Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. (20047 Views)

Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW / Meet The Only Two Nigeria Leaders That Publicly Declared Their Assets / Photo Of Nigeria's Leaders: Past And Present. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Bolaoshun(f): 10:28am On Jul 16, 2013
Hmmmmm.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Fazhy: 10:28am On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Its not. India has got more than 1500 languages. (not counting the dialects.)

A detribalized leader cannot lead a Tribal NAtion.

So, what is the solution?

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
FIRST OF ALL, those kaftaans, etc., our politicians wear are not ORIGINAL Nigerian costumes. infact jonathans kaftan reminds me of what those pakistanis wear.

his Ijaw ancestors never wore that shyz.

proper dressing would be something like, SIr Obasanjo for example:

curtain E be like say them throw the guy inside am lipsrsealed
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by yuzedo: 10:30am On Jul 16, 2013
Nigerian "Leaders"?? DEFINITELY Shackles & Chains!! angry angry angry undecided
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by darkashes(m): 10:32am On Jul 16, 2013
in politics, the dress code has nothing to do about u internationally,but how much u have contributed,as a president,governor e.t.c to the growth n development of ur country,state or wherever. For instance,if nigeria is over developed wit everything at its best,no one wil give two hecks if gej wears a p.j to china..lolz

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by obailala(m): 10:37am On Jul 16, 2013
hotmas911: modernisation is not westernisation. I just think our politicians need to modernise.

I beg to differ.. it has more to do with westernisation. I see no way in which wearing a suit represents modernisation cos if that's the case then all the advanced middle eaastern countries (Saudi, Qatar, UAE etc.) are backward.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:38am On Jul 16, 2013
Fazhy:

So, what is the solution?

THe solution my friend, is that let them wear their respective traditional clothes, but let them do it with some style, dignity and etiquette.

Their trad. clothes symbolize the uniqueness and soverieignity of the NIgerian state.

The important point is that they must look and evoke respect in the eyes of foreign dignitaries and statesmen.

so there should probably be a comission of stylists that decides the Presidents wardrobe for foreign functions.

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by alhajiwada(m): 10:41am On Jul 16, 2013
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery so said the late legend Bob Marley. Why do we think western style suits are "smart" and by implication our traditional attires "dumb" undecided

6 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 16, 2013
tomakint: I concur with your reasoning @ OP, I think our politicians need to be decked in 'French Suit' I hate seeing them in those flowing garments that looked like parachute on them!

suit? So, u can imagine OBJ, IBB, Asari etc on suits? Mehn, Naija politicians are shapeless.

Only Sullivan Chime, Sanusi and few will wear suits and u will fall in luv with suits, the rest better continue covering their gorilla bodies with flowing gowns n frills.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:58am On Jul 16, 2013
Representatives of Swaziland to the United Nations. Dont give a f*ck aboutwhat others think. cool

8 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by donsax: 10:59am On Jul 16, 2013
To he.ll with chinese president...this is Nigeria. If our leader like they can go with only undies as long as their corruption stop no issue with that.

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by NaijaNaWaa: 11:46am On Jul 16, 2013
D most annoying local garb is the mallam's 3 piece danshiki, shagari cap and sopido shoes. It's d ultimate drone's wear that symbolizes profligacy and corruption. Imho, that attire is responsible for all of Naija's woes.

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 16, 2013
@ OP that is because nigeria is full of corrupt politicians. When you wear suit you cannot hide a brief case filled with money in it but with Agbada you can carry a bag filled with money and use the Agbada to cover it and nobody can ever notice it. Agbada is worn by politicians in nigerian to aid them steal large some of money without people noticing it.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by farem: 11:49am On Jul 16, 2013
Our dress code/mode has got nothing to do with the tact. It's all a function of what exists between the ears of the wearer!
Wear french or german suit, if nothing good exists between your ears, you remain a goof.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by obi123: 11:55am On Jul 16, 2013
to be honest no one care what he wears , if he likes, he should wear singlet and boxers then wear proper dress shoes with white socks , he and his govt should just deliver i beg
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 16, 2013
I find it funny that people in hot tropical climate want their president to be wearing a (suites) design made for cold, shivering cold climate.
Try wearing a suit to work everyday for a year before making this suggestion. The president should wear whatever he is comfortable with, and aligns with any message he wishes to send across.

