Regardless of your work experience, those two (Quantity Surveying and Cyber Security/Communication Systems) are too far apart in my opinion and might be impossible to get such MSc admission. However, we are in the era of Industry 4.0 which is a huge theme in Germany, so if you search more, you might just be lucky to get other closely related courses to your BSc (but definitely not those two you mentioned).

Since I am not an admission officer, the most reliable source of truth on such will be the regulation document for the course (should be available online). If you manage to get the document, it will mostly likely be in Deutsch and might be too much and technical for you to even comprehend (assuming you even understand German) ---so dead end.

Conclusion.
Your path looks unique, which might made it a bit hard for people here to offer any form of guide.
Your best bet, get the contact of the admission/course coordinator from the corresponding website and send them all your questions with succinct details about your profile. Whatever the response you get (if you get any) from them is your truth.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 10:29am On Feb 21, 2020
For students in TH Koln. When you paid your semester fee, did the bank "sparkasse" deduct extra 20euros as charges. My friend that paid from DE said his friend had to pay extra 20euros

I want to pay from Nigeria using form A, I am thinking whether I should add that extra 20euros to the total amount.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Mgbadike80: 1:26pm On Feb 22, 2020
0yewale:

Regardless of your work experience, those two (Quantity Surveying and Cyber Security/Communication Systems) are too far apart in my opinion and might be impossible to get such MSc admission. However, we are in the era of Industry 4.0 which is a huge theme in Germany, so if you search more, you might just be lucky to get other closely related courses to your BSc (but definitely not those two you mentioned).

Since I am not an admission officer, the most reliable source of truth on such will be the regulation document for the course (should be available online). If you manage to get the document, it will mostly likely be in Deutsch and might be too much and technical for you to even comprehend (assuming you even understand German) ---so dead end.

Conclusion.
Your path looks unique, which might made it a bit hard for people here to offer any form of guide.
Your best bet, get the contact of the admission/course coordinator from the corresponding website and send them all your questions with succinct details about your profile. Whatever the response you get (if you get any) from them is your truth.

please, how is the job market for geo informatics in Germany? i intend to pursue a master's degree in it at the university of muenster.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by justine94(m): 10:07pm On Feb 22, 2020
Please am new to this thread and I need serious suggestions and help..I graduated 2015 with 2.67 cgpa in Accounting..though my parents had financial constraints when I got admission which affected my academic performance due to fact I had to no hostel accommodation money for handout..most cases I missed many of exams during my first year and second year due to this constraints..it was in my 3yr I started picking up the pieces but I could not strengthen my cgpa again because u strengthen your cgpa as early in yr1 and yr2..but that's by the way..I served late 2016 to 2017 at an audit firm..started work with an automobile company as a service engineer on July 2018 due to inability to get good placed interview with firms that are inclined with my field of study..due to my 2.2 result..because most firms ask for 2.1..which really pains me till now ..have been working there since then ..and I have actually learnt alot from the job in terms of engineering and machinery dynamics..which I feel is not a waste .but I still want to further more with what I studied in the university. Am currently still doing my ICAN exams..so am planning on applying for an msc in germany in economics or any business and finance related course..but my cgpa after been coverted to german scale is 2.74..which is above the the 2.5 scale..and this is giving me huge concerns and fear...should I reapply for another bachelors degree in perhaps economics I clocked 26 last week..I dont know what to do now..I need help on what I should do ..thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Acuna91: 2:09pm On Feb 23, 2020
Rickywowoz:
Hello my fellow nairalanders,i have seen threads like this for USA,UK,Australia etc bt none for germany..so my brothers and sisters over there pls come in and share how life in germany as a student looks like so that it will help aspiring students make their choice..
Please who know how how to use uni assist very well?
I am trying to apply for VPD through my assist on uni assist portal but I can't find my University amongst the list. The university is Hamburg university of applied science. Please anybody with a good info should help. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Acuna91: 2:09pm On Feb 23, 2020
I am trying to apply for VPD through my assist on uni assist portal but I can't find my University amongst the list. The university is Hamburg university of applied science. Please anybody with a good info should help. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Acuna91: 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2020
0yewale:

Conclusion.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Acuna91: 2:12pm On Feb 23, 2020
Goztino:

(Nmax - Nattained/Nmax - Nlowest) x 3 +1.

