Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,856 members, 7,806,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos (36097 Views)

Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / So Yagba In Kogi State Are Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 9:26am On Aug 13, 2013
pazienza:

So, you mean that it took just few decades,for the Akri people to make the aboh people to completely erase their bini language, replace it akri language,and even named themselves using akri language- aboh ji( yam basket) ? Wow!

I am now convienced that you are one of the descendants of ezzeh obi ossai hausa slaves, whom he granted freedom,and allowed to become aboh citizens, when he sgined the queen,s,s treaty,which mandated him to stop his slave trade. I have always wondered what became of ezeh obi ossai hausa slaves descendants, now i can see i have found one of them in nairaland.
Your statement is supposed to be insulting but i find it amusing. For ur info, I can trace my geneology to the 10th generation before and even beyond, to the man called Esumai, the founder of Aboh. To answer you, sorry to announce to you that it is on record that a peoples language can completely change in 100years in certain circumstances

1 Like

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 9:37am On Aug 13, 2013
pazienza: On a similar note, i noticed how you skipped other characteristics of aboh,that was given there, your omission of them was intentional,it simply showed that you didnt come into this discussion to learn,but rather,you came with agbontaen spirit.

The king of aboh was named Ezeh obi ossai, he worshiped a divine being called tshuku(Chukwu), his first sons name was Chukwuma, his daugher's name who he gave out to king of brass was adze( Adaeze), he equally worshipped his arrisi( arusi) . from these information, a neutral mind would have deduced the truth. ezeh obi ossai was as Igbo as they come.
The name of the Obi's idol is arrisi, a god tht is still worshipped (albeit unfortunately) by some Abohs to this day and pronounced 'arishi'. Do u Igbos worship arrisi as a deity? Chukwu is just a general word for God in igbo language which is a major influence for the Aboh language. Concerning names, it is expected tht since d Aboh language became igbo, they wud hv Igbo names.

1 Like

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 9:46am On Aug 13, 2013
clefstone: Your statement is supposed to be insulting but i find it amusing. For ur info, I can trace my geneology to the 10th generation before and even beyond, to the man called Esumai, the founder of Aboh. To answer you, sorry to announce to you that it is on record that a peoples language can completely change in 100years in certain circumstances

Language is too strong an element of identity to be erased so suddenly. In some instances traces will remain even after thousands of years. I'm sure that if the Europeans didn't record the names and some wqrds in the language as far back as the 18th century, some people would have claimed the language change was recent. Just like I've stated earlier even amidst refutation from "physicqed", the ancient Benin wasn't exclusively Edo as traces of Igbo, Yoruba and Ijaw once living there exists. Igbos fought in the Benin army while Ijaws ferried Benin people across riverine areas. Pride may cause some distortions but going by the population of Igbos and Ijaws that have Benin history, then we don't need much evidence. The problem is that in the past many of those people did not know themselves as a part of every tribe that shared same language with them and their true origin had been lost in obscurity. They however knew they came from the east.There were problems in ancient Benin that might have resulted in mass exodus of these non-Edo in company of some Edo people back to the east with some stuck halfway between Benin and Igbo area.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:56am On Aug 13, 2013
Well,Arishi/Arisi can be a dialectical variance of Aboh's Alusi/Arushi/Alunsi as we have it in southeast. But you can take it to be my opinion and run with whatever that suits you. And yes,we worship Alusi in Igbo land but bear in mind that every Alusi has a name;Example,Ogwugwu,Udo,Ikenga,Ibini Ukpabi. Let me make it clearer,a lot of people are christian but they go to different churches. It could be redeem,catholic,anglican and so on. Alusi is basicaly a temple where pagans worship and offer sacrifices to their Gods.

Then again,given the fact that you didn't come here to learn and maybe understand why researchers called you Igbo but to explain to the world that eventhough that everything about you says you are Igbo you are not willing to accept that wether true or false. you can refuse to be identify as an Igbo but don't tamper with historican facts. You will always lose!

