Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,694 members, 7,805,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker (3049 Views)

Top 5 Most Popular Nigerian Websites By Web Traffic / The Best Nigerian Websites You Have Seen! / The Traffic Rank Of The Most Popular Nigerian Websites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by yawatide(f): 4:05pm On Jul 08, 2013
Wow! the guys who did the site charged N10m? Nna! I need to start looking at stalking the halls of power in Abuja, he he

http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/i-wont-stop-attacking-nigerian-websites-irish-hacker/

An Irish hacker, Paddyhack, who attacked Nigeria’s official website, www.nigeria.gov.ng, says he/she is suspending the crackdown.

Paddyhack had attacked the website last Thursday in protest against the Nigerian government’s anti-gay stance.

The hacker, says the decision is to commiserate with the Nigerian government over the killing of about 40 pupils of Government Secondary School, Mamudo, Yobe State on Saturday.

The hacker who defaced the portal before it came up shortly around mid-night last Thursday, had said in a Twitter post that “a torrent of fury will be unleashed on Nigeria’s government due to the unfair and unjust treatment of homosexuals in their country.”

The hacker had vowed that the defacement of the official web portal was a “first step in a long line of attacks aimed against Nigeria until they back down on their stance on arresting gays in their country for up to 14 years.”

In the campaign themed #OpNigeria, the hacker who claims to be a member of the ‘Anonymous Group’ – the globally renowned hacker-activism group which has successfully hacked into official websites of United States Federal Government agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigations and US Department of Defence, had given President Goodluck Jonathan 72 hours to “renounce and veto this Bill.” The ultimatum was expected to lapse mid-night Sunday.

However, the news of the school attack broke at about 2.pm on Saturday, while the hacker, who uses the Twitter handle, @paddyhack, was having an online interview with our correspondent.

“Just reading about the school shooting by extremists. Truly awful.’’ Two hours after the news broke, the hacker states in a tweet, “#OpNigeria postponed until next week due to the death of 40+ kids by extremists in Nigeria.’’

Responding to subsequent enquiries, the hacker says “deadline called off, I’ll decide when to resume’’ next week. The dissenter added that adequate ‘’warning’’ will be given to the Nigerian government to retrace its steps before resuming the campaign next week.

Paddyhack, who refused to disclose the number of Nigerian websites he had compromised into, claims to have ‘’uncovered corruption’’ in the process.

“I was not expecting to uncover corruption. I’m discussing this with other Anonymous members and I’m trying to fully identify who these people are. I will expose the guilty when the time is right,” Paddyhack explains to our correspondent. In a tweet, the rebel adds, “A lot of emails to sift through.”

While fielding questions from our correspondent, the hacker says though the campaign has been postponed, it will not end ‘’anytime soon’’ if the government refuses to softpedal on its tough stance on gays in the country.

“I operate alone, but as part of Anonymous. I am on anti-hate campaign. Nigeria’s proposal to jail gays is disgusting. I’m not gay, but people shouldn’t be jailed for love. I am protesting the lack of humanity imposed by the Nigerian government. I will disappear if it (anti-gay bill) gets dropped,’’ the hacker adds.

Asked what position he or she occupies in the Anonymous group, and what links he/ she has with the local Nigerian hacking group, NaijaCyberHactivists or any Nigerian gay group, the hacker replies, “There are no leaders or ranks in Anonymous. I am not affiliated with any Nigerian, or any gay group. I don’t know anything about NaijaCyberActivists.’’

However, in a move seen as drawing inspiration from PaddyHack, NaijaCyberActivists has become an august follower of the hacker on Twitter.

Paddyhack has also disagreed with the Federal Government which says it “fought back the attack.’’

The information on the web portal had said, “The Federal Ministry of Information has fought off the attack on Nigeria’s National Portal by a group of gay rights activists.

“The Federal Ministry of Information is taking additional measures to stem future attacks by hackers whose criminal activities are on the increase globally in recent times.

“The attackers were traced to the same group that recently attacked several countries’ government websites across the world claiming to be fighting for gay rights.”

However, Paddyhack in a message in one of his tweets says, “I’ve allowed http://Nigeria.gov.ng to come back to full service for now. Don’t think that I can’t come and go as I please.”

