Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,463 members, 7,781,342 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:45 PM

Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka (38141 Views)

Abacha's Daughter, Gumsu Mocks Amaechi On Instagram Over Buhari Appointment Snub / Sani Abacha’s Daughter, Gumsu Slams Fayose Over Controversial Advertorial / Abacha's Daughter Lash-Out At Wole Soyinka On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by oyadalo: 6:35pm On Jul 19, 2013
Gumsu, one of the daughters of the late maximum ruler, Gen. Sani Abacha, has taken to Twitter to snarl abuse at Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka
She described the iconic writer as an “empty professor”, accusing him of assuming the role of a critic in the Nigerian polity because of financial gains.

Though the reason behind the Twitter rant could not be ascertained as at the time of filing this report, her earlier message in a tweet had stated, “Do the thing you fear the most. If there’s one thing that will change your thoughts quicker than anything else, it’s facing your fears.”

However, no sooner had she posted the tweet than a barrage of criticisms started trailing her comment. The first set of criticisms came from some of her fans on the social network.

One Sal Adeleke, tweeting via @HAJMAJA, said, “Look, if you bring in Soyinka, people might get offended and start insulting your family. I wouldn’t like that to happen for a reason. Please, don’t get involved in this game. It seems you have transformed to something else since the release of Al-Mustapha. What’s going on?’’

But just as Adeleke predicted, a floodgate of criticism was unleashed on Gumsu by many Nigerians who deemed her action as an utter disrespect to the person and standing of Soyinka.

Many viewed the attack as a wild and extremely rude show of disrespect while others described her effrontery as “shameless boldness.’’ Some accused Gumsu of not having responsible adults in her family, with many others urging her to return the money his father looted before coming out to comment on national issues.

A Twitter user, Sam Adebayo, tweeting via @olujiire, said, “Do you set yourself on memory lane to remember how your father died? I bet you don’t have elders in your household.’’

trendydoc..com has learnt also of Another user of the micro-blogging service, Paul, explained that he is still at a loss as to how a daughter of a renowned ‘thief’ would describe Soyinka as an “empty professor.’’

He said, “Imagine , the daughter of a thief, referring to a renowned Prof Wole Soyinka as a mad empty professor.I wonder!’’

Lending a voice to the criticism, Nigeria’s online hacking group, NaijaCyberHactivists, tweeting via @NaijaCyberHack, said, “It is unfortunate that a family like yours (Gumsu) still comment on issues in this country. A family that defines all what shame connotes.’’

A member of the popular online forum, nairaland.com, with the name, Phull said, “What did your Father Abacha amount to in this life with all the stolen billions and hundreds of murdered Nigerians? What have you as a person achieved in your pathetic existence?

“Professor Wole Soyinka is one of the brightest lights from Nigeria and Africa, on his own merit alone! This is a man who was at one point or the other Professor at Harvard, Cornell, with Honorary Doctorate degrees from Leeds, Harvard, and Princeton.

“In case you don’t know, these are not the schools where ‘thieves’ are awarded phoney Honoris Causa. In fact, no one in your generation would be considered worthy of admission even into any of these universities for you are so dull, you have absolutely no brains that can be educated!’’

Threading softly with Gumsu, one Thomas George asked, “Gumsu, what has Prof Soyinka done to deserve this tongue lashing? He is a Nigerian icon, in this time of very few of his type, you know.’’

One Shehu Muhammad-Bello said on Twitter that Gumsu’s attack on Soyinka could be a desperate attempt by her to get favour and attention from the wife of the President, Patience Jonathan, as the latter recently took a swipe at the Nobel laureate.

www.gistdoctor.com

1 Like

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Garrithe1st: 6:42pm On Jul 19, 2013
FOolish daughter of a murderer!!

cool

39 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 19, 2013
Kai

2 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by thaoriginator: 6:51pm On Jul 19, 2013
Mumu gal ah looking fi attention me guess she ah fi gwan get some.
Battyman abacha weh a fi loot wi treasury a lon time ago. Mi nuh send nuh battybwoy ya hearr mi faya burn dem. Mi gwan!