2 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:03am On Aug 13, 2013
Did I forgot to add that I have heard a guy from Enugu use the word "Arishi" for Alusi. Like I said,you don't have to believe me. Go with what suits you but don't mess with historical facts. Deje.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:30am On Aug 13, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: Did I forgot to add that I have heard a guy from Enugu use the word "Arishi" for Alusi. Like I said,you don't have to believe me. Go with what suits you but don't mess with historical facts. Deje.
Mess with historical fact? The English expeditionists described the 'true Ibu race' and then the Abohs. Is tht not historical enuf to refute all your claims
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:51am On Aug 13, 2013
[quote author=Abagworo]

Language is too strong an element of identity to be erased so suddenly. In some instances traces will remain even after thousands of years. I'm sure that if the Europeans didn't record the names and some wqrds in the language as far back as the 18th century, some people would have claimed the language change was recent. Just like I've stated earlier even amidst refutation from "physicqed", the ancient Benin wasn't exclusively Edo as traces of Igbo, Yoruba and Ijaw once living there exists. Igbos fought in the Benin army while Ijaws ferried Benin people across riverine areas. Pride may cause some distortions but going by the population of Igbos and Ijaws that have Benin history, then we don't need much evidence. The problem is that in the past many of those people did not know themselves as a part of every tribe that shared same language with them and their true origin had been lost in obscurity. They however knew they came from the east.There were problems in ancient Benin that might have resulted in mass exodus of these non-Edo in company of some Edo people back to the east with some stuck halfway between Benin and Igbo area. [/quotehow convenient for u to ASSUME the emmigrants were Igbos. If u agree igbos lived in Benin during the peak of d Benin Empire, thr wud be some of their descendants, like the ?Obasekis u mentioned stil living thr now. If these people dont know a word of Igbo now, how is it difficult for u to understnd how the Abohs lost their ancestral language]
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 1:42pm On Aug 13, 2013
clefstone: an excerpt from d letter, 'The men here, as well as those we have seen of the ''true Ibu race'' were stout and well made, of middling stature'. This statement was made when at Oniah, probably 'Onitcha'. Take note of the use of the phrase 'true Ibu race'. Now, contrast wht d writer had to say about the look of the Abohs once in Aboh: ''natives of Aboh are comparatively tall for west Africans, well made and muscular, but the hands and feet are large, the most prevalent colour is yellowish or brownish- black. For ur info, this description fits the Abohs, even today just as the descriptn of the true Ibus fit the Igbos as we know them today.

Onitsha is an anioma clan,and only became part of the east,as a punishment for anioma,because they lost agha ekumeku. Those two statements were made at different times and parts of that write up, they were never a comparision, never in that report was igbo east of the niger,referred as the true igbo race,and those at the west, referred as the fake igbo race, the 'true' the writter added their was for emphasis,and not for comparision. once again, u expose yourself as being insincere and infected with agbontaen spirit, even to the extent of twisting the words of those writters, even after they had given you the picture of their understanding of the igbo country,as i quoted above.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 1:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: Well,Arishi/Arisi can be a dialectical variance of Aboh's Alusi/Arushi/Alunsi as we have it in southeast. But you can take it to be my opinion and run with whatever that suits you. And yes,we worship Alusi in Igbo land but bear in mind that every Alusi has a name;Example,Ogwugwu,Udo,Ikenga,Ibini Ukpabi. Let me make it clearer,a lot of people are christian but they go to different churches. It could be redeem,catholic,anglican and so on. Alusi is basicaly a temple where pagans worship and offer sacrifices to their Gods.

Then again,given the fact that you didn't come here to learn and maybe understand why researchers called you Igbo but to explain to the world that eventhough that everything about you says you are Igbo you are not willing to accept that wether true or false. you can refuse to be identify as an Igbo but don't tamper with historican facts. You will always lose!

Arusi,arushi,arrisi,alunsi,alunshi, are just same thing as ani,ali,ala,ana. dialectical differences in igbo language.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2013
clefstone: [/quote]

Obasekis moved from anioma to bini, an already established empire,stronger than his own town, it was only normal, that to blend to the bini soc[email]
clefstone:

Obasekis moved from anioma to bini, an already established empire,stronger than his own town, it was only normal, that to blend to the bini soc[/email][quote author=clefstone]

Obasekis moved from anioma to bini, an already established empire,stronger than his own town, it was only normal, that to blend to the bini society and ascend the political ladder in bini, obaseki had to become more bini,and more bini, albeit less igbo,it was igbo sense at work,and it has worked for him,as the binis had since accepted him and his descendants as one of their own, while acknowledging his igbo ancestry.

