Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? (16227 Views)

Is Speaking In Tongue Learnt Or Received? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by naijathings(m): 11:29am On Oct 20, 2013
[size=18pt]i don't speak in tongues except in my language which i have never used to say a prayer.
does this means i do not believe in God?[/size]
does this means you will go to heaven b4 me?
i know some of these female bankers and politicians and prostiitutes speak in tongues as well as
those other HOLY people who just take their time to judge each other and try to impress.
frankly. i don't giva furk.
God said "ASK" and it shall b given..
he did not say Speak in tongues.
i have been to some churches where they gather the new comers to one corner and train them on how to
speak in tonues...

what thar furrk
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by LMAyedun(m): 11:30am On Oct 20, 2013
FearGodAndLive:
Good day Brother, speaking in tongues is not compulsory for Christians. Remember my advice to you earlier. Do not get involved in arguments that do not add to your salvation.

Speaking in tongues, prophecy etc are all gifts that the Lord willingly chooses to give to each one according to His purpose not ours. Remember to focus on the most important..

1 Corinthians 12
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.And yet I will show you the most excellent way.

The next chapter is a lesson for all of us: Learn to love for that's all you need to be Christian.

God's grace be with you.
GBAM!!! You said it all. God bless your heart & increase your understanding.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by kelvinclint(m): 11:34am On Oct 20, 2013
Speakn in tongues doesn't guarantee dt some1 is a christain....
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Ogabarrister(m): 11:37am On Oct 20, 2013
Zatwo: I want to know if speaking in tongues is compulsory for Christians. Whats d benefit? and wat wuld happen if a christian chooses not to

Speaking in tongues is one the great benefit deposited in you when you become a christian to activate the power of God in you, and to have a rich fellowship with God, for its the language of the spirit and its God's language

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by cold(m): 11:38am On Oct 20, 2013
grin

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by IceSplash(f): 11:45am On Oct 20, 2013
for me its nt compulsory cos that aint d only gift of the spirit...if everybody speaks in tongue who will interpret?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by autofreak2020(m): 11:50am On Oct 20, 2013
speaking in tongues tutorial is on going in a celestial church right here in my hood.
You wanna speak in a language your papa and mama will never understand? come and meet emeritus professors of gibberish in my hood or call 080468-CCC-78
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Achmet(m): 12:02pm On Oct 20, 2013
guys try this and thank me later http://nexva.mobi/app/show/id/31274
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by nnagozie(m): 12:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
Adaeze003: 1cor 14:2 for he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men but unto GOD : for NO MAN understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

@op not sure of the ans. This is for those babbling here.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by hardeywhale22(m): 12:15pm On Oct 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Great post!!!
wrong interpretation of His word
if speaking in tongue is a special gift not all His disciples will be beneficial of it....conclusion : speaking in tongue is essential for all christian .....speaking in tongue is a language satan never understand.....

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by aku626(m): 12:18pm On Oct 20, 2013
I believe no christian can speak in tongues if he is not filled with the Holy Ghost, and it is something that comes upon you not just another language.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by unongu(m): 12:21pm On Oct 20, 2013
Is speaking in tongues compulsory? The answer is NO. Is it necessary? The answer is YES. However, as a Catholic, I will react to the question posed in the following way; The Universal Church (Catholic) teaches that speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit. However, the wide spread notion of speaking in tongues promoted by some reformists is false. They utter gibberish and call it speaking in tongues. According to the scripture, such gibberish is not from God.
Speaking in tongues is understood, by the Catholic Church, to mean speaking a human language that is previously unknown to the speaker. This is clearly illustrated at the first Christian Pentecost as recorded in the book of Acts of the Apostles. "When the day of Pentecost came, all the believers were gathered together in one place. Suddenly there was a noise from the sky which sounded like a strong wind blowing and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then they saw what looked like tongues of fire which spread out and touched each person there. They were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to talk in other languages, as the spirit enabled them to speak. There were Jews living in Jerusalem, religious people who had come from every country in the world. When they heard this noise, a large crowd gathered. They were all excited, because, each one of them heard the believers speaking in his or her own language. In amazement and wonder they exclaimed "these people who are talking like this are Galileans! How is it then, that all of us hear them speaking in our own languages?"' (Acts 2:1-cool.
The Apostles spoke a language previously unknown to them; this is clearly biblical evidence that speaking in tongues is NOT the uttering of nonsensical gibberish. More so, we see in the book of 1Corinthians where, Apostle Paul admonished Christians to eschew falsehood and wait for the gift of tongues. (See 1Cor 14:1-40).
The Bible clearly supports the position of the Catholic Church on speaking in tongues, just as it condemns the popular utterances of nonsensical gibberish.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by k2039: 12:49pm On Oct 20, 2013
Mark 16:17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues

Essentially, it's our right as christians, Jesus Christ Himself said it.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by ugojamali(m): 12:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
Ogabarrister:

Speaking in tongues is one the great benefit deposited in you when you become a christian to activate the power of God in you, and to have a rich fellowship with God, for its the language of the spirit and its God's language

Uhm does it mean that English or Hebrew isn't God's language? I thot Hebrew, which was d language God passed to Adam, was His language And I thought tongues were meant to be earthly languages used to preach to foreigners Maybe I thought wrong
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by ShembeGJ: 12:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
My brother, Speaking in tongues is no longer required by Christains at all if we are to follow Apostle Paul's injunction @ 1 Corinthians 13:8-13, especially vs 10&11. Speaking in tongues is among the 'partial' and "childish things" the christain Church were doing in order to prove to unbelievers dat GOD is wth dem, but just like babies they must grow up, and out of those childish things and grow up to an adult. Then, they will nolonger do them(including speaking in tongues) You can do nothing against The Truth-2Corinthians 13:8.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by ShembeGJ: 1:10pm On Oct 20, 2013
mcfynest:

pls tell dem.

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Originalsly: 1:11pm On Oct 20, 2013
benalvino:

gen 10:5
By these were the coastlands of the nations divided in their lands; everyone after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

gen 10:20
These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.

gen 10:31
These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.

And in the days of Artaxerxes wrote Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabeel, and the rest of their companions, unto Artaxerxes king of Persia; and the writing of the letter was written in Aramaic, and set forth in the Aramaic language

from the above we can tell that tongue is language especially ezra 4;7

I will advise you to read the Corinthians you quote till verse 22... and you will get the full idea of what it is saying...

14 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especiallyprophecy.
here the gift is more focused on prophecy not tongues

2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.
this is talking about people who speak foreign language to the church... now tell me which kind prayer you are using to communicate with people? prayer is between God and man... so no need for the people to even hear what you are praying... and the verses is comparing tongue(languages) to prophesies... if you speak in tongues you edify your self because no one understands but it you prophesy you edify the church again the verses are comparing... see verse 3 to 4 below

3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who[b] prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues,[c] unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.
you see that he is not talking about prayers... its like i go to a church in US and start speaking tongues of ijaw... thats what this verses are about.

6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer,[d] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.
now if speaking in tongues is a prayer why will he be speaking in tongues to the people... and see how he says he rather speak intelligible words than speaking in tongues... if it is a gift of prayers why is he rejecting it here?

20 Brothers and sisters, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21 In the Law it is written:

“With other tongues
and through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people,
but even then they will not listen to me,
says the Lord.”

it is obvious that the tongues are other languages

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers. 23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, 25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

you guys should learn how to use context

Speaking in tongues 101. THREAD CLOSED.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by abohrandy: 1:13pm On Oct 20, 2013
i tot when u speak in tongues, at least somebody should b able to understand the gibirish u r yapping nau? undecided undecided and just plenty noise and hot air!!!
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Yoney007(f): 1:21pm On Oct 20, 2013
Power bank is available in all capacities for your Smartphones(Blackberry,Android,Iphone,Samsung e.t.c) and gadgets(Ipad,Pda,Digital camera e.t.c).Get rid of "Battery too low for radio use. Available in all colours to suit your taste. Ping: 26C271CE for more information or call 08036965028 or email - akinlade.funmi@yahoo.com
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Maximus85(m): 1:32pm On Oct 20, 2013
Zatwo: I want to know if speaking in tongues is compulsory for Christians. Whats d benefit? and wat wuld happen if a christian chooses not to

[b] Speaking in Tongues means speaking in different languages. And in Penticos 33CE, the apostles where able to speak different languages and people around who are from different lands were hearing their own language and were wondering how come these people are speaking my language?

So when one man start talking one gibberish that he himself can't understand....just leave him to his madness. 1 Corinthians 14:23

Of what use is the rubbish you say that people around you can't understand? And you expect them to say Amen after your prayer when they can't understand you.

Pastors: please stop saying sweet things to these people. Stop telling then about how to prosper. Teach then Matthew 6:33.

"Tha lord is my shepherd I shall not want"
Its not material provision oooooo. Its spiritual provision, spiritual food. The one we need to grow spiritually and be loved by God.

And when a pastor do business. Must the preaching be on CDs and DVDs? They know the more the members, the more they sell. What part of receive free, give free can't we understand?

And as for Women speaking in front of a church. It is forbidden. 1 Corinthians 14:33-35.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Edoblakky(m): 1:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
Pls let's not misconstrue the gift with the sign of tongues. Mark 16:17 says "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; The gift is not given to everyone but the sign is for every christian. Speaking in tongues helps to build us up. If we do not speak in tongues, growth is hindered. 1Cor 14:2. As a christian, I pray in tongues everyday and I enjoy marvelous fellowship with the Holy Spirit. Those who do not speak in tongues are not believers or they have been deceived. Jesus said its one of the signs to recognise those who believe in Him. Whether or not you accept it is inconsequential!

