Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,563 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" (16533 Views)

Mistreatment Of Employees By Indian Company's In Nigeria / Are Indian Bosses In Nigeria That Bad??? / Please Advise,am I Been Enslaved Or Am An Ingrate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by alpontif(m): 10:47pm On Jul 11, 2013
@ OP please follow the advice of Efemena_xy, and you wont have any problems.

Personally, since this is Nigeria,A lawless Country, I will not give a Hoot about any bond by any company.Moreso If said Company was an Indian,Lebanese or Chinese Company, dem don enter one chance be that, But thats me sha.

@ natasha, Just Thank your Lucky stars that you can sit in that chair and philosophize about How Lazy Folks who went through hell in School, Survived Cult Hits, Survived Crazy Lecturers, Survived Service Year, Survived Blood Sucking Murderous natives in their Service years....are.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 11, 2013
Find a better job and resign. I can assure you these Indians wont go to court. They don't want to be exposed. You may be supprised your company do not pay tax or they pay less than they should. Like ALL Indian companies in Nigeria they cut corners in their conduct of business. I tell you Indians wont go court. They may use police though to intimidate you but then make sure you follow Efemena's advice. Get a lawyer. It doesn't have cost you much. The lawyer may be a friend.
A friend of mine resigned from one of these Indian Pharmaceutical firms. At the point of his resignation the company owed him about N350k which they refused to pay. Because he still had access to his customers he went to one of them that was owing and collected N450k which he, of course, did not remit to the company. When the company found out they used the police to arrest him. But before his arrest his friend who is a lawyer had prepared a brief or whatever lawyers call it and had gone to court. In actual fact the lawyer simply made the Indians to believe he had gone to court. That was all. The Indians ran and gave up the fight. The lawyer found out from my friend's appointment letter that my friend was entitled to allowance of N2k every time he traveled out the city where he resides. And he makes such journeys at least 3 times a week. In 4 years this came to about N1.2m. The wicked Indians never paid these allowances to my guy. They called for out court settlement. My guy never paid the N450k. He moved on to a much better job.

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by adeyemik: 10:54pm On Jul 11, 2013
Why the fear? Once you have a good offer, don`t think about it twice resign an leave. The company will get her lawyers to write you, telling you to pay the bond amount on or before a specific date or you will be taken to court. Bros, ignore the letter and their threats. I had a similar experience, the indian company, with a Nigerian as the HR Manager, told me to pay back about 2.2 million because breached my employment exit agreement, which indeed was breached. What l did when I got the letter from their lawyer was to -
1. Identify all the areas the company has breached the employment agreement
2. Collate all the electronic mails and hard copy letters that relates to bonuses, benefits and allowances that the company had not fulfilled
3. Got a lawyer and handed over all the necessary documents to him including their 2.2 million demand letter and paid 50% of the lawyer's fees. You don't need a big time lawyer, but a good one.

My lawyer made me to understand the following -
A. It a civil matter which can last for a long time.
B. If the company want to go to court on the issue, the company must pay 10% of the amount some demanded to the court and they have to pay their lawyer as well.
C. Even if the case was decided against me, l can tell the court this is the amount l can afford to pay on a monthly basis.
D. If the company is owing me, the court will also direct them to pay me or net it out from the amount being demanded.

Having provided all what the lawyer needed, l went to sleep, because correspondence thereafter was between the two lawyers. At the end, no kobo was paid.

Don't exercise any fear. Your indian employers will never go to court

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by erniok(m): 10:55pm On Jul 11, 2013
pc guru:

My Statement was a generalized statement and not specifically to the OP, now the OP messed up by signing, so its his fault, one thing i learnt in the bank, never sign any legal document without a lawyer even as a Web Developer, because that's the easiest way to get entangled, so how can he not know what to expect by just signing away like that. That's why we have lawyers for a reason.
when i said read the op post slowly, i meant every word else you would have noticed this line: After I realised the service bond I signed I refused to sign the offer of employment letter (I still have it in my possession).

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by kushe: 10:57pm On Jul 11, 2013
It is very easy to appreciate now why an entire generation had to die in the wilderness and how only Joshua and caleb in the bible made it to the promised land.no be everybody fit follow us enter our own land of milk and honey for naija.The mindsets of our youth just no be am at all.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by erniok(m): 11:04pm On Jul 11, 2013
kushe: It is very easy to appreciate now why an entire generation had to die in the wilderness and how only Joshua and caleb in the bible made it to the promised land.no be everybody fit follow us enter our own land of milk and honey for naija.The mindsets of our youth just no be am at all.
why won't we die in the wilderness when we have people like you in the place of national leadership that want us to be slavish.