3 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jul 16, 2013
KenGali: I find it funny that people in hot tropical climate want their president to be wearing a (suites) design made for cold, shivering cold climate.
Try wearing a suit to work everyday for a year before making this suggestion. The president should wear whatever he is comfortable with, and aligns with any message he wishes to send across.

Best comment so far...
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Anvaller: 12:10pm On Jul 16, 2013
mikeansy: Nobody is asking anyone to loose their culture

The Nigerian President is the President of all Nigerians and not representative of any ethnic group in Aso Rock

Just like I would expect the President to address the Nation in a language everyone can understand, it makes sense for the President to present a persona that majority of Nigerians can relate to most of the time.

I am not sure we have more culture than the Kenyans, the South Africans or the Ghanaians! But their Presidents present a united front most of the times.

Who knows? if Yar'adua wore suits and Jonathan after him wear suits . . . .may be their wont be bombings from Boko Haram calling for an Islamic Caliphate.

We have tried this concept of having Presidents in robes since independence, you know what? we are not anymore united than we was in the 1930s, we are not even anymore successful, the celebration of our diversity is not even the Envy of Africa let alone the world.

Celebration of our culture and diversity should be the forte of chiefs, traditional representatives, regional heads and individuals. Our National leaders should strive to present a united front at all times!

Dude, u are subliminally advocating for a repression of our identity. I will never support our public office holders wearing suit at all. Although I am not a fan of Jonathan but let him wear is native attire, and hey what is wrong with is outfit? U have been mentally conditioned to accept everything of the white man as normal and perfect... Except Agbada which is somewhat superfluous, and more and more ppl are wearing less agbada these days. If u want to advocate for smarter attires, why not advocate for our smarter attires? why must they be western to be smart?

And next time, try to base ur argument on more intellectual substance, cos its grossly embarrassing that u think wearing a white man's cloth could have been a solution to the biggest of our problems. We may or may not have more culture than the countries u have mentioned but the only certain thing is that we are a mile more proud of who we are and our identity than all those countries u have mentioned. And that is the only thing we have left going good for us. Or have u not asked urself the reason we have prospered in arts and entertainment compared to those countries?

3 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:13pm On Jul 16, 2013
I think on this thread, we must take a leaf out the Gulf Arabs.

Does anyone here live or has been to the UAE, KSA, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, etc.?

you will notice that in these countries, almost all the local populace wear their traditional attires. They still maintain their tribal identities in these areas.

Also you will notice that they have "modernized" their own respective attires. They have not done away with it.

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by bummite: 12:26pm On Jul 16, 2013
obailala:

I beg to differ.. it has more to do with westernisation. I see no way in which wearing a suit represents modernisation cos if that's the case then all the advanced middle eaastern countries (Saudi, Qatar, UAE etc.) are backward.

Your theory sounds like Boko Haram's motto. We can also in the same vein do away with women's rights because the Middle Eastern countries do away with it and they are civilized. Go check the meanings of 'modernization', 'westernization', and 'civilization'. Certainly being attired in a modern outfit to a degree projects a more unified and dignified Nigeria.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

you will notice that in these countries, almost all the local populace wear their traditional attires. They still maintain their tribal identities in these areas.

Also you will notice that they have "modernized" their own respective attires. They have not done away with it.

Your still missing the point of some of the arguments on here. These countries you give as examples have a monolithic culture. If all of Nigeria are Hausa Fulani I will not be presenting my argument at all
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by fulli16(m): 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2013
okay...jux a minute abeg, i was wandering, if our leaders now decide 2 start wearing tuxedos, shebi unah no go complain wen dey start demanding an increase in their wardrobe allowances...jux 2 meet up with d price f italian suites?

abeg make unah leave dem with dier wrapper, i tink dat 1 is cheaper!
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 16, 2013
and just out of curiousity and my education whose culture involve suit wearing?

