Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. (51882 Views)

Photos Of The PDP Senators Who Walked Out Because Of Amaechi / Senators Who Accompanied Saraki To CCT Trial Today (photos) / Names Of Senators Who Accompanied Saraki To CCT Yesterday....... [29 In All] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by elkwajawi(m): 11:30am On Jul 20, 2013
May Allah reward these Senators of not following interest of west but rather their Religion and Culture
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Hunkuyee: 11:39am On Jul 20, 2013
If Danjuma Goje of the ruling party can support Yerima,Please where is senator Ahmed Mohammed Makarfi can't you vote to protect you religion?
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by surfaceD: 11:43am On Jul 20, 2013
Oh Allah shower Your blessings on these senators.
Never knew that freedom of religion is not part of democracy.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 20, 2013
Nigeria is sick!
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by jackydon(m): 1:04pm On Jul 20, 2013
This old men nawa 4 dem o
dem say we be the leaders of 2moro yet dem no wan step down mek we rule.

Now dem wan use constitution 4ck our future wives in d name of marriage.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by manmustwac(m): 1:11pm On Jul 20, 2013
Dose this now mean that its now legal for a grown man to have consensual sex with a minor?
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by ogunteluwo(m): 1:31pm On Jul 20, 2013
[quote author=Garri the 1st][/quote]I beg, no talk say shame on Ayo or not. To me, this thing na politics, no ACN among those that said NO..... Imagine now.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by patpeypey: 2:25pm On Jul 20, 2013
http:///m3lxh2f <<Pls sign the petition and stop these paedophiles #ChildNotBride
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by UncleJJ(m): 2:27pm On Jul 20, 2013
its another distraction...hw many pdp senators voted...
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by baby124: 2:57pm On Jul 20, 2013
If you were man enough and complete mentally and physically, you will not need to marry a child all in the name of religion who would have never married you if she was given the choice. I am so ashamed of this country that this is a priority. Passing a bill for child brides. When there are other pertinent bills. At least we are now able to identify the craddle-robbers in government. You want to take away the choice of the Nigerian girl child in 2013. How about passing a law that you cannot enter the NASS without a bachelors degree, so we have less of these illiterate, fanatic monsters in power. This country is totally regressing. What is so manly about marrying a child forcefully? What is right about it? Which child will prefer to marry a 50yr old dying man against a boy/man of her peers? If she is below 18, leave her alone! Perverts! Dirty animals!
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by PastorOla1: 2:59pm On Jul 20, 2013
ANTI-PEOPLE SENATORS
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by SamIkenna: 3:01pm On Jul 20, 2013
I no longer feel ashamed of Nigeria, its not worth it anymore. I only feel sorry for those who still have hope for a true one-Nigeria.

I don't know how Nigeria will move when its been pulled in opposite directions by equal forces. A look at the senators who voted for this historic disgrace tells it all. The same reason they voted for this ignomy is the same reason they refuse to let Almajiri die a natural death. According to them its either culture or religion, meaning - you cant touch our ways and whatnot, yeah we might be in the same nation but I dont have to respect our common laws 'cause they're not consistent with my culture or religion.

I ask my fellow "so-called intelligent" people of MB (and I mean southern-leaning MB), West And East, when are we going to realize there's no benefit in trying to pull a weight that's bigger than us?

A people want sharia, the same people want child marriage, they refuse to vacinate against polio, they insist on owning Aso rock, their young males marry 3 or more wives at a drop of a hat and, in a jiffy, send the kids into Almajiridom, their Almajiris in turn kill our graduates for nothing other than election losses or religious extremism, they drag us into OIC, they unleash Boko Haram on us, their youth abhor western education, we give give them a score of two as opposed to a score of 138 for a kid from Anambra, yet we still dont see the unfeasibility of a one true nation with this people?

If we're not a mad people for putting up with this mess for over 50 years, then I think madness must and should be redefined ASAP.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Katsumoto: 3:05pm On Jul 20, 2013
Sam_Ikenna: I no longer feel ashamed of Nigeria, its not worth it anymore. I only feel sorry for those who still have hope for a true one-Nigeria.

