Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,492 members, 7,781,476 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:08 PM

FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit (40230 Views)

Drama As INEC Concludes Defence In Akwa Ibom Governorship Election Suit / Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge / Fashola Inspects Ikoyi Bridge Now At 80% Completion. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Lugano(m): 12:45am On Jul 11, 2013

The Federal Government, through the National Inland Waterway Authority, is to file its defence in a suit before a Federal High Court, Lagos, challenging the imposition of tolls on the Lekki-Ikoyi Suspended Bridge.

The Federal Government made this request last Friday, a development which was part of the reasons the court was unable to deliver judgment on Tuesday, as it had earlier scheduled.

Justice Saliu Seidu, who granted the FG’s request, has, therefore, fixed November 4, 2013, for a mention.

A civil rights lawyer, Mr. Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, had filed the suit, asking the court to declare unconstitutional the state government’s construction of a bridge on a federal waterways and the imposition of tolls on users of the same bridge.

While the state government and its Attorney-General, Mr. Ade Ipaye, both defendants in the suit, participated in the hearing of the suit on April 30, 2013, FG, also a defendant, failed to show up.

But counsel for the FG, Mrs. Queen Uba, appeared in court on July 5, pleading with the court for more time to file her papers in respect of the case.

Uba also noted that her client had not been served with the processes of the state government and the state’s attorney-general, a claim which the court confirmed to be true.

The court also heard arguments on the request by Adegboruwa, seeking the court to allow him to file additional facts, which were not available as of April 30, 2013, when the matter was heard and adjourned till July 9 for judgment.

Ipaye, who appeared for his office and the state, opposed Adegboruwa’s fresh application, after which the court adjourned for ruling.

After the court adjourned till July 5 for judgment, Governor Babatunde Fashola on May 29 inaugurated the bridge, declaring it as a toll bridge.

Adegboruwa subsequently filed the application seeking the court to permit him file additional affidavit to show that toll collection had commenced on the bridge while judgment on its propriety was being awaited.

In an affidavit supporting the application to file additional evidence, he stated that the inauguration of the bridge and the subsequent commencement of toll collection on it, was meant to “undermine and over-reach” the case

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-file-defence-in-lekki-ikoyi-bridge-suit/
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Nobody: 1:41am On Jul 11, 2013
Hope its quickly resolved.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by sEyi6: 5:00am On Jul 11, 2013
Lagos state gov saw the need to construct a bridge on a federal waterway to ease the traffic in the state, built the bridge and tolled the bridge after completion.
Lagosians have the option to either use the longer existing route freely or use the shorter newly constructed route.

Already, Lagos gov has successfully reduced the traffic on the old route, such that citizens that don't care about the tolling of the new bridge won't pass the old one, and the fact that many Lagosians are always in haste means many will go for the tolled bridge, leaving the old for the common Lagosians. Thereby splitting the traffic.

What has the federal government been doing all these years that it was obvious that a bridge is needed on that waterway to ease traffic?
If the federal government had constructed the bridge, will the Lagos state gov go ahead to toll the bridge?

Looks like the federal government is discouraging the state government in taking up responsibilities that they(fg) are incompetent of.

The FG shouldn't have mentioned anything related to the bridge, because it is their incompetent @ss that Lagos government is saving.

No sane human will pass through or see the bridge and won't appreciate the brain behind it. In short the Federal government is envious of Lagos state.

47 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 11, 2013
Federal Government are just envious of Lagos state Government!! them are like, How is fashola doing it grin clueless people

6 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by oddy4real(m): 8:47am On Jul 11, 2013
bennyraz: Federal Government are just envious of Lagos state Government!! them are like, How is fashola doing it grin clueless people
You are so ignorant and you are proud of it. Peruse through the post, is the Federal Government suing the Lagos State Government?
Your comprehension skills are virtually non-existent

29 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by fitzmayowa: 9:47am On Jul 11, 2013
Another law suit

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by yang(m): 9:50am On Jul 11, 2013
$£yi:
Lagos state gov saw the need to construct a bridge on a federal waterway to ease the traffic in the state, built the bridge and tolled the bridge after completion.
Lagosians have the option to either use the longer existing route freely or use the shorter newly constructed route.

Already, Lagos gov has successfully reduced the traffic on the old route, such that citizens that don't care about the tolling of the new bridge won't pass the old one, and the fact that many Lagosians are always in haste means many will go for the tolled bridge, leaving the old for the common Lagosians. Thereby splitting the traffic.

What has the federal government been doing all these years that it was obvious that a bridge is needed on that waterway to ease traffic?
If the federal government had constructed the bridge, will the Lagos state gov go ahead to toll the bridge?

Looks like the federal government is discouraging the state government in taking up responsibilities that they(fg) are incompetent of.

The FG shouldn't have mentioned anything related to the bridge, because it is their incompetent @ss that Lagos government is covering.

No sane human will pass through or see the bridge and won't appreciate the brain behind it.

There is something called Nigerian Inland Waterways Act. Lagos people and their street Tollgates. . . Why do u people bother to pay tax again.
Smh

6 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by effisyman: 9:50am On Jul 11, 2013
When will naija govt grow and become one.

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by KINGwax(m): 9:50am On Jul 11, 2013
^^

That kind infinity question grin
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Capnd143(m): 9:51am On Jul 11, 2013
Another wahala? We give upppp!
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by wasiudvd(m): 9:52am On Jul 11, 2013
Were mani FG eleyi ke! So the bridge should be removed or the toll fee should stop? Why can't FG refund the cost of constructing the bridge and stop the tolling? They better call kung-lao to include that in the money he want to borrow fron liu-kang.
Can't just wait for that 2015.

13 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Adex097: 9:54am On Jul 11, 2013
LAGOS is Moving forward
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by spoilerx: 9:57am On Jul 11, 2013
personally I see no reason why Lagos state after collecting revenue from the FG, revenue from tax(companies and individuals] can't afford to build a toll free bridge for Lagosians.

why then do we have a government?

solely to collect revenue?

11 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by nous(f): 9:57am On Jul 11, 2013
Gosh, many people have comprehension problem (that is what happens when your objectivity is blinded). See the way they are castigating the FG as if it was the FG that sued the Lagos state government.
THE FG IS ALSO A DEFENDANT IN THE CASE.
This is not a FG vs LG case.
People please read with understanding.

5 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by docjuli(m): 9:58am On Jul 11, 2013
Ok, FG should refund LASG and start the toll-collection. So sad.
By the way, LASG we need more bridges don't mind FG.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by KINGwax(m): 10:01am On Jul 11, 2013
yang:

There is something called Nigerian Inland Waterways Act. Lagos people and their street Tollgates. . . Why do u people bother to pay tax again.
Smh
u shld ask why england, whom her citizens pay as much as 40% in tax still pay tolls for bridges.
Most times u guys talk without reasoning!

The simple reason for tollin is

1. To discourage congestion on the new bridge

2. Free space for the old lane

3. Collect more cash from the rich who are not complaing anyway

4. Use the same cash to provide free amenities for u poor Id!ots that evade taxes and still want free things!!!

16 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by kiss2Tell: 10:05am On Jul 11, 2013
oddy4real:
You are so ignorant and you are proud of it. Peruse through the post, is the Federal Government suing the Lagos State Government?
Your comprehension skills are virtually non-existent

He is not the only one o. I wonder how people pass exams these days. Please help me tell them that FG is a defendant in the suit. FG is being sued alongside the LASG.

2 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by iamsexy: 10:08am On Jul 11, 2013
I laugh each time I hear people call this a suspended bridge

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by jmaine: 10:10am On Jul 11, 2013
Amazing how people just look at the topic then emit silly posts without even digesting the topic.

To those silly fellas, The FG is co defendant in this case with the LASG

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by oladcity(m): 10:13am On Jul 11, 2013
@jmaine and others that actually read the post properly, i hear there is a high rate of allitracy in Nigeria (i.e. people who can read and write but don't read)

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 11, 2013
Nigerians will never take time to read and understand a story before commenting.

No wonder people fail English comprehension in WAEC.

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by jmaine: 10:15am On Jul 11, 2013
oladcity: @jmaine and others that actually read the post properly, i hear there is a high rate of allitracy in Nigeria (i.e. people who can read and write but don't read)

I dey trip for them cheesy
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by me1234: 10:17am On Jul 11, 2013
I appreciate Fashola for the projects so far in lagos. However, my question is why build these projects then toll us for them after paying our taxes. So my question is did he used his personal money to build these projects? And if it was a loan is he going to payback with his personal money? Why do our government carryout their responsibility to the people and yet enslave the people? Good roads are the responsibilities of the government to its people. The peoples responsibility is to pay tax.unfortunately in lagos the people pay tax yet they are tolled

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Austinobisnr(m): 10:18am On Jul 11, 2013
so jamb was never really @fault over mass failure

2 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by dridowu: 10:22am On Jul 11, 2013
kiss2Tell:

He is not the only one o. I wonder how people pass exams these days. Please help me tell them that FG is a defendant in the suit. FG is being sued alongside the LASG.
actually , i guess pple dont read details to really comprehend what is going on, pple just read d topic only and comment . So sad 4 my pple, simple english hard my pple
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by geeez: 10:23am On Jul 11, 2013
iamsexy: I laugh each time I hear people call this a suspended bridge

It's called a suspension bridge and it is because it is supported by cables
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by Jimohlawal(m): 10:25am On Jul 11, 2013
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by enm(m): 10:26am On Jul 11, 2013
$£yi:

The FG shouldn't have mentioned anything related to the bridge, because it is their incompetent @ss that Lagos government is saving.

No sane human will pass through or see the bridge and won't appreciate the brain behind it. In short the Federal government is envious of Lagos state.

You and your fellow journey men should clap for yourself and read it again.
Abi you no do comprehension for school ni?

2 Likes

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by boneruns(m): 10:28am On Jul 11, 2013
oladcity: @jmaine and others that actually read the post properly, i hear there is a high rate of allitracy in Nigeria (i.e. people who can read and write but don't read)

Yes, there is high rate of "allitracy".
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by omiobo: 10:30am On Jul 11, 2013
The topic says all,"Fg to defence in Lekki Ikoyi bridge suit". Why the bruohahahahaha about fg? Nlers no dey read before dem post.
Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by OneDemola: 10:30am On Jul 11, 2013
$£yi:

I need to give you 1 million likes for this comment!

1 Like

Re: FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit by makizee(m): 10:31am On Jul 11, 2013
iamsexy: I laugh each time I hear people call this a suspended bridge

Dont blame em...It's a cable stayed bridge

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rabi'u Kwankwaso's Posters Flood Kano Over 2019 Polls (photos) / Atiku Heads For London In Last-Ditch Effort To Woo Wike / Wale Edun Gets World Bank Appointment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.