Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts (3257 Views)

Video of 11-Year Old Yemeni Girl Fleeing Child Marriage Is A Hoax / Muslims Reject Al-qaeda Offer / Child Marriage In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 4:18pm On Jul 20, 2013
I decided to open this thread to refute those who blame islam on the subject,especially the islamophobes.i want to gather all my refutations in one thread so the facts can be examined objectively.

https://www.nairaland.com/1365926/protest-against-child-marriage-hold/5#16919491
jelel6: If she is below 18, leave her alone! Perverts! Dirty animals!
18! On whose authority? You? The west? Or none?

please as much as I respect your passion in defending Islam (as you perceive the attacks of non-muslims as targeting Islam),it is not every time a muslim does wrong that we should accommodate his action as Islamic and rush to defend him.Islam says if a girl is physically and mentally mature,with the consent of her parents and the girl herself,she can marry.this is the case because in olden days when famine and diseases were wide spread (high mortality rate),there was need for early marriage to procreate and preserve human society.in those days there were no schools and no responsibilities as we have today.Islam does not say a girl who hardly have brea$ts should get married.what famine or disease is yerima afraid of in 2013 that he is dire need to marry a 13 year old to produce children? do not abuse the wisdom in Islam to satisfy desires of perverts.there is physical and mental (psychological) maturity required and the consent of the parents and the girl,and also the environment and the time must be taken into consideration before marriage or deciding the age of marriage.even in the western countries 100 years ago,the age of consent was as low as 10.but now they stopped that and increased the age of consent.why must a senator as old as yerima want to be living in the past when it was expedient that once a girl is physically and mentally mature can be consensually married? is the Egyptian girl even at 13 mature enough physically and mentally? did she have a say,or did her parents sell her off because yerima flunted in their faces some dollars he didn't slave for? which muslim country presently accepts a girl of 9 to be married? wont she go to school? are we still living in the past when there was no education,and girls' only task was to ensure procreation?

we should stop causing problems for ourselves and giving chance to islamophobes to pick on us.we are the cause of the problem.

9 Likes

Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1365926/protest-against-child-marriage-hold/5#16919045

nijanigga:
You're either being disingenuous or you're not a true or proper Muslim. If Gov Yerima who introduced sharia law does not see anything wrong in marrying a 13 year old girl imported from Egypt,which kind of muslim are you then,by quoting the above from your feign mind?
https://www.nairaland.com/1365650/femi-fani-kayode-nation-perverts-paedophiles/6#16918975

why don't you use common sense instead of your blind Christian ignorance and hatred for anything Muslim and Islam?

Ask yourselves why did Senator Yerima not marry his 13 year girl in Egypt,but instead brought her to Nigeria? Egypt is a predominantly Muslim country where the age of consent for girls is 18 year old.Nigeria was at age 13 for girls,and now Nigerian Senators trying to use religion as a cover for their selfish desires are giving Muslims a publicity burden and giving islamophobes the chance to whine about how "evil" Islam is.Senator Yerima should have married his bride in Egypt instead of Nigeria if what he is practicing is what Muslims believe in.there is no Muslim country presently that have set the age of consent for girls at 9.

please people should put prejudices and hatred aside and reason.

1 Like

Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 4:21pm On Jul 20, 2013

Notes: (AISHA WAS NOT 9 YEARS OLD OR A CHILD WHEN THE PROPHET MARRIED HER)
[8] The popular version of ‘Ãisha’s youth age has been exploited by the anti-Islamic groups to attack the Prophet “for marrying a child”. The fact of the matter is that Lady ‘Ãisha was not a child when she was married in 2 AH to the Prophet. At-Tabari, the famous Muslim historian, writes that Abu Bakr’s first two wives and their children were all born in the pre-Islamic era. (Ta’rīkh at-Tabari, vol. 2 [Beirut: al-A‘lami, n.d.] p. 616.) Based on this, even if she was born a year before the commencement of Islam, ‘Ãisha would be 15 or 16 years old at the time of her marriage to the Prophet – an age in which marriage is common in most cultures. Ibn Kathīr, in his al-Bidãyah wa ’n-Nihãyah (vol. 8, p. 381) states that Asmã’ bint Abu Bakr, the sister of ‘Ãisha, was ten years older than ‘Ãisha. He also reports that Asmã’ died in the year 73 AH at the age of 100. Based on this calculation, ‘Ãisha was 18 or 19 years old at the time of her marriage.