I don't know how Nigeria will move when its been pulled in opposite directions by equal forces. A look at the senators who voted for this historic disgrace tells it all. The same reason they voted for this ignomy is the same reason they refuse to let Almajiri die a natural death. According to them its either culture or religion, meaning - you cant touch our ways and whatnot, yeah we might be in the same nation but I dont have to respect our common laws 'cause they're not consistent with my culture or religion.

I ask my fellow "so-called intelligent" people of MB (and I mean southern-leaning MB), West And East, when are we going to realize there's no benefit in trying to pull a weight that's bigger than us?

A people want sharia, the same people want child marriage, they refuse to vacinate against polio, they insist on owning Aso rock, their young males marry 3 or more wives at a drop of a hat and, in a jiffy, send the kids into Almajiridom, their Almajiris in turn kill our graduates for nothing other than election losses or religious extremism, they drag us into OIC, they unleash Boko Haram on us, their youth abhor western education, we give give them a score of two as opposed to a score of 138 for a kid from Anambra, yet we still dont see the unfeasibility of a one true nation with this people?

If we're not a mad people for putting up with this mess for over 50 years, then I think madness must and should be redefined ASAP.

Well put - Nigeria needs to be re-organized or dissolved. I guess its better for these senators to discuss the merits of underage marriages instead of discussing the future of Nigeria.

Each day, Nigeria moves closer to violent destruction.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2013
St_Black:
i actually decided to take it upon myself to make a bit of contribution on this post.. ill like to make a BIG contrast of this to the isuue on ground

(1) Though such tribes collect bride price, DO THEY FORCFULL PUSH THEIR DAUGTHER INTO MARRIAGE all in the name of that money they want?....Definitely, d girl is fully prepared and PERSONALLY willing to marry REGARDLESS her age UNLIKE a small girl who doesnt know d word "MARRIAGE" but is been indirectly or directly forced into the state.

(2) Pls tell me d barbaric act here:
Seeking ur little girl's consent and then WAITING for d man who will pay her price OR FORCING ur little girl to marry regardless of her age, intellect and WILL?..... .

(3) ...and hence, did the parents force u to pay if u love their daughter? and if actually u r willing to pay, THEY DEFINITELY WILL HAVE SEEK FOR D CONSENT OF THEIR DAUGHTER OR ELSE, NO MARRIAGE WITHOUT HER CONSENT!....Though i actually know d TRIBE in question, im not of d TRIBE.

....Though u may have made some viable defences on ur position(s), BUT U ACTUALLY OCCUR TO HAVE SHOT URSELF ON THE FOOT WITH THESE! smiley

Bro, I believe arranged marriages still exist in those cultures that take bride price. It might be in the minority now, but you and I can't deny that it still exist. And no matter how you look at it, arranged marriages are also forceful marriages.

Also we can argue that they aren't forcing no one to pay bride price, however, we can't deny that it's a prerequisite for marrying into those cultures - and without respecting their culture(s), you won't be given the privilege to be part of it. Paying a price for a bride is also like a form of slavery and buying the bride, hence why you can have African parents who live in different countries, doing their own thing and hardly ever see each other - yet they're still technically married because someone paid the price for the other person.

Anyway, I'm not against that practice and it's part of my culture as well. I respect it for what it stands for as a Yoruba boy - since it's part of my life. I also want other people to respect it. However, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy in people's thought process, when they also have certain aspects of their culture(s) - that might look medieval and barbaric to other people.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Malubi(m): 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2013
Red_Card: They are just planning on taking over the teenage girls around. Period! A 12years old girl should go into marriage if she wants and 2 male adults who loves and admire each other shouldn't get married? Nigeria is just too slow and sick-minded.
GOD Help us.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by SamIkenna: 3:09pm On Jul 20, 2013
Pastor Ola: ANTI-PEOPLE SENATORS

I beg to differ. I would say they're representing their people and culture. However, we dont have to take it. We can cut them loose to go and have their paedophilistan, sharianistan, Bokohorostan, or Arewistan republic. We have been dealing with this backwardness for almost eternity yet we as a people keep sucking up to them. For as long as we remain Nigeria with this sort of mindset, we will remain a third-world country.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 20, 2013
Sam_Ikenna: I no longer feel ashamed of Nigeria, its not worth it anymore. I only feel sorry for those who still have hope for a true one-Nigeria.

I concur.

