Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,552 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? (2495 Views)

895 Million Voters Use This Electronic Voting Machine In India(photos) / Jega Promises Improved 2015 Elections As Senator Rules Out Electronic Voting / Electronic Voting Likely In 2015 - Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by Seun(m): 1:37pm On Aug 22, 2005
"Delegates to the National Political Reform Conference (NPRC), on 1 June were treated to a demonstration of the working of the proposed electronic voting machine (EVM).

"The conference’s Committee on Political Parties and Electoral Reforms had among others recommended the use of electronic voting machine for future elections in the country for its rigging-proof mechanism."
Delegates test-run proposed electronic voting machine - Nigeriafirst

"The Independent National Electoral Commission [INEC], yesterday announced that the controversial Electronic Voting System (EVS) would be used for the 2007 elections."

"However, the deployment of the Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) that would be used as part of the EVS would depend on the outcome of a pilot project to test its desirability.

INEC Adopts Electronic Voting - Sun News Online - August 5, 2005

What's your opinion on the proposed use of Electronic Voting Machines in the upcoming 2007 Democratic elections?
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by Bibi(m): 2:14pm On Aug 22, 2005
I think Nigeria should go for e-voting. However, the system needs to be made simple enough to ensure our illiterate population can cast their votes easily. I believe this is the fear that some Nothern governors have expressed. It is surely a way foreward vs queueing (security issues) and secret ballot (open rigging).

I know that no system can eliminate rigging (courtesy of last 2 US presedential elections where votings were e-rigged), however the possiblity of reducing the magnitude of rigging is worth investing into.
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by Adetola(m): 12:13pm On Aug 24, 2005
I know that no system can eliminate rigging (courtesy of last 2 US presidential elections where votings were e-rigged), however the possibilityof reducing the magnitude of rigging is worth investing into.

I laid my hands on the prospectus cum catalogue of the EVM from Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), going by what they have displayed and the information in this prospectus, I think Nigeria will be better off with it.

This should not stop us from knowing the fact that there will surely be some shortcomings, ranging from e-rigging, multiple voting to miscalculation on the part of the machines. The only way to minimise this is, if all Ballot stations in each ward are connected to one another to one server in each LGA, then subsequently servers from the LGAs linked with one central server from the state, where all results will be released, making the state server the only authorised device to release the results at the state level. There should then be yet another single central server that connects all the state servers in the six geopolitical zones, and finally each of these zone's server connected to one centre server in the Headquarters of the electoral body. Access should be allowed for checks and balances but no modification of inputs and results. The computers should also be able to detect multiple voting and faze them out. As we all know that fingerprints are as unique as each individual, i.e. no two people have the same fingerprint, and it may even help in arresting the electorate who voted more than once). Of course this will require big-time online but wireless LAN, WAN and Internet, which is will be expensive to run. I can't explain what I mean better than this, experts in computers and ICT should help me out, if you understand what I mean.

If this or something better or related to this is ensured, then we can talk of elections being free and fair, on the basis of computer intelligence. But if na to count station by station (Ballot Station by Ballot Station) manually before results can be announced, then it will be no better from the manual voting system, in fact the manual voting would have been better.

But in general, this will be a giant stride and breakthrough for Nigeria, then the government should be thinking of e-census for accurate counting.
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by obong(m): 4:00pm On Aug 24, 2005
India's literacy rate islower than that of nigeria's and they made it work. we can do it, but the status quo wont allow it
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by Guardian(m): 11:45am On Aug 29, 2005
Dear All,
you all know the Nigeria you have ? Common National ID card they have not been able to achive. If the government had succeded with this without fraud and all the logistics problems, I would have given a word of encouragement. But in this God forsaken country where greed flows like red blood capsules in the viens of Nigeriaaaa............ SORRY NO

Mark my word It could end up worse , Someone will either steal the computer servers, corrupt the data, bribe the dataentry clerks to alter records, etc

We and India no dey the same category abeg.. technology wise, patrotic wise, corruption wise. We remain at the bottom of the table.
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by jimmyjam: 12:38am On Feb 20, 2009
lol im lauging at you people, dont you know that information technology can be manipulated lol
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by Kobojunkie: 12:41am On Feb 20, 2009
You are laughing? This thread was created in 2005, it is now 2009 and we are still dreaming of electronic voting machines! roflmao!!
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by MrCrackles(m): 12:42am On Feb 20, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You are laughing? This thread was created in 2005, it is now 2009 and we are still dreaming of electronic voting machines! roflmao!!

Buhahahaha! grin
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by VictorIfe(m): 9:12am On Jul 22, 2021
lol 2021 and we still battling with this �
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by richmond500: 9:23am On Jul 22, 2021
Lolz, 15yrs after

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 22, 2021
Electronic transmission of vote is as simple as INEC Approved snap and upload of result sheet on its platform.. same results pasted at polling units and shared online that has a physical copy backup.

What is difficult in it?
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by Igbofirstfarmer: 10:04am On Jul 22, 2021
Same story after 16 years
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by Raytheon: 10:25am On Jul 22, 2021
Almost 16 years later and we're still here because some folks in the corridors of power don't see the possibility of rigging elections.
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by LadyExcellency: 10:27am On Jul 22, 2021
What a faulty foundation. The foundation is the problem of Nigeria.

Distrust everywhere.
Re: Nigeria, INEC: Electronic Voting for Election 2007? by Sunnypa11(m): 1:35pm On Jul 22, 2021
Oga Seun, You don tey for the game ooo..

I go like make you surprise me by calling my number.

I just need to learn.

By the way, our politicians will always go for what will favour them.

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Council Of Elders Got N17.5m Bribe For Third Term - Tinubu / Excess Crude: Govs Want $3bn Shared / Minister Flown Abroad For Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.