Ezechima,akalaka, esumai,osutili,etim,ozoma,oputa,etc'were doing the same thing obaseki was doing, they were probably trying to get integrated into the bini elite society, but unlike the obaseki scenario, things didn't work out for them,and they had to return east,in the true igbo fashion, their resentment of their treatment in bini, and the fact that they were actually igbos,would explain why they quickly dumped anything bini language and picked up their original igbo language,while they tried to model their society in bini political structure type,as bini was the centre of excellence in their time,it was only normal they tried to imitate bini,just like naija is trying so hard to imitate america.

Akiris never dominated aboh, rather they co existed, there was no reason whatsoever for bini language to die off to be replaced by the akiri, in some ukwuani towns where you have the ukwuani igbos existing with isokos, the ukwuani retained their igbo language and igbo political structures, while the isokos retained their isoko language with their isoko political structures,and this was despite the fact that both groups have co existed for centuries,even the white man in that report noticed these isoko/ibo villages.

Ogwezi,having driven away the akri only to throw away his bini language, is your hausa brain imagination, you must think low of Ogwezi,to have imagined he would throw away his heritage like that, even esumai, still fresh from bini,named his son Ogwezi, an igbo name, ogwezi structured aboh into Umudei and ndiche, all igbo words. Surely abohs were only reclaiming their igbo heritage,having failed to integrate into the bini society.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 5:56pm On Aug 13, 2013
Why do people believe "Obi" is related to "Oba"? The tone is entirely different and unrelated. "Obi" has same tone as "Ade" and not "Oba". Obi and Oba are not like Ala and Ali.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 6:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
i am married to a kwale woman she se herself as igbo and we never had a communication issue, she is the best gift i ever had and i love her like crazy, i have an oguta friend and he told me that kwale and oguta are related.... i did a research and found out that they speak same dialect so why do you people love scattering igbo.

why is it that igbo thread get attention more than other tribes... well igbos dont compete we tak over

ABOHS AND UKWUANI ARE IGBOS AND THEY ARE IGBO WORDS..... SO IDIOTS GET A LIFE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 6:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
Whereas the average Nri citizen traces his genealogy to Egypt and Israel, Onitsha indigenes trace a geneology that reveals that her first king was one Eze Chima, a rebel prince from the Benin royal dynasty. In Aboh it is Essumai Ukwu while Agbor must have been founded by a Benin warrior named Agban. Eze Chima is reputed to be the founder of Obior. Onicha Ukwu, Onicha Ugbo, Onicha Olona, Issele Ukwu, Issele Mkpima, Issele Azagba, Ezi, Obamkpa and Abeh.
The monarchy institution in these places have been traced by some scholars to the influence of Benin kingdom on these Igbo settlements. But Ijoma argues that it is not true that the Igbo are kingless as the Igbo Ukwu excavations suggest an established kingship institution. He also wonders why a monarchical institution should be considered a superior set up to a democratic culture as practised in Igboland. Says he regarding Eze Chima and his likes, "the names of these founding fathers, the basic customs and the language are Igbo and yet the chiefdoms, apart from Onitsha, are neighbours of the Edo and are separated from the rest of the Igbo by the Niger. It is not unlikely that some kingship emblems may have been borrowed from Benin. This is not unusual to neighbouring communities. A distinction must be made between the origin of the people and the origin of some political institutions.

Nigeria: ATM

Afigbo on his part notes in his book "Ropes of Sand" that of the neighbours of the Igbo, the Edo kingdom of Benin and the Igala state at Idah would appear to have had the most far reaching impact on the evolution of the Igbo culture. According to him, "The influence of Benin was most felt in the western areas, the riverine region around Aboh and Onitsha. Benin influence was largely political and could be seen in the institution of village monarchies which exist all through the area. It is also seen in the character of the title system as in the names of some of the titles". Ultimately these areas were original Igbo settlements which were infiltrated through political manouverings and culture assimilation". Ijoma a former head of department of history, at the UNN along with Onwuejeogwu, Afigbo, Nzimiro, Dike Ekejuba and Shaw have gone a long way to give the Igbo identity yet the question of who the Igbo are keeps coming. Ijeoma replies by noting that in trying to sketch the history of the Igbo before the European invasion of Igboland "we cannot employ purely western models of historical investigation. Nor does one have to bother oneself with the exploits of kings and emperor".

