Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer (19015 Views)

Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing / Tope Folarin Wins The 2013 Caine Prize For African Writing / 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Austeenxx: 5:35pm On Jul 16, 2013
The twitter dude is something else.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 16, 2013
@Tpia

What I'm saying is that; African writers tell their stories from an African perspective. Diasporans tell their stories from a black perspective. Peep the difference.

For example: the way I'm going to tell my story is definitely going to be different from yours. Because we were raised in different environments and our experiences are different.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by captaindaylay(m): 5:42pm On Jul 16, 2013
You see, just what Achebe meant when he said those whose teeth are cut for them by benevolent spirits should not forget to be humble. Those statements smack of idiotic arrogance!

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Okeikpu(m): 5:58pm On Jul 16, 2013
cramjones:

If you say Chimamanda hasn't gone that far: Then I think you a TOTALLY ignorant. Chimamanda is even more famous in the United States and Europe that she is in Nigeria, and you say she has not gone that far! Well I will blame it on ignorance!
NA U GET TIME 4THEM cheesy
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by luvmijeje(f): 6:01pm On Jul 16, 2013
She was so full of herself. She lacks grace. What has she achieved that some1 else have not equaled or even surpassed.
Am I the only one seeing those demeaning words such as my boys, mailbox, workshop etc. What will happen if she wins 'Nobel?'

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Okeikpu(m): 6:01pm On Jul 16, 2013
homesteady: Did she really say all those things??
Please someone tell me it's just rumour!!

My Gosh!! It stinks of arrogance!!

Bia chimamanda, you owe us an apology!!
grin grin grin
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by vislabraye(m): 6:08pm On Jul 16, 2013
senor_ova: Nigerians sometimes have a difficulty in interpreting simple English! All that Adichie simply meant was that the award nominee list was biased in the sense that notable upcoming writers were overlooked. Simple!

I guess ur not a Nigerian. If u look at it the other way, she is biased too. How can she now say that the best writers are in her inbox? That is, those people she has tutored.
The awardees are not nominated by just one person, but a body of professionals.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Okeikpu(m): 6:08pm On Jul 16, 2013
CHIAMANDA NWA!! OKEIKPU NWA! OKEIKPU NADA UDA.... IF NO BE SAY I DON REPENT , I FOR SPEND MY LASTCARD ON U...
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by 2sexyus: 6:30pm On Jul 16, 2013
The guy is good! Don't be misled by character display of some people on here because in reality, they are just acting a script in order to make nairaland a fun place to be!
kreami diva: Yuzedo na u dey blow all dis big big grammar cool Hmmm...

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by vislabraye(m): 6:37pm On Jul 16, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Of course you would think that comment was not necessary, when was the last time you walked up to a guy and said - "Ooooh! Handsome and Intelligent" "

Yeah, that's what I thought. undecided

@ Topic
I've read the article ten times and apart from the Interviewer's out of left field questions, I fail to see what the big hoopla is. Anyone who knows anything knows competitions and awards are not necessarily about being the very best. You are in only because you stuck to whatever rules guiding the competition and again...anyone who knows anything about anything knows rules and regulations sometimes wreck havoc on creativity. So when she the best writings she's seen is her inbox where there are no rules, where a writer is left unfettered....it is not about arrogance, it is just fact.

Concerning your first comment: there's nothing wrong with saying a woman is beautiful and intelligent. After all MBGN pageant looks for beautiful and intelligent women. If U tell me that am Handsome and intelligent, I'll take it as a compliment. What is sexist about such comment. You women have issues.

We know that writing is very subjective. That's why U prefer some books to others. Its de same for movies and certain art works. So how CA knows better than a group of professionals.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 16, 2013
yuzedo: Hahaha! I went through this Abubakr's tweets and i am impressed by his soundness of mind and zero-attitude to brown-nosing!

Adichie needs to chill if she has a chip on her shoulder. I understand that it can be a little hard imbibing/maintaining humility with all the attention and reverence she receives, but honestly? Honestly? Purple Hibiscus was MEDIOCRE!!! Half of a Yellow Sun was either a tour-de-force or a stroke of luck; for the benefit of all that hard work she put into it, i'll concede the former. Americanah? Haven't bothered reading, but the reviews haven't been encouraging.. Even as This Thing Around Your Neck didn't cause a buzz.