7 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by tuasefemi(m): 6:55pm On Jul 19, 2013
wonders they say shall never end,at least not in Nigeria!
Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:05pm On Jul 19, 2013
This might not be far from d truth...

She just might wanted the first lady's attention

4 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Maxymilliano(m): 7:08pm On Jul 19, 2013
The question should be what provoked Gumsu's outburst in the first place, why pick on Prof out of over 160Million Nigerians ?

11 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Boy2boy: 7:12pm On Jul 19, 2013
Ok
Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by DerideGull(m): 7:15pm On Jul 19, 2013
The alleged tribally induced vitriolic attacks on the person of Gumsu for expressing her opinion amount to collective idiocy.

17 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by omiobo: 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2013
If not for the kin country wey we dey,she no suppose get mouth to talk. Now she don remember nigerians about the evil deeds of her father. I pity her.

6 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by greatgod2012(f): 8:05pm On Jul 19, 2013
SLIDE waxie: This might not be far from d truth...

She just might wanted the first lady's attention

that is exactly what is happening.....SHE IS LOOKING FOR THE FIRST LADY'S ATTENTION and shes got it, i tell you, from a reliable source.
Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by seunfly: 11:06pm On Jul 19, 2013
I will be ashamed of my self if d daugther of a well known killer, human right abuser, bad leader and useless living creature is by my side. I think it speak volume of anybody who has d support of hardcore son of Hitler, it means dt person is Hitler in nature.

7 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by masu: 1:46am On Jul 20, 2013
when will our yoruba brothers get matured.

now all of them are jumping into response to this young girl comment.
is this the sophistication you all blab about. pls this is childish.

wole belittled himself the moment he went into market fight with a woman(PEG)
That moment he lost my respect. as soon as am concern all we see in him now is "WOLE" the "SOYINKA" has far gone.
SOYINKA is the real professor we know but
WOLE is the tribalist and cultist tht is all that remain in him now.

48 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by masu: 1:51am On Jul 20, 2013
you guys are too predictable.

if a comment from one person can bring out entire tribe smh.

this is why prof achebes book continue geting response from every yorubaman. its a pity.

learn to be silence sometime, acting like market women aint helping you guys.

23 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by masu: 1:59am On Jul 20, 2013
who even told you guys that other nigerian tribe value wole soyinka.
we have not forgoten his establishment of confraternity in this country.

how manytimes hav yoruba people insult other tribes icon? Babangida, buhari, Abacha, Ojukwu, Danjuma etc.
how many of their kins men do you guys see outside rabbling about like mad people.

i use to like you guys but i can see that you guys are too tribal to be liberal.
i blv from now that wat ibo people are saying about you guys is true.

you guys are too sentimental, emotional, tribalists and childish to relate with. all this irretates.

44 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by slap1(m): 2:20am On Jul 20, 2013
masu: when will our yoruba brothers get matured.

That moment he lost my respect. as soon as am concern all we see in him now is "WOLE" the "SOYINKA" has far gone.
So you know the prof's name, title and even surname? Wao! Are you aware that he is not aware of your miserable existence?

66 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by slap1(m): 2:26am On Jul 20, 2013
masu: who even told you guys that other nigerian tribe value wole soyinka.

how manytimes hav yoruba people insult other tribes icon? Babangida, buhari, Abacha, Ojukwu, Danjuma etc.
how many of their kins men do you guys see outside rabbling about like mad people.

i use to like you guys but i can see that you guys are too tribal to be liberal.

you guys are too sentimental, emotional, tribalists and childish to relate with. all this irretates.
Don't play the tribal card, it's not what it is. Nwa afo Igbo ka m bu! Ihotago?

