Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,355 members, 7,780,954 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:20 AM

How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? (1851 Views)

Where Do You Spend More Time At Night... INTERNET Or ASLEEP !!! / Meet Myla Sinanaj –the Lady Planning To Spend $30,000just To Look Like Kim K / Original CD/DVD Music and Movies in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by creativitywatch(f): 10:33am On Jul 12, 2013
I want to raise a nagging moral issue that has been on my mind for a while. How many Nigerians will on principle pay the right amount for a CD/DVD as opposed to buying a pirated one?
I am raising this because I know of a struggling up-coming musician who invested close to a million on his debut album. He paid so much on production: session time, session musicians, producer/engineer’s fee, graphic artist, cost of distribution, professional photographer and promotion cost.
He incurred all the above listed expenses and more in the cause of producing the CD. Eventually, the CD was released at the price of N1, 500 (one thousand, five hundred naira). This price was calculated to enable him make a profit and recoup his investment. It represented the minimum price at which any of the above can be achieved.
Unfortunately, sales of the CD were abysmally low because as soon as it was released, copies were pirated and sold for N200 (two hundred naira) in major cities of Nigeria.
Consequently, he is finding it extremely difficult to make a living and survive pursuing a musical career. He is discouraged and is on the brink of abandoning his dream; which is a shame because he has serious musical talents and would have been an asset to the Nigeria music industry.
This pathetic scenario is a reflection of the average Nigerian artist….it takes me right back to my opening poser: “HOW MUCH WILL YOU SPEND ON BUYING AN ORIGINAL CD/DVD OF YOUR FAVOURITE MUSIC OR MOVIE” HOW MUCH WILL YOU SPEND TO KEEP ALIVE THE DREAM OF A BUDDING TALENT IS THERE ANY NIGERIAN OUT THERE WHO ON PRINCIPLE WILL CHOOSE TO PAY THE RIGHT AMOUNT FOR AN ORIGINAL CD AS OPPOSED TO BUYING CHEAP PIRATED COPY
AND FOR THOSE NIGERIANS WHO PERSIST IN BUYING CHEAP PIRATED COPIES, DO THEY REALIZE THEY ARE DEFRAUDING CREATIVE INTELLIGENT NIGERIANS OF THEIR JUST REWARD AND ARE PARTY TO DESTROYING OUR CREATIVE INDUSTRY
Nigerians, what are your thoughts on this issue?
Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by Afam4eva(m): 2:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
Piracy is a very big isssue in Nigeria and the entertainment industry has beeen fighting it assiduosly but the've been achieving minimal results. That's why some artiste now decide that the best thing to do is to work these pirates and come to an agreement. Apart from that, Artistes don't really make money from the sale of their songs. They make money from the endorsements and shows that come after their songs have become popular. That's why you see that almost every songs nowadays are up for free download. I also think the price your friend fixed for the sing is not reasonable. I don't know how many people with pay over a thousand for a cd.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by creativitywatch(f): 3:21pm On Jul 17, 2013
Afam,

Are you saying artistes shouldn’t recoup their investments in the pursuit of their musical career and is that morally justifiable? What’s wrong with making profits from diverse portfolios? And what happens to up-coming artistes like my friend, who have not built up a fan base and are still trying to attain or secure public recognition? Obviously at this stage there is no income to be made from endorsements and live performances.

By the way, are you in the entertainment industry because you sound as if you know a bit about piracy?
Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by creativitywatch(f): 11:28am On Jul 18, 2013
Afam4eva your response please
Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by ngoter: 3:40pm On Jul 18, 2013
Interactions with friends within and outside the entertainment industry has revealed to me that a lot of awareness needs to be created on copyright issues in the country.It is really appalling when one discovers that many Nigerians don't consider piracy as a criminal activity.
Ignorance about respect for copyright and the economic benefits of protecting works for the benefit of artistes is a major worry that needs to be addressed by stakeholders in the entertainment industry.
My take on the poser raised is that artistes need to be encouraged to remain creative.I will prefer to buy a quality CD to encourage the budding artiste for at least N500.
A pirated CD may not kill like fake drugs but it can spoil your VCD player
A pirated CD may not kill like fake drugs but it can kill creativity
A pirated CD may not kill like fake drugs but it can create a hole in your pocket
Encourage my budding artiste so he can create good music, write good books, and produce good films.Shikena!

3 Likes

Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by maavo: 2:54pm On Jul 19, 2013
In this present Nigeria where over half of the population can hardly eat three square meal, it practically unrealistic to spend a whole N1, 500 on a CD, DVD or VCD flat.
In fact how does one identify an original CD, DVD, and VCD? 2. What makes them original? What, who and how is the cost determined? These and many issues needs to be addressed, as the hunger to enjoy good music and watch good film of artists and the present economic realities in this country leave many with little or no other option.
Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by darlingfelix92n: 9:01pm On Jul 19, 2013
This is really sad and pathetic! A lot of Nigerians cannot even afford three square meals talk less of buying an original CD for N1,500. The prices of these CDs should be reduced so that the
Ordinary man on the street can afford to buy them.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 1 Like
Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by goodwork: 10:45am On Jul 22, 2013
maavo: In this present Nigeria where over half of the population can hardly eat three square meal, it practically unrealistic to spend a whole N1, 500 on a CD, DVD or VCD flat.
In fact how does one identify an original CD, DVD, and VCD? 2. What makes them original? What, who and how is the cost determined? These and many issues needs to be addressed, as the hunger to enjoy good music and watch good film of artists and the present economic realities in this country leave many with little or no other option.

I will buy at the rate of N500
Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by adaoradubem: 12:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
The trend is really worrisome. I feel for the artistes and creators generally, especially the upcoming ones considering that the end of this seems not to be in sight in view of the country's harsh economic realities. But this certainly shouldnt continue.Government must find a way of stepping in to encourage these artistes, financially i mean, and supporting the industry more. There should of course be more proactive sensitization and public education by the regulating authorities and stakeholders alike. God help us.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by oyedoll: 2:44pm On Jul 22, 2013
That is a pathetic situation your up-coming musician friend is in; i think the necessary government agencies and stakeholders should come together and chart a course for the way forward. so that the future artistes will live and dreams and keep the country's flag flying especially in the age of knowledge-driven economies.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by creativitywatch(f): 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
@ darlynfelix92n, Maavo and goodwork, while we sympathise with the socio-economic realities of the average Nigerian, one cannot for any reason, justify Intellectual Property (IP) theft and clearly, this is what Piracy is about….would you, because you cannot afford an article of interest in a shop, shop-lift?

Maavo and goodwork, to answer your question on how to identify original CDs, VCDs and DVDs: the Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC), prescribed the mandatory use of the SID (Source Identification) Code adopted and managed by the International Federation of Phonographic Industries (IFPI), an international organization representing the recording industry worldwide, to assist in the prevention of optical disc piracy. The SID codes consist of two types of codes: a Mastering (LBR) Code that identifies the Plant that manufactures the master (Stamper); and a Mould Code that identifies the plant where the disc is replicated. Both codes consist of either four or five digit codes preceded by the letters “IFPI”. The Commission issues the SID code to all Mastering Facilities and Optical Discs Manufacturing and Replicating Plants upon their application. In summary, the SID Code is a primary identification mechanism.

However, you find that some artistes, short-change themselves by not going through registered optical discs plants, they produce and duplicate their works by themselves and by so doing, omit the SID Code that would have helped in differentiating original works from the pirated ones and therby empowering pirates, some more.

In answering your second question, I would say that cost is determined by how much the artist has invested into the production of his work. To produce an album, you will pay for: session time, session musicians, producer/engineer’s fee, graphic artist, cost of distribution, professional photographer and promotion cost. These expenses and more, is what will determine the minimum amount at which the Music CD/DVD/VCD will be sold. And not the socio-economic realities of Nigerians.

If you cannot justify any form of theft, while pleading socio-economic realities, because when people steal, they often claim it is as a result of poverty; why then, should there be any justification for piracy or any other form of IP theft, which is all about defrauding artistes/authors/creators of their economic and moral rights?

3 Likes

Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by maavo: 2:29pm On Jul 26, 2013
Quite an insight you have given, Thanks Creativitywatch.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by creativitywatch(f): 9:13am On Jul 29, 2013
Thanks Maavo, you are welcome!
Re: How Much Will You Spend On Buying An Original Cd/dvd??? by nex(m): 9:43am On Jul 29, 2013
In terms of Audio CDs of musicians albums, it depends on how good the previous singles released by the artiste before album is out. I bought the "FIRSTEPS" album by Ego from Lagbaja's band for N1000 earlier in the year, and I bought the "SUPERSUN" album by Bez a couple of years ago for N1500.

I personally believe that any artiste who knows that they've created an album of quality music would not sell it for cheap. In order for me to be able to review music from various other artistes who mainly churn out meaningless songs, I used to purchase the N150 copies just to have a listen and write my review, but since I learnt that they even consider that as a good sale, I resorted to borrowing. I'm not buying any musical Audio CD which cost less than N500 anymore! It definitely contains crap.

(1) (Reply)

Allegations Of Rape Haunt Bill Cosby In The Digital Age / Iroko/jason Njoku V. Afrinolly Lawsuit: “even Though Mr. Bully-man Iroko ..A.M.L / Tread For Wrestling Fans - Punk Faces Ryback In Hell In A Cell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.