Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. (20046 Views)

Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW / Meet The Only Two Nigeria Leaders That Publicly Declared Their Assets / Photo Of Nigeria's Leaders: Past And Present. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by hotmas911(m): 9:58pm On Jul 10, 2013
just wondering why Chinese public officials dress for business while conducting state's business and our own officials dressed like they are in traditional ceremony. I mean look at our president and the Chinese president. One seems smarter than the other just by the appearance. Or ..

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Tayeni(m): 10:42pm On Jul 10, 2013
I share ur thought on that too. But jonathan's caftan Is better than agbada..As much as I respect tradition and would like to preserve it, I still think agbada or babanriga is not work or business appropriate. IMO they should be worn at ceremonial functions only.
Politicians should shed their agbadas post election and get to work...

10 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by redsun(m): 11:47pm On Jul 10, 2013
Chinese official dress was pajamas,but as they become more westernize,they turm to armanies,boss,etc,and are at the moment on the verge of losing their fashion identity to ever consuming westernization.

It doesn't matter what nigerian politicians wear,they will still remain stupid and oblivious of what the game is all about.

They way people dress,like their language,houses and structures tells alot about them.

9 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by hotmas911(m): 9:21pm On Jul 12, 2013
redsun: Chinese official dress was pajamas,but as they become more westernize,they turm to armanies,boss,etc,and are at the moment on the verge of losing their fashion identity to ever consuming westernization.

It doesn't matter what nigerian politicians wear,they will still remain stupid and oblivious of what the game is all about.

They way people dress,like their language,houses and structures tells alot about them.
modernisation is not westernisation. I just think our politicians need to modernise.

5 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by hotmas911(m): 9:22pm On Jul 12, 2013
redsun: Chinese official dress was pajamas,but as they become more westernize,they turm to armanies,boss,etc,and are at the moment on the verge of losing their fashion identity to ever consuming westernization.

modernisation is not westernisation. I just think our politicians need to modernise. But u are on point
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by tomakint: 9:38pm On Jul 12, 2013
I concur with your reasoning @ OP, I think our politicians need to be decked in 'French Suit' I hate seeing them in those flowing garments that looked like parachute on them!

4 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by YoshiMaster: 10:13pm On Jul 12, 2013
You can dress a turd in a Tuxedo, don't make no difference.

I guess at least it'll look good.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Horus(m): 10:51pm On Jul 12, 2013
The best Dress code is the Nigerian one, a true way of living and dressing which is for Africans. We have for too long lived in the image and likeness of other races and other cultures. We have accepted their dress, their diets, their languages, their gods, their customs, etc. And what has it done for us?. Nothing but inequality and hatred. Dont follow those of our race who have converted to hate self and kind. Following your own culture cannot stop you to develop and become a very modern nation. Arab billionaires in Dubai still have their own Dress code and it doesnt stop them to develop.

31 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Tayeni(m): 11:46pm On Jul 13, 2013
Horus: The best Dress code is the Nigerian one, a true way of living and dressing which is for Africans. We have for too long lived in the image and likeness of other races and other cultures. We have accepted their dress, their diets, their languages, their gods, their customs, etc. And what has it done for us?. Nothing but inequality and hatred. Dont follow those of our race who have converted to hate self and kind. Following your own culture cannot stop you to develop and become a very modern nation. Arab billionaires in Dubai still have their own Dress code and it doesnt stop them to develop.
oh pls spare us d sermon....we r not advocating for dumping our traditional wears altogether. All I'm saying is dt babanriga is too ostentatious for an office wear. How much confidence would you hv in a bank where all d staff....frm d MD to d teller down to d security officers wear agbada.? D ladies might as well put on their long tailed wedding gowns to d banking hall.....funny sight?

4 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by ezeagu(m): 11:54pm On Jul 13, 2013
hotmas911: modernisation is not westernisation. I just think our politicians need to modernise.

Suits are Western.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by ezeagu(m): 11:55pm On Jul 13, 2013
This is the best:

8 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:48am On Jul 14, 2013
FIRST OF ALL, those kaftaans, etc., our politicians wear are not ORIGINAL Nigerian costumes. infact jonathans kaftan reminds me of what those pakistanis wear.

his Ijaw ancestors never wore that shyz.

proper dressing would be something like, SIr Obasanjo for example:

9 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:52am On Jul 14, 2013
Even the Arabs stick to their traditional Tribal Chief costumes:

4 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Tayeni(m): 2:14pm On Jul 14, 2013
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Tayeni(m): 2:14pm On Jul 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Even the Arabs stick to their traditional Tribal Chief costumes:

quit playing mehn....because d Arabs do it, that means we should? I'd rather copy d Chinese pple's work ethics than d Arab's. No offense. The way u dress to work has a correlation wit hw seriously you take ur job.. I prefer a clean cut, no-nonsense, straight-to-the-biz-of-the-day, no frills wear. Only naija aristocrats wear agbada to work to show off wealth and status jare.....cos that's d only way dey feel pple can differentiate d boss frm omose......

