Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,088 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity (36118 Views)

Joseph Babatunde-Adu, 'Jab Adu', Is Dead / Yoruba Comic Actor Olaitan Babatunde aka 'Langogo' Dies In Ibadan [pictured] / Don Jazzy Pictured With Babatunde Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by OldGlory1(m): 1:31pm On Jul 12, 2006
Spike

Then i am sorry i cannot help you think. You might have to find help somewhere else. Try (Sarcasm). I was responding to post #22, the first paragraph. If this doesn't help then i guess you have to move on.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by spikedcylinder: 1:36pm On Jul 12, 2006
Oh well,too bad you cannot express yourself explicitly in English.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by bobotee(m): 7:02pm On Jul 12, 2006
I would really like to know who this guy is. is he a Nigerian or not? I beg someone should help me out, i am doing a compilation of Nigerians in diaspora who are involved in movie and music industries in other parts of the world.
Thanx.
Taiwo
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by bobotee(m): 7:09pm On Jul 12, 2006
I would really like to know who this guy is. is he a Nigerian or not? I beg someone should help me out, i am doing a compilation of Nigerians in diaspora who are involved in movie and music industries in other parts of the world.
Thanx.
Taiwo
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by chinani(f): 11:37pm On Jul 12, 2006
Old Glory:

He(Obba) is not even Nigerian by any stretch of the imagination. If Layi is looking for someone to look up to, i suggest he starts with Bono, or our real and only Black president William Jefferson Clinton.
So this man can't be African/Nigerian but Bill Clinton is black? Please quit. Please.

Just 'cause Billy Boy plays the saxophone & bleeps w/ ugly white girls doesn't make him black. The mere suggestion is offensive. People can be allies w/o being "race traitors". Come on folks, let's be more progressive than this ish.

dafman:

How many rich Nigerians have donated even 1% of their wealth to anything other than chieftaincy titles and vain glory.
Nice post Dafman. This spoke to me the most. Sad but true. . .
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by OldGlory1(m): 11:53pm On Jul 12, 2006
Chinani

Of course you know that i was being sarcastic. But since nothing passes your ego, Bill Clinton was a black president because during and since his presidency, he has done more for "Black Africa" than any non-African has done. I can argue that he did more for Africa than most African Presidents have done or are doing. From Debt Relief to Poverty and AIDS he is a rock star not because he plays the saxophone or because he did not sleep with you, but for his actions while in government and since leaving office. Many Black folks in Black Africa and in the Diaspora respect him for his actions not for his bed manners or musical skills. Obba Babatunde is a "Nigerian named US Born and bred actor" and i should give him credence? Y
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by chinani(f): 12:04am On Jul 13, 2006
Old Glory:

Chinani

Of course you know that i was being sarcastic. But since nothing passes your ego, Bill Clinton was a black president because during and since his presidency, he has done more for "Black Africa" than any non-African has done. I can argue that he did more for Africa than most African Presidents have done or are doing. From Debt Relief to Poverty and AIDS he is a rock star not because he plays the saxophone or because he did not sleep with you, but for his actions while in government and since leaving office. Many Black folks in Black Africa and in the Diaspora respect him for his actions not for his bed manners or musical skills. Obba Babatunde is a "Nigerian named US Born and bred actor" and i should give him credence? Y
No I didn't know you were being sarcastic. And no, nothing makes it past my ego. . .perhaps you meant that as an insult, no matter.

Anyhow no, Bill Clinton is not & was not a Black President. Doing things for Africa does not make someone "black". It can make them "great" "good", "charitable" but no, it can't make them "black". Does doing something great for children make a man a child himself? The US gives nearly $4million/annually to Israel as a gift. Does that make the US a Jewish govt or Jewish state? The only people who think "yes" are neo-Nazis. What's your own opinoin? You must have one sha. I know nothing makes it past your ego.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by OldGlory1(m): 2:34am On Jul 13, 2006
Whatever the Bleep ever. I said Bill Clinton not the US Government. The US Govt gives Billions of $'s to Africa too. But Bill Gates gives his own money, so does Steven Spielberg,Larry Ellison gives tens of millions of dollars, Warren Buffet just made history a week or so ago. These people do not need African sounding names to make things happen. Oprah does not need an African name for her to do good with her fame and money. My point is we should give credit where credit is due. We claim he is Nigerian because he has a Nigerian sounding name. His ancestry may not even come from today's Nigeria. Why should i even care about his name. And yeah girl check your ego at the door, then make your point. I know you want to be heard.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by chinani(f): 8:19pm On Jul 13, 2006
Old Glory:

Whatever the Bleep ever. I said Bill Clinton not the US Government. The US Govt gives Billions of $'s to Africa too. But Bill Gates gives his own money, so does Steven Spielberg,Larry Ellison gives tens of millions of dollars, Warren Buffet just made history a week or so ago. These people do not need African sounding names to make things happen. Oprah does not need an African name for her to do good with her fame and money. My point is we should give credit where credit is due. We claim he is Nigerian because he has a Nigerian sounding name. His ancestry may not even come from today's Nigeria. Why should i even care about his name. And yeah girl check your ego at the door, then make your point. I know you want to be heard.
I didn't say that we shouldn't give credit. I said that giving credit doesn't change identities. I gave little opinoin about Obba Babatunde so read well well. Check your bullshit.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by debosky(m): 8:26pm On Jul 13, 2006
now now, peeps calm down

this isnt about clinton or the US govt

i agree with dafman that we should give more credit to those who give back to their homeland

BUT, I think we should still celebrate genuine and honest success wherever we see it , since if a nigerian/african is

well known as being honestly successful, then it rubs off positively and thats a conribution, at

least in terms of the way we are percieved by outsiders

just my 2 cents
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by bluenubian(f): 8:34pm On Jul 13, 2006
jus passing through, already said my piece on the topic, had to say hey to ma baby boi, was up debo kiss kiss
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by debosky(m): 8:36pm On Jul 13, 2006
as usual ur contributions are intelligent wink

*i see u're at work now hun kiss kiss*
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by OldGlory1(m): 8:37pm On Jul 13, 2006
debosky

The man in an AMERICAN with a Nigerian sounding Name. Am i missing something here or are we all crazy? He found that his Ancestry "Maybe" Traced to Nigeria and we should be happy? I guess we will claim anyone as a Nigerian, as long as they are successful and have an American Passport. Former Congressman/Former NAACP Chairman Kwesi Mfume changed his name, did a lot for Africa and Africans, we should actually acknowledge him before this brother from Queens, NY.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by debosky(m): 8:40pm On Jul 13, 2006
dude i didn't say claim anyone who calls himself nigerian, i said IF he's nigerian and he's successful, he should be

celebrated period, not whether his name is african sounding or not

besides, whats your beef with the dude? he's successful, it does naija no harm if he's associated with us newayz

its a non-issue in my opinion
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by OldGlory1(m): 8:45pm On Jul 13, 2006
Debosky

My problem is "Misplaced Priorities" in our communities. Let us celebrate people that actually contribute to the welfare of Africa. Rather than giving people the impression that this guy is a Nigerian and maybe he might help us bring hollywood to Nigeria. It is a misconception to call him a Nigerian. He is American period. He is not a "US-Based Celebrity". The topic is misleading.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by kimba(m): 10:20pm On Jul 16, 2006
hahahahaha
I wonder why we would rather argue about somebody that might not even care Nigeria exists,

Anyway, back to the topc:
The world has come to a stage whereby the mention of your name cannot be an absolute conclusion as per your citizenship. Rather than argue over Mr Obba Babatunde(honestly, if that was my name, I would still keep it coz it sounds cute and unique, even if I was not Chinese), I think we should come to grips about who we are and where we choose to belong.

We are all Mixed up. My latest info(official Nigerian diplomatic and Immigration report) is that a lot of foreigners coming into Nigeria on temporary visas are getting Nigerian citizenship cheap and easy. Who is helping them? Nigerians of course, interested in making money. Lebanese, a lot of asians(Chinese and Malaysians), Britons, Indians. I have an indian friend, who came to Nigeria(on a 2-years work-permit visa) with his wife 7-months ago. Their first child, a girl just popped out, and guess what my guy was asking me: "Can I get her Nigerian citizenship"? First, im like, what da so i ask him: why would you want to get her a Nigerian citizenship. So he goes to tell me a long story, in conclusion, they are planning to stay-put in Nigeria even after his 2-years is over, because he is already seeing business opportunities. So he wants to get her a Nigerian citizenship, to further butress his interest to stay in Nigeria.

Im talking total foreigners, not Nigerians returning home. This is because of the financial potentials they can forsee(which we Nigerians are blind to) and the business opportunities they are presently engaged in, in Nigeria. Now, by the time these folks die and pass-on, would you say their kids(who would rather go back to their fatherland to pick a life-partner and come back to Nigeria) are not Nigerians because they bear a Lebanese surnname(for example)? Many of these guys will eventually claim Nigeria from some bonafide Nigerians themselves.

Prediction: Lets talk 50-years time and they'll be running Nigerian politics already. If NL is still alive 50-yrs from now, pls refer to this post.

