Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" (16532 Views)

Mistreatment Of Employees By Indian Company's In Nigeria / Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? / Please Advise,am I Been Enslaved Or Am An Ingrate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Gamesmart: 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2013
Ajibam: "I Signed Myself Into Slavery Because Of Unemployment And Now I Can't Get Out"

Please I urgently need the help of any legal practitioners. I really don't know what I've gotten my self into.

I finished NYSC last year and two months later I was interviewed for a job at an Indian owned Pharmaceutical company. After two months I was offered the job as a Medical representative. My self and all other successful applicants were given a one-week training before we were all dispatched to our different states.

Among the employment forms we were given to sign there was a SERVICE BOND form which states that "I am to work with the company for TWO YEARS or pay a sum of 250.000" I signed because of the employment situation in the country and to be honest I was desperate I couldn't afford to be unemployed I had so many family pressures I was almost becoming depressed.

I am now on the job and my people I AM SEEING HELL!!! I work tirelessly my salary is less than 100k I spend a greater amount of it on transportation(Nature of the Job as a Medical Representative I Move from one place to the other) we were promised a car for mobility but this is almost 6months and absolutely nothing is being said about it. I am under the sun under the rain working. I hate complaining because I feel it is synonymous to being ungrateful but some days I can't take it I feel like quitting on the spot!

After I realised the service bond I signed I refused to sign the offer of employment letter (I still have it in my possession). Now I'm seeking a less stressful job because honestly this one is beginning to affect my health. How do I go about this SERVICE BOND please I really need help. I can't pay that 250k I can barely save up to 20k every month infact successfully saving 10k a month is a miracle! And I can't work for another 18 months I'm not sure I will survive. Please I need Your help!

http://m.naij.com/news/39768.html

I am pretty sure there is no way a legal document asking you to pay a sum (N250K) for wanting to discontinue employment will stand up in any sane court. More so since the N250K was not given to you e.g. as joining bonus or golden handshake.

Worse still, when the company has not lived up to its responsibilities, expectations and promises.

Don't be conned by some useless contract that is not valid. LEAVE!
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Ayomax(m): 6:36pm On Jul 11, 2013
you don't need to stress yaself, just be a lazy employer for the main time (two weeks) always come late to work, eating at the office or sleeping etc, dey will be forced to sack you n you can have ur freedom bak.

5 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Sweetlemon(f): 6:38pm On Jul 11, 2013
Who da hell is that Natasha lady? If she enjoys and is grateful for little odd jobs, it doesn't mean everyone else should be, especially those who know their worth!
Mtcheeeew!

@ all, I really don't know why Nigerians like to have this mentality that you must do office work. Why can't you start your own business?
See, let me tell you something, salary is slavery. Simple and short!

Yes, I work in a reputable company and all but I will be off to start my own thing as soon as I have laid down plans for my own business and gotten enough capital (I don't want to start small and I want to gather more experience)
Only a 7-figure salary can stop me from doing my own business full time.

Guys don't dull yourselves. If Dangote did it you too can do it. Your time starts now....

3 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by texaco1: 6:39pm On Jul 11, 2013
This is rubbish!how can an indian company enslave u a nigerian?are they holding ur certificate or what?if u know u are fed up with the job,simply stop going there or will they come and arrest u in ur house?infact I don't see any issue here.if they don't see u in the office will they come to ur house?this is nigeria and if u are in india that would have been a different case just like the procedure in dubai or qatar but in nigeria abeg forget story.even ppl dey quit govt post sef nothing dey happen

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by ocheejemb: 6:39pm On Jul 11, 2013
Hiss,,,this doesnt even look like a real story. At least its not really the OP in this predicaments.

lol..just noticed this
"21. Please spell words correctly when you post, and try to use perfect grammar and punctuation."

OK grammar nazi
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Sweetlemon(f): 6:40pm On Jul 11, 2013
Gamesmart:

I am pretty sure there is no way a legal document asking you to pay a sum (N250K) for wanting to discontinue employment will stand up in any sane court. More so since the N250K was not given to you e.g. as joining bonus or golden handshake.

Worse still, when the company has not lived up to its responsibilities, expectations and promises.

Exactly!
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by ocheejemb: 6:40pm On Jul 11, 2013
Gamesmart:

This happens quite a lot in Nigeria actually, even some banks. Look at the related threads at the top of this page
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by dionma: 6:43pm On Jul 11, 2013
As a lawyer, I can tell you that walking away from the job is not a crime. At best, the company can only sustain a civil claim against you. At most, you will be liable in damages. the quantum of damages to be decided by the court and not the company.

The terms of the contract has to be carefully reviewed, there are certain terms in a contarct called fundamental terms. If they have breached such a term, then you can repudiate the contract (bring the contract to an end). But first, one need to know the terms of the contract and not speculate on what may be contained in the contract. I suspect that the letter of offer of employment in their posession was signed by you, otherwise you would not have gotten the job in the first instance. You can contact me on ighalo.thompson@yahoo.com
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by somegirl1: 6:44pm On Jul 11, 2013
And if you ran off, in Nigeria where nothing and no one is traceable, how would they be able to find you to get the 250k? Did you take them to your parents' home or village?
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Gamesmart: 6:54pm On Jul 11, 2013
oche_ejemb:
This happens quite a lot in Nigeria actually, even some banks. Look at the related threads at the top of this page

It happens does not mean it would stand up in court.

Either the employers are ignorant or they are playing on people's ignorant or Nigeria's judicial system is insane.

Despite how poor Nigeria is in everything, I don't think the judicial system can be that incompetent and insane. It must be one of the other two.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by enm(m): 6:56pm On Jul 11, 2013
natasha: I will tell you that jobs are hard to come by, so also is keeping a job. There isnt an easy job. Even oil/banking/political jobs have alot of stress attached to it. If you are complaining that you work in the rain and sun (yet you hv a guaranteed income montgly irrespectively of your target met) i am sorry to say this; you are LAZY. Very lazy and a typical epitome of the nigerian graduate who feels the world owes them the right to a xushy, well paying stress free job.
Do you know how many hours the kids who hawk water/buns etc put in daily even at the weekends all for a meagre 200# naira at the end od the day? In the rain, sun, cold, they endure daily hazards like people stealing their wares, sexual harrassments from all sorts, injuries from feckless drivers.
Let me give you examples of life in d uk, there are people who work odd jobs in freezing conditions (-4 degrees typical weather condition for my city) here and end up sleeping on a couch at the end of the night just so they can save up and send money to take care of their responsibilities back home as well as meet the demanda of extended family membera/relatives like you.
I would advise yoj to suck it up, man up, stop acting like a spoilt child and learn to be thankful that you have a job despite you little work experience instead of conplaining that they didnt give you a car. Do you think its cheap maintaining a car? You need to stop this attitude of self entitlement and change your mentality. For someone who has already earned 600k in 6 months and cant boast of a 5% savings na wa o. Afraid she is catching me (as sum1 i know wld say).
Take what u can if u can from my words and i wish u well.

It is because of people like you that employer of labour maltreat their employees.

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Gbemmyxal(f): 7:01pm On Jul 11, 2013
Natasha or woreva u call urself, ur jez being silly here. Ur so dumb dat u can't see through the difference between trying to make a life and being enslaved. U beta come back and share your own portion of the suffering. Runaway fool!

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by juman(m): 7:11pm On Jul 11, 2013
Some people are lazy sha.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by DWJOBScom(m): 7:25pm On Jul 11, 2013
Efemena_xy: I'm no legal practitioner but here's my two cents worth of advice:

~ First of all, whip out your Contract of Employment you were given and carefully go through the Terms of Agreement you signed up for.

~ Next, look for where they haven't honoured their end of the deal. You mentioned that part of the agreement was that they provide you with a car for ease of mobility. They haven't done that yet, even after six months. So you have a strong point here to use against them: i.e 'Breach of Contract'. If you can prove how much this has put a drain on your resources (receipts, etc), then even better.

Make a written official complaint to your employers that they haven't met up on their obligations to you with respect to providing you with transportation if you haven't already done so. Request also that they compensate you for your expenses over the last six months. Send them an email, then await their response. If after a few days you get no reply from them, then send a follow-up email. DO NOT DELETE YOUR EMAIL OR THEIR RESPONSE. It's your proof which you're hoping to use against them in your favour.

~ Secondly, go visit your doctor and explain the mental stress this job is exerting in you and how it's affecting your daily life, eg: unable to sleep at night, panic attacks, etc. You're doing this for two purposes: to get some medical help AND proof later on that you can use to exit that company on the grounds of health issues. Your doctor should keep a copy of the outcome of your visit.

~ Finally, be strong. Speak to friends and family members so they can provide you with the emotional support you need. Find the services of a good lawyer if you can too for more advice on what you can do and the options available to you.

Best of luck!

God bless you my friend....thanks for coming to hsi rescue. Its now left for him to handle it the way you have outlined o let him remain a cry baby
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by gedtalks(m): 7:26pm On Jul 11, 2013
Gbemmyxal: Natasha or woreva u call urself, ur jez being silly here. Ur so dumb dat u can't see through the difference between trying to make a life and being enslaved. U beta come back and share your own portion of the suffering. Runaway fool!

my guy the fool (Natasha) deserves to be SLAPPED away from NL. She just speaks from her A N U S

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by dammytosh: 7:29pm On Jul 11, 2013
Ajibam,

If you are tired of the work and you are ready to leave, TAKE A WALK. Forget about the service bond nonsense. This is Nigeria. The same India can owe you 2 years salary without you knowing how to address it.

it is crude and a lot of people will disagree with me, but without speaking too much legal grammer , TAKE A WALK and forget about them.

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by erniok(m): 7:32pm On Jul 11, 2013
op, what binds and employer to the employee is the offer letter which you said you have not signed. as it is, you are not even a staff of that coy so the bond is null and void. still consult a lwayer for a second opinion. there are legal aid counsel offices all over the country that can offer you legal advice.

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by redsun(m): 7:37pm On Jul 11, 2013
The Chinese and the Indians are enslaving "modern" day Africans by enticing them with flimsy moneies and supreme efficiency. Buying of their resources,while the Africans run around like slaves in their own world.

It is like a spiderwed,entrapping clueless preys.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by phemocheee(m): 7:37pm On Jul 11, 2013
My guy, the same bond thing happens in a popular Nigeria bank too. Some of my friends actually left before the expiration of the bond and nothing was done about it. If you aren't finding fulfilment in this job, its really good to leave but make sure you dont leave unless you have a better offer. Back to your question, you are free to leave the employ of the indians without any unfavourable consequences. Take care
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by redsun(m): 7:45pm On Jul 11, 2013
Who approved such draconian corporate law that indiscriminately enslaves suppose free workers in their jobs,even when they don't like it?

Is there anything like universal employees basic rights in Nigeria?
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by osuntolaf: 7:57pm On Jul 11, 2013
There is no way u can be enslaved in ur fatherland except u av chosen to be. Ur emplmt conditn is contained in ur letter of apptmt. Study d provisions on terminatn nd resignatn in d emplmt letter nd take steps accordingly. What do d coy offer to pay u if it is forced to wind up? He who seek equity must do equity. Take legal counsel.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Mzspread(f): 8:02pm On Jul 11, 2013
Efemena_xy: I'm no legal practitioner but here's my two cents worth of advice:

~ First of all, whip out your Contract of Employment you were given and carefully go through the Terms of Agreement you signed up for.

~ Next, look for where they haven't honoured their end of the deal. You mentioned that part of the agreement was that they provide you with a car for ease of mobility. They haven't done that yet, even after six months. So you have a strong point here to use against them: i.e 'Breach of Contract'. If you can prove how much this has put a drain on your resources (receipts, etc), then even better.

Make a written official complaint to your employers that they haven't met up on their obligations to you with respect to providing you with transportation if you haven't already done so. Request also that they compensate you for your expenses over the last six months. Send them an email, then await their response. If after a few days you get no reply from them, then send a follow-up email. DO NOT DELETE YOUR EMAIL OR THEIR RESPONSE. It's your proof which you're hoping to use against them in your favour.

~ Secondly, go visit your doctor and explain the mental stress this job is exerting in you and how it's affecting your daily life, eg: unable to sleep at night, panic attacks, etc. You're doing this for two purposes: to get some medical help AND proof later on that you can use to exit that company on the grounds of health issues. Your doctor should keep a copy of the outcome of your visit.

~ Finally, be strong. Speak to friends and family members so they can provide you with the emotional support you need. Find the services of a good lawyer if you can too for more advice on what you can do and the options available to you.

Best of luck! Matured woman,matured mind,matured words...I love ur sense of reasoning!

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 11, 2013
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by indianin9ja(m): 8:04pm On Jul 11, 2013
redsun: The Chinese and the Indians are enslaving "modern" day Africans by enticing them with flimsy moneies and supreme efficiency. Buying of their resources,while the Africans run around like slaves in their own world.

It is like a spiderwed,entrapping clueless preys.

Stop spreading hate. Go work for Nigerian-owned businesses then.

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by kushe: 8:08pm On Jul 11, 2013
@Natasha

People will never realise the value of truth till its consequence strikes them.Are Nigerian graduates lazy?In my own assessment,absolutely with a capital A.how about their sense of entitlement? These bunch of poorly educated so called stars(especially the ones post NYSC)attend job interviews and mention sums they intend to earn,sums that are so divergent from their numerical abilities.They hardly can write a decent letter with the right tenses,can hardly think backwards to solve a simple problem and yet they feel they deserve the world.If I have not met and interviewed a whole bunch of them then I would be totally unfair right now but it is just pathetic how bad our products are and Natasha ,let them crucify you,your tone was stern but absolutely required.
To those of you shouting Indian this,Indian that,go outside the shores of this country and sign any form of bond with the intention to breach it and get schooled in what the word 'cicilized' means.We all talk about your word being your bond and not reneging on a promise made.Haven't you ever heard that you can't eat your cake and have it?You signed a bond that stipulated the terms of your release.if you are not happy,guy produce the 250k and stop immersing the reputation of those of us that intend to live right in the mire of a perceived morally bankrupt existence.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by mrking3(m): 8:16pm On Jul 11, 2013
natasha: I will tell you that jobs are hard to come by, so also is keeping a job. There isnt an easy job. Even oil/banking/political jobs have alot of stress attached to it. If you are complaining that you work in the rain and sun (yet you hv a guaranteed income montgly irrespectively of your target met) i am sorry to say this; you are LAZY. Very lazy and a typical epitome of the nigerian graduate who feels the world owes them the right to a xushy, well paying stress free job.
Do you know how many hours the kids who hawk water/buns etc put in daily even at the weekends all for a meagre 200# naira at the end od the day? In the rain, sun, cold, they endure daily hazards like people stealing their wares, sexual harrassments from all sorts, injuries from feckless drivers.
Let me give you examples of life in d uk, there are people who work odd jobs in freezing conditions (-4 degrees typical weather condition for my city) here and end up sleeping on a couch at the end of the night just so they can save up and send money to take care of their responsibilities back home as well as meet the demanda of extended family membera/relatives like you.
I would advise yoj to suck it up, man up, stop acting like a spoilt child and learn to be thankful that you have a job despite you little work experience instead of conplaining that they didnt give you a car. Do you think its cheap maintaining a car? You need to stop this attitude of self entitlement and change your mentality. For someone who has already earned 600k in 6 months and cant boast of a 5% savings na wa o. Afraid she is catching me (as sum1 i know wld say).
Take what u can if u can from my words and i wish u well.
bros you sound so harsh and authoritative!!! No one is perfect!! I expect you to be mild on him and not compounding his problems! He actually took †ђξ job on duress! Which is normal due to †ђξ unemployment situation in Nigeria. You A̶̲̥̅̊я̲̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ not in his shoes to know exactly what he's passing through!!! He needs good counsel and advice and not harsh words pls!!! †ђξ first person to comment to me, sounds more matured and reasonable that this trash you spewd here!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by favinvest: 8:18pm On Jul 11, 2013
Why are u guys worrying ur self abt bond. Omo this is naija collect ur end of month pay and waka that same day without dropping letter.

Why are we afraid to sack our bosses sef? Why...

They jst create fear of d unknown inside u.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by lovejo(m): 8:18pm On Jul 11, 2013
If term of contract require that they will provide you a car and after 6 month they failed to do that and you quit , you have a legal claim for contract agreement not been honour by your employer.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by texaco1: 8:23pm On Jul 11, 2013
grin grin grin
this is a fake story ,
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 11, 2013
indianin9ja:

Stop spreading hate. Go work for Nigerian-owned businesses then.
animal go back to India .

4 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Hove: 8:44pm On Jul 11, 2013
I work 4 an indian firm too where evry staff lament so bitterly, we hv no choice hweva we hope 4 d bxt, no bonds attached though.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by erniok(m): 8:48pm On Jul 11, 2013
kushe: @Natasha

People will never realise the value of truth till its consequence strikes them.Are Nigerian graduates lazy?In my own assessment,absolutely with a capital A.how about their sense of entitlement? These bunch of poorly educated so called stars(especially the ones post NYSC)attend job interviews and mention sums they intend to earn,sums that are so divergent from their numerical abilities.They hardly can write a decent letter with the right tenses,can hardly think backwards to solve a simple problem and yet they feel they deserve the world.If I have not met and interviewed a whole bunch of them then I would be totally unfair right now but it is just pathetic how bad our products are and Natasha ,let them crucify you,your tone was stern but absolutely required.
To those of you shouting Indian this,Indian that,go outside the shores of this country and sign any form of bond with the intention to breach it and get schooled in what the word 'cicilized' means.We all talk about your word being your bond and not reneging on a promise made.Haven't you ever heard that you can't eat your cake and have it?You signed a bond that stipulated the terms of your release.if you are not happy,guy produce the 250k and stop immersing the reputation of those of us that intend to live right in the mire of a perceived morally bankrupt existence.

pray tell me what cicilized means. while at that, why was it convenient to forget that the said coy reneged on its agreement to take care of mobility?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Certification's Are Important For A Business Administration Graduate / Public Relations Career / Which Of These Skills Should I Go For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.