Ijoma says what is important is how the Igbo have lived their lives over the centuries from a multidisciplinary approach. He says, "from archeological discoveries and linguistic evidence we find that the Igbo have lived in their present environment for several millennia". They practiced gainful agriculture to sustain their apparently dense population, engaged in trade, crafts and industries.

They have been found to be in relationship with non-Igbo speaking neighbours through the exchange of goods and ideas and inter-group marriages. They had the Niger and Cross River as important outlets for communication and intercourse.

Like Ijoma, many believe the coming of the Europeans widened the Igbo horizon and increased the people's volume of trade and agricultural output. But it brought with it some economic and socio-cultural disorientation which the Igbo are yet to recover from.

Certainly the new millennium is set to re-address these distortions about the Igbo nation.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 6:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
Aboh was the first Igbo-speaking town to encounter Christianity in the nineteenth century during the Niger expeditions of 1841, 1854 and 1857. It is on record that Aboh was the transit camp of the C.M.S. missionaries who accompanied these expeditions. One would have expected Aboh to be the headquarters of the C.M.S. Niger Igbo Mission when in 1857, the leadership of the mission finally decided to establish a permanent station along the Niger. But this was painfully not so. The leadership of the mission relocated from Aboh in 1857 and thus abandoned it for Onitsha. Notable chourch historians attribute this relocation and subsequent abandonment to the misconduct of Obi Aje, whom they said refused the gospel on behalf of his people as he was the reigning monarch in Aboh around 1857. However, the present researcher has been able to establish some factors, notably economic and geographical that informed the decision of the leadership of the C.M.S. Niger Igbo mission to relocate from Aboh to Onitsha.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 8:22pm On Aug 13, 2013
tonychristopher: i am married to a kwale woman she se herself as igbo and we never had a communication issue, she is the best gift i ever had and i love her like crazy, i have an oguta friend and he told me that kwale and oguta are related.... i did a research and found out that they speak same dialect so why do you people love scattering igbo.

why is it that igbo thread get attention more than other tribes... well igbos dont compete we tak over

Ukwuani and Oguta truly speak same dialect with very little difference. Aboh also speak a bit different but we are all same people .

The truth is that when you visit the village emphasis is laid on our difference because most of our ancestors came from across the river and there is a sharp contrast in dialect between Mgbidi and Oguta. Mgbidi is a cotinuum of Orlu dialect but Oguta is rather a continuum of Ukwuani dialect in Delta.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:56pm On Aug 13, 2013
How and why does language change? There are many different routes to language change. Changes can take originate in language learning, or through language contact, social differentiation, and natural processes in usage. Language learning: Language is transformed as it is transmitted from one generation to the next. Each individual must re-create a grammar and lexicon based on input received from parents, older siblings and other members of the speech community. The experience of each individual is different, and the process of linguistic replication is imperfect, so that the result is variable across individuals. However, a bias in the learning process -- for instance, towards regularization -- will cause systematic drift, generation by generation. In addition, random differences may spread and become 'fixed', especially in small populations. Language contact: Migration, conquest and trade bring speakers of one language into contact with speakers of another language. Some individuals will become fully bilingual as children, while others learn a second language more or less well as adults. In such contact situations, languages often borrow words, sounds, constructions and so on. Social differentiation. Social groups adopt distinctive norms of dress, adornment, gesture and so forth; language is part of the package. Linguistic distinctiveness can be achieved through vocabulary (slang or jargon), pronunciation (usually via exaggeration of some variants already available in the environment), morphological processes, syntactic constructions, and so on. Natural processes in usage. Rapid or casual speech naturally produces processes such as assimilation, dissimilation, syncope and apocope. Through repetition, particular cases may become conventionalized, and therefore produced even in slower or more careful speech. Word meaning change in a similar way, through conventionalization of processes like metaphor and metonymy.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by oturugo(m): 11:12pm On Aug 13, 2013
clefstone: How and why does language change? There are many different routes to language change. Changes can take originate in language learning, or through language contact, social differentiation, and natural processes in usage. Language learning: Language is transformed as it is transmitted from one generation to the next. Each individual must re-create a grammar and lexicon based on input received from parents, older siblings and other members of the speech community. The experience of each individual is different, and the process of linguistic replication is imperfect, so that the result is variable across individuals. However, a bias in the learning process -- for instance, towards regularization -- will cause systematic drift, generation by generation. In addition, random differences may spread and become 'fixed', especially in small populations. Language contact: Migration, conquest and trade bring speakers of one language into contact with speakers of another language. Some individuals will become fully bilingual as children, while others learn a second language more or less well as adults. In such contact situations, languages often borrow words, sounds, constructions and so on. Social differentiation. Social groups adopt distinctive norms of dress, adornment, gesture and so forth; language is part of the package. Linguistic distinctiveness can be achieved through vocabulary (slang or jargon), pronunciation (usually via exaggeration of some variants already available in the environment), morphological processes, syntactic constructions, and so on. Natural processes in usage. Rapid or casual speech naturally produces processes such as assimilation, dissimilation, syncope and apocope. Through repetition, particular cases may become conventionalized, and therefore produced even in slower or more careful speech. Word meaning change in a similar way, through conventionalization of processes like metaphor and metonymy.
This your long sermon is getting boring each day.
You are not Igbo admitted but leave Igbo matter for Ndigbo, fool.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 2:12am On Aug 14, 2013
Abagworo:

Ukwuani and Oguta truly speak same dialect with very little difference. Aboh also speak a bit different but we are all same people .

The truth is that when you visit the village emphasis is laid on our difference because most of our ancestors came from across the river and there is a sharp contrast in dialect between Mgbidi and Oguta. Mgbidi is a cotinuum of Orlu dialect but Oguta is rather a continuum of Ukwuani dialect in Delta.

The ukwuani Oguta connection is to be expected,since Oguta is close to ukwuani area. Please bro, are the Oputas from Oguta in Imo?
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 8:26am On Aug 14, 2013
pazienza:

The ukwuani Oguta connection is to be expected,since Oguta is close to ukwuani area. Please bro, are the Oputas from Oguta in Imo?

Yes
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 11:24am On Aug 14, 2013
tonychristopher: i am married to a kwale woman she se herself as igbo and we never had a communication issue, she is the best gift i ever had and i love her like crazy, i have an oguta friend and he told me that kwale and oguta are related.... i did a research and found out that they speak same dialect so why do you people love scattering igbo.

That ur wife(much respect to her) calls herself Igbo doesnt make her igbo. Yes, many Ukwuanis, Abohs included, wud marry Igbo men/women and tell their inlaws tins like we r all one. Its understandable considering tht u hv to look for any common ground to please inlaws nd strenghten marraige bonds. Wht u don't know is the tension nd cold wars tht go on within both families before such marriages nd a typical rebukal wud be words like 'you wnt to marry an Igbo man'! Such recurring theme already suggest tht the Ukwuanis intrinsically do not see themselves as 'true igbos', the stout and middling species(not meant as an insult, just borrowing words from d expeditionist). But on marraige day nd afterwards, for the purpose of peace nd bliss, pple give in, a wise move but doesnt stop that theme, our daughter married an Igbo man!
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 12:06pm On Aug 14, 2013
Dictionary.com;
Tribe: A group of people united by common descent and sharing common custom.
Wikipedia.com;
Tribe: a social group existing before the development of, or outside of, states.
All i hv been seeing on this thread is language, language, language which is but a solitary point. Wht about d mode of dressing, the social festivals, the political organisatn, social interactions, marraige rites, religious practices, food. We speak similar languages, nd so wht?
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 2:54pm On Aug 14, 2013
Abagworo:

Yes

Ok, cos i noticed that one of Esumai companions from bini, goes by the name oputa, i don't know the meaning of Oputa, and i ve sinced wondered if it is really an igbo name. Now i am confident,that Oputa really is an Igbo name.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2013
clefstone: That ur wife(much respect to her) calls herself Igbo doesnt make her igbo. Yes, many Ukwuanis, Abohs included, wud marry Igbo men/women and tell their inlaws tins like we r all one. Its understandable considering tht u hv to look for any common ground to please inlaws nd strenghten marraige bonds. Wht u don't know is the tension nd cold wars tht go on within both families before such marriages nd a typical rebukal wud be words like 'you wnt to marry an Igbo man'! Such recurring theme already suggest tht the Ukwuanis intrinsically do not see themselves as 'true igbos', the stout and middling species(not meant as an insult, just borrowing words from d expeditionist). But on marraige day nd afterwards, for the purpose of peace nd bliss, pple give in, a wise move but doesnt stop that theme, our daughter married an Igbo man!