One-Nigeria is a myth - the earlier everyone starts accepting that, the better for the people. The people and their outlook are different and you can't create a universal law for everyone, hence why the country will always be ungovernable.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by donrichy: 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
Stupid senators if dey can legalise dis law den let dem legalise same sex marriage imagine dis pple ar gradually implementin islamic laws into our constitution.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Katsumoto: 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
Sam_Ikenna:

I beg to differ. I would say they're representing their people and culture. However, we dont have to take it. We can cut them loose to go and have their paedophilistan, sharianistan, Bokohorostan, or Arewistan republic. We have been dealing with this backwardness for almost eternity yet we as a people keep sucking up to them. For as long as we remain Nigeria with this sort of mindset, we will remain a third-world country.

How can they be representing 12-14 year olds who contract health problems that last a life time? On Sharia and other issues, I might agree but on this issue, the old perverts are only representing themselves because the little girls don't have anyone fighting their corner.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by SamIkenna: 3:26pm On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:

Well put - Nigeria needs to be re-organized or dissolved. I guess its better for these senators to discuss the merits of underage marriages instead of discussing the future of Nigeria.

Each day, Nigeria moves closer to violent destruction.

I have lost all hope for the revival of this nation. In fact, this latest nail in the coffin comfirms to me that I was right. I had hoped that, maybe, just maybe, the senators would do the right thing and lampoon this Yerima fella, instead they gave him a victory. What on earth will make a grown man look at a kid in an intimate way? My God! Why am I in the same universe with such a man. Yet this same man or men are members of a house that's charged with making laws for me - for me and you!

This must be the greatest joke of all time. I mean if a man is sexually unrestrained that much, what about grown women with all the assets in the right places. Why choose a little kid that's practically undeveloped both in physical and mental aspects. They say its their religion. They say their prophet took a kid to bed. Duh, if your prophet took a kid to bed maybe its time to denounce such prophet.

Our best bet is to cut North West and North East loose. The more we wait the longer we remain in this backwardness.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by oluxy(m): 3:27pm On Jul 20, 2013
Bunch of fools that don't have the interest of peoples and ordinary nigerian at heart.

Sleeping with under age; Yerima must be foolish. There maybe something that there are using the blood of the under age for.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by SamIkenna: 3:40pm On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:

How can they be representing 12-14 year olds who contract health problems that last a life time? On Sharia and other issues, I might agree but on this issue, the old perverts are only representing themselves because the little girls don't have anyone fighting their corner.

But can we change that? Yes they're old men who're pretty much acting like old soviet leaders, hanging on to a decaying system simply for self-preservation and whatnot, but what can we do? Its a fight we can't win so we might as well count our losses and move on.

Let me ask you this - Do you think if the south was holding the core north with this sort of backwardness we would still be talking of One-Nigeria?

My brother, we're losing this war. Let someone tell me one thing the south has helped the core north change. Now they have added child slavery and paedophilia to their list of unending ignomy. In another 50 years or so we'll be back here fighting the consequences of this idiotic law plus that of Almajirism. Lets run while we can lest we get blamed for it when in the next 50 years all the victims of this law start killing us like boko haram.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Katsumoto: 3:49pm On Jul 20, 2013
Sam_Ikenna:

But can we change that? Yes they're old men who're pretty much acting like old soviet leaders, hanging on to a decaying system simply for self-preservation and whatnot, but what can we do? Its a fight that we wont win so we might as well count our losses and move on.

Let me ask you this - Do you think if the south was holding the core north with this sort of backwardness we would still be talking of One-Nigeria?

My brother, we're losing this war. Let someone tell me one thing the south has helped the core north change. Now they have added child slavery and paedophilia to their list of unending ignomy. In another 50 years we will be fighting the consequences of this idiotic law plus that of Almajirism. Lets run while we can lest we get blamed for it when in the next 50 years all the victims of this law start killing us like boko haram.

But how do you achieve that when the senators who were elected don't have the gumption to prioritize issues and do the right thing? The problems Nigeria faces are real and dangerous and there are practical solutions but everyone is just keeping shut.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by tafadodo: 4:03pm On Jul 20, 2013
its a shame we always justify our foolishness with the koran.the koran does not tell us to marry more than one wife much more rape our little daughters with justification of the koran. it shows that our some clerics are not called.atrue cleric has one wife and advises his congregation to follow suit.the koran speaks with parables and as evil minded as we are we interprete it for our selfish and wicked acts .
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by bankyblue(m): 4:07pm On Jul 20, 2013
manmustwac: Dose this now mean that its now legal for a grown man to have consensual sex with a minor?

