Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? (2594 Views)

7 Values To Teach Our Children To Make Them Grow Into Godly Men And Women / Is It Godly To Pay Brideprice And Dowry? / Is It Godly For A Good Christain To Listen To Secular Muzik. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 11:07am On May 23, 2006
Well it buzzes me to hear that two hiv positive person are getting married, it was last night that I heard on the news that two HIV +ve person are getting married and they being joined by a Priest in the Church of God.

All I want from you all is to post ur views on this topic, Do you really think it Godly?, .
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by mlksbaby(f): 11:24am On May 23, 2006
Could I ask why you might suggest or think it is [b]un[/b]godly?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by kenshin(m): 12:31pm On May 23, 2006
ope_emi:

Well it buzzes me to hear that two hiv positive person are getting married, it was last night that I heard on the news that two HIV +ve person are getting married and they being joined by a Priest in the Church of God.

All I want from you all is to post your views on this topic, Do you really think it Godly?, .

do you think having HIV is a sin?
its a disease not a crime!!!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 1:17pm On May 23, 2006
@mlks_baby
mlks_baby:

Could I ask why you might suggest or think it is [b]un[/b]godly?

Did I post it [b]un[/b]godly?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 1:30pm On May 23, 2006
@kenshin
kenshin:

do you think having HIV is a sin?
its a disease not a crime!!!!! angry angry angry angry

I didn't say its a crime?

Sorry to offend you?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:32pm On May 23, 2006
ope_emi:

All I want from you all is to post your views on this topic, Do you really think it Godly?, .
there's nothing Godly or Ungodly bout two HIV people getting married! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by kenshin(m): 1:36pm On May 23, 2006
I just wanted him to answer his own question, So far the two people involved know what they getting into and they love each other why not?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:37pm On May 23, 2006
U tell them boy, U tell them kiss kiss
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by mlksbaby(f): 1:45pm On May 23, 2006
ope_emi:

@mlks_baby
Did I post it un[/b]godly?

And what's the meaning of your question that -

ope_emi:

[b]Do you really think it Godly?
, .

If you were expecting people to just answer, "Oh, YES - it is GODLY", would that have solved your problem? Okay, let me put it another way that tapers to your question:

"Could I ask why you might suggest or think it is Godly?" Or, as kenshin has suggested, let's read how you answer your own question.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 5:05pm On May 23, 2006
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

All the aspects I thought of was the personnal influences it will post on other people. Ok, now that this has happened, don't you think that people with the HIV virus too won't step out and begin to marry each other, and there by bring out offsprings that are also positive.

All I want to say is that don't u think it will increase the rate of spreading the virus?

As for your question @mlks_baby

I was only asking if it Godly cos of the liable end results. And if you think everybody will take precaution on how to maintain the virus and not spread it, your suggestion might be wrong, cos not everybody is a Literate(Well Educated).
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by layi(m): 7:23pm On May 23, 2006
Obviously there is a problem with the use of english here. godliness, literacy and stuffs are misplaced here. You dont have to be literate to avoid the virus.

First off, An illiterate is some1 who cant read and write not some1 who doesnt know what is happening around.

Personally i don't know what godliness has got to do with hiv status.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by kimba(m): 7:41pm On May 23, 2006
@ope_emi
Forget about the Godliness/UnGodliness in HIV marriages. Having HIV is not a sin. Does one repent from Having HIV? If repentance was a solution, you bet many would have truly repented.

The Bible talks about a man and a woman coming together for marriage. It doesnt give conditions like one has HIV or some other disease. If you are asking about HIV, how about Handicapped people?.

