Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,749 members, 7,802,292 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

How To Be A Good Mother To Your Kids. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Be A Good Mother To Your Kids. (1068 Views)

Words Of Advice From A Mother To Her Daughter / Things A Good Mother Teaches Her Daughter Before Marriage / A Letter From A Mother To Her Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Be A Good Mother To Your Kids. by Confirmbabe(f): 3:29pm On Jul 16, 2013
How to be a good mother

1.Be supportive and never laugh at your kid’s hobbies, interest or friends
So, your daughter/son doesn't want to study medicine and become a doctor? Don't get angry, this is your child's life and they can make some of their own decisions.
Understand that it's okay if your child thinks differently from you. Don't get mad because they have a different opinion to you.
You might not do what your kids do, but that is their decision, not yours. You have a big impact on their lives already-you choose what school they go to, when they eat dinner, the amount of allowance they get a week. Don't overdo it.

2.Be patient
Being a mother is a little challenging sometimes. But keep your cool and try to stay patient. Try this approach to other problems. Stay calm,explain the practical reasons not to do something, and then why you don't want them to do it.

3.Take an interest in your child's interests.
If your son likes music buy him a guitar and watch him play. Ask questions, like what is your favorite type of music, what is your favorite song, etc. If your daughter is interested in fashion, take her out for a shopping spree. Ask her what her favorite thing about fashion is. Don't be afraid to ask just don't be pushy. Also when you call your child and he/she says " What!" in a loud, angry-like voice just say never mind and talk to them when they don't seem so mad. Sometimes when they say 'what' in a kind of voice you should ask them what’s wrong? If they say nothing that means you need to go in there to see what’s wrong, but sometimes let them come to you.

4.Don't be tight about money
Okay, so blowing money day after day isn't the best thing to do, but don't automatically say no to everything your kid asks for. If you always say no and follow this with a lecture about saving money, you will be known as the "Tight Parent", the one who never buys anything. Buy something small every now and then. Even offering to purchase some candy or chips at the store can make a difference. Every now and then buy something big that you are sure your kid wants. For example, an iPod in their favorite color, or maybe a teenager would enjoy a nice computer. And be generous at birthdays, maybe buy them something they have been hinting they want for a while. You can also take them out to a special dinner, see a movie, and choose a nice gift or receive nice gifts from parents.

5.Make sure you are an approachable person to talk to
Try your hardest to always be understanding and a good listener. Knowing that they can go to their mom for friendship advice, information on puberty, homework help, or just a hug goes a long way for kids. Not having someone they can talk to can cause kids to retire into a shell, so make sure you talk to them about how they feel regularly.

6.Be able to admit that something you did may have been wrong and don't be afraid to apologize
It might be hard, but it's better for everyone if you just admit to your mistakes and apologize. It saves everyone the trouble of being mad that you're being stubborn and it teaches your kids that it's okay to make mistakes, as well as the importance of an apology. Simply calm yourself, evaluate the situation and determine what you did wrong and why. Then apologize and explain how or why you acted the way you did. A good way to start off may be: "I would like to apologize for how I acted earlier, and I realize that I was wrong," then transition into the rest.

7.Respect your child's love for the other parent
You should not be jealous of your child loving their Dad.

8.Lastly, love your children more than anything.

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Good-Mother
Re: How To Be A Good Mother To Your Kids. by kreamidiva(f): 8:50pm On Jul 16, 2013
Noted
Re: How To Be A Good Mother To Your Kids. by mgbeketoto: 2:42am On Jul 18, 2013
No matter your insecurities. . .DO NOT KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THEIR FATHER(S)! kiss

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Good Mother To Your Kids. by newspapers: 7:49pm On Dec 04, 2013
Nice one @Confirmbabe. A better mother is what the world needs. See this post on www.shiloh.com.ng/mother-ways-steps/ - Many find it hard to correct their children and ward. We should be mindful because they are replica of us as parents.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Happy father's day (true Story) / Help A Girl In A Dilemma / Those Moments That Makes Me Think My Villagers Are After Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.