https://www.nairaland.com/846958/tell-me-why-mohammed-married#9975134

LagosShia: [b]first muslims do not support "underage" marriage as the title of the thread suggest. we have to first understand who is "underage" to conclude that muslims are supporting "underage" marriage or not.according to Nigerian law,the age of consent for girls in Nigeria is 13 year old.if you look at many muslim countries,the age is above that as different factors are also considered.

there are factors which determine if a girl is mature enough to get married.it is not what the parents want,as Islam forbids marriage in which the girl does not have a say about the man she is getting married to and is expected to live the rest of her life with.forcing girls into marriage is forbidden in islam and amounts to oppression,which is a sin.

the physical and mental conditions of a girl is to be taken into consideration before marriage,and also the time and environment matter.for example in about a century ago,the age of consent in some parts of the United States was 10 year old.the question arises as to who or what determines if a girl is mature enough to enter marriage.in Islam,when a girl reaches the age of puberty and she is physically grown enough,she can become a woman or perform intimacy within a legal framework (i.e. marriage),as "boy friends" are not allowed for muslim girls.now the question arises if EVERY girl that sees her period can get married.of course not! there is the mental maturity of girls and the time and environment she is living in that also determine if girls can get married once they are physically mature.in the past,a girl that is physically mature can get married at age 12 for instance.but now when it takes 12 years to finish high school,can a girl of 12 get married? by the time she is done with high school she would be oldest at 16.these are things to take into consideration,in addition to the girl's and parents' consent. otherwise the word "underage" is subjective and prejudiced.even in the west as I cited the USA, there was no yardstick to determine what was "underage".they reduced and increased it as they wanted to,and still do.we also know according to a report found in the Catholic encyclopedia that Mary (as),the virgin mother of Jesus (as),is said to have been age 12 when she conceived,and at that time she was betrothed to Joseph,who was a man of 90 year old.time,environment,consent,alongside maturity (physical and mental),all have to play a role to determine the age suitable for a girl to get married.
https://www.nairaland.com/1364942/dokubo-underage-marriage-right-muslims/1#16897331
[/b]
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 4:23pm On Jul 20, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/846958/tell-me-why-mohammed-married#9975159:
LagosShia: TURNING THE TABLES ON THE IGNORANT CHRISTIAN MISSIONARIES:

HOW OLD WAS MARY WHEN SHE CONCEIVED MIRACULOUSLY?

Mary was 12 or 13 years old ! so says the Catholic Encyclopaedia and the Oxford Dictionary Bible.

source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15464b.htm

furthermore,Mary (at a tender age) was engaged to Joseph who was at that time 90 years old!!!!

Regarding the Marriage of Mary to Joseph, Catholic Encyclopaedia(http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm),says:

"When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, "the Lord's brother"wink. A year after his wife's death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age, Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old,[/b]went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the Annunciation took place."

Note: That article on Catholic Encyclopaedia obtains its information from early Christian writing .

[size=14pt][b]WAS AISHA REALLY 9 YEAR OLD WHEN PROPHET MUHAMMAD (sa) MARRIED HER? PLEASE WATCH BELOW:
[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXCvnposB1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o6sjyuoSUc&NR=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWsDhOqpkY
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 20, 2013
Thank you for your contribution
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 4:53pm On Jul 20, 2013
[size=18pt]FEMALE AGE OF CONSENT IN MUSLIM MAJORITY COUNTRIES[/size]

Algeria-18

Egypt- 18

Mali-18

Morocco- 18

Niger-15

Libya-20

Senegal-16

Tunisia-17

Afghanistan-16

Azerbaijan-17

Bangladesh-18

Iran-16

Iraq-18

Jordan-15

Kazakhstan-18

Kuwait-15

Kyrgyzstan-18

Lebanon-17

Malaysia-16

Maldives-16

Pakistan-16

Palestine-15

Syria-17

Uzbekistan-17

Turkey-18

Albania-16

2 Likes

Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 4:54pm On Jul 20, 2013
uniqueval: Thank you for your contribution

welcome.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 5:13pm On Jul 20, 2013
M.B.O Owolowo: Child marriage: In the name of…?