Marriage is about Love and Maturity. Marriage is first for Love, second for Companionship, and third for procreation. Yes, they might have HIV, which might be a result of their past, or totally no fault of theirs. In the case of HIV, if #1&#2 are present, the couple can be advised not to have kids, so as not to bring an innocent child into the world who would live in pain, sickness, regret and later wish not to be born. Medical resources are also available for them to maintain a wonderful sexual life. They can adopt a child to make the family complete.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by Seun(m): 9:25pm On May 23, 2006
Are you suggesting that HIV positive adults should remain unmarried as penance for their 'sin'?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by mlksbaby(f): 9:54pm On May 23, 2006
HIV is not a sin. The handler of the thread hasn't told us why he supposes that two HIV +ve people getting married has to do with Godliness, other than that the story has changed into a concern for how literate they ought to be to qualify for the marriage.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by beyunce(f): 10:07pm On May 23, 2006
Seun:

Are you suggesting that HIV positive adults should remain unmarried as penance for their 'sin'?

Help me ask am oh
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 6:30pm On May 24, 2006
@Seun
Well, I ain't saying its there punishment as to not to get married. All I want to point out is the Health issues if they are getting married to each other.
[list]
[li]Do you know that there different categories of the HIV virus?[/li]
[li]Do you know that they might even cause more harm to themselves when they have sexual intercourse?[/li]
[/list]

All what I want you all to know is that this might still post a threat to people who are uninfected with the virus apart from themselves?

How?
There some people that because of Love and with what they've seen they might want to marry there partner in whom they know are affected by the virus? (in which I know people like that)
Do you think that they should be given a Goaheard in Gods name, all in the name of Love?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by mlksbaby(f): 7:08pm On May 24, 2006
@ope_emi,

It's an easy case to resolve. Do this simply: if you were the minister-in-charge to wed anyone and this couple stood before you in your full knowledge of their case, would you wed them or not? What are your reasons from the Bible for your decision to wed/not wed them in God's name?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 7:21pm On May 24, 2006
@mlks_baby
mlks_baby:

What are your reasons from the Bible for your decision to wed/not wed them in God's name?
Have you heard of, "love your neighbour as yourself."

mlks_baby:

would you wed them or not?
NO
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by mlksbaby(f): 7:25pm On May 24, 2006
@ope_emi,

"No" - why?

ope_emi:

@mlks_babyHave you heard of, "love your neighbour as yourself."
So, loving your neighbour as yourself means that you'd scatter the love between the couple, yes?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 7:34pm On May 24, 2006
@mlks_baby
mlks_baby:

So, loving your neighbour as yourself means that you'd scatter the love between the couple, yes?
NO, the love can stay in there relationship.

Can you please tell me the meaning of LOVE in your context?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by mlksbaby(f): 7:49pm On May 24, 2006
How do you mean "the love can stay in their relationship" and yet you say "NO" to their getting married? Maybe you should define love in your context and then tell us why you feel they should not get married after all you've defined.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by goodguy(m): 8:22pm On May 24, 2006
@Ope:

Why don't you first of all tell us why you think it is ungodly, then we can take up this discussion/debate from there.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by Seun(m): 9:08pm On May 24, 2006
If you are concerned about the risk of reinfection, then of course they can use condoms during sex.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 10:35am On May 25, 2006
@goodguy
goodguy:

Why don't you first of all tell us why you think it is ungodly

It unGodly in the sense that after they get married, the human emotions about marriage will begin to rise in them all about bearing the fruit of the womb, in which case the feelings aren't that easy to control as Love is.
You don't expect that they won't want to have kids of there own even though they adopt, and if this kind of emotion keeps driving in there mind they will be forced to do what they don't want to do.

@seun
Seun:

If you are concerned about the risk of reinfection, then of course they can use condoms during sex.
Don't tell you will want to believe that yourself, or do you think they will be buying condom forever ?

Thats the main reason of my question of seeking your opinion, if you think it is right then say YES and give the other your reason for saying it and NO if you think it ain't right and also give your reason.