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 11, 2013
erniok:
when i said read the op post slowly, i meant every word else you would have noticed this line: After I realised the service bond I signed I refused to sign the offer of employment letter (I still have it in my possession).
Obviously i read and saw it, I 'm no lawyer so i don't know if the Offer of Employment is more binding than the Service of Bond, but according to legal laws i have come across online,breaching it causes the company to request for payment. But i think it will be easier if the OP pastes the Service of Bond here for people to find loopholes, obviously there has to be a clause for a breach of contract.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Hove: 11:20pm On Jul 11, 2013
Natasha oya position ya ynash well well we aint thru wit u. U so screwed up, infact ur goofin' no get part 2 until u write an apologetic apocalypse apology over ur jumpology. Jumpin' into matters witout proper implicit occupiance of ur dysfunctional self in d wearer's pair is tantamount to ill advisory. Oya reply wit queens english, afterall u dey obodo oyibo. Dissin' is nt a missing missile frm naija vexers.

1 Like

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Maxwell86(m): 11:24pm On Jul 11, 2013
bokmal:

very harsh words from someone that wanted to dodge NYSC: https://www.nairaland.com/493745/how-get-nysc-exemption-certificate#16748562

2000 Likes
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by redsun(m): 11:30pm On Jul 11, 2013
Shakespeare:
Well, ȋ̝̊ thinnk ȋ̝̊ like the comment. Some people are ready to jump at that kinda job, my brother, no job out here o.

The only reason why employers get away with treating Africans the way they do is that as soon as a Job is vacated by an African as a result of illtreatment,another African who is very aware of the maltreatment will jump at it.
Africans never seem to come together as one to stamp out oppression for good,they tend to capitalize on one's down fall for a chance for another miserable existence.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by bigmo1(m): 11:42pm On Jul 11, 2013
Йąh wah 4 this OP o! The contract you signed is worthless aπϑ useless. Feel free to leave that slave plantation anytime you desire. They can't sue you and you can't sue them. 99.9% of indians are crooks and they feel they are more superior to blacks. If i get the chance, ℓ̊ would slap 10 indians everyday.

4 Likes

Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by IgweOO(m): 1:56am On Jul 12, 2013
Ajibam: "I Signed Myself Into Slavery Because Of Unemployment And Now I Can't Get Out"

Please I urgently need the help of any legal practitioners. I really don't know what I've gotten my self into.

I finished NYSC last year and two months later I was interviewed for a job at an Indian owned Pharmaceutical company. After two months I was offered the job as a Medical representative. My self and all other successful applicants were given a one-week training before we were all dispatched to our different states.

Among the employment forms we were given to sign there was a SERVICE BOND form which states that "I am to work with the company for TWO YEARS or pay a sum of 250.000" I signed because of the employment situation in the country and to be honest I was desperate I couldn't afford to be unemployed I had so many family pressures I was almost becoming depressed.

I am now on the job and my people I AM SEEING HELL!!! I work tirelessly my salary is less than 100k I spend a greater amount of it on transportation(Nature of the Job as a Medical Representative I Move from one place to the other) we were promised a car for mobility but this is almost 6months and absolutely nothing is being said about it. I am under the sun under the rain working. I hate complaining because I feel it is synonymous to being ungrateful but some days I can't take it I feel like quitting on the spot!

After I realised the service bond I signed I refused to sign the offer of employment letter (I still have it in my possession). Now I'm seeking a less stressful job because honestly this one is beginning to affect my health. How do I go about this SERVICE BOND please I really need help. I can't pay that 250k I can barely save up to 20k every month infact successfully saving 10k a month is a miracle! And I can't work for another 18 months I'm not sure I will survive. Please I need Your help!

http://m.naij.com/news/39768.html

“There are instances where an agreement is considered null and void even before it’s signed and to the best of my knowledge, this is looks like one of it”.
#Im sure the service bond was written for them by a lawyer and they made you sign it on the spot without allowing you to have your own lawyer or someone of higher understanding to go through the service bond on your behalf to ensure you understand the entire clause in it, this to me means, you did not understand what you signed, which again nullifies the service bond.
#also technically, you haven’t been employed by them as you still have you employment letter. Both the service bond and signed employment letter should have both been returned and accepted earlier but when one among them is missing, it invalidates the order.
#Also, if the said bond should stand in any law court which I don’t think it would, and them not providing a favorable working condition, making you use your monetary reward (not salary because you are not employed yet) from them as a means of funding your transportation also nullifies the bond because they did not fulfill the terms of the bond.