13 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Gold2NairaCom(m): 3:09am On Jul 20, 2013
Quite interesting.
Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by dabrake(m): 4:30am On Jul 20, 2013
tha_originator: Mumu gal ah looking fi attention me guess she ah fi gwan get some.
Battyman abacha weh a fi loot wi treasury a lon time ago. Mi nuh send nuh battybwoy ya hearr mi faya burn dem. Mi gwan!
this your eegbo no get counterfeit. I swear.

1 Like

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by dabrake(m): 4:33am On Jul 20, 2013

you deserve some barrage of abacha-.destroying slaps.

6 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Vansnickers: 5:08am On Jul 20, 2013

Market fight?! What Market fight? Soyinka only gave constructive criticism.

You people are deluded. Jobless Nigerians.

23 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Ivynwa(f): 5:10am On Jul 20, 2013
Gumsu should have known better than to be disrespectful while rolling in the $100million remnant of(Nigeria's stolen money) that Obasanjo was made to forego to her Mama. It's like she drank plenty rum and champagne and was drunk when she tweeted that. Wallowing in stolen money and dissing a man that worked hard to build his reputation. What's wrong with her?

tha_originator: Mumu gal ah looking fi attention me guess she ah fi gwan get some.

Who be this Jamo wannabe? grin grin
The bolded is funny.

2 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by carzola(m): 5:13am On Jul 20, 2013
Pliz haf d 911 cum and quench d fire in abacha pickin child house?
Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by laykhorn(m): 6:09am On Jul 20, 2013
This is the point I really like the most. That NL guy really did show what you must have to survive on NL.

A member of the popular online forum,
nairaland.com, with the name, Phull said, “What did your Father Abacha amount to in this life with all the stolen billions and hundreds of murdered Nigerians? What have you as a person achieved in your pathetic existence? “Professor Wole Soyinka is one of the brightest lights from Nigeria and Africa, on his own merit alone! This is a man who was at one point or the other Professor at Harvard, Cornell, with
Honorary Doctorate degrees from Leeds,
Harvard, and Princeton. “In case you don’t know, these are not the schools where ‘thieves’ are awarded phoney
Honoris Causa. In fact, no one in your generation would be considered worthy of admission even into any of these universities for you are so dull, you have absolutely no brains that can be educated!’’

6 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Danhumprey: 7:17am On Jul 20, 2013
I would rather prefer the daughter of Adolf Hitler than the shameless daughter of a cruel,maximum dictator. You get me drift??

Even though both girls are daughters of cruel dictators,Hitler's daughter(that is,if he had a daughter)would still be my most preferred. Attention seeker!!
Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Tolexander: 7:33am On Jul 20, 2013
Well!

This is nigeria where the men that looted the treasury are deciding things for the nation. Why won't the daughter of a looter run mouth like that of a baby duck.
Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by fr3do(m): 8:32am On Jul 20, 2013
masu: who even told you guys that other nigerian tribe value wole soyinka.

How do u survive with so much hate and negative energy radiating through u.this ur bigotry is next to witchcraft.

6 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Ayus34(m): 8:59am On Jul 20, 2013

sorry to say but so important that ur type is not worth living...how do u arrive at ur point that wole is a tribalist?u will have to convince me if amaechi is a yoruba man,if wole soyinka's action during the protest of SNG Is stage to bring in a jonathan as president or also for a yoruba man....cant still understand if the support he gave to ojukwu on d biafra war issue is also for a yoruba man,or bring out a fact where soyinka cult group is meant to forment trouble,because u label him a cultist which i cannot assert the authencity of ur bigoted claim.....even the nigeria police run by the fg govt. today is worst than student cults,killing people anyhow because of 20naira note,used to rig elections and endanger the future of the country,used as a tool to distabilise a lagitimate govt like what we have in rivers state....my friend i will not blame u but ur brain that seems to function like a pentium 1 desktop computer,memory so low and need a state of emergency to upgrade ur brain....calling a noble man like wole a tribalist,i wonder what you will call ur father for refusing u proper training and limiting ur potentials.dont care if u take dis wrongly and fight back but posterity will not forgive ur brain for shaming u and refusing to accept stated facts.