So please and kindly leave Mr Obba Babatunde, an American of Nigerian decent alone and lets focus on how we can make Nigeria a better place for you and I, and for our generations to come.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by spikedcylinder: 3:17pm On Jul 17, 2006
I think the actual purpose of this thread was to support Nigerians in diaspora who are making it in their chosen careers and professions.I dont see why people are making a biggie of this.
Old glory,do you always insult people or you're just in a mad mood these days?
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by OldGlory1(m): 5:07pm On Jul 17, 2006
Spike

Point of Correction: He is not a "Nigerian in the Diaspora" he is an American that may or may not have Nigerian ancestry. And no i am actually a happy guy.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by Orikinla(m): 5:22pm On Jul 17, 2006
If you are bored, just come on Nairaland and you would be thrilled. grin
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by omogenaija(f): 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2006
shocked shocked shocked shocked

i didnt know he was nigerian ,

i'm shocked

he is on the UPN show half and half

and i have seen him in so many movies
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by nike4luv(f): 11:29pm On Jul 27, 2006
that man is charles in half and half, hes a realy great actor, its hard to recognise those people as nigerians
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by omogenaija(f): 9:05pm On Jul 28, 2006
nike4luv:

that man is charles in half and half, hes a realy great actor, its hard to recognise those people as nigerians

yea he looks biracial
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by cuteannie: 11:31pm On Aug 15, 2006
HE IS ACTUALLY IN HALF&HALF
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by neelsel(f): 11:45am On Aug 17, 2006
Dafman thanks for making sense.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by dafman(m): 11:57am On Aug 19, 2006
neelsel:

Dafman thanks for making sense.
You're welcome Neelsel.

Looking at the mindset of most young people in Nigeria today, I wonder how we can have progress as a country. Most people just want to make money, more money and even more money, be popular, get on t.v, display your wealth, etc etc. They don't seem to want to do any other thing in life other than making money and be like the leaders we have now.

In most villages in Nigeria you can find at least one wealthy individual, but you will be surprised that apart from his Mansion and maybe a few metres of road to his private estate most of his fellow townspeople are living in abject poverty. Even a simple borehole that can be dug to provide water would be left for the government while his own compound would be a government of its own with all the amenities. He will say he is not Jesus Christ that the local government is there.

That is why most of the multinational oil companies in the Niger-Delta can afford to drill oil, pollute the farmlands, rivers, even the air and yet there will be no single developmental project in their area of operation because they claim they've paid tax.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by neelsel(f): 12:21pm On Aug 19, 2006
Dafman,(you are welcome)
It is indeed sad that men have resorted to this type of behaviour. It's a dog-eat-dog world we have now found ourselves living in. Don't be alarmed, this type of atrocity is not only prevalent in Nigeria but the world at large.
It always amaze me at how much wealth the few posses, while the poor masses suffer. As a young individual( am not Nigerian) who is very much intuned with the happenings in world, I am disgusted daily by the numerous world reports on political greed, government corruptions and the list goes on. Why? I ask myself. This was certainly not what God intended for men.
Africa, my beloved Africa (I was taught that my fore-parents were from Africa) has so many wealth, yet it bereaves me to know that it is still a third world country. This is indeed a travestry of justice.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by 9ja4eva: 6:36am On Mar 09, 2007
Nice of him
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by tijehi(f): 7:32am On Sep 03, 2008
Abeg na when dem dey come home come settle? dat na im be my question. CAPISH!
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by obiem(m): 3:35pm On Sep 03, 2008
Yeah Obba Babatunde, great actor actually his name suggests his Nigerian now! He featured in ''Life'' starring Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence,
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by PoDeep(m): 8:12pm On Sep 03, 2008
He was in Life, Bourne Identity, Get Rich Or Die Trying etc.
Real good guy.
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by poweredcom(m): 11:50pm On Nov 05, 2010
He only has a Nigerian roots but by nationality he aint fucking Nigerian, Ok, by document, Ok, ok if he is Nigerian why is he not holding our Dumb Greeen passport hahaha grin grin
Re: Obba Babatunde: US-Based Celebrity by safarigirl(f): 9:05pm On Nov 14, 2010
yay! HE'S A NIGERIAN! AND SO BLEEPING WHAT? MAKE WE FRY BEANS ABI WETIN? ABEG ABEG ABEG, THE FACT THAT HE BEARS BABATUNDE DOESN'T MAKE HIM A NIGERIAN, NEITHER DOES HAVING THE NAME CHIWETEL EJIOFOR MAKE ANYONE A NIGERIAN, THOSE ARE LOST SOULS, WE DON'T NEED THEM COS WE DIDN'T MAKE THEM.

MAYBE IF THEY HAD BECOME FAMOUS IN NAIJA WE COULD CLAIM THEM, IT'S LIKE WHEN SOUTH AFRICANS SING ABOUT CHARLIZE THERON BEING ONE OF THEIR OWN, PLEASE! STOP KISSING ASS ALREADY

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bukky Wright Is An Ageless Beauty In New Portraits / Alexreports And Esther Nwankwo Traditional Wedding Photos And Video / Ebuka Shares Pics From His Graduation As American University Honours Chimamanda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.