***Whatever is shared here is my personal opinion, as such; it cannot be used directly or indirectly to adjudicate your case. I advise you seek a legal counsel/interpretation. While you are at it, remember every employer would like to learn about your employment history, so be careful how you handle this.
Cheers, wishing you all the best.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by PStacks(m): 2:25am On Jul 12, 2013
Nigerian Labour laws are weak..
If u were promised a car for mobility and its 6 months already and nobody is talking about it, that in itself is a Breach of Contract! You hav that to hold on to should u decide to do something drastic..
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by IgweOO(m): 2:33am On Jul 12, 2013
Igwe OO:

“There are instances where an agreement is considered null and void even before it’s signed and to the best of my knowledge, this is looks like one of it”.
#Im sure the service bond was written for them by a lawyer and they made you sign it on the spot without allowing you to have your own lawyer or someone of higher understanding to go through the service bond on your behalf to ensure you understand the entire clause in it, this to me means, you did not understand what you signed, which again nullifies the service bond.
#also technically, you haven’t been employed by them as you still have you employment letter. Both the service bond and signed employment letter should have both been returned and accepted earlier but when one among them is missing, it invalidates the order.
#Also, if the said bond should stand in any law court which I don’t think it would, and them not providing a favorable working condition, making you use your monetary reward (not salary because you are not employed yet) from them as a means of funding your transportation also nullifies the bond because they did not fulfill the terms of the bond.

***Whatever is shared here is my personal opinion, as such; it cannot be used directly or indirectly to adjudicate your case. I advise you seek a legal counsel/interpretation. While you are at it, remember every employer would like to learn about your employment history, so be careful how you handle this.
Cheers, wishing you all the best.

Just to add to my comment above, as you wrote, the bond states that you would pay them back some money if you resigned before the end of 2 years, in the content of the bond, is there any where it stated what you would be rewarded with if you stayed the 2 years with them? If there is nothing like that in the bond, then the bond is null and void as it was not fit for all even before it was signed.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by tinnymerit(m): 2:56am On Jul 12, 2013
natasha: I will tell you that jobs are hard to come by, so also is keeping a job. There isnt an easy job. Even oil/banking/political jobs have alot of stress attached to it. If you are complaining that you work in the rain and sun (yet you hv a guaranteed income montgly irrespectively of your target met) i am sorry to say this; you are LAZY. Very lazy and a typical epitome of the nigerian graduate who feels the world owes them the right to a cushy, well paying stress free job.
Do you know how many hours the kids who hawk water/buns etc put in daily even at the weekends all for a meagre 200# naira at the end of the day? In the rain, sun, cold, they endure daily hazards like people stealing their wares, sexual harrassments from all sorts, injuries from feckless drivers.
Let me give you examples of life in d uk, there are people who work odd jobs in freezing conditions (-4 degrees typical weather condition for my city) here and end up sleeping on a couch at the end of the night just so they can save up and send money to take care of their responsibilities back home as well as meet the demands of extended family members/relatives like you.
I would advise you to suck it up, man up, stop acting like a spoilt child and learn to be thankful that you have a job despite your little work experience instead of conplaining that they didnt give you a car. Do you think its cheap maintaining a car? You need to stop this attitude of self entitlement and change your mentality. For someone who has already earned 600k in 6 months and cant boast of a 5% savings na wa o. Afraid she is catching me (as sum1 i know wld say).
Take what u can if u can from my words and i wish u well.
You are talking as if you have worked with them before.Well my guy,the indians are the most timid people in the world especially when they are in our soil enslaving us.Thats what happened too when they bought airtel nigeria and slashed workers salary by 300 percent.Gather enough faults of theirs(inability to provide some things for you as promised),get a good lawyer to threaten them they will softpedal and allow you to go.If you dont know indians work like hell without stopping.Most resume at work around 9 am and close by 10/11pm.Ask me how i got the info,its because am presently living in india for 6 months now.Even some of their school children go to school on saturdays.They only rest on sundays working with a meager of 60k after working for 8or 9 yrs.An mtech graduates earns ard 30k for a start.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by tinnymerit(m): 3:02am On Jul 12, 2013
[quote author=big mo]Йąh wah 4 this OP o! The contract you signed is worthless aπϑ useless. Feel free to leave that slave plantation anytime you desire. They can't sue you and you can't sue them. 99.9% of indians are crooks and they feel they are more superior to blacks. If i get the chance, ℓ̊ would slap 10 indians everyday.[/quote
Guy you are very right,even in hyderabad here they are being beaten by naija guys,dey can try rubbish with oda africans but naija area boys beat them anywhere(buses,roads etc).So to the op just walk out on them they are the most timid people ever known.Grow some nerves and kick their assses if needs arises.safe.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by IseOluwa777(m): 6:18am On Jul 12, 2013
It's amazing what some of these companies do..
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by chegson: 7:32am On Jul 12, 2013
natasha: I will tell you that jobs are hard to come by, so also is keeping a job. There isnt an easy job. Even oil/banking/political jobs have alot of stress attached to it. If you are complaining that you work in the rain and sun (yet you hv a guaranteed income montgly irrespectively of your target met) i am sorry to say this; you are LAZY. Very lazy and a typical epitome of the nigerian graduate who feels the world owes them the right to a cushy, well paying stress free job.
Do you know how many hours the kids who hawk water/buns etc put in daily even at the weekends all for a meagre 200# naira at the end of the day? In the rain, sun, cold, they endure daily hazards like people stealing their wares, sexual harrassments from all sorts, injuries from feckless drivers.
Let me give you examples of life in d uk, there are people who work odd jobs in freezing conditions (-4 degrees typical weather condition for my city) here and end up sleeping on a couch at the end of the night just so they can save up and send money to take care of their responsibilities back home as well as meet the demands of extended family members/relatives like you.
I would advise you to suck it up, man up, stop acting like a spoilt child and learn to be thankful that you have a job despite your little work experience instead of conplaining that they didnt give you a car. Do you think its cheap maintaining a car? You need to stop this attitude of self entitlement and change your mentality. For someone who has already earned 600k in 6 months and cant boast of a 5% savings na wa o. Afraid she is catching me (as sum1 i know wld say).

