Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

Senator Ngige Part 1 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Ngige Part 1 (1143 Views)

Uche Ekwunife Visits Chris Ngige Over The Death Of His Dad (Pic) / Fashola, Amaechi, Ngige, Onu, Lai, Kachikwu Make Ministerial List - TheCable / Ngige,ex Gov. Of Anambra Spotted As Security Of Okorocha Imo State Gov (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Ngige Part 1 by emrall: 5:47pm On Jul 13, 2013
SENATOR NGIGE PART 1

Looking through the website of the National Assembly for a glimpse of the day to day activities of the legislative arm of our government, my attention was drawn to the profiles of the three senators representing Anambra state in the upper legislative chamber, the Senate. As I savoured these curriculum vitaes, I was almost carried away by the richness of their achievements and credentials, until it occurred to me that in Nigeria, anything is possible and that all that glitters is not gold. I almost forgot that Toronto certificates could be gotten from Oluwole with only a few thousands of naira. As my foray continued, i stumble on the absence of some vital information. In the profiles of two of the three senators representing Anambra sate – Senators Chris Ngige and Andy Ubah, there was no information on as to their legislative interests and what they intend to achieve for their people! My awe was not only informed by the fact that other senators had this information highlighted, but also largely by my understanding that these are some of the major contenders for the governorship seat in Anambra state. On those columns, NA (Not Available) was boldly inscribed. It reminded me of that voice prompt which tells one that “the phone number you have called is not available at the moment” when one’s phone call fails to connect as a result of the intended receiver being out of reach.

I began to wonder the reason for this non-availability of such information. Could it be that it used to be available until recently and for some reason? Could it be that Ngige and Ubah have no areas of interest in terms of the needs of their people? Could it be that they have but do not desire to make them public knowledge? It could be that members of their constituencies are so very comfortable that they have no further needs that should capture the interests of their representatives! All attempts to rationalize this irrationality proved futile, as no sane reason could explain this anomaly. While every other senator had some reasons to work for their constituencies, in the hearts of Ngige and Ubah, our interests meant nothing. Put appropriately, our interests were not available (NA)!

So much for our interests and problems in the hearts of our senators. It’s been two years now, since Ngige has been serving as a senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District. In the course of this period, apart from a bill co-sponsored with thirty two (32) others, Senator Ngige’s presence in the House has been ephemeral at best. Our amiable representative has not been able to (I doubt if he’s attempted) conceptualise, articulate and sponsor any bill on his own. I very well recall that during his electioneering campaigns two years back, Ngige boasted that he would become a pole of attraction to all South East senators for the articulation of the interests of the South East. Two years on, Ngige has only been able to bring to the floor of the Senate, news of the demise of the literary icon, Prof. Chinua Achebe! I hope he does not expect thunderous ovations from us for that remarkable achievement. Whether or not Ngige has lived up to his promise of serving as a pole of attraction to his colleagues is unknown. What is however certain is that such attraction if at all it exists, has had practically no positive effect in the South East.

This brings me to another important issue. The primary duty of the legislature is to make laws. On that note, Ngige against all his electioneering promises has been a alarming disappointment. That apart, the legislature also carries out oversight functions. What is more, members of the legislature receive constituency development funds, quarterly, which they are expected to put into use in their constituencies, so as to improve the lives of their constituents. Since 2011 when the senator was elected, he has received a total sum of five hundred and fourty million naira. The trend in Nigeria is that politicians in spite of the outrageous salaries and benefits they receive, corner such constituency funds for personal use. While I would not wish to conclude that these funds have found their ways into Senator Ngige’s wallet (I beg you pardon. Bank accounts), one can hardly point to any constituency project funded by him. Alleging so, may therefore not be out of place.

If Senator Chris Nwabueze Ngige has neither been able to articulate bills in the Senate, nor properly utilized our constituency fund, then one wonders what the fait of Anambrarians would be if he eventually occupies government house, Awka. Little wonder why our interests are not available in his scheme of priorities.

PAFFCOMM
www.paffcomm.com

NGIGE PART 2 is on the way. Our intention is to analyse all federal and state legislators, governors and other public office holder in the federation. Ngige article will be followed by Mr. Andy Uba, Mrs. Okadigbo, House Of Representatives, Anambra Governor and Anambra governorship aspirants.

Re: Senator Ngige Part 1 by naughtybynature(f): 6:07pm On Jul 13, 2013
@op. Pls leave Ngige for us biko.the legacy he left behind in the few hours he spent in government house Awka still speaks volumes.he work or he no work come 2014 Ngige will take his rightful position in d government house. #teamngige
Re: Senator Ngige Part 1 by ACM10: 6:25pm On Jul 13, 2013
Peter Obi's attack dogs on the loose again.
Re: Senator Ngige Part 1 by emrall: 5:39am On Jul 14, 2013
Ngige part2 is still on the face book. That man is a born criminal. if Ngige is good why did he not use the constituency fund to development his constituency as stipulated by the constition of Nigeria. The money is not voted for him to spend on his own personal problems, it is not voted for him to use it as donation in the ceremonies, it is not voted for him to use it to buy cars for igwes, it is not voted for him to bank it and use for next electoral campaign. it is voted to be handed to his constituency for development. he has already collected 540 million on behalf of his constituency, what has he done with it? what project in his constituency you his deffender can proudly point he Ngige acheived with the fund voted for his constituency, just nothing.
Re: Senator Ngige Part 1 by bloggernaija: 2:10pm On Jul 14, 2013
Yawn.
Re: Senator Ngige Part 1 by Sealeddeal(m): 2:38pm On Jul 14, 2013
Dr Chris Ngige is always a criminal.he started politics criminally and i dont know what the writer of this article expect from Ngige who is already known for his ill political ideal
Re: Senator Ngige Part 1 by ACM10: 5:17pm On Jul 14, 2013
Only a tree that produces fruits that gets stoned. Ngige ride on.
Re: Senator Ngige Part 1 by dubem3(m): 8:09pm On Jul 14, 2013
in as much as I do not know the reason behind this write up and cannot vouche for its veracity, I've always had my reservations about Ngige and if It were in my place, I would tell him to forget the government house.
He has already made a name for himself and the only way to preserve it is by aiming a neutral position, offering advice and receiving royalty.
Mark my words of he mistakenly steps for into that government house, that's the end of his iconic status.

(1) (Reply)

Rivers State House Of Assembly Has Officially Be Taken Over / Lagos And Niger Delta’s Oil / Breakaway PDP Actions Justified - Anenih

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.