Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (517063 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:43pm On Aug 03, 2013
savemysoul: Dear Visa officer,
i need your professional guidance,i got a student visa for 2 years in 2011 unfortunately i lost my sponsor after few weeks of my arrival, we were doing orientation then,so i had to defer my admission and return back home ,knowing fully well that i can't pay by myself and i have a fairly good job at home.
Now i want to reapply for study( masters) in a different school because my deferment has expired.my question is do i reapply for a new student visa or apply for re-newal.
thank you for taking your time to respond.

Greetings! According to my colleague, you do need to apply for a whole new student visa. "We can't issue student visa without a valid I-20 from the school they will attend. If this person was a continuing student going from BA to MA [at the same school] then he wouldn't need to reapply for SEVIS, but since he didn't maintain his student status, his SEVIS was terminated. So you're right - he/she needs to start the process all over again." I hope this helps.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Husmern(m): 1:54pm On Aug 03, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Barring technical difficulties, it should be possible. It's just that sometimes the computers get recalcitrant, and we hate to have people miss flights just because their visas are a few days late. You have enough to worry about without worrying about this... go worry about something else for the rest of the weekend. (I'd tell you not to worry at all but it's not like you can just stop, right?)
..........pls sir, is thr anytin agent can do to one visa afta it has bn collected? my agents av collected more than 200k frm me b4 my visa was issued and they r requestin for anoda 300k wit d hope dt they wil seize my visa afta picked up becos they av my visa picked up letta wit them but fortunately 4 me i outsmart them and i av collected my visa without letta but afta they av already knw, they r now threatening me dt they wil do it in a way dt embassy wil call me to return my visa..and i dnt want to av anytin to do wit dem again because they av even seized my neco cert..pls enlighten me on dis..thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:27pm On Aug 03, 2013
Husmern: ..........pls sir, is thr anytin agent can do to one visa afta it has bn collected? my agents av collected more than 200k frm me b4 my visa was issued and they r requestin for anoda 300k wit d hope dt they wil seize my visa afta picked up becos they av my visa picked up letta wit them but fortunately 4 me i outsmart them and i av collected my visa without letta but afta they av already knw, they r now threatening me dt they wil do it in a way dt embassy wil call me to return my visa..and i dnt want to av anytin to do wit dem again because they av even seized my neco cert..pls enlighten me on dis..thanks.

Greetings! Please contact the IV Unit directly at the e-mail address on http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html . The officers there would enjoy nothing more than protecting your interests by adding your unscrupulous agents to their lists, and perhaps opening an investigation into their nefarious business practices.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Husmern(m): 5:13pm On Aug 03, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Please contact the IV Unit directly at the e-mail address on http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html . The officers there would enjoy nothing more than protecting your interests by adding your unscrupulous agents to their lists, and perhaps opening an investigation into their nefarious business practices.
thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by amarachi007: 10:39pm On Aug 03, 2013
If you are a husband and wife in the immigration process (IR-1 Visa)and you separated and divorced before NVC. However you got remarried by the time of interview would you have to start all over in the petitioning? Or with good explanation for divorce and reconciliation be good enough to consider?

Is that one of those be honest up front situations or would you be doomed to being denied and never being able to immigrate?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Vikktorr(m): 12:14am On Aug 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:

I don't think so. I think once it's submitted it's no longer available to be viewed. I hope the other readers will correct me if I'm wrong?

Ok. Thanks alot
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by josemaria03(m): 1:48am On Aug 04, 2013
On Dv 2014 form, Some one made this silly mistake, will it affect him or not pls need ur response ASAP thanks....He is a student, and still in the university, in the question that says " in what occupation do intend to work in the USA" he filled in is current course of study and is still in school no certificate yet, do u think this can affect him, but he has this 6 month diploma in computer operation
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by solomonwis(m): 9:18am On Aug 04, 2013
You are doing a great job here!

Just want to know like many others would like to know why the US embassy give a vague reason for denial/visa refusal. Rather than give that generic paper{explaining the reason for the denial} to everybody, will it not be nice for the embassy to be specific as to the reason for denial in each person's case and save people the hassle of reasoning out the reasons themselves?

Can people get to ask the specific reason(s) why they were refused a visa? Can visa officer "divulge" the reason behind the refusal?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Klease: 11:14am On Aug 04, 2013
Hi VisaOfficer,

There is a situation that your honest guidance would be appreciated.

A friend while much younger had wanted to travel to US. The Visa agent consulted happened to fill false information and used personal details documents that is fake in the visiting visa application. The visa was denied ofcourse. This was over a decade ago. Now this individual has moved on and has lived in NIgeria these years and has done quite well with good family ties and income. The individual wishes to correct his details at the US embassy and possibly be able to have a fair hearing when next applying for a US visa.