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit just like healing, prophecy and other gifts. If u say speaking in tongues is compulsory 4 all christians, then healing, prophecying, interpreting dreams and other gifts are compulsory too. Which is false. So brother you see that speaking in tongues is not at all compulsory, but it may be necessary
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Maximus85(m): 1:35pm On Oct 20, 2013
Edoblakky: Pls let's not misconstrue the gift with the sign of tongues. Mark 16:17 says "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; The gift is not given to everyone but the sign is for every christian. Speaking in tongues helps to build us up. If we do not speak in tongues, growth is hindered. 2Cor 14:2. As a christian, I pray in tongues everyday and I enjoy marvelous fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

Which tongue do you speak in? Do you understand what you say? Cos those speaking in tongues knows what they are saying. Tongues = Languages. Don't get it twisted.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Edoblakky(m): 1:42pm On Oct 20, 2013
@Maximus85, 1Cor 14:14 says tho I speak in an unknown tongue my spirit prays but my understanding is unfruitful. That means I do not know what I'm saying. This is the working of the Holy Spirit. You alone know that its God's Spirit at work in you.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nauttyprof(m): 1:47pm On Oct 20, 2013
On the issue of speaking in tongues, men had taught self-teachings and nothing more. It is more of heresy and self-righteousness without having a source in the scripture.

In 1 Corinthians 12:29-30, it therefore means speaking in tongues is not compulsory for all. Also, if you read the book of Acts, you'd realise that it was just two set of people that spoke in tongues asides the apostles - Cornelius and the people of Ephesus. In this same book, Lydia, Ethopian eunuch (preached to by Phillip) and the prison guard (to Paul and Silas) & family never spoke in tongues even after receiving the Holyspirit. Also, if we search the scriptures well, we'll realise that the Bible stated that what the disciples experienced at pentecost was based on the spirit giving them utterance.

It is self teaching to belief that it's a must to speak in tongue. Another question that should be asked is what then is speaking in tongues? Is it the same as what we have this days? This will be for another day.

N.B - There is nowhere in the scripture where it was stated that Praying in the Holyghost means speaking in tongues as this is just the teachings of men and it is not scriptural.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Edoblakky(m): 1:56pm On Oct 20, 2013
@Nauttyprof, don't preach what you don't know I stated what Jesus said in Mark 16:17. Jesus said speaking in tongues is a sign to know those who believe in Him. Also 1Cor 14:14 says praying in the Spirit is tongues. Pls study the scriptures so as not to err.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Xriss: 1:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
FearGodAndLive:
Good day Brother, speaking in tongues is not compulsory for Christians. Remember my advice to you earlier. Do not get involved in arguments that do not add to your salvation.

Speaking in tongues, prophecy etc are all gifts that the Lord willingly chooses to give to each one according to His purpose not ours. Remember to focus on the most important..

1 Corinthians 12
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.And yet I will show you the most excellent way.

The next chapter is a lesson for all of us: Learn to love for that's all you need to be Christian.

God's grace be with you.

GOD BLESS YOU and may you continue rightly divide the word of truth
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by omon24(m): 1:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
Regarding speaking in tongues, the
Bible never tells us that we must
speak in tongues. A good passage is
1 Cor 12:27-31:
“Now you are the body of
Christ, and each one of you is a
part of it. 28And in the church
God has appointed first of all
apostles, second prophets,
third teachers, then workers of
miracles, also those having
gifts of healing, those able to
help others, those with gifts of
administration, and those
speaking in different kinds of
tongues. 29Are all apostles?
Are all prophets? Are all
teachers? Do all work miracles?
30Do all have gifts of healing?
Do all speak in tongues[a]? Do
all interpret? 31But eagerly
desire the greater gifts”.
The obvious answer to his
rhetorical question (in bold) “No, of
course they don’t!”. This idea is
picked up earlier in 1 Cor 12:7-11,
where different gifts are given to
different people as the Spirit
determines. This is a really clear
answer from the Bible, the
Bible doesn’t tell us that we must
speak in tongues.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Ewoma45(f): 2:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
How can I speak in a" language",I do not understand and have no one to interprete it to me? For me sha it is so not compulsory.I know a church where they ask the members if they can speak in tongues and if you can't they would teach you how to.makes me wonder if tongues can be taught
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by stantob(m): 2:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
If it's about this popular nonsense they speak, something like "ra bababababababababababababa, kokokokokokokokokokokoko, kakakakakakakakakakakaka, sha mamamamamamamamamamamamama", then no feeling to go to church. God gives the utterance through the holy spirit, not some one speaking gibberish.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Edoblakky(m): 2:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
Pls let's not continue to err. There is a gift of tongues as seen in 1Cor 12. But there's also a sign of tongues as seen in Mark 16:17. The gift is not for all but the sign is for every believer. Pls study the scriptures to minimize errors because many people on this thread are making a mockery of christianity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? / Why My Wife Is Divorcing Me” – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Finally Reveals / Help! I Am Praying In A Language I Don't Understand.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.