While battling with the website admins, Paddyhack had said, “Having a funny ‘war’ with their admins. They delete the file, I replace it. Hehe!. Do not remove the index.php page again, or I will kill your entire site.”

The hacker also mocked the Federal Government which, according to him, used Joomla, a free and open source content management system, for publishing content on the World Wide for the web portal.

The hacker adds, “How does a crappy Joomla website cost N10 million ($70,000)? What sort of country uses Joomla as their web platform anyway? It’s not even a dedicated server. #corruption.’’

But a handful of Nigerians have come down heavily on Paddyhack, with many of them asking the hacker to provide a safe haven for lesbians, gays, homosexuals and transgenders in his home country.

A Nigerian, Terkura Unongo, tweeting via @iamtkunongo says, “I sympathise with you (Paddyhack) to some extent because you feel the jailing of homosexuals is wrong, but in Africa homosexuality is wrong.

“If you disagree with the anti-gay Law in Nigeria, fine. Offer the homosexuals of Nigeria refuge in your country.”
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by GraphicsPlus(m): 4:34pm On Jul 08, 2013
@Slyr0x, this is your opportunity to become a special adviser and consultant on web security to the Federal Gvernment of Nigeria. Go! You can do it.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by mj(m): 4:40pm On Jul 08, 2013
Am going through the hacker profile, it is time we all wake up and ensure high security measures in websites we develop for clients. But to be sincere with you, 10m, no b small thing oooo. They can't even provide a dedicated server, dts crazy, open source for government? Men those webmaster should be sued, U need to give them a custom solution. Anyway, Federal government, webmaster section of nairaland can do a better job with just half of the price you pay.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by sisqology(m): 5:45pm On Jul 08, 2013
sylrox... I command you to collect 1M from them grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 08, 2013
With Regards to web and security,Joomla has not faired well.

Its highly embarrassing and a national insult to us all.
I hope this does not repeat itself.

That's not to say opensource is not the way forward.

The White House uses Drupal.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by webmpro(m): 6:18pm On Jul 08, 2013
Na wa ooh, 10m for a joomla site? what if they were to develop from scratch that means they would have been paid 50m.

anyway, to the issue of hacking dont we have professional hackers in nigeria who can fight back?

Even if it means hiring hackers for 100m to build a custom and secure portal for the government.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by yawatide(f): 6:57pm On Jul 08, 2013
Joomla isn't the issue, IMHO. I mean, the white house uses Drupal. The issue is that most likely, they didn't implement a key process for a project like this: web security. If they done this during the development phase, then that audit would have more than likely uncovered the hole the hacker exploited.

If I know my people well (and I think I do tongue), an oga at the top got the job for n10m, then paid someone no more than 200K to do it. That person in turn just downloaded the default joomla, got the cheapest shared hosting solution, installed, did his/her job and called it a day. Oga at the top then turned it over to GEJ and went to Dubai (or wherever) with his mistress to enjoy the loot.

If the above scenario is true, then we need to do a top-down audit of all our systems (hosting, ISPs, servers, etc) and processes to ensure it doesn't happen again. I personally consider it an insult that the hacker is (supposedly) not Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 7:17pm On Jul 08, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
Wow! the guys who did the site charged N10m? Nna! I need to start looking at stalking the halls of power in Abuja, he he

I will soon get there too. God help me.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by AyodejiCharles(m): 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2013
Hehehehe Hehehehe... The guy is back already o o o o.
check out the personal page he created for himself on the official website....

Paddy Hack @paddyhack

www. nigeria.gov.ng/paddy.html. <-- a little gift

His twitter handle is written above, all those on twitter, make una tackle that guy abeg,!
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Djtm(m): 3:26am On Jul 09, 2013
10m? Well, like yawatide said, a potbellied agbada wearing man collected the 'contract' and paid a web developer 50k to do the job.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Yinksey(m): 6:40am On Jul 09, 2013
Speechless....padding (sigh)
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by kingthreat(m): 8:09am On Jul 09, 2013
Pls paddyhack, take the whack website down untill a better visually designed site is up
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by yawatide(f): 4:35pm On Jul 09, 2013
Some time last year or so, I rallied volunteers from this board to design a site that could have been handed over to the FG, even for free. I remember being laughed at by those who reviewed the site's design, never mind that I asked for volunteers and had to roll with the resources at hand (naija! Na wa for una o!). Looking back at it, given the rigor put into it, from design to security testing, I dare say it was better than what we had, prior to the hack.