By M.B.O Owolowo on July 19, 2013

Dailypost

The passage of the loathsome ‘Child Marriage’ law, following the amendment of Section 29(4) (b) of the 1999 Constitution, has been rightly criticised by the general public, I believe it should have been named appropriately as what it is, the “paedophilic law”.

Many cynics consider this bill an open invitation to the world’s randiest paedophiles and sex tourists, that we are open for lascivious business.

I know majority of legislators have hoodwinked the populace on many issues, including the tacit siphoning of our commonwealth, but I seriously wonder if they deliberated thoroughly on the wider implications of such actions. I must state I am gladdened by Senator Babafemi Ojudu’s revelation of the senate’s voting pattern, so all hope isn’t lost.

This ‘Child Marriage’ law is motivated by nothing more than the perversion of man, and the contumacious excesses of particular lawmakers who sponsor and support such lewdness. When such absurdities are initiated, there are always champions who lead such queasy causes, one of such protagonists is the latest “Spiritual consultant” to the President, Senator Sani Ahmed Yerima, who gained notoriety for his marriage to a young Egyptian girl. Though maligned for his actions, some wondered how it’s anyone’s business, after all the parents the Egyptian girl fully approved of it.

Agreed, what some of our lawmakers and public servants do in private is their business, but the enactment of such a law is another matter entirely.

I wouldn’t even delve into the controversial introduction of “Sharia” by Yerima and others- which was nothing more than political fanfare across many Northern states.

However, of important note was the chopping off a man’s hand for allegedly stealing during Yerima’s tenure as Governor, interestingly, the former EFCC boss, Nuhu Ribadu, accused Yerima of “direct stealing” of State funds as Governor of Zamfara- so why the selective chopping off of hands?

Evidently, we can’t all share the same views in any society, and respecting opposing views is encouraged, however I believe Child Rights should supersede all the divergent views in any polity, crossing all geographical enclaves.

I concede there are many people, who not only support such views as Yerima but also practice it, though such practices occur across the country, it is prevalent in Northern Nigeria- but it would be wrong to insinuate everyone from the North is in support of Child Marriage.

[b] On a personal note, of all the rhetoric in support of this bizarre practice, there’s nothing I find more repugnant than using the religion of Islam as justification.

Historically, Islam is often misrepresented and perceived through bias Orientalist pejorative- an orchestrated mechanism devised primarily to demonize Prophet Mohammed and Islam.

These Orientalists and those who reason as such, often mention the age of Aisha, the wife of the Prophet Mohammed, to promote an agenda meant to ridicule the entire faith.

Please permit me to digress and address my Muslim brethren without going into too much detail.

The notion that Aisha was 6 at betrothal or 9 at consummation can’t be substantiated, as the veracity of that story has been debunked with historical events that contradict such a possibility.

Evidences such as when she was born, period Aisha’s parents accepted Islam, her previous betrothal to someone else (Jubair), the time Khadija (first wife of Prophet) died, age of Fatima (Prophet Mohammed’s daughter) a contemporary of Aisha, age of Aisha’s sister, Asma. Other evidences include, Aisha’s involvement in some expeditions, battle of Uhud especially, her scholarly contributions, time of her death and other indisputable facts, have nullified this age ’6′ and ’9′ fable.

Some scholars, through the rigorous study of such evidences, stated Aisha may have been at least 19 years of age during her consummation.[/b]

It is important to state, there’s a difference between betrothal and consummation. A child, female especially, can be betrothed from the day she is born, which is still practised in many parts of the world, but, consummation is the real deal and the major concern, because this involves sexual intercourse.

There are cultural variations across the world with the ages ranging between 16 and 20 as marriageable age, however, age of sexual consent is another issue.

For instance, some Child Marriage practices, sometimes motivated by the need to cement political or financial ties, were previously acceptable in Western countries, but aren’t exactly commonplace presently. In the United Kingdom for example, we are aware girls under the age of 15 are sexually active and are delivering babies regularly, but the law states 18 as minimum age for marriage and 16 with parental consent, though in Scotland it is 16. The same applies to most African countries and even Muslim dominated countries.

These are facts, those who think it’s their “religious” duty or obligation to have child brides, may want to reconsider.

I am of the opinion this practice has more to do with culture than religion- an aberration all enlightened Muslim’s must reject intellectually.

The Quran should be the basis and its superiority to the Hadith, which are narratives, must be emphasized. There are verses in the Quran highlighting maturity and consent before marriage. So its wrongs to cherry-pick aspects of religious texts, like Hadith, and usually out of context, to suit personal whims, however perverted.