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:29pm On Jul 14, 2013
Tayeni: quit playing mehn....because d Arabs do it, that means we should? I'd rather copy d Chinese pple's work ethics than d Arab's. No offense. The way u dress to work has a correlation wit hw seriously you take ur job.. I prefer a clean cut, no-nonsense, straight-to-the-biz-of-the-day, no frills wear. Only naija aristocrats wear agbada to work to show off wealth and status jare.....cos that's d only way dey feel pple can differentiate d boss frm omose......

you quite playing man. not everything is bad about the Arabs. they are sticking to their courtly traditions so we must do the same.

China's political ideologies are different from ours. China is a communist nation , whereas Nigeria is some form of weird mix between Constitutional Republic with internal constitutionally recognized monarchies and CHiefships.

Therefore Nigeria pays value to culture and a politician in suit and tie cannot relate to the average middle-class/poor Nigerian.

6 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Tayeni(m): 3:04pm On Jul 14, 2013
[quote author=

Therefore Nigeria pays value to culture and a politician in suit and tie cannot relate to the average middle-class/poor Nigerian.[/quote]

yeah that's true...but a pity we take things too far. We r too loud and showy. Wrong value system placing too much on crude ostentatious show of wealth. I feel we should tone it down a little.....instead of the three piece agbada on a working day, why not commot d outer piece and stick wit d kaftan and sokoto......that's moderation.......and hey, I love hw productive those Chinese pple r.although its arguable, but their economy is looking more capitalist by d day........Arabs, just like Africans don't produce nothing.....d difference is just that they hv d money to buy and build luxury. Heck! They don't even build. They pay d foreign brains that build for them.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:16pm On Jul 14, 2013
[quote author=Tayeni][/quote]

don't underestimate the GUlf Arabs too much. watch your own place first.

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by ezeagu(m): 7:12pm On Jul 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
FIRST OF ALL, those kaftaans, etc., our politicians wear are not ORIGINAL Nigerian costumes. infact jonathans kaftan reminds me of what those pakistanis wear.

his Ijaw ancestors never wore that shyz.

No.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_QVW98iGMXHI/S3TsPEHAe1I/AAAAAAAAKCQ/12JxjR_FvuA/s640/igboman.png[/img]
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:50pm On Jul 14, 2013
ezeagu:

No.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_QVW98iGMXHI/S3TsPEHAe1I/AAAAAAAAKCQ/12JxjR_FvuA/s640/igboman.png[/img]

Is that a kaftan he is wearing?

First of all, pure Ijaw attire must include the following:

for commoner (due to their water-borne culture):

-shirtless (or if kaftan. it should be that very long one. not the pakistani style one worn by GEJ.)

- white body/face paint

- red beads (very imp.)

- waist wrap.

- no ridiculous cowboy hat

for high rankers:

-long embroidered kaftan

-waist wrap

- red beads (very imp)

- Ijaw headdress (not western style hat/top hat)

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Tayeni(m): 8:10pm On Jul 14, 2013
@Pagan.....kaftan na kaftan...long or short. D point is.....kaftan is a better option than agbada. As an office wear that is. .If you must put on ur full traditional regalia complete wt ur face paint and all.......it should b to a ceremony. Abi I dey talk rubbish ni? Lol.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 14, 2013
I cant wait for a President in suits

In a country where tribalism is so rife, sometimes I wonder whether it makes sense to have a President who dresses in his tribal attire everyday and thereby reminding people from the other end of the boarder that I am not one of you!

anyway those are my views

4 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by ezeagu(m): 9:05pm On Jul 14, 2013
mikeansy: I cant wait for a President in suits

In a country where tribalism is so rife, sometimes I wonder whether it makes sense to have a President who dresses in his tribal attire everyday and thereby reminding people from the other end of the boarder that I am not one of you!

Nigeria should be striving towards tolerance of each other cultures, not erasure of them altogether to appease the next man. The same irrational arguments are made for other things like languages, that Nigeria should end up completely Westernising itself to force a camaraderie between ethnic groups that has never been there. It does not work,

4 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by hotmas911(m): 9:54pm On Jul 14, 2013
mikeansy: I cant wait for a President in suits

u av a very beautiful argument!