A site is definitely more than the design and getting a cheap host. Hopefully, these guys learn their lesson.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by GraphicsPlus(m): 4:50pm On Jul 09, 2013
@Yawa, I sent an email to Mr. Labaran Maku this morning asking him to give me a go ahead instruction to redesign the website from scratch using custom codes then convert to drupal later.

After redesigning and developing and hosting the website, I wil then go on twitter to challenge paddy. I think he should be told how stup!d he is.

I told Maku that am not ready to collect a dime from FGN. All I want to do is to prove to this naughty guy that what he knows that there 101 people that know it and how to lock him outside the website.

I mean, this is ridiculous. I cant afford to watch Nigeria been ridiculed like this. In fact, I have started working on the UI of the website. Will wait for Maku's reply.

4 Likes

Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Dondbuzor: 4:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
Y hasnt d thread moved to d front page

#justwonderin
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by yawatide(f): 5:29pm On Jul 09, 2013
GraphicsPlus:
+like
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2013
Dondbuzor: Y hasnt d thread moved to d front page

#justwonderin

What will u achieve when it moves to front page. Must it move to front page?

Yawa, can u post a link to the work u did on the portal?

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by yawatide(f): 6:01pm On Jul 09, 2013
^^^ Unfortunately, I think the domain has expired. You might be able to catch a glimpse by searching on NL and/or the facebook page https://www./172013582877604/
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by lacicrips(m): 5:53pm On Jul 10, 2013
This man clearly has free access to the server. Sad that the webmasters dont know any better.

I mean why would any sane IT personnel keep deleting an intruder's file instead of locking him out completely? I'm pretty certain paddy has more access to the server than the so-called webmasters.

The first thing to do is to get a dedicated or atleast a vps server. How can a federal goverment's website be on a shared hosting server? Doesnt make sense. My personal blog is on a $20/month vps on linode.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by mrperfect(m): 6:47pm On Jul 11, 2013
But that won't solve the problem as Nigeria government don't really need these websites going by the way the operate them. Some of them don't even know the url of their sites.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by yawatide(f): 7:17pm On Jul 11, 2013
^^^ Then maybe we should start there. Start from the very basics...The genesis. We also need to stop the culture of recycling the civil service where someone keeps redeclaring their age so that they can remain employed. Only when the new generation are firmly in control can stuff like this be truly appreciated.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Olyboy16(m): 2:39am On Jul 12, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
Joomla isn't the issue, IMHO. I mean, the white house uses Drupal. The issue is that most likely, they didn't implement a key process for a project like this: web security. If they done this during the development phase, then that audit would have more than likely uncovered the hole the hacker exploited.

If I know my people well (and I think I do tongue), an oga at the top got the job for n10m, then paid someone no more than 200K to do it. That person in turn just downloaded the default joomla, got the cheapest shared hosting solution, installed, did his/her job and called it a day. Oga at the top then turned it over to GEJ and went to Dubai (or wherever) with his mistress to enjoy the loot.

If the above scenario is true, then we need to do a top-down audit of all our systems (hosting, ISPs, servers, etc) and processes to ensure it doesn't happen again. I personally consider it an insult that the hacker is (supposedly) not Nigerian.
. Lol guys, i fink the idiot used a ddos attack to introduce himself at first(u guys shld try pinging the site nd si its get_records), them due to the open source nature of the server they're usin, he explicitly has enough access to the server than they can imagin , nd wat did the stupid web admins o'er there do? Removed the portal page which had already been cached by the smart hacker, so wen dey removed it, he simply reissues the page which had contained links to the site itself with some scripts. Instead of them to disable all links with a quick counter script, they removed the index page'! So stupid, nw the hacker finks he has devoured a big whale, dang! Wish sm1 smart wuld help those guys o'er there
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Olyboy16(m): 2:45am On Jul 12, 2013
GraphicsPlus: @Yawa, I sent an email to Mr. Labaran Maku this morning asking him to give me a go ahead instruction to redesign the website from scratch using custom codes then convert to drupal later.

After redesigning and developing and hosting the website, I wil then go on twitter to challenge paddy. I think he should be told how stup!d he is.

I told Maku that am not ready to collect a dime from FGN. All I want to do is to prove to this naughty guy that what he knows that there 101 people that know it and how to lock him outside the website.

I mean, this is ridiculous. I cant afford to watch Nigeria been ridiculed like this. In fact, I have started working on the UI of the website. Will wait for Maku's reply.
now thats a real nigerian bravo nd obrigada.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Pins(m): 11:39am On Jul 12, 2013
this is a very important advice to us all,learn some languages and learn to develop from the scratch and leave all this open cart systems for me personally,i prefer developing from the scratch except am using a well and very secure host that i know would not fail me e.g if am hosting my site on google,like my blog.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by jbanj4(m): 5:43pm On Jul 12, 2013
What the hell's the guy's problem? From Everything I'm seeing, I don't think this hacker guy is Irish......I've checked his twitter account.....
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 13, 2013
GraphicsPlus: @Yawa, I sent an email to Mr. Labaran Maku this morning asking him to give me a go ahead instruction to redesign the website from scratch using custom codes then convert to drupal later.

Have you received any response from the IM.Public officers in Nigeria rarely reply e-mails.

Writing custom and then migrating to drupal later is like taking a 2-way flight to Lagos from PH.So just start with Drupal.

Will be glad to help.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 13, 2013
Pins: this is a very important advice to us all,learn some languages and learn to develop from the scratch and leave all this open cart systems for me personally,i prefer developing from the scratch except am using a well and very secure host that i know would not fail me e.g if am hosting my site on google,like my blog.

Seriously.If I were to follow your advice,my quotes will be running seven digits for simple projects.I rather fix the loopholes of the CMS than build from Scratch.That way,I can focus on other aspects of web development and allow the CMS to take the load of managing users,permissions,security,file mgmt.

Besides most clients can't afford the cost of developing a Custom CMS.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by yawatide(f): 12:46pm On Jul 13, 2013
^^^ Personally, I don't think joomla is "strong" enough to handle the "pressure". Given the poor quality of the design and the content on the site (Have you visited the "national forum" page? Check out spam now. Also, given that most Nigerian access the web via a phone, it makes sense to have a mobile version. Joomla 3 supports mobile. I guess they didn't know that), it might make sense to just start from scratch, rather than try to plug the one problem.

Now, if they have the budget (of course we do, given our oil resources, but u sabi as we dey. They will make it seem like they don't), I would perhaps be in agreement for a total security audit of the current site and use that to determine if it is necessary to continue with what's there. Depending on the results, I then may or may not keep the current site.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 13, 2013
TO be frank security is a big deal, you get hacked easily especially government sites because we all know how they handle their contracts, that being said. There are few Nigerians good with security however the government won't employ such like that, hacking has been a pure interest for me, especially when someone from India showed me how sites can be hacked via images. But really i don't support paddy, but am more tolerant with paddy than the Government, i mean Why the F.cuk shud corruption be given a lighter pass than homosexuality. So Homosexuality is more serious corruption, its all diversion to get us to think about this while corruption still goes undetected. GEJ and his Cohorts are just pure mediocre, this is the type of shi.t we will have to deal with 2015, am also more disappointed with Christians; much time is fought on denying the rights of others than their own rights. I don't support Homosexuality but i don't support religious institution tackling Human Rights especially when such Religion has been responsible for deaths of many. sorry for my rants.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Sagamite(m): 3:51pm On Oct 15, 2013
Why don't the Nigerian government Umaru Dikko this person called Paddyhack back to Nigeria and try him.

He would learn a lesson when he spends time in a Nigerian jail and have his arsse bastardised like the people he is fighting for.

He would never attempt such shyt again.
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by Tuntheycr7: 10:56pm On Oct 15, 2013

Hope L. Maku replys you. If only if
Re: I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker by since1914(m): 11:44pm On Oct 15, 2013
If this fellow was such a good hacker, why has he chosen an easy target? He should be flexing his muscles with the Chinese or even with the Russians after-all they have more stringent anti-gay laws than Nigeria does.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Little Tips To Stand Out From The 100 Million Blogs On The Web / New!!! How To Receive Paypal Payment In Nigeria 2018 / A Guide On How To Reduce The Downtime On A Wordpress Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.