Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,908 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis (17205 Views)

See What APC Said About Rivers Election (photo) / Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others / Gaddafi Warns About Influx Of Millions Of Blacks Including Nigerians To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by adeyemik: 3:57pm On Jul 17, 2013

NOBEL LAUREATE, Professor Wole Soyinka has warned of dire consequences for the country should the crisis in Rivers State be allowed to degenerate beyond this.

Professor Soyinka, in a statement stated that “even after the Rivers crisis has been resolved, this notorious proceeding will not be permitted to fester unchallenged.”

Making reference to the election of Nigerian Governors’ Forum, NGF

In Public Interest, in order to eliminate all further distraction and enable the nation to concentrate on issues that affect the democratic pursuit, it is necessary to make the following information available:

Before the press conference held by Femi Falana and myself – that is, even before the Rivers Assembly fracas - I had been canvassed by opposing sides of the face-off, both via telephone and physically. One such visit, perhaps the most significant, was made by a Special Adviser in the presidency who outlined what can be regarded as the official rationale for the Governors’ Forum election debacle. In the process of this exchange, he did make certain complaints against Governor Rotimi Amaechi, including charges of a conflict of interests over certain resources. This was implied as the root of division between the Governors’ Forum and the Presidency.

I wrote down the details, informed the emissary that I would pass on these accusations to Governor Amaechi – which I did. That Amaechi hotly denied them and offered contradicting facts, which he urged me to verify, remained, and remains utterly irrelevant to the democratic core of the conflict – and this has been made clear to all interventionists: Keyed into this core are:

(i) the arithmetics of democracy involved in figures 16 and 19 at the time, and now, with increased confidence in impunity, the figures 27 and 5.
(ii) whether or not it is democratic , even cultured proceeding that a state governor is barred from public access anywhere within his own zone of constitutional authority, with the massive security apparatus of the centre, on behalf of an unelected individual.

Even after the Rivers crisis has been resolved, this notorious proceeding will not be permitted to fester unchallenged.

For the rest, since beneath the surface of most Nigerian conflicts will be found inordinate greed for public resources, it is perhaps pertinent to remind ourselves that Oil is not the only marvel to emerge from the Delta swamps. There are also exotic creatures – mermaids, manatees, even mammy watas and hippopotami. However, unlike crude oil, which can be refined, you can extract a hippopotamus from the swamps, but you cannot take the swamp out of the hippopotamus.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/rivers-crisis-soyinka-warns-of-dire-consequences/

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by temhab(f): 4:05pm On Jul 17, 2013
OMG shocked
Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by KwoiZabo(m): 4:20pm On Jul 17, 2013
Soyinka tell us the things the presidential aid told you and the ones Amaechi denied if not we will not belive you. And you've been talking too much lately you better keep quiet and talk occasionally like Emeka Anyaoku if not you will loose the little respect that is remaining.

15 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by 4reigningqueen: 4:47pm On Jul 17, 2013
really!!!
Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 17, 2013
Just wanted to comment on the 1st page hello Nigerians .

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by hoochay: 4:49pm On Jul 17, 2013
souce plz
Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by hoochay: 4:50pm On Jul 17, 2013
spongeback: Just wanted to comment on the 1st page hello Nigerians .
wen u go get sence self
Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by launique: 4:51pm On Jul 17, 2013
I heard that he is now a regular visitor to Rivers State. Perhaps he wants his own share of the oil largesse before oil prices fall since almost every country now has crude oil or natural gas in commercial quantity. He doesn't want to be left behind, it's now or never before oil business becomes and agbero an area boy's affair. Better late than never, Prof. Better late than never. lol grin

9 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 17, 2013
KwoiZabo: Soyinka cannot say this. Rubbish

Are u going to whip out ur cane to flog him?

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Shuen: 4:52pm On Jul 17, 2013
This is just the beginning...
Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by na2day(m): 4:52pm On Jul 17, 2013
you can extract a hippopotamus from the swamps, but you cannot take the swamp out of the hippopotamus

Classic! grin

17 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by xandy84: 4:52pm On Jul 17, 2013
Abeg wetin this guy dey talk nah..? Thank God am among the 5th to comment..

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Tolexander: 4:53pm On Jul 17, 2013
That is the best quote of the year.