72 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by ayox2003: 9:56am On Jul 20, 2013
Maxymilliano: The question should be what provoked Gumsu's outburst in the first place, why pick on Prof out of over 160Million Nigerians ?

Imagine, the sorta question u asking? Anyways, because 160million nigerians would not talk and make their grievances known. Wole Soyinka spoke against her fathers regime while 160million nigerians were scared and silent. Soyinka spoke for Biafrans who were not his kinsmen and got jailed, Soyinka spoke against OBJ, his kinsman. So what ridiculous question are you asking, Mister?

Adolf Hitler said: What luck for the rulers that men do not think.

In simple terms, Hitler, who led Germans to a failed war, was saying that rulers are always lucky because the people they govern don't think. If Germans, who all speak the same language, could not think, but supported Hitler in his bid to rule the world, I dont expect bigoted nigerians to.

Think!

Frawzey

25 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by ayox2003: 10:02am On Jul 20, 2013
masu: you guys are too predictable.

if a comment from one person can bring out entire tribe smh.

this is why prof achebes book continue geting response from every yorubaman. its a pity.

learn to be silence sometime, acting like market women aint helping you guys.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Achebe's number one antagonist!

Frawzey

7 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Brimmie(m): 10:10am On Jul 20, 2013
That Bii.tch Shld Be In Jail By Now!!

She Was Used By His Dad Back Then!
Re: Abacha’s Daughter Under-Fire For Attacking Soyinka by Gbawe: 10:30am On Jul 20, 2013
Maxymilliano: The question should be what provoked Gumsu's outburst in the first place, why pick on Prof out of over 160Million Nigerians ?

Dude, you surely cannot be unaware of recent history to be unaware of why every child of Abacha may thoroughly hate a man who tormented their brutal, murderous and dictatorial brute of a father while he was in office? This girl simply hates Soyinka because he was one of the main antagonist of her father who would not stop telling the world how evil, brutal and vile Abacha was. She was merely looking for anything to attack the prof with.

This girl's antics directly shows how perverse some Nigerians are. Her father was a nasty, evil tyrant who murdered many, including the likes of Ken Saro-Wiwa, in cold blood yet she has the nerve to hate those who stood against him and are shining examples of what Nigerians can be, i.e the best in their field of endeavour, while her father is a Hitler-type disgrace every sensible Nigerian is ashamed to share nationhood with.

Only in Nigeria, because demonic evil goes unpunished, that this girl will be emboldened to attack others perhaps because they stood against the perverse evil her father exemplified. While off-springs of Hitler and other 'monsters' in history change their name and live 'underground' the children of Nigeria's most evil men, like Abacha, are strutting about proudly and attacking those who have brought nothing but pride to the Nigerian stock while their brutal forebears murdered others, decimated Nigeria and ruined the lives of generations unborn. Sick nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wole_Soyinka

Soyinka has strongly criticised many Nigerian military dictators, especially late General Sanni Abacha, as well as other political tyrannies, including the Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe. Much of his writing has been concerned with "the oppressive boot and the irrelevance of the colour of the foot that wears it".[citation needed] During the regime of General Sani Abacha (1993–98), Soyinka escaped from Nigeria via the "Nadeco Route" on a motorcycle. Living abroad, mainly in the United States, he was a professor first at Cornell University and then at Emory University in Atlanta, where in 1996 he was appointed Robert W. Woodruff Professor of the Arts. Abacha proclaimed a death sentence against him "in absentia". With civilian rule restored to Nigeria in 1999, Soyinka returned to his nation. He has also taught at the universities of Oxford, Harvard and Yale.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG’s 774,000 Jobs Begin Today / Photos Of Dignitaries At Wedding Of Gov Amosun's Daughter & Abike Dabiri's Son / Andy Uba: I Am Very Sure I Will Win Anambra Governorship Election (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.