Not until it pass through the house of REPs on Tuesday.
Then it will be law

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by skyfall: 7:17pm On Jul 20, 2013
Thanks to Senator Ojudu who exposed the paedophiles. You can engage with him on Twitter... @ojudu or www.ojudubabafemi.com/index.php
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 20, 2013
U must be mad to generalise all catholic priests and who told u some pastors hav not commited d abominable act or is it becos evrytin about catholics is widely knwn and that's becos we are 1/4 of d world population. We denounced it and d offenders evn those who commited it yrs back were sent out of priesthood.
So dnt think we conceal evil on our side and condenm others.
What is wrong is wrong no matter who committed d offence!
ShyM-X:
Also, I'm not muslim but when will an African Christian come out and denounce pedophilic catholic priests all over the continent who're ra.ping little black boys in the ar.se? undecided undecided
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by biolabee(m): 8:22pm On Jul 20, 2013
Hi guys, please help sign the e-petition

" United Nations: Stop The Nigerian Senate From Making Under-Age Marriage The Law!" on Change.org.

It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link:

stop child bride
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by SamIkenna: 8:41pm On Jul 20, 2013
Folks, just thinking about it. For those who use the prophet as their justification, how about we make it ok for a 50+ woman to marry a toddler. Or is that against the prophet's wishes? And for those who use a monumentally decayed culture as a reason, I ask - won't it be ok and equally generous to marry off your little male children to 50, 70, 80 year old women and then wait for the boys to reach puberty so they can consumate the marriage? I mean whats wrong with that?

If you support a senile old male fool's lust and hunger to marry a little baby girl why not support same for women, or are we more equal than women? Any man that marries a little girl is a very weak man with a pathological obsession for control. Marry your equal and stop hiding under outdated and ungodly religious/cultural practices.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 20, 2013
U r a son of a bitch!how dare u insult d pope and d catholic doctrine like that! Whr in d catholic doctrine have u seen that d act is part of us!infact ur father is a dog! U idiot from a tribe full of molesters!afta al it was ur father who molested his daughters! DEVIL!
ShyM-X:

However, how many black Christians have come out to denounce this savagely act? How many of them have questioned their priests and their pedophilic culture, which is part of the Roman Catholic doctrine? Even the pope condones it.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jul 20, 2013
^^^How many times am I going to tell you to stop quoting me, you hairy chested and sweaty beards having primitive ape from the forest?

Sod off! undecided

Muthaphuck ya pedo catholic priests! undecided
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by IgweOO(m): 11:28pm On Jul 20, 2013
omobadan: List of senators whose votes helped legalise underage marriage and how it happened (Voting Sheet)

by Stanley Azuakola

We now know how senators voted on the constitution amendment bill which caused an uproar in the senate on Tuesday.

READ: Senate Fails To Get Enough Votes To Deal Blow On Underage Marriage, Backs Pension For Its Leadership

The section up for amendment had to do with persons qualified to renounce Nigerian citizenship. The constitution in Section 29 says anyone of age can do so. Section 29(4) (b) says that ” any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.” It means that even a child if married can be seen to be of full age and as such can renounce citizenship. The committee proposed that that provision be deleted.

When it was put to vote, 2/3 of members present voted for it which meant it was deleted. But, not so fast.

Enter Senator Ahmed Yerima of Zamfara, the controversial former governor of Zamfara who tried to stoke religious sentiments. He said it was against Islamic law. Yerima got married to a teenager a few years ago, and going by the provision, the girl who is still not 18 cannot be said to be of age.

Sen. Yerima needs to watch this video: Watch: Genius: Meet The Most Politically Aware And Lucid 12 Year Old In The World

He kicked and began to mobilise his fellow Muslims in the Senate and it was threatening to cause confusion. Despite the senate president, David Mark insisting that it could no longer be revisited as it had been voted upon, Yerima continued his objection.