Wole soyinka has said it all.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Ymodulus: 4:54pm On Jul 17, 2013
KwoiZabo: Soyinka cannot say this. Rubbish
na2day!:
you can extract a hippopotamus from the swamps, but you cannot take the swamp out of the hippopotamus

Classic! grin

[size=14pt]That is a metaphor not a direct literal statement[/size]

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Mogidi: 4:54pm On Jul 17, 2013
Now that Wole Soyinka's son has been made a commissioner in Ogun state he should just come out and say he is a member of ACN.

No need hiding under the cloak of social critic.

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by ziccoit: 4:55pm On Jul 17, 2013
If you didn't attend figurative expression classes while you were in secondary school, stare clear of this place. Pls.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by homesteady(m): 4:55pm On Jul 17, 2013
Chai!! This man doesn't have shame!! After what PH people did to him!!
He is lucky one mighty stone did not break his running mouth!!

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 17, 2013
For the rest, since beneath the surface of most Nigerian conflicts will be found inordinate greed for public resources, it is perhaps pertinent to remind ourselves that Oil is not the only marvel to emerge from the Delta swamps. There are also exotic creatures – mermaids, manatees, even mammy watas and hippopotami. However, [size=14pt]unlike crude oil, which can be refined, you can extract a hippopotamus from the swamps, but you cannot take the swamp out of the hippopotamus.[/size]

^^^^Ouchhhh!!! Classic!! That's the greatest one-liner ever to reply inconsequential people! grin

That's why I absolutely love this man and he's the only Nigerian I admire!

22 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 17, 2013
Madam Jesus Christ on earth has elected to choose a wrong fight with a wrong person..

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 17, 2013
[size=19pt] Ah! Soyinka don't disgrace urself na... Haba! Hippopotamus ke. [/size] grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by chadef: 4:56pm On Jul 17, 2013
These figurative speach sound like that of a bricklayer trying to prove how educated he is. I think soyinka shud stay off polictic and stop being sentimental because ameachi is his personal friend.

17 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by ldpele(m): 4:57pm On Jul 17, 2013
so so disappointed with the outlined part of it. it shows not decorum. well,she is occupying the sit of the 1st lady n nothing evr1 including wole cn do bouh it

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by davidom: 4:57pm On Jul 17, 2013
How does all these buhaha affect the Masses?
Darkness can overcome Light and neither will evil reign over good.
Let him that thinketh he stands watch, less he falls and remain down forever.
Once i've i spoken and let him that have ear hear the warning.
Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 17, 2013
chadef: These figurative speach sound like that of a bricklayer trying to prove how educated he is. I think soyinka shud stay off polictic and stop being sentimental because ameachi is his personal friend.

Sharrrrap..

13 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Gifted4all(m): 4:58pm On Jul 17, 2013
what is all dis noise abt rivers crisis?abeg if dem wan die make dem die
the prof shd pls tk it easy na.who cum be swamp abi na hippopotamus for d mata
Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Nuzo1(m): 4:58pm On Jul 17, 2013
I'm happy that Soyinka is among the people championing the true course of democracy in Rivers and Nigeria at large. This time, he seem to be a bit impartial.

I wish he had used this opportunity to quickly find out from Amaechi and Okorocha where they got the powers to sack democratically elected chairmen. Or does democracy only start from federal level?

One more thing sir, no cause for alarm sir, kpata kpata State of Emergency will be decleared.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by Kzinne: 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2013
ziccoit: If you didn't attend figurative expression classes while you were in secondary school, stare clear of this place. Pls.
can u explain wat figurative expression is? wat school did u go too? most of ya here went to some ghetto schools struggling to pass jamb, then ull com here feelin like one lecturer who can write english. go siddon if abeg

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by lacasa: 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2013
And all because Amaechi won the NGF elections freely and fairly.

And then they will tell me GEJ is an up-right human being.

GEJ is the lowest low-life in Nigerian politics.

(Fact)

22 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:00pm On Jul 17, 2013
Ymodulus:

That is a metaphor not a direct literal statement

For your mind abi? grin

Madam's figure alone is enough for people to see it as a direct literal statement ooo
Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by TRILLIONIAR: 5:01pm On Jul 17, 2013
O boy see smack down shocked

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis by flybiz08(m): 5:01pm On Jul 17, 2013
Maybe Wole Soyinka is getting too old for public utterances. Its obvious that his recent comments have been more political. As most would agree, he has fallen short of a true elder statesman.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

January 24 Declared Holiday For Eid-el-maulud / Breaking News!!! Efcc Arrest Obasanjo And Former President Goodluck Jonathan / Nigeria's Oil Reserve To Dry Up In 30 Years ― Ibe Kachikwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.