The same admonitory caution goes to mischief-makers trying to disparage Islam and cast aspersions on Prophet Mohammed. These are the hypocrites who only become “righteous” anytime it’s time to criticise Islam or it’s another “Open Season” on Muslim’s. These are people who in no way adhere to the dictates of their professed faith, but are the most opprobrious in such anti-Islamic matters.

I would like to give a big Kudos to some non- Muslims, Christians especially, for their objectivity: their opposition to tainting Islam on this matter, but concentrating on the real issue of Child Rights.

Many studies have revealed poverty is a key factor in almost all child marriage cases and indirectly related to Obstetric Fistula. Economic hardship leads many families to sell or lease their male and female children to sexual predators and child molesters across the globe.

I would implore the same energies that have rejected this Child Marriage bill be spent rejecting the factors perpetuating poverty in our milieu.

I gathered the Nigerian Senate passed the bill on religious rights grounds, if true; they may want to rescind such a decision- as it can’t be explicitly justified in the name of religion. I don’t know which “Islamic law” Senator Yerima is referring to in his twisted defence of a despicable act, as I am not aware of any. I hope those who hide under the guise of religion are aware Islam permits the evolvement of socio-cultural related laws- who knows, we may soon get one for the castration of men who only lust after prepubescent girls.

Religious rights mustn’t be abused under any guise, the fundamental human rights of others mustn’t be infringed upon in the name of religion. Let us protect the rights of our children. God Bless Nigeria!

m.b.o.owolowo@gmail.com

-M.B.O 2013©

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/07/19/m-b-o-owolowo-child-marriage-in-the-name-of/

1 Like

Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by Gboliwe: 5:39pm On Jul 20, 2013
So, why are the lawmakers using the koran to back up their animalistic desires?

This is interesting, even Niger, I mean Niger o still has small decency o
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by Rafidi: 5:40pm On Jul 20, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1365650/femi-fani-kayode-nation-perverts-paedophiles/4#16916032

Rafidi :
A'isha was not a child when the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) married her

Section : Articles || Date : 2010 / 06 / 17 || Reading : 13534

This article is the transcription of a lecture delivered by Shia Muslim scholar His Eminence Allama Sheikh Yasser Al-Habib

Enemies of Islam – be they Christians, Jews or other groups have often used the matter of the Prophet's marriage (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) to A'isha as a weapon against this Great Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). They rely on that which was spread by A'isha about her having been married off to the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) when she was a girl of six and that he consummated his marriage to her when she was a girl of only nine. They say: "Look at how this old man married an innocent little girl young enough to be his granddaughter when he was over fifty years old! How could he live with himself taking away her childhood to satisfy his own needs? What sort of a Prophet is this who does something so inhumane?"

In spite of the fact that the account of the Prophet's marriage (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) to A'isha when she was a child is not told by anyone else but A'isha herself – we find no hadith nabawi or any other hadith from a reliable source about it – the enemies of Islam continue to spread these lies dreamt up by A'isha without any proper historical research. They just rely on the accounts to be found in the Bakri (i.e. Sunni) sect's sources.

In fact those with a grudge against the Master of Prophets (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) have exploited the fabricated hadith spread by A'isha through which she wanted to make people think that for the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family), she was the youngest, most radiant, most beautiful and the favourite among his wives. Her claim that she was just a delicate and innocent child who was ripped away from her swing on which she used to play with her little friends when her mother shouted out to her and led her away so roughly that she could hardly catch her breath – without her knowing what was going to happen or what she was wanted for – to take her to the house of the Prophet who frightened her when he walked in on her when the bitter truth became clear to her that she had suddenly become a wife.

Firstly, let us shed light on the hadith fabricated by A'isha. Bukhari narrates on the authority of Hisham on the authority of his father on the authority of A'isha who said: "The Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) married me when I was a girl of six. We went to Medina and stayed at the home of Bani al-Harith Ibn Khazraj. Then I got ill and my hair fell out. Later on my hair grew back and my mother, Umm Ruman, came to me while I was playing in a swing with some of my friends. She called me, and I went to her, not knowing what she wanted to do to me. She caught me by the hand and made me stand at the door of the house. I was breathless then, and when my breathing settled down, she took some water and rubbed my face and head with it. Then she took me into the house. There in the house I saw some Ansari women who said, "Best wishes and Allah's Blessing and good luck." Then she entrusted me to them and they prepared me (for the marriage). Unexpectedly Allah's Apostle came to me in the forenoon and my mother handed me over to him, and at that time I was a girl of nine years of age." (Sahih al-Bukhari vol 4 p251 and Sahih Muslim vol 4 p141).

