Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Traditionalists Dare Ogun Govt Over Oro Festival - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditionalists Dare Ogun Govt Over Oro Festival (716 Views)

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). / Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Traditionalists Dare Ogun Govt Over Oro Festival by georgecso(m): 10:40am On Jul 19, 2013
Palpable fear has gripped some residents of Ogere, Iperu, Ilishan, Ikenne towns and Irolu all in Remo North and Ikenne Local Government Areas of Ogun State following the threat by Oro cultists to begin their festival in day time contrary to the directive of the state government.

Vanguard gathered that the traditionalists have vowed to go ahead with the festival despite the directive by the Ogun State government which had banned day time Oro festival across the state following a clash between the traditionalists and Muslims in some parts of the state last year.

Vanguard gathered that the traditionalists have vowed to go ahead with the festival despite the directive by the Ogun State government which had banned day time Oro festival across the state following past clashes between the traditionalists and Muslims in some parts of the state last year.

It was gathered that, the atmosphere in the towns is charged following the insistence of the Oro cultists who have reportedly announced the commencement of the festival in different parts of Remo for three consecutive days.

The state government had last year in a letter entittled ‘Annual Oro traditional festival,’ signed by the Permanent Secretary of the Bureau of Cabinet and Special Services, Mrs. K.I. Akinwande given a directive banning such across the state to prevent clashes between traditionalists and Muslims.

The state government while responding to a letter of request by the Ologere of Ogere, Oba Oladele Ogunbade dated July 9, 2013 on whether the Oro cultists should be allowed to hold their festival in day time, said the decision of the government to ban day time Oro festival last year remained intact.

“Please, be informed that at a recent meeting with the Commissioner of Police and Ogun State government, it has been resolved that on no account should any Oro festivals be held during the day again in Ogun State,” government said.

It was, however, gathered that Oba Ogunbade has communicated the decision of the state government to the Oro cultists, but they reportedly insisted in carrying out the festival being an annual event.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/traditionalists-dare-ogun-govt-over-oro-festival/#sthash.vbADZC63.dpuf
Re: Traditionalists Dare Ogun Govt Over Oro Festival by DuduNegro: 10:56am On Jul 19, 2013
Would Ogun govt ban Muslims, or Christians from performing their rites of worahip? Why the ban on Yoruba rites?
Re: Traditionalists Dare Ogun Govt Over Oro Festival by Acidosis(m): 12:45pm On Jul 19, 2013
The christians and muslims will never tell anyone not to walk on the streets because of programmes, events, etc... but these traditional ppl always feel they are above the law...

Sometimes they tell people not to go out of their houses for 3days, 7days, 21days etc, all schools and Churches and Banks and businesses are warned not to open their doors... just because they want to practice their fetish rites...

If I'm made the Governor, I'd arrest anyone making such laws... If they feel they are above the law, I'd declare a total ambush on anyone caught interrupting the peace on the streets..

Its as simple as ABC..

btw, is it not shameful to know most of these traditional chiefs are the deacons and elders in most churches..? grin Oboy, Hell fire go full gan.. grin

Devil go use una nose blow trumpet grin grin

(1) (Reply)

AROS In Diaspora-arochukwu And Arondizogu! / Inter-marriage Between Two Nairalanders / How Many Northerners In Nairaland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.