Because am pretty sure that any country you name you can go back in history to find when the majority of the people or the country's leaders did not where suits?
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Btruth: 12:33pm On Jul 16, 2013
I think for me the dressing code does not matter so far you are wearing something that is decent & comfortable for you.

All that matter most is the inner code of conduct. Be discipline in all manner of life. Charity begins at home.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by NEROSKY(m): 12:37pm On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Representatives of Swaziland to the United Nations. Dont give a f*ck aboutwhat others think. cool

Nonsense, suit might change the way of our thinking, getting things done, not coming to public with nonsense wears, is just annoying seen our rulers wear that trash on public occasions... At times i ask why did we gain independence Just see us & south Africans...

Beside, if you don't like modernisation or western things, stop using their things such as phones laptops, cars n everything that comes from their... Our presiodiot would have trekked to china... Nonsense!
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by seunny4lif(m): 12:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Dont mind the OP joor...Black people get problem sha...I have been to 10 countries in the world and i dont see dem change the culture cos of oyinbo people,even na there oyinbo dey visit pass

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by seunny4lif(m): 1:00pm On Jul 16, 2013
NEROSKY:

Nonsense, suit might change the way of our thinking, getting things done, not coming to public with nonsense wears, is just annoying seen our rulers wear that trash on public occasions... At times i ask why did we gain independence Just see us & south Africans...

Beside, if you don't like modernisation or western things, stop using their things such as phones laptops, cars n everything that comes from their... Our presiodiot would have trekked to china... Nonsense!
Guy,Abeg dey wear suit everyday make we hear word..Suit make u think wise abi?I see

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 16, 2013
NEROSKY:

People want to keep doing the same things and expect something different!

Has anyone seen Jacob Zuma is his Zulu attire during traditional outings? If you see him you will know his culture is not lost on him one bit! and yet during State functions he looks the part.

You know what? South African politicians are also a bunch of more serious people than the thugs we have as politicians be it in PDP or opposition.

Who knows may be if we paid attention to this kind of small details we wont have all the dumb thugs running the show!

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 16, 2013
Abeg there's nothing wrong with the current dress code jor. What do you mean by they "mordernize"? The use of suits and what nots = mordenization? abegi. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 16, 2013
mikeansy:

People want to keep doing the same things and expect something different!

Has anyone seen Jacob Zuma is his Zulu attire during traditional outings? If you see him you will know his culture is not lost on him one bit! and yet during State functions he looks the part.

You know what? South African politicians are also a bunch of more serious people than the thugs we have as politicians be it in PDP or opposition.

Who knows may be if we paid attention to this kind of small details we wont have all the dumb thugs running the show!

wait, I don't understand you guys at all Dressing in suits and non-traditional attires now make you look "more serious"? What small details are we talking about here? Abeg go siddon jor. They should dress the way they dress now! There's nothing thuggy about it! Make una no vex me with silly comments this morning o. angry

3 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 16, 2013
seunny4lif: Guy,Abeg dey wear suit everyday make we hear word..Suit make u think wise abi?I see

I tire for the guy o. lipsrsealed Suits might make u serious? WTH?

NEROSKY:

Nonsense, suit might change the way of our thinking, getting things done, not coming to public with nonsense wears, is just annoying seen our rulers wear that [size=16pt]trash[/size] on public occasions... At times i ask why did we gain independence Just see us & south Africans...

Nebrosky this is the biggest piece of crap I have read in a very long time. angry Our traditional attires are not thrash! Did you grow up in naija or abroad? I would like to understand the root of the appalling ignorance you just showed.The use of trads is NOT the same as the usage of phones,laptops or cars, so your argument is very flawed. sad

Our politicians are Nigerians, what they choose to wear has no bearing on their ability to lead or provide good governance to the populace. If South African officials wear suits, that's their business. There is NOTHING wrong with the use of trads by our politicians... in fact it's one of the very few things that I am proud of. I go #RepMyCountry any time, any where. angry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Only PDP Can Solve Nigeria’s Economic Problems- Gov. Emmanuel / Valedictory Thanksgiving Service For Mimiko & His Wife (Photos) / Seriake Dickson Visits Rotimi Amaechi In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.