What would you advise the individual to do. I may not be wrong in saying that this situation may be more common that is openly admitted.

Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Kunsoft(m): 7:13pm On Aug 04, 2013
Dear VO. my question is short and direct.
I have been rejected 4times this year for Student Visa what are my chances in future or how soon did you think i can re-apply?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:26am On Aug 05, 2013
amarachi007: If you are a husband and wife in the immigration process (IR-1 Visa)and you separated and divorced before NVC. However you got remarried by the time of interview would you have to start all over in the petitioning? Or with good explanation for divorce and reconciliation be good enough to consider?

Is that one of those be honest up front situations or would you be doomed to being denied and never being able to immigrate?

My suspicion is that by getting a divorce, you rendered the underlying petition invalid. But let me check and see if there are any loopholes. I'll get back to you...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:26am On Aug 05, 2013
josemaria03: On Dv 2014 form, Some one made this silly mistake, will it affect him or not pls need ur response ASAP thanks....He is a student, and still in the university, in the question that says " in what occupation do intend to work in the USA" he filled in is current course of study and is still in school no certificate yet, do u think this can affect him, but he has this 6 month diploma in computer operation

I'm glad to report that that won't be a problem! smiley It's not a disqualification at all.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:32am On Aug 05, 2013
solomonwis: You are doing a great job here!

Just want to know like many others would like to know why the US embassy give a vague reason for denial/visa refusal. Rather than give that generic paper{explaining the reason for the denial} to everybody, will it not be nice for the embassy to be specific as to the reason for denial in each person's case and save people the hassle of reasoning out the reasons themselves?

Can people get to ask the specific reason(s) why they were refused a visa? Can visa officer "divulge" the reason behind the refusal?

I believe part of the reason is that we see too many people every day to have a heart-to-heart with every single one, and part is that being specific just leads to time-wasting arguments at the window. And, frankly, there are some applicants who would run right out and get fake documents to "fix" whatever specific reason we were able to give them.

As the CBP puts it: Please be aware, entering the United States is a privilege, not a right. It is not our intent to inconvenience law abiding visitors to our country, but our overriding responsibility is to enforce U.S. immigration law and to keep our country safe from those who would do us harm.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:36am On Aug 05, 2013
Klease: Hi VisaOfficer,

There is a situation that your honest guidance would be appreciated.

A friend while much younger had wanted to travel to US. The Visa agent consulted happened to fill false information and used personal details documents that is fake in the visiting visa application. The visa was denied ofcourse. This was over a decade ago. Now this individual has moved on and has lived in NIgeria these years and has done quite well with good family ties and income. The individual wishes to correct his details at the US embassy and possibly be able to have a fair hearing when next applying for a US visa.

What would you advise the individual to do. I may not be wrong in saying that this situation may be more common that is openly admitted.

Thanks

Well, the applicant's current situation will be much more important to the officer than something that happened more than ten years ago. He may want to mention that he was previously refused and that he believes it's because the agent filled out his forms inaccurately last time... but it was so long ago, I really doubt it will matter very much today.

There are many ineligibilities that don't expire -- for instance, if someone commits a crime. But 214(b) refusals are not permanent ineligibilities.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:38am On Aug 05, 2013
Kunsoft: Dear VO. my question is short and direct.
I have been rejected 4times this year for Student Visa what are my chances in future or how soon did you think i can re-apply?

Four rejections in one year do paint a negative picture. I would wait until your personal circumstances have changed significantly enough that the next officer can see why he or she should issue a visa, in spite of the past refusals.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by savemysoul: 9:14am On Aug 05, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! According to my colleague, you do need to apply for a whole new student visa. "We can't issue student visa without a valid I-20 from the school they will attend. If this person was a continuing student going from BA to MA [at the same school] then he wouldn't need to reapply for SEVIS, but since he didn't maintain his student status, his SEVIS was terminated. So you're right - he/she needs to start the process all over again." I hope this helps.

Thank you sir and God bless you for your quick response.....am so glad.
sir, finally i like to ask i hope i wont be penalize for not using the visa initially....what are my chances of getting the visa now that i fund to sponsor myself.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Motolank: 9:19am On Aug 05, 2013
Dear VO,I so much appreciate ur responses,u are surely blessed,sir
Pls I am one of the lucky winners of dv 2014,someone played on my behalf
Few months afta I got married,was even getting set for my wedding then,and I was few
Months pregnant,now that the result is out I would love to go with my hubby
And my new born child,though they both were not included in d entry form
Last october,but now I have filled the winner's form as the applicant and
So did my hubby,but my fear is aint we going to be disqualified?I however did not fill
A form for my little girl.will be looking fowrd to ur response sir
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:39am On Aug 05, 2013
savemysoul:

Thank you sir and God bless you for your quick response.....am so glad.
sir, finally i like to ask i hope i wont be penalize for not using the visa initially....what are my chances of getting the visa now that i fund to sponsor myself.