I didn't say its UnGodly from my question, did I? I am only asking for your answers and reason to them.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by goodguy(m): 11:07pm On May 25, 2006
@Ope, you still have in no way explained to us the godliness/ungodliness about this issue. All you have stated here is what you think, not whether it is godly or not OR what makes it godly/ungodly

ope_emi:

I didn't say its UnGodly from my question, did I? I am only asking for your answers and reason to them.
But your posts have clearly shown that you think it is ungodly. Or how else do you expect us to interprete your reponse to this question: If you were the minister-in-charge to wed anyone and this couple stood before you in your full knowledge of their case, would you wed them or not?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by GL(f): 3:11am On May 26, 2006
People have a right to get married regardless of their health status. I think, however, that they should be advised to either not have kids (they can adopt) or go through the route that prevents a child born to HIV mother from the virus. I heard a doctor say on tv some years ago that the children born using those drugs had different kinds of defects. If this is still the case, they shouldn't be allowed to have kids - they should be encouraged to adopt.

Actually, I think it is best to encourage marriage btw HIV positive ppl, it's much better than HIV positive and HIV negative marrying. It might help prevent the spread of the virus.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 9:16am On May 26, 2006
@goodguy
The answer to my question was NO, and I explained on explain that
ope_emi:

It unGodly in the sense that after they get married, the human emotions about marriage will begin to rise in them all about bearing the fruit of the womb, in which case the feelings aren't that easy to control as Love is.

What other thing do you what me to say?

Now what your opinion about my answer
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 9:23am On May 26, 2006
Sorry for that Error
ope_emi:

and I explained on explain that

Sorry for that Error grin
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by syrup(f): 9:31am On May 26, 2006
Hello ope_emi,

I've watched this thread with some interest, but you seem to be the only one on the receiving end of all the come-backs. For one, your answers are ambiguous; and several responses have indicated that, even to the extent of asking you to define your terms.

On the other hand, you have failed to establish your point/concern as to the connection with godliness/ungodliness in this issue. Rather, your answers are more informed by personal feelings and nothing to the effect of godliness. Emotions and feelings of love (as you earlier proffered) do not necessarily define godliness - even godless people are very good at expressing themselves emotionally - and when you come to feelings of love, ahh, Hollywood has more things to teach you than you have the capacity to learn.

Now if you're suggesting that you'd try to control their emotion or feelings of love, that is the most ungodly thing anyone can say/suggest. Let them be - if they love each other, thank God for them . . . even God Himself is happier that people seek to unite on the basis of love than any other thing. And the whole world won't stand still because someone feels that HIV +ve people should be controlled because of your concern about whether it is Godly. As far as your replies go, your suggestions have not pointed to anything remotely concerned with the issue being Godly.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by goodguy(m): 11:07pm On May 26, 2006
ope_emi:

@goodguy
The answer to my question was NO, and I explained on explain that

Your explanation has got nothing to do with godliness/ungodliness. It's rather based on your personal opinions/feelings.

I guess you should have asked: "Is it proper for two HIV positive persons to get married?"

The "godly" part you included is really getting you confused.
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by opeemi1(m): 9:56am On May 27, 2006
@goodguy
I think you might be right about that, maybe my topic was a bit forward about the Godly thing, but all still I think you all get what am driving at.

So what do you think?
Re: Is It Godly For Two Hiv Positive Person To Get Married? by goodguy(m): 2:06pm On May 27, 2006
It is very proper for them to get married. They are humans afterall and they deserve that eternal companionship with a partner that most normal people desire.

However, it will only be improper when they decide to bear children. This will not only have an adverse effect on the children alone, who, in the future, may regret ever been born into this world at all, but on the welfare of the nation as a whole [Imagine a country where every HIV positive persons produce children with the same virus. .  that will only make things more complicated for such nation, especially an underdeveloped or a developing one like Nigeria for that matter].

Therefore, I will suggest that, in as much as these HIV victims have every right to get married, they should be totally discouraged from producing offpsrings; by encouraging them to always use contraceptives or any other pregnancy-prevention materials/medications during their intercourse sessions. Betterstill, they should both be made sterile to prevent any kind of excusable 'accidental discharge'.

And if they want children, they should adopt! cool

I therefore conclude by saying: While it is more than proper for HIV positive persons to get married, it is totally improper for them to bear children of their own.

(1) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Pastors Not Scared Of The Wrath Of God / To Those Blaming God For Nepal Quake / Proving The Truthfulness Of IFA Oracle According To The Christian Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.