The literary world is such an egotistic, insecure one, with negative competition rife and playing to the gallery the in-thing. Chimamanda feels threatened by young turks, that's the simple truth, and maybe understandably so.

Boy you made my day cool
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by ladyinred: 6:45pm On Jul 16, 2013
Haven read the original post and all the comments made so far, there is but only one conclusion; Nigerians are a misogynistic lot. Chimamanda is young, successful, talented, and female. And many of you can't come 2 terms with the fact that she has the guts to air her views: however controversial said views may be. Hence, the insults and name-calling.
Look @ how every1 is screaming blue murder bcs Chimamanda Adichie decided to air her opinion on a matter.
I've read excerpts from the interview, and quite frankly I don't see what the brouhaha is about.
Whether we like it or not Chimamanda Adichie has made a name for herself and commands quite a bit of respect. Whether or not she shld be mentioned in thesame breath, or compared to the likes of Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe is premature: these men have spent lifetimes doling out classics. Chimamanda is just coming up; how be it strongly.
As for the twitter guy who is supposed to be a nominee, all I can say is;
Achebe I know, Chimamanda I know, who are you?
Learn some manners Abubakar Ibrahim... That's no way to talk to elders.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 16, 2013
ladyinred: [size=18pt]Haven read the original post[/size] and all the comments made so far, there is but only one conclusion; Nigerians are a misogynistic lot. Chimamanda is young, successful, talented, and female. And many of you can't come 2 terms with the fact that she has the guts to air her views: however controversial said views may be. Hence, the insults and name-calling.
Look @ how every1 is screaming blue murder bcs Chimamanda Adichie decided to air her opinion on a matter.
I've read excerpts from the interview, and quite frankly I don't see what the brouhaha is about.
Whether we like it or not Chimamanda Adichie has made a name for herself and commands quite a bit of respect. Whether or not she shld be mentioned in thesame breath, or compared to the likes of Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe is premature: these men have spent lifetimes doling out classics. Chimamanda is just coming up; how be it strongly.
As for the twitter guy who is supposed to be a nominee, all I can say is;
Achebe I know, Chimamanda I know, who are you?
Learn some manners Abubakar Ibrahim... That's no way to talk to elders.

There lies your problem.

This time, your ignorance is excused.

Maybe if you take time to understand the subjects you're trying to analyze, just maybe your home tutor service would thrive.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by yuzedo: 6:54pm On Jul 16, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Boy you made my day cool
sooooooo, we f..ucking right?? Ok wuz yo numba? wink

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Inoknowbook: 6:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Why not simply shut up if you have nothing reasonable to say. You think you've helped her abi?

Where has any of the Caine writers claimed to be the best or superior to others? In understanding, if such statements were made, then her prideful utterance would have been understood.

Belittling African winners of the Caine prize award is nothing but immaturity on her part. She needs to understand the danger of her utterance.

If need be, both (Chi and Abdul) should apologize to each other and those nominated for this award.

What was her first award? Is everything not a stepping stone?

As if you knew I had you in mind when I wrote about crazy people that are bereft of understanding. Once again, you have proven me right. Texas.madcow.girl!
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by omobajohn58(m): 6:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
dplomaticVal: To the piglet who quoted me, I'd ve ignored u blitheringly because the means u chose to display ur childish exuberancy lacks decorum to the core. Notwithstanding, IF Adichie ws so Famed in US and Europe as u sheepishly asserted then we shd be asking u why she havnt won a single prize there. Besides,it's crystal clear that she made her literary debut lately,though she've caved a niche for herself bt that dosnt giv her the prerogative and audacity to dictate for Africans on who they shd giv literary prizes and who they shldnt.
dnt tell me u are not aware of her commonwealth writers prize....courtesy of her debut novel.......adichie is just saying d truth which every NIGERIAN knw...apart 4rm wole and achebe she is our next literary goddess
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by mbulela: 6:58pm On Jul 16, 2013
kokoA: Personally I feel Chimamanda is over-hyped. She is a very good writer no doubt, but her books to me aren't anything out of the ordinary. The other dude went to far with his anger though..
Take a bow!
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by mbulela: 7:02pm On Jul 16, 2013
2sexy.us:
The guy is good! Don't be misled by character display of some people on here because in reality, they are just acting a script in order to make nairaland a fun place to be!
Like the clown called Dayokanu.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by ladyinred: 7:06pm On Jul 16, 2013
@Texas.Cowgirl, u're free to disagree with me (it's a free world), but don't join issues with me.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by repogirl(f): 7:09pm On Jul 16, 2013
@ ladyinred, hmmm, 'pride cometh before a fall' one is allowed to air one's views but say what you're saying without stepping on toes or bringing others down, dats just mean.