In another hadith A'isha paints a picture of what happened to her in another scenario no less full of tragedy than the last because she claims that her mother sat her down – when she was just a poor child – on the lap of her husband who treated her cheaply and consummated his marriage to her in the house of her father. No wedding banquet was laid on for her to celebrate her marriage to him. No one else even brought them anything to eat!"

Ibn Hanbal reports on the authority of A'isha that she said, "My mother came to me while I was being swung on a swing between two branches and got me down. My nurse took over and wiped my face with some water and started leading me. When I was at the door she stopped so I could catch my breath. I was brought in while Muhammad was sitting on a bed in our house. Men and women from the Ansar were with him. She sat me down on his lap. Then, she said: "This is your family. May Allah bless you with them and may Allah bless them with you. The men and women jumped up and went out and the Messenger of Allah consummated his marriage to me in our house. No camel was slaughtered for me and no sheep was slaughtered for me until Sa'd Ibn Ibada sent us a bowl of grapes, something he would send to the Messenger of Allah whenever he would go round to his wives. At that time I was a girl of nine." (Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal vol 6, p211)

In order to back up her claim that she was an innocent child who did not understand what was going on around her, she came up with another account in which she claimed that when she got married to the Prophet, (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) she still had the dolls and figures she used to play with.

Muslim reports on the authority of Urwa on the authority of A'isha: "The Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) married her when she was a girl of seven and she was taken to his house as a bride when she was nine, and her dolls were with her; and when he (the Holy Prophet) died she was eighteen years old." (Sahih Muslim vol 4 p142)

Moreover she claimed that she carried on playing with her dolls even after her move to the marital home and that the Greatest Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) would find it soothing and would help her play with her little friends even though they would run away from him because they were scared of him.

Muslim reported on the authority of Hisham Ibn Urwa on the authority of A'isha, "That she used to play with girls in the presence of the Messenger of Allah (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). She said, 'My friends would come to me and would hide from the Messenger of Allah!' She said: 'So the Messenger of Allah would call to them to play with me." (Sahih Muslim vol 7 p135 and similarly Sahih Ibn Hiban vol 13 p174 and Mu'jam al-Tabarani vol 23 p21).

Ibn Sa'd reports on the authority of Urwa on the authority of A'isha that she said, "The Messenger of Allah walked in on me one day while I was playing with some girls and he said, 'What is this, A'isha?' So she said Sulayman's horse and he laughed." (Al-Tabaqat al-Kubra by Ibn Sa'd vol 8 p62).

This is how A'isha tried to hold together this fictitious account of her being young when she married the Greatest Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) except that no matter how hard the creators of the false account tried to hold it together, it just falls apart as one can see. Now let us respond to these lies in line with scientific and historical facts, even those recorded in sources belonging to the Bakri sect.

Firstly, if A'isha's claims had been true, she would not have contradicted herself. We have already seen the discrepancy between her saying that when she got married she was "a girl of six" and her saying "a girl of seven". Both statements are reported on the authority of her nephew 'Urwa'.

Secondly, Bukhari narrates on the authority of Hisham on the authority of his father who said, "Khadija passed away three years before the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) left for Madina. He let two years pass, more or less and then he married A'isha, a girl of six. Then he consummated his marriage to her when she was a girl of nine." (Sahih al-Bukhari vol 4 p252)

The opponents [to Ahlulbayt i.e. al-mukhalifun] treat this hadith as if it is also narrated on the authority of A'isha herself for Ibn Hajar says, "This appears mursal but given that it is narrated by 'Urwa', what with his detailed knowledge of A'isha's life story it is also deemed to be narrated on her authority." (Fath al-Bari fi Sharh Sahih al-Bukhari by Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani vol 7 p175)

This hadith would mean that A'isha's wedding could only have taken place the year before the hijra in view of the fact that she was a girl of six, because after Khadija's passing (Allah's blessings upon Her) the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) let two years pass, more or less, without remarrying. Khadija (Peace be upon Her) passed away three years before the hijra. Then, His having consummated His marriage to A'isha when she was a girl of nine could only have taken place two years after the hijra because this is the time interval between when she was six and when she was nine. A'isha would only have been nine two years after the hijra. On this basis the length of time she lived with the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) could not have been more than eight years because as everyone knows He became a martyr in year ten (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family).

