Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,370 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:20 PM

Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture (729 Views)

Islamic Lecture: Mufti Menk In Lagos / Report On Comparative Lecture Held In Akure (Akure For Islam) By ACADIP / "Life Through Trials And Tribulations"-an Islamic Lecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by ParisLove1: 2:56am On Jul 07, 2013
A British TV channel has been fined £105,000 after it aired a live lecture byan Islamic scholar who allegedly advocated killing people who insult the prophet Muhammad.
Manchester-based station DM Digital, which describes itself as Britain's most-watched Asian channel, broadcast the one-hour programme in Urdu in October 2011.
The Islamic scholar can be heard telling his audience: "I hail those who made this law [Pakistan's blasphemy law] which states that one who insults the Prophet deserves to be killed – such a person should be eliminated."
Ofcom's English-language translation of his lecture suggest he also told viewers: "If someone takes a step in the love of the Prophet, then this is not terrorism."

On Friday, the media regulator said it had fined DM Digital £85,000 for airing the scholar's remarks and a further £20,000 for a separate programme. The channel has also been ordered to broadcast a statement by Ofcom.
Ofcom said: "The programme Rehmatul Lil Alameen featured a live lecture by an Islamic scholar, which included material that Ofcom considered was likely to encourage or incite the commission of crime or to lead to disorder.
"This was because, on a reasonable interpretation of the scholar's remarks, Ofcom considered he was advocating that all Muslims had a duty to attack or kill apostates or those perceived to have insulted the Prophet."
DM Digital last May became the first UK broadcaster censured by Ofcomfor airing material "likely to encourage orincite the commission of crime or to lead to disorder".
http://guardiannews.com/media/2013/jul/05/dm-digital-fined-ofcom
Re: Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 07, 2013
all these mad and intolerant people. they have bastardized Islam. while i am not saying that the abuse of the prophet [sa] or any religious figure for that matter is fair game, the prophet [sa] however was insulted in his lifetime. he did not hurt anyone for that reason. proof;; Ali bin Abitalib [ra] took a page from his [sa] example by letting the man who spat in his face lived even on the field of battle in a war between Muslims and disbelievers. it is the logical meekness of the muslims, especially of the prophet [sa] was one of the human experiences that brought people in drove into Islam.
Re: Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by pointblank321: 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2013
RoyPCain: all these mad and intolerant people. they have bastardized Islam. while i am not saying that the abuse of the prophet [sa] or any religious figure for that matter is fair game, the prophet [sa] however was insulted in his lifetime. he did not hurt anyone for that reason. proof;; Ali bin Abitalib [ra] took a page from his [sa] example by letting the man who spat in his face lived even on the field of battle in a war between Muslims and disbelievers. it is the logical meekness of the muslims, especially of the prophet [sa] was one of the human experiences that brought people in drove into Islam.

It appears you are a refined muslim. Even this section of nairaland cannot tolerate any insult of the prophet, which he according to you he did tolerate in his own lifetime. Who are today's muslims copying?

But wait a minute, what do they consider an abuse to the prophet? Saying what he did or what he didn't.

1 Like

Re: Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by ParisLove1: 12:09pm On Jul 08, 2013
RoyPCain: all these mad and intolerant people. they have bastardized Islam. while i am not saying that the abuse of the prophet [sa] or any religious figure for that matter is fair game, the prophet [sa] however was insulted in his lifetime. he did not hurt anyone for that reason. proof;; Ali bin Abitalib [ra] took a page from his [sa] example by letting the man who spat in his face lived even on the field of battle in a war between Muslims and disbelievers. it is the logical meekness of the muslims, especially of the prophet [sa] was one of the human experiences that brought people in drove into Islam.

What are you saying? All Muhammad's critics during his time were killed with his blessing and support.
Re: Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 08, 2013
@pointblank 321; abuse is when they lie against him [sa], by distortion, not telling the whole truth, making up stuffs, etc. you wanna criticize dont lie. lying is abuse in this case.

@Paris Love; Muhammad [sa] did not kill his critics. but the critics committed other offenses which they lost their lives for because of the weight of Justice was exerted.

a person who insulted a just leader will not have any problem committing heinous crime against any citizenry. so if he is punished for the crime against the citizenry somebody my erroneously advance the criminal was punished for mere criticism of the leader, forgetting the real crime he was duly punished.

if you have evident to the contrary, please present it.

i tender my first exhibit in support of my statement;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFqwp1bs5Dw
Re: Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by pointblank321: 1:39pm On Jul 08, 2013
RoyPCain: @pointblank 321; abuse is when they lie against him [sa], by distortion, not telling the whole truth, making up stuffs, etc. you wanna criticize dont lie. lying is abuse in this case.

@Paris Love; Muhammad [sa] did not kill his critics. but the critics committed other offenses which they lost their lives for because of the weight of Justice was exerted.

a person who insulted a just leader will not have any problem committing heinous crime against any citizenry. so if he is punished for the crime against the citizenry somebody my erroneously advance the criminal was punished for mere criticism of the leader, forgetting the real crime he was duly punished.

Not in nairaland. I've seen threads deleted, posts hidden for saying what Muhammad actually did. Moderators felt such are not good for publicity even though he (Muhammad) did them. Would a prophet of God have obscurity?
Re: Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by tosin2013: 2:33pm On Jul 09, 2013
What did he actually do that u said? Most commentators on NL just say things without any understanding of d life of Muhammad (saw) or delibrate halftruths just to prove to muslims y they aren't.

U don't believe in Islam fine. Pls leave those of who do in peace. Yes thers is freedom of expression but ppl also av d responsiblity to avoid saying things to incense others.

No South african will b happy n pat u on d back for insulting Nelson Mandela!
Re: Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by tosin2013: 2:42pm On Jul 09, 2013
U must also remember dat no prophet has had his biography more studied an criticised like Muhammad (saw).

There is almost no issue not analysed even western scholars!

If issues are raised analytically then criticism is welcome. No half truths!
Re: Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by pointblank321: 3:34pm On Jul 09, 2013
tosin2013: U must also remember dat no prophet has had his biography more studied an criticised like Muhammad (saw).

There is almost no issue not analysed even western scholars!

If issues are raised analytically then criticism is welcome. No half truths!

I don't believe there is anything called half truth. It is either the truth or not. But remember, there is no smoke without fire.
Re: Tv Channel Fined In UK For Airing Islamic Lecture by ParisLove1: 11:57pm On Jul 09, 2013
RoyPCain: @pointblank 321; abuse is when they lie against him [sa], by distortion, not telling the whole truth, making up stuffs, etc. you wanna criticize dont lie. lying is abuse in this case.

In your 1st post you claimed your prophet didn't hurt those that criticized him. And now you are telling me they got punished. Which of the two claims am i supposed to believe now?

And if i may ask, what was their crime? How exactly were they punished? Were they given fair trial? Was muhammad the leader of arabia or just a religious leader?

Sorry, i couldn't watch your video.

(1) (Reply)

My Testimony / Sheik Harazumi Dies At 93 / Muslims Right Concern (MURIC) To Buhari: Banning Hijab Is Escapist, Scapegoatism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.