Good morning! There are too many factors involved to estimate your chances just from what you have written here. If you can show that you can afford to pay for your schooling, however, at least the officer will not be concerned about that issue. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:40am On Aug 05, 2013
Motolank: Dear VO,I so much appreciate ur responses,u are surely blessed,sir
Pls I am one of the lucky winners of dv 2014,someone played on my behalf
Few months afta I got married,was even getting set for my wedding then,and I was few
Months pregnant,now that the result is out I would love to go with my hubby
And my new born child,though they both were not included in d entry form
Last october,but now I have filled the winner's form as the applicant and
So did my hubby,but my fear is aint we going to be disqualified?I however did not fill
A form for my little girl.will be looking fowrd to ur response sir

Good morning! Were you married before the entry was submitted? If so, unfortunately, you will be disqualified. However, if you got married AFTER the entry was submitted, you will not be disqualified (for that reason, anyway). Best of luck to you!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by thuyahky(m): 11:24am On Aug 05, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Not sure if you can change this information with KCC (the Kentucky Consular Center). Once your case has been sent to the overseas post, you can e-mail the post and let them know what your new information is. Good luck!
@visa officer what i mean ‎​į̸̸̨§ that have already change the address and the email when am filling the dsp form,hope have not make a mistake
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by topazjosh(m): 11:31am On Aug 05, 2013
What kind of visa am I go to apply for if am to hook up with my girlfriend,if not for cost and her work schedule she would have come to nigeria for our wedding,but seems decline that for now,she's a citizen though,so will I be applying for spouse visa or what type should I go for?
Am actually asking so as to be fully sure of myself and steps,meanwhile wedding will take place in us as planned
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by josemaria03(m): 11:33am On Aug 05, 2013
VisaOfficer:

I'm glad to report that that won't be a problem! smiley It's not a disqualification at all.

Thanks smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by savemysoul: 11:59am On Aug 05, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Good morning! There are too many factors involved to estimate your chances just from what you have written here. If you can show that you can afford to pay for your schooling, however, at least the officer will not be concerned about that issue. Good luck!

sir, what am trying to ask here is that is there any penalty for NOT using the visa i was initially given?, i was given 2years n i only used 5 weeks......
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by savemysoul: 12:04pm On Aug 05, 2013
savemysoul: Dear Visa officer,
i need your professional guidance,i got a student visa for 2 years in 2011 unfortunately i lost my sponsor after few weeks of my arrival, we were doing orientation then,so i had to defer my admission and return back home ,knowing fully well that i can't pay by myself and i have a fairly good job at home.
Now i want to reapply for study( masters) in a different school because my deferment has expired.my question is do i reapply for a new student visa or apply for re-newal.
thank you for taking your time to respond.

here is my question, any penalty for NOT utilizing the initial visa and what are my chances of getting another one now that i can pay for my school and have strong tie at home, married with 3 kdz, got a good job.
advise.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:24pm On Aug 05, 2013
savemysoul:
here is my question, any penalty for NOT utilizing the initial visa and what are my chances of getting another one now that i can pay for my school and have strong tie at home, married with 3 kdz, got a good job.
advise.

Thanks for clarifying. No, there's no penalty for not using a visa. Based solely on what you've written, I think you have a good chance of successfully applying in the future. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:25pm On Aug 05, 2013
topazjosh: What kind of visa am I go to apply for if am to hook up with my girlfriend,if not for cost and her work schedule she would have come to nigeria for our wedding,but seems decline that for now,she's a citizen though,so will I be applying for spouse visa or what type should I go for?
Am actually asking so as to be fully sure of myself and steps,meanwhile wedding will take place in us as planned

Your girlfriend should petition for you as her fiance, using the I-129F petition. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by thuyahky(m): 12:25pm On Aug 05, 2013
thuyahky: @visa officer what i mean ‎​į̸̸̨§ that have already change the address and the email when am filling the dsp form,hope have not make a mistake
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by savemysoul: 12:58pm On Aug 05, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Thanks for clarifying. No, there's no penalty for not using a visa. Based solely on what you've written, I think you have a good chance of successfully applying in the future. smiley

thank you...am relief now..........
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by sholly: 1:11pm On Aug 05, 2013
I wonder if i should just defer because i just had my sevie done my MBA orientation is 22nd of august and i wonder if i still got a chance to book appointment and meet it before the Orientation begins? Please help me with the right info and best option for me. will i be able to get an appointment day for my interview soon?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (66)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.