Truth is always very bitter.
Amyway, he that has ears...............

Take what u can if u can from my words and i wish u well.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by doplove(m): 7:57am On Jul 12, 2013
You really don't need to worry about the service bond, whenever you are feed up just walk out. You'll also not pay the so called Indian firm a dime. Don't mind any advice about how difficult it is to get job, by the way the people that gets better paid ones do not have two heads. Please post your email lets take it from there or send me email at doplove@gmail.com. Good luck!
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by hunkydory(m): 8:02am On Jul 12, 2013
Efemena_xy: I'm no legal practitioner but here's my two cents worth of advice:

~ First of all, whip out your Contract of Employment you were given and carefully go through the Terms of Agreement you signed up for.

~ Next, look for where they haven't honoured their end of the deal. You mentioned that part of the agreement was that they provide you with a car for ease of mobility. They haven't done that yet, even after six months. So you have a strong point here to use against them: i.e 'Breach of Contract'. If you can prove how much this has put a drain on your resources (receipts, etc), then even better.

Make a written official complaint to your employers that they haven't met up on their obligations to you with respect to providing you with transportation if you haven't already done so. Request also that they compensate you for your expenses over the last six months. Send them an email, then await their response. If after a few days you get no reply from them, then send a follow-up email. DO NOT DELETE YOUR EMAIL OR THEIR RESPONSE. It's your proof which you're hoping to use against them in your favour.

~ Secondly, go visit your doctor and explain the mental stress this job is exerting in you and how it's affecting your daily life, eg: unable to sleep at night, panic attacks, etc. You're doing this for two purposes: to get some medical help AND proof later on that you can use to exit that company on the grounds of health issues. Your doctor should keep a copy of the outcome of your visit.

~ Finally, be strong. Speak to friends and family members so they can provide you with the emotional support you need. Find the services of a good lawyer if you can too for more advice on what you can do and the options available to you.

Best of luck!

Are you sure you are not a lawyer? cool
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by oneblacboi: 8:32am On Jul 12, 2013
[size=14pt]WALK OUT OF THE CONTRACT! NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN.[/size]
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by rajkard: 8:57am On Jul 12, 2013
Ajibam: "I Signed Myself Into Slavery Because Of Unemployment And Now I Can't Get Out"

Please I urgently need the help of any legal practitioners. I really don't know what I've gotten my self into.

I finished NYSC last year and two months later I was interviewed for a job at an Indian owned Pharmaceutical company. After two months I was offered the job as a Medical representative. My self and all other successful applicants were given a one-week training before we were all dispatched to our different states.

Among the employment forms we were given to sign there was a SERVICE BOND form which states that "I am to work with the company for TWO YEARS or pay a sum of 250.000" I signed because of the employment situation in the country and to be honest I was desperate I couldn't afford to be unemployed I had so many family pressures I was almost becoming depressed.

I am now on the job and my people I AM SEEING HELL!!! I work tirelessly my salary is less than 100k I spend a greater amount of it on transportation(Nature of the Job as a Medical Representative I Move from one place to the other) we were promised a car for mobility but this is almost 6months and absolutely nothing is being said about it. I am under the sun under the rain working. I hate complaining because I feel it is synonymous to being ungrateful but some days I can't take it I feel like quitting on the spot!

After I realised the service bond I signed I refused to sign the offer of employment letter (I still have it in my possession). Now I'm seeking a less stressful job because honestly this one is beginning to affect my health. How do I go about this SERVICE BOND please I really need help. I can't pay that 250k I can barely save up to 20k every month infact successfully saving 10k a month is a miracle! And I can't work for another 18 months I'm not sure I will survive. Please I need Your help!

you don't need any lawyer or godfather to bail out. if you are ready to go, just stop working and thats it. They won't come after you, i promise you that. The least they want is a court case, signing of bond is against LABOUR LAW and they know they don't have any intention of keeping their end of the agreement. If I so like any job, I sign any shit you give me and zoom at any available opportunity.

http://m.naij.com/news/39768.html
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by hayo(m): 9:07am On Jul 12, 2013
I can't blame you for taking the job - most people would in your circumstances.
Be assured- you have nothing to fear! The only reason their argument would hold water is if they gave you a lump sum as sign on fee but these kind of slave camps called companies can't even do that. Immediately you are ready to leave - just resign, in fact giving notice in such a company is suicidal as they will stress your life. Just make sure you return any equipment they may have given you and get a signed document stating same. After that, you can resign by email.

I won't give such advice if you are working in a company that has human face and treat people like humans. Even good men treat animals better. Nigeria needs a total overhaul of the labour law. Such things should not be happening in this age and times.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by diehard1: 9:50am On Jul 12, 2013
1.They cannot do anything, they have also failed to honour their own part. The worst that can happen is that you will go to court and agree that you are owing. Arrange terms of payment. You can agree to be paying 10naira every month. grin grin Don't let this bother you. It is no problem. Look for better jobs but never agree to pay if you can or pay based on terms as I advised above wink
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Memyselfu2009(m): 10:27am On Jul 12, 2013
Getting a job in Nigeria is no beans I don't blame Natasha every body is entitle to his or her opinion to me first u have to still work for that Indian company then look for another better job when you get it make a switch staying unemployed is not the best paying 250k withing a year would not kill you.
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Aringon(m): 10:40am On Jul 12, 2013
OP, you have to go through a process to becoming a better sales person in future, I am not supporting the " slavery" stuff but since you have stated that, the management hasn't kept the part of the employment by providing a car(I wonder if it was stated in your employment letter), then send a mail reminding them of this. I want to ask if you are the only Medical Representative complaining or others have joined in this? If others have joined, it will be better but if you are alone, you better sit up and free your mind and do your work
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by longjon: 12:00pm On Jul 12, 2013
You just said you haven't signed the employment letter...
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: animal go back in India .

for once, i don't feel like strangling you!
btw, when you go take me out na? gorilla head peppersoup on my mind! kiss kiss
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by longjon: 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2013
Any way I advise you get another job b4 walking away from this one
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Toppiano(m): 1:22pm On Jul 12, 2013
adwem2003: This is a very simple case. Just commit an offence that is unpardonable, they will chase you themselves. grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" by Toppiano(m): 1:37pm On Jul 12, 2013
My brief summarized advice is:

If they pay their salary as and when due, and you truly know you want to quit. Collect your salary and disappear.
If they dont pay on time, seek a loan that you can pay back. When their balance is equal to your salary, you disappear.
If you have saved enough, you can just walk away

Be fair, dont cheat them but never allow yourself to be cheated!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Public Relations Career / Which Of These Skills Should I Go For? / What Certification's Are Important For A Business Administration Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.