Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,586 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

What Is Wrong Using Free Template - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Is Wrong Using Free Template (1402 Views)

Buy Domain&hosting, Get A FREE Template / What Is Wrong With Yahoo Mail? / How Do I Implement Using Free Pdf Download To Capture Visitors Details (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong Using Free Template by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 20, 2013
I found there are good and wonderful free website template online. Please i need your own opinion, what is wrong downloading and modifying free web site template, because am just curious why they could be so generous without no string attached
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by jeshurun07: 12:37pm On Jul 26, 2013
Nothing really but you have to:

- Be sure there are no embedded codes within the template that can harm your site later on. A friends once used a free template for his site only to discover later that there was a javascript embedded within the pages that re-directed visitots to another site.

- nothing really is free, the owners of the template at a minimum would want free adverts and they would have ways of checking if you keep to your side of the bargain.

- if you are a pro, this might not be a big deal but if you are just starting out, using free templates means you may not learn much after you are done. it becomes the case of teaching a man to fish Versus giving him the fish.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 26, 2013
Thanks Sir
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by yawatide(f): 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2013
Sometimes, they also want you to maintain a link in your footer that says it is free and where it came from. The assumption is that someone will like it, contact them and from there, they can get well paying customers due to their generosity.

Some things are indeed free. Some people in our community just like to give back. If you think I am lying, when was the last time you paid to use jQuery or twitter bootstrap or Firebug? I thank God for these guys every day and pray that I too have the opportunity to give back for free.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 26, 2013
santa maria! awoof dey run belle too much! Nigerians tooo like awoooooof!
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by winexviv: 10:51pm On Jul 26, 2013
Using free templates is not a bad idea when working on low budget jobs. But incase of High budget jobs, you really need to think outside the box.
Before you even start using free templates you need to be a pro, meaning that templates should be sources of inspiration and not a limitation. As a pro you can doctor it to a level that even the owner of the template will never recognise it.

But wait ehhhh. When will Nigeria developers start giving back to the internet? like building free templates for people to download, building stuffs like jQuery....
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by brine(m): 2:23am On Jul 27, 2013
shollynoob: why they could be so generous without no string attached

This question reminds me of a question I used to ask myself when I was still a young boy "why could the likes of Stv,Channels,AIT be so generous to 'appear' free on my TV screen" . lol

For 1 single free theme,the theme author definitely has 10 premium themes to sell. Another strategy is to make a theme free and sell support. It's all marketing cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 27, 2013
winexviv:
But wait ehhhh. When will Nigeria developers start giving back to the internet? like building free templates for people to download, building stuffs like jQuery....

Now that you have mentioned it,I think you should walk the talk.Perhaps you could make some of your plugins GPL-2.0.
I sure would love to see more open source projects.Truth is we are all beneficiaries of open source and its high time we start giving back.

BTW.Whats the difference between a free and a commercial template?. Price?.
Personally, I ve found that most commercial templates have a limited scope and prefer to start with base themes and tweak them to my taste.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by Pins(m): 10:26am On Jul 27, 2013
I think some nigerians are already doing some free stuffs.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by veightar: 10:37am On Jul 27, 2013
To use a free template, you must abide by the terms and conditions; which sometimes sucks.
Well, we can think of hidden agenda, but I for one design free templates to increase my reputation.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using such templates, just that you will need to completely modify it to look different from dozens of websites already committing such template.

If you are a pro, you will know that that ain't worth the time. Use it just for inspiration and nothing else.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by SimonPeters: 7:49pm On Jul 27, 2013
In one simple word - No. There is nothing wrong with using a free website template. But as you develop as a web designer and developer you would want to learn how to design you own templates or purchase them. It also helps to learn some coding and CSS. Having this knowledge will give you more flexibility and the ability to meet your client's exact needs.

https://www.facebook.com/Studio29ine
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by SimonPeters: 7:54pm On Jul 27, 2013
*dhtml:
santa maria! awoof dey run belle too much! Nigerians tooo like awoooooof!
Wanting free web design no be awuuf. If you are good in coding and not good in design, why not get a template. And if the template is free and looks good, then go for it.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by SimonPeters: 7:59pm On Jul 27, 2013
veightar: To use a free template, you must abide by the terms and conditions; which sometimes sucks.
Well, we can think of hidden agenda, but I for one design free templates to increase my reputation.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using such templates, just that you will need to completely modify it to look different from dozens of websites already committing such template.

If you are a pro, you will know that that ain't worth the time. Use it just for inspiration and nothing else.
I agree, in most countries you are expected to acknowledge the designer when you use his/her work. It goes the same with using a photographer's pictures even if you got it for free.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by Olyboy16(m): 9:10pm On Jul 27, 2013
winexviv: Using free templates is not a bad idea when working on low budget jobs. But incase of High budget jobs, you really need to think outside the box.
Before you even start using free templates you need to be a pro, meaning that templates should be sources of inspiration and not a limitation. As a pro you can doctor it to a level that even the owner of the template will never recognise it.

hold on bro. Very soon , ..very very soon bro. A naija programmer wil release an algorithm that'l battle black hat hackers and their dynamic i.p addrersses. We're workin hard on this most especialy to locate this malicious hackers nd prbably creatin a new way to uniquely identify web interactions except (ssl though), not i.p addresses optionaly
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by helpfulposts(m): 9:22pm On Jul 27, 2013
Which premium wordpress theme do u want. I may be of help
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by ibietela2(m): 8:11am On Jul 28, 2013
winexviv: Using free templates is not a bad idea when working on low budget jobs. But incase of High budget jobs, you really need to think outside the box.

But wait ehhhh. When will Nigeria developers start giving back to the internet? like building free templates for people to download, building stuffs like jQuery ....

Answer the question yourself.... Where you not the one that charge me $60 just to help see why my shop has a blank page?? You also developed a plugin or Module and you said it's 15k.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by Seomartscom: 10:16am On Jul 28, 2013
template coder can make phishing for hack your website,Then can hack your database
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by winexviv: 2:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
ibietela2:

Answer the question yourself.... Where you not the one that charge me $60 just to help see why my shop has a blank page?? You also developed a plugin or Module and you said it's 15k.

Lol. I'm contributing in my own own little way by building plugins and selling them. Its my business nah and you don't expect me to give it out for free. No vex bro.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 28, 2013
winexviv:
Lol. I'm contributing in my own own little way by building plugins and selling them. Its my business nah and you don't expect me to give it out for free. No vex bro.
I see nothing wrong in charging pple, after all if you coded something from scratch you have every right to charge for it, giving for free is not mandatory, i contributed to Dojo one time,submitted a patch for an error. though it was reviewed and changed it felt good.
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by ibietela2(m): 7:30pm On Jul 28, 2013
winexviv:

So what do you mean by the below?? Or are you from Ghana?

When will Nigeria developers start giving back to the internet? like building free templates for people to download, building stuffs like jQuery....
Re: What Is Wrong Using Free Template by FarmTech(m): 12:42pm On Jul 29, 2013
Hey, don't make this mistake I made. Install wordpress instead of using static sites. Wordpress will save u tons of time and you won't need to know html or php.

(1) (Reply)

Php Oop Video / See: Google Has Approved My Adsense (see How) / Help. Which Is The Best Bulk Sms Platform In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.