So what if she has made name for herself? She should begin to walk on air nao! That's when we'll see there's something really special about her.
I SMH, 'a loose tongue must take caution before it is cut off by angry teeth'.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by praxx(m): 7:19pm On Jul 16, 2013
Chimamanda needs to grow up. does she actually mean that the best writers are the ones that send their work to her inbox?. was she expecting that she will be nominated for all honours there is?
Anyway she made a point. If Nigerians are attacked they defend themselves but when they come to Nigeria they attack themselves
That sums her up really
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Smooyis(m): 7:20pm On Jul 16, 2013
Bad comments from both of them.
We are all really guilty of this. Most of us do
not know how to talk. The lesson from this is
that we should think first if we must speak. We
must not assume that we already have answers
to every question. In short,
Holy Spirit is the best influence!
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Chidor6(m): 7:24pm On Jul 16, 2013
Cocky and arrogant..
And the mallam followed suit...
Classic Nigerian problem-->idiocy
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by wallosky: 7:27pm On Jul 16, 2013
http://saharareporters.com/press-release/press-release-chimamanda-adichie-wins-american-prize

Breaking news: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by orgasticdance: 7:34pm On Jul 16, 2013
kokoA: Personally I feel Chimamanda is over-hyped. She is a very good writer no doubt, but her books to me aren't anything out of the ordinary. The other dude went to far with his anger though..
if u can make that clear distinction btwn ordinary or great fiction why arent u writer of one urself? CNA didn't do anything wrong, she just echoed our frustrations with the caine --must we write for queen mother?; and she's entitled to her views anyway. Calling her out as Abubakar did only serves to burnish her reputation as a more established writer than he ever would be. If na me talk say my favorite fiction is in my computer (which is quite true) nobody go send sad
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by NOLONGTIN1(m): 7:47pm On Jul 16, 2013
[size=15pt]Abubakar Ahmed's response showed how matured he is(go Fu""ck yourself) #Disgrace[/size]
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Abbott(m): 8:03pm On Jul 16, 2013
I love Sefi Atta's Everything Good Will Come.
Has she written any other book?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jul 16, 2013
I saw her for the first time on TED TV, and I remember saying to myself 'wow!who is this black beauty with brains to boot', I began to look forward earnestly to reading any of her books,'who knows', I asked myself 'she may be able to fill the void that will soon be left after the passing away of the Achebes and the Soyinkas'. I don't have the answer to that question yet as am yet to come across any of her works but one thing I know though, after hearing how she rubbished the Nobel prize since her mentor didn't get it, I began to wonder if she's really worth the trouble after all, for those who belittle the hard work and success of others mask the frustration and pride in their hearts.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by jaymdee(m): 8:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
Abbott: I love Sefi Atta's Everything Good Will Come.
Has she written any other book?
Yes, she has. About four others.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by chiketee(m): 8:58pm On Jul 16, 2013
I don't see what the big deal is. She said being nominated for the Caine prize doesn't make you the best "African" writer, emphasis on African. Guys remember she too was once nominated for the award. She is not saying those guys are bad writers she is just saying when it comes to novels withe real African content and soul she does not look up to "Caine committee" to provide the best, rather she looks up to her workshop ppl, who are by the way real africans and Nigerians to do do the research and send the best novels to her inbox.simple. It makes sense that she chooses to believe a real African commitee's verdict over the foreign Caine prize. Yes agreed if u are biased about this lady, her predisposition in the interview may seem arrogant. For those of you who try to compare writers and rate one above the other, shouldn't it be determined by your taste. It's like comparing rice and beans and asking which one tastes better. Cos u prefer beans doesn't mean rice is bad. Make una free d babe jor
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by tpia5: 9:10pm On Jul 16, 2013
wallosky: http://saharareporters.com/press-release/press-release-chimamanda-adichie-wins-american-prize

Breaking news: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize

cool
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nuzo1(m): 9:12pm On Jul 16, 2013
Double post

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Classic (18+) [Book 2 of Xav-Verse] [Completed] / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.