Due to the sensitive nature, Mark had to call for another vote. At this point the Senators who were in favour of this clause could no longer muster 2/3 of the votes that will retain Section 29, Clause 4 (b). Senators still voted 60 votes to 35 votes for the clause to be deleted, but it did not satisfy the 2/3 requirement and so, according to the senate version, “any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.”

Thanks to Sen. Babafemi Ojudu (Ekiti Central, ACN), we have the full list of the senators who voted NO)

The senators who voted NO, that is those who did not want the clause deleted, include the following:

1. Sen. Abdulmumin M. Hassan (Jigawa South West, PDP)

2. Sen. Abdullahi Danladi (Jigawa North West, PDP)

3. Sen. Adamu Abdullahi (Nasarawa West, PDP)

4. Sen. Ahmed Barata (Adamawa South, PDP)

5. Sen. Akinyelure Ayo (Ondo Central, Labour Party)

6. Sen. Alkali Saidu A. (Gombe North, PDP)

7. Sen. Bagudu Abubakar A. (Kebbi Central, PDP)

8. Sen. Dahiru Umaru (Sokoto South, PDP)

9. Sen. Galaudu Isa (Kebbi North, PDP)

10. Sen. Garba Gamawa (Bauchi North, PDP)

11. Sen. Danjuma Goje Mohammed (Gombe Central, PDP)

12. Sen. Gobir Ibrahim (Sokoto East, PDP)

13. Sen. Gumba Adamu Ibrahim (Bauchi South, PDP)

14. Sen. Hadi Sirika (Katsina North, CPC)

15. Sen. Ibrahim Bukar Abba (Yobe East, ANPP)

16. Sen. Jajere Alkali (Yobe South, ANPP)

17. Sen. Jibrilla Mohammed (Adamawa North, PDP)

18. Sen. Kabiru Gaya (Kano South, ANPP)

19. Sen. Lafiagi Mohammed (Kwara North, PDP)

20. Sen. Lawan Ahmad (Yobe North, ANPP)

21. Sen. Maccido Mohammed (Sokoto North, PDP)

22. Sen. Musa Ibrahim (Niger North, CPC)

23. Sen. Ndume Mohammed Ali (Borno South, PDP)

24. Sen. Sadiq A. Yaradua (Katsina Central, CPC)

25. Sen. Saleh Mohammed (Kaduna Central, CPC)

26. Sen. Tukur Bello (Adamawa Central, PDP)

27. Sen. Ugbesia Odion (Edo Central, PDP)

28. Sen. Umar Abubakar (Taraba Central, PDP)

29. Sen. Usman Abdulaziz (Jigawa North East, PDP)

30. Sen. Ya’au Sahabi (Zamfara North, PDP)

31. Sen. Zannah Ahmed (Borno Central, PDP)

32. Sen. Ahmad Rufai Sani (Zamfara West, ANPP)

33. Sen. Ahmad Abdul Ningi (Bauchi Central, PDP)

34. Sen. Bello Hayatu Gwano (Kano North, PDP)

35. Sen. Ibrahim Abu (Katsina South, CPC)

Some senators did not register to vote, while some abstained.

After the second voting, Yerima tried to get up to thank the Senate Present and his colleagues in an attempt to claim victory, he was shouted down and booed.

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=111726

I thought it takes a certain number of votes/dates/hearing to get a bill passed in senate? It hasn't been long since this bill was introduced yet it made law in a snap. Meanwhile there are lots of other important bills that has been on for over 10 years of Nigeria's democracy, yet they haven't been passed. (eg: Free of Information Bill, Health Care bill and many more). This law (Legalization of underage marriage) will be the beginning of a bigger problem for Nigeria as a country.

Marriage in itself is a contract. And we all know that underage/minor are considered not fit to enter into contract under the law but when the same law validates/legalizes underage marriage (contract), it validates any other contract a minor enters even when its clearly not a healthy contract. Imagine an underage entering into a contract to take part in a pornographic movie. With this law (Legalization of underage marriage), the right of children as minors wouldn't be protected anymore. Our children are no longer safe in Nigeria.

#Are these senators really representing us there?

#Who in his sane mind would want to marry anyone at such young age?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

President Buhari’s Most Recent Missteps / Governor Sanwo-Olu Names Cabinet (Full List) / Charging Of Phones Infront Of My Office In Badagry This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.