Stop talking trash. You have no point,and you are beginning to sound childish.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 3:00pm On Aug 14, 2013
clefstone: Dictionary.com;
Wikipedia.com;
Tribe: a social group existing before the development of, or outside of, states.
All i hv been seeing on this thread is language, language, language which is but a solitary point. Wht about d mode of dressing, the social festivals, the political organisatn, social interactions, marraige rites, religious practices, food. We speak similar languages, nd so wht?

You have been possessed by agbontaen spirit, a spirit that refuses to bow to superior argument,but would rather keep arguing for arguing sake. You need deliverance.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 4:31pm On Aug 14, 2013
pazienza:

Ok, cos i noticed that one of Esumai companions from bini, goes by the name oputa, i don't know the meaning of Oputa, and i ve sinced wondered if it is really an igbo name. Now i am confident,that Oputa really is an Igbo name.
Oputa is an Aboh name. The Obi of Aboh before the incumbent was Obi Oputa.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 4:33pm On Aug 14, 2013
pazienza:

You have been possessed by agbontaen spirit, a spirit that refuses to bow to superior argument,but would rather keep arguing for arguing sake. You need deliverance.
Superior argument? Who made u d judge here. #laffin
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 5:55pm On Aug 14, 2013
clefstone: Oputa is an Aboh name. The Obi of Aboh before the incumbent was Obi Oputa.

Oputa is an Igbo name, since aboh is an igbo town, it would also not be out of place to call oputa an aboh name, just as an Oguta man would call it an Oguta name.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 5:59pm On Aug 14, 2013
clefstone: That ur wife(much respect to her) calls herself Igbo doesnt make her igbo. Yes, many Ukwuanis, Abohs included, wud marry Igbo men/women and tell their inlaws tins like we r all one. Its understandable considering tht u hv to look for any common ground to please inlaws nd strenghten marraige bonds. Wht u don't know is the tension nd cold wars tht go on within both families before such marriages nd a typical rebukal wud be words like 'you wnt to marry an Igbo man'! Such recurring theme already suggest tht the Ukwuanis intrinsically do not see themselves as 'true igbos', the stout and middling species(not meant as an insult, just borrowing words from d expeditionist). But on marraige day nd afterwards, for the purpose of peace nd bliss, pple give in, a wise move but doesnt stop that theme, our daughter married an Igbo man!
Wikipedia.com;
[quote author=clef

Isn't it obvious that you have lost the argument,as you are now seen making childish comments, even to the extent of speaking not just for your self,but also for the whole ukwuani. Comments like the ones above., sound so infantile.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2013
pazienza: [quote author=clef

Isn't it obvious that you have lost the argument,as you are now seen making childish comments, even to the extent of speaking not just for your self,but also for the whole ukwuani. Comments like the ones above., sound so infantile.

calling me childish is not goin to prick my skin. Fortunately for u, much unlike u, its not in my character to pass offensive comment on pple who don't share my view so dnt expect a retaliatory remark from me. I'l only continue to make logical argument to enlighten and push wht i believe without doubt. The only reason i used ukwuani is cos Mr Tony said his wife is Kwale. Pls try not to make offensive statements, it makes u look immature
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 9:38pm On Aug 14, 2013
Wikipedia.com;

Even the Europeans in that book of 1841 recognized 4 tribes in Igbo which were Aro(Anno), Aboh, Isoama and Elugu. They used Ibu as an amalgamation of those tribes probably because they all knew they spoke similar language. The son of Eze Ossai was named Chukwuma as far back as 1841 and Aboh people went on pilgrimage to Arochukwu.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 9:51pm On Aug 14, 2013
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 9:59pm On Aug 14, 2013
Aboh is an igbo word and we have another aboh in IMO state

Oputa is an igbo word and we anambra bear it also plus IMO and kwale so are we not igbo

What are your market days
What do you call : God
What do you call land
What do you call food
What do you call today
What do you call man
What do you call chair
What do you call children

Let's argue maturedly BIko maka ndi ofe mmanu

Ifele na emezi m

Anyi Bu ofu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Children Of The Dead Share Proceed Made From Funeral Ceremonies In Igboland / Emir Of Zazzau, Shehu Idris, Dies At 84 / Question: What Is Igbako In English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.