Where

Nmax = Highest possible GPA to get (5 for university and 4 for polytechnic)

Nattained = The GPA you graduated with

Nlowest = Lowest possible GPA for a pass (usually 1)

I am sure, you can now use your simple Mathematical skill to do the computation by yourself using your own personal GPA as Nattained

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Goztino(m): 7:51am On Feb 24, 2020
Acuna91:

You are just spamming this thread

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by justine94(m): 10:40am On Feb 24, 2020
justine94:
Please am new to this thread and I need serious suggestions and help..I graduated 2015 with 2.67 cgpa in Accounting..though my parents had financial constraints when I got admission which affected my academic performance due to fact I had to no hostel accommodation money for handout..most cases I missed many of exams during my first year and second year due to this constraints..it was in my 3yr I started picking up the pieces but I could not strengthen my cgpa again because u strengthen your cgpa as early in yr1 and yr2..but that's by the way..I served late 2016 to 2017 at an audit firm..started work with an automobile company as a service engineer on July 2018 due to inability to get good placed interview with firms that are inclined with my field of study..due to my 2.2 result..because most firms ask for 2.1..which really pains me till now ..have been working there since then ..and I have actually learnt alot from the job in terms of engineering and machinery dynamics..which I feel is not a waste .but I still want to further more with what I studied in the university. Am currently still doing my ICAN exams..so am planning on applying for an msc in germany in economics or any business and finance related course..but my cgpa after been coverted to german scale is 2.74..which is above the the 2.5 scale..and this is giving me huge concerns and fear...should I reapply for another bachelors degree in perhaps economics I clocked 26 last week..I dont know what to do now..I need help on what I should do ..thanks
please guys I need your suggestions and opinions on this
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by segzysexy(m): 3:45pm On Feb 24, 2020
Gurus in the house please shed more light to this question. As a DAAD EPOS scholar are you expected to come back home after completion of the program or will be granted 18 months post graduation visa to stay back to seek for professional employment?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Ope4Christ: 6:57pm On Feb 24, 2020
segzysexy:
Gurus in the house please shed more light to this question. As a DAAD EPOS scholar are you expected to come back home after completion of the program or will be granted 18 months post graduation visa to stay back to seek for professional employment?

It is clearly stated that you MUST RETURN TO YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN. That's the purpose of the scholarship program.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by segzysexy(m): 8:52pm On Feb 24, 2020
Ope4Christ:

It is clearly stated that you MUST RETURN TO YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN. That's the purpose of the scholarship program.
Thanks for the clarification.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by lordrayne(m): 4:33am On Feb 26, 2020
SamThumer:
Hi all,

For studying in Germany, I suggest to get in touch with the University's faculty's student associations directly. They provide better responses that if you'd contact the generic university pages.

FYI, I am from Gambia and currently working for a local German employment company: https://universalhires.com/solutions/employer-of-record-eor-peo-germany/. We currently look for interns in our Berlin office to assist with BD for German companies going to Africa.

If you have any questions on getting started in Germany as a student, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help!

Best,
Sam

I sent an email
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by MeezPat(f): 11:00pm On Feb 26, 2020
IAmPhiL:
My post that I promised to share here was retracted twice by only God knows who.

I guess I won't be able to share it after all
hi Phil.....would send a pm
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 5:22pm On Feb 28, 2020
[quote author=Hadampson post=78050245][/quote]

Can one get a €500 monthly student menial job (without knowledge of German)??

Also pls, how true is it that one would be needing another €10k for visa renewal after the first year?

Pls Sir, help me confirm these infos. Thanks ��
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 5:27pm On Feb 28, 2020
Hello house...pls how true is this new information that students are expected to provide another 10k BA for visa renewal??

Pls who has any idea on this? Pls ������

Thanks House.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by 0yewale(m): 7:13pm On Feb 28, 2020
Victorex001:
Hello house...pls how true is this new information that students are expected to provide another 10k BA for visa renewal??

Pls who has any idea on this? Pls ������

Thanks House.

The last time I checked, this depends on where you are studying. There are states/cities that have that as part of their requirements for renewal after the first year, there are some that do not, so it is nothing new unless there is now a new federal law that makes it mandatory for all the states to follow same requirement.