This contradicts what A'isha claimed according to Muslim's hadith mentioned above – which said that she was taken as a bride, along with her dolls to the Prophet's house (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) when she was a girl of nine and that he died when she was a girl of eighteen which means that she lived with him for nine years. This is confirmed in another hadith narrated by Bukhari on the authority of Hisham on the authority of his father, also on the authority of A'isha: "The Prophet married her when she was a girl of six and she was taken to his house when she was a girl of nine and she lived with him for nine years" (Sahih al-Bukhari vol 6 p134).

The hadiths cancel each other out. If the first is authentic, then the length of time A'isha lived with the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) was not nine years and if the second is authentic, then the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) did not marry her the year before the hijra or two years after the Mother of the Believers Khadija al-Kubra's passed away.

This is another contradiction A'isha has dropped herself into even though both sayings are narrated along the same chain [of narration] i.e. Hisham on the authority of her nephew Urwa. This contradiction obviously shows up the lie and fabrication. The Bakri (i.e. Sunni) sect cannot mitigate by saying something like these hadith are weak because they have decided that they are all authentic and to be without a doubt on the authority of A'isha.

Thirdly A'isha claimed that the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) said, "Oh Allah! In particular, strengthen Islam with Omar Ibn al-Khattab." (Mustadrak al-Hakim vol 3 p83).
We are not in the process of refuting this hadith, or proving that it was fabricated by A'isha; we only wanted to rely on it to prove a point. We say that this hadith is claimed to have been uttered before Omar had begun pretending to be a Muslim on the pretext that his Islam had come as an answer to the Messenger of Allah's du'a (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). A'isha claims that she heard it from the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) and that she narrates it directly from him.

According to the Bakri sect Omar's conversion to Islam was in the sixth year after the Prophetic Mission had begun i.e. about seven years before the hijra. It was stated above that A'isha was a girl of six the year before the hijra which means that seven years before the hijra she was still either in her mother's womb or a suckling babe incapable of rational thought. How could she have heard or been aware of this hadith allegedly uttered by the Holiest Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family)?

If what she claimed about her being young and her being a girl of six when she got married, she had no business falsely attributing this fabricated hadith to the Messenger of Allah (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). And if it was not authentic then the point is still proven i.e. that she was much older than that because according to the claim, she heard the hadith, understood it and narrated it.
This is a third contradiction to add to the aforementioned contradictions which prove that it is a fabrication and a lie but what is most damaging of all is that they are all narrated through an authentic chain of transmission on the authority of Hisham on the authority of his father 'Urwa'. How does one escape that?

Fourthly: Ibn Qutayba says by way of comment on A'isha's hadith about her marriage when she was a girl of nine: "…And she lived until the time when Mu'awiya was the Caliph and she passed away in the year fifty eight when she was nearly seventy. She was asked, "Shall we bury you next to the Messenger of Allah?" She replied, "But I did wrong. Bury me with my sisters." So she was buried in the Baqi' [cemetery] and she appointed Abdallah Ibn Zubayr as her executor. (Al-Ma'arif by Ibn Qutayba p29).

Al-Birri said, "She passed away in the fifty ninth year after the hijra towards the end of Mu'awiya's reign as Caliph. She was nearly seventy. It was on a Monday night, the night before the seventeenth of Ramadan." (Al-Jawhara fi Nisab al-Nabi wa Ashabihi al-'Ashara by Al-Birri vol 1 p216).

Ibn Abd Rabbih said, "After his death, she lived on right up to the days of Mu'awiya and she died in the fifty eighth year. She was nearly seventy. (Al-Iqd al-Farid by Ibn Abd Rabbih vol 2 p71).

Al-Maqdisi said, "He married A'isha in Makkah the year before the hijra (…) A'isha passed away during the time of Mu'awiya. She was nearly seventy. He said to her, "Should we not bury you in your house with the Messenger of Allah?" She replied, "No. I did wrong after His death." (Al-bid' wa al-Tarikh by Al-Maqdisi vol 1 p260).

On this basis, A'isