Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria (3130 Views)

Akinwunmi Ambode Causes A Stir At The Malls / SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks / China CCECC To Begin Construction Of Ibaka Deep Seaport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by billante(m): 6:55pm On Jul 10, 2013
The China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) has unveiled its plan to invest about $1billion in Nigeria towards the construction of cement factory, the modernisation of Tin Can Port, saw mill factory, funding for the construction of investment in real estate and in manpower development.

President of CCECC, Yuan Li, disclosed this to THISDAY Tuesday in Beijing in an interview after the company hosted Nigerian delegation that accompanied President Goodluck Jonathan on a state visit to the world’s most populous country.

Li said the company, which has the highest number of on-going construction work in Nigeria, planned to move from being a mere construction company to becoming an investor and would soon start commercial production of cement for the Nigeria market.

In real estate the company said it was already developing 110 houses (villas) somewhere around the Lagos-Epe expressway near the Lekki Free Trade Zone, which would be completed by the end of this year at the cost of $10 million.

“In the past Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Corporation was mainly in construction work and now I think we have already become one of the largest construction companies in Nigeria and we are competing with any other big construction company in the country, like Julius Berger. Since we have become one of the biggest construction companies in Nigeria, we need to find some other ways of development.

“The company said that before now it was manufacturing the cement it needed for its construction work, but it would expand the factory and begin to manufacture cement for the Nigerian market so that the pricing of the product would be competitive, adding that it would build plazas in Abuja and Lagos that would have hotels, shopping malls, offices and other businesses.

“We are looking for a land in Lagos and also in Abuja where we will build the CCECC plaza in the two cities. Each one of the lands will be about 50 square metres that will have hotels, offices. Each project will cost $100 million. We already have CCECC plaza in Beijing, in Shanghai and in Macau. We want to have several others in Africa, staring with Nigeria.”

The company also said it would offer scholarship to Nigerians to study technical courses in China, especially railway engineering in the Chinese Railway University, adding that Nigeria’s management of its railway system is weak due to dearth of technical manpower; that it would help the country by developing the needed manpower for the sector and acquiring and managing the locomotives (rail cars).

“We found that Nigerian students are not studying about railway transport in your country, even in Britain, but in China I graduated from the China Railway University. So we studied railway transport for four years in the university as major course of study. So we think that it is our duty to help you to train such engineers in China. Then they can go back to work for us or work for Nigerian Railway Corporation. That will be good. We are not doing this only for your country; we are also going to do it for Ethiopia.”
CCECC is also building four international terminals at the four major airports in Nigeria at the cost of $600 million with a loan from China Exim Bank that would be paid back with two per cent interest after seven years with 22 years moratorium.

“The four terminals will be located in the Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kano airports and the projects would be completed in 20 months. It will also provide jobs for 6000 indigenous workers with Chinese expatriates as supervising engineers.”

While welcoming the Nigerian delegates, including ministers, directors and other top officials of some ministries, Li said that the company had employed over 20,000 local staff in all its construction and other operations in Nigeria, adding that it would embark on construction of highways, development of the Tin Can Port under Public Private Partnership (PPP) and assist Nigeria in the modernisation of its railway infrastructure.

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ccecc-plans-1bn-investment-in-cement-factory-tin-can-port/152952/

1 Like

Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by billante(m): 7:01pm On Jul 10, 2013
They sure do have the highest number of construction projects ongoing in nigeria from lagos to port harcourt to abuja to kaduna to calabar, and all are major projects!

China is sure stamping their presence in nigeria! The west must be shifting uncomfortably in their seats!

1 Like

Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 7:19pm On Jul 10, 2013
Goodbye,america.
It was fun while it lasted.

3 Likes

Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by nedu2000(m): 7:25pm On Jul 10, 2013
Let dem finish the lagos badagry road,we are suffering,part of the orile axis that's completed already having potholes
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 10, 2013
Breaking news: Jonathan to address the nation in Mandarin embarassed
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 7:44pm On Jul 10, 2013
sheyie2007: Breaking news: Jonathan to address the nation in Mandarin embarassed
who cares?
As long as he leverage on the chinese relationship for Nigeria's devt.
Afterall,English is not our mother-tongue.

2 Likes

Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by taharqa2: 7:46pm On Jul 10, 2013
Railway University??... You go fear na
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 7:51pm On Jul 10, 2013
taharqa2: Railway University??... You go fear na
it sounds intriguing.
I wouldn't mind having a view of their programme.
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by homesteady(m): 7:52pm On Jul 10, 2013
taharqa2: Railway University??... You go fear na

LOL!! The matter tire me!! Wetin I wan go do for railway university?? LOOL chinko and their wahala!!
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by otokx(m): 8:02pm On Jul 10, 2013
Hope they have a back up plan to counter kidnapping?
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by billante(m): 10:02pm On Jul 10, 2013
nedu2000: Let dem finish the lagos badagry road,we are suffering,part of the orile axis that's completed already having potholes

They are in charge of the rail line construction not the road,Julius berger is
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 10:04pm On Jul 10, 2013
homesteady:

LOL!! The matter tire me!! Wetin I wan go do for railway university?? LOOL chinko and their wahala!!
These are the differences between countries like china,s.korea,japan,germany who are manufacturing giants and third world countries.
Third world countries don't want to get dirty.
Everybody wants to work in an air-conditioned office.
Nobody wants to work in the field.
Specialized technical cum engineering fields are relegated to the back-burner,and yet we want to develop.

2 Likes

Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 10, 2013
The company also said it would offer scholarship to Nigerians to study technical courses in China, especially railway engineering in the Chinese Railway University, adding that Nigeria’s management of its railway system is weak due to dearth of technical manpower; that it would help the country by developing the needed manpower for the sector and acquiring and managing the locomotives (rail cars).

My favourite part. I want to see this more than anything else.

3 Likes

Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 10, 2013
Just $1billion and you lot are celebrating, no? shocked

Nigerians will never cease to amaze me.

Why are a lot of Nigerians so primitive and medieval in their thought process?

Nigeria diaspora alone remitted $22billion into the Nigerian economy last year alone, yet nothing has changed.

What's there to rejoice about in $1billion worth of investments? undecided

1 Like

Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 10, 2013
ShyM-X:

Nigeria diaspora alone remitted $22billion into the Nigerian economy last year alone, yet nothing has changed.

Well one way to look at it is to ask whether the 22 billion went towards funding infrastructure.

Most diaspora remittances usually are from family members abroad who are sending some money home to papa. It boosts domestic spending power, yes, but doesn't necessarily fund much-needed infrastructure like this one does.

I agree that one billion is infinitessimal, considering the huge infrastructural gap. But at least it's something.

Anything is better than nothing, at this point.

2 Likes

Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Itoroetti(m): 10:57pm On Jul 10, 2013
homesteady:

That's the difference between u and him and u can judge who is better among the) two of u.
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Itoroetti(m): 11:00pm On Jul 10, 2013
ShyM-X:

If there is nothing to rejoice about some1 planning to invest in ur country,then something from ur village is seriously wrong wif u.

2 Likes

Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Itoroetti(m): 11:06pm On Jul 10, 2013
Julius berger,rcc,mothercat,etc have all been awarded contract in this same country,yet none has deemed it fit to even have this sort of plans toward nigeria,yet alone executing similar thing,but CCECC just few years into the country are already turning things around.
Now u don't need a magician to tell u that their works are cheaper than berger.
U don't need a juju man to tell u that their works are even more modern than berger.
Thumbs up our chinko brodas.
This is d same monopoly nokia,samsung and the rest created on mobile phone until tecno(china fone) came onboard.
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by IGBOSON1: 11:52pm On Jul 10, 2013
Itoroetti :
Julius berger,rcc,mothercat,etc have all been awarded contract in this same country,yet none has deemed it fit to even have this sort of plans toward nigeria,yet alone executing similar thing,but CCECC just few years into the country are already turning things around.
Now u don't need a magician to tell u that their works are cheaper than berger.
U don't need a juju man to tell u that their works are even more modern than berger.
Thumbs up our chinko brodas.
This is d same monopoly nokia,samsung and the rest created on mobile phone until tecno(china fone) came onboard.

^^^I'm happy that there's now proper competition for Julius Berger, and perhaps they can now start reducing their cut-throat prices. Does anyone remember the airport road scandal?; i think their defence at the time for the inflated contract was that it was a typo error or something, and that the typewriter added a few zeros by mistake!.....you couldn't make it up! wink

Julius Berger has gotten away with ripping this country off all these past decades b'cos Ex-Generals, politicians and the 'owners' of Nigeria have controlling stakes in the company.
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jul 10, 2013
[s]
Itoroetti :

If there is nothing to rejoice about some1 planning to invest in ur country,then something from ur village is seriously wrong wif u.
[/s]

No time for time wasters anymore.

Go to bed, mate.
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 11, 2013
HNosegbe:
Well one way to look at it is to ask whether the 22 billion went towards funding infrastructure.

Most diaspora remittances usually are from family members abroad who are sending some money home to papa. It boosts domestic spending power, yes, but doesn't necessarily fund much-needed infrastructure like this one does.

I agree that one billion is infinitessimal, considering the huge infrastructural gap. But at least it's something.

Anything is better than nothing, at this point.

The crux of the matter is that the $1billion is just like a drop in an ocean.

China pledged billions of dollars to other smaller African countries(Angola, Sudan at al), yet we're celebrating just $1billion investment in infrastructures that are mostly inconsequential.
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:10am On Jul 11, 2013
I know 2 few guys that studied rail systems engineering from Birmingham university yet the Nigerian railway won't absorb them... I would tell them to contact Ccecc. Seems the Chinese are ready to invest in people and not just infrastructures.

With regard to the cement manufacturing plant. that's good news. No more price fixing by lafarge and dangote. Affordable homes for all!
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by billante(m): 9:48am On Jul 11, 2013
saxywale: I know 2 few guys that studied rail systems engineering from Birmingham university yet the Nigerian railway won't absorb them... I would tell them to contact Ccecc. Seems the Chinese are ready to invest in people and not just infrastructures.

With regard to the cement manufacturing plant. that's good news. No more price fixing by lafarge and dangote. Affordable homes for all!

Gbam!
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by ninja4life(m): 9:53am On Jul 11, 2013
I love d part where dey are going to give nigerians scholarship to study in d railway university we need to develop our manufacturing industry and we would need to learn from china at least for now.i also love d part where dey will be producing cement i hope dat brings down d price of cement in d country.
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by eaglechild: 12:53pm On Jul 11, 2013
Nigeria should simply align with where her maximum benefits lie, which in recent times is China.
That is what every nation of the world does.
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by nedu2000(m): 9:09am On Jul 15, 2013
billante:

They are in charge of the rail line construction not the road,Julius berger is
И̣̣̣̥o that's. Not true,apart from the fact that I'm a civil engr,I live in the vicinity of their operations & a neighbour works for them
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by omanzo02: 9:50am On Jul 15, 2013
homesteady:

A country as big as Nigeria needs one, railways is big business and generate different type of subsidiary companies such as construction to high tech. Electrical companies, suppliers will as gain immensely from it too, better we develop such attitude now than to hire people from abroad.
Re: China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:53am On Jul 15, 2013
GEJ is working. At this pace in 20years time no Nigeria will want to go abroad.

I am personally looking forward to spending some time in the Eastern parts.

Asaba, Enugu or even Port Harcourt...........

Need more airport terminals(Onitsha international airport), dry land port sea port(river), railway stations, bus station and a proactive gov to make it all happen.

(1) (Reply)

Bomb Blast At Ile - Ife In Osun State ? / Oil And Gas: Subsea Wellheads Now Manufactured In Nigeria / Buhari And The Lion Of Bourdillon- By Femi Aribisala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.