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:41pm On Jul 14, 2013
ezeagu:

Nigeria should be striving towards tolerance of each other cultures, not erasure of them altogether to appease the next man. The same irrational arguments are made for other things like languages, that Nigeria should end up completely Westernising itself to force a camaraderie between ethnic groups that has never been there. It does not work,

I agree. This is how europe lost her tribes and culture.

soon these very Nigerians will be calling to standerdize, culture, language, tradition, etc., by adopting western styles to "unite the tribes".

4 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:42pm On Jul 14, 2013
what makes Nigeria great is her diversity. Let us not forget that Nigeria is just a barely 50 yr old Nation, while our ethnic groups date back 1000s of years.

I shall not comprimize a 1000+ yr old history for a 50 yr old one.

5 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 15, 2013
Nobody is asking anyone to loose their culture

The Nigerian President is the President of all Nigerians and not representative of any ethnic group in Aso Rock

Just like I would expect the President to address the Nation in a language everyone can understand, it makes sense for the President to present a persona that majority of Nigerians can relate to most of the time.

I am not sure we have more culture than the Kenyans, the South Africans or the Ghanaians! But their Presidents present a united front most of the times.

Who knows? if Yar'adua wore suits and Jonathan after him wear suits . . . .may be their wont be bombings from Boko Haram calling for an Islamic Caliphate.

We have tried this concept of having Presidents in robes since independence, you know what? we are not anymore united than we was in the 1930s, we are not even anymore successful, the celebration of our diversity is not even the Envy of Africa let alone the world.

Celebration of our culture and diversity should be the forte of chiefs, traditional representatives, regional heads and individuals. Our National leaders should strive to present a united front at all times!

5 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by ezeagu(m): 7:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
mikeansy: Nobody is asking anyone to loose their culture

The Nigerian President is the President of all Nigerians and not representative of any ethnic group in Aso Rock

Just like I would expect the President to address the Nation in a language everyone can understand, it makes sense for the President to present a persona that majority of Nigerians can relate to most of the time.

I am not sure we have more culture than the Kenyans, the South Africans or the Ghanaians! But their Presidents present a united front most of the times.

Who knows? if Yar'adua wore suits and Jonathan after him wear suits . . . .may be their wont be bombings from Boko Haram calling for an Islamic Caliphate.

We have tried this concept of having Presidents in robes since independence, you know what? we are not anymore united than we was in the 1930s, we are not even anymore successful, the celebration of our diversity is not even the Envy of Africa let alone the world.

Celebration of our culture and diversity should be the forte of chiefs, traditional representatives, regional heads and individuals. Our National leaders should strive to present a united front at all times!

What the Nigerian president wears has nothing to do with the unity of the country. If Goodluck Jonathan wears a suit it will not stop him from being seen as an Ijaw president. Do you seriously believe that Boko Haram never would have formed if Yar'Adua wore a suit? You think there's a chance of that?

Since you want to talk about unity, then why is it that Gulf states whose members of government largely wear traditional Gulf-Arab dressing in official state matters have a more united front than Nigerian's do even when the majority of those countries are now made up of foreigners? What about the prime-minister of India?

4 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by hotmas911(m): 9:08pm On Jul 15, 2013
mikeansy: Nobody is asking anyone to loose their culture

may God bless ur beautiful mind
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Tayeni(m): 9:48pm On Jul 15, 2013
hotmas911: may God bless ur beautiful mind
Nigeria is more multilingual than India and those gulf Arab states he keeps harping on......we r too polarized on too many fronts(language, religion, culture). Although, I don't thnk wearing a certain type of clothe is d magic bullet to solving our problems......but its a good place to start. A good leader has to b neutral & detribalised as much as he can esp in a country that speaks over 100 languages with over a million bigots(sorry my stat has no source). Haha.

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:10am On Jul 16, 2013
Tayeni: Nigeria is more multilingual than India and those gulf Arab states he keeps harping on......we r too polarized on too many fronts(language, religion, culture). Although, I don't thnk wearing a certain type of clothe is d magic bullet to solving our problems......but its a good place to start. A good leader has to b neutral & detribalised as much as he can esp in a country that speaks over 100 languages with over a million bigots(sorry my stat has no source). Haha.

Its not. India has got more than 1500 languages. (not counting the dialects.)

A detribalized leader cannot lead a Tribal NAtion.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Sanboy25: 10:24am On Jul 16, 2013
grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Valedictory Thanksgiving Service For Mimiko & His Wife (Photos) / Seriake Dickson Visits Rotimi Amaechi In Abuja (Photos) / Only PDP Can Solve Nigeria’s Economic Problems- Gov. Emmanuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.