I have heard of other states that gives straight three-years (with or without conditions).
Your best bet is to talk to any Nigerian currently in the school you are or going (if you can get any) or contact your school foreign student office or check the website of your corresponding foreign office. Normally, this should be stated in your admission/enrollment guideline.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 1:30pm On Feb 29, 2020
0yewale:

The last time I checked, this depends on where you are studying. There are states/cities that have that as part of their requirements for renewal after the first year, there are some that do not, so it is nothing new unless there is now a new federal law that makes it mandatory for all the states to follow same requirement.

I have heard of other states that gives straight three-years (with or without conditions).
Your best bet is to talk to any Nigerian currently in the school you are or going (if you can get any) or contact your school foreign student office or check the website of your corresponding foreign office. Normally, this should be stated in your admission/enrollment guideline.

Alright. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 6:30am On Mar 01, 2020
Hello house,

I graduated with a Hnd, Mechanical Engineering, and I also completed a one year top up program with the university of South Africa(Industrial/Mechanical Engineering). I did the top up, due to the Hnd/Bsc dichotomy. It has always been my aim to go for my masters in the U.S, but we all know how expensive it is to do so. I am considering the option of going for my masters in Germany, as it is quite cheap to do so. But then, I see lots of people on this thread with a Bsc degree traveling to Germany to attain yet another Bsc degree, and it makes no sense to me. Is it that the schools don't grant admissions for Msc studies?

I spent almost a million on the top up program I did, and it would make no sense traveling to Germany to attain yet another Bacclaurete. What are my chances of getting admitted for a masters with my Hnd and Btech(one year top up program)?

By the way, I would love to go for Energy Systems Engineering.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Predstan: 7:03am On Mar 01, 2020
Illuminated993:
Hello house,

I graduated with a Hnd, Mechanical Engineering, and I also completed a one year top up program with the university of South Africa(Industrial/Mechanical Engineering). I did the top up, due to the Hnd/Bsc dichotomy. It has always been my aim to go for my masters in the U.S, but we all know how expensive it is to do so. I am considering the option of going for my masters in Germany, as it is quite cheap to do so. But then, I see lots of people on this thread with a Bsc degree traveling to Germany to attain yet another Bsc degree, and it makes no sense to me. Is it that the schools don't grant admissions for Msc studies?

I spent almost a million on the top up program I did, and it would make no sense traveling to Germany to attain yet another Bacclaurete. What are my chances of getting admitted for a masters with my Hnd and Btech(one year top up program)?

Your HND only qualifies you for Bsc 1st year in Germany. If you search more for information, you will be able to do your masters in the US. Just evaluate your HND with WES. Write the GRE, apply for scholarship and Assistantships and you are good to go. Another country to look at is France, since you have a top up degree, you qualify for a Masters and it's cheap. But with your Engineering degree, I'm sure you will be able to secure scholarships in the USA

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 10:13am On Mar 01, 2020
Illuminated993:
Hello house,

You are already qualified for a masters degree in Germany... People that go for a second Bsc have their numerous reasons...Some graduated with not too good grade while others are trying to make a career change....
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dooch(m): 3:39pm On Mar 01, 2020
Acuna91:

It's there. Take your time and search, you will see it. Search for the German name of the school
"Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg"
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Acuna91: 3:59am On Mar 02, 2020
dooch:

It's there. Take your time and search, you will see it. Search for the German name of the school
"Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg"
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by drnoel: 2:30pm On Mar 02, 2020
geezy3:
good morning all, I had a convo with my brother that's in Germany, he said he was granted asylum and told them he wanted to do his masters and he had a second class lower and after his masters, he got a job, can anyone back up his story or who has plied that route.

Can't back up the story directly. Didn't have such experience but know close friends who went thru that route. It's not the best of routes to use, cos of headaches and heartaches. Come the legal means as a student and have Ur peace.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by drnoel: 2:32pm On Mar 02, 2020
segzysexy:
anyone in frankfurt, Darmstadt to be precise? I will be coming down by August.

There is a large Nigerian community in Frankfurt but many people prefer keeping to themselves. Still, u will find if u look. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Destinyleads(f): 12:11pm On Mar 03, 2020
Hello everyone, thank you for keeping this thread alive and up-to date. Please I need help . Can HND with cgpa 2.98 (lower credit ) be accepted for masters in German schools?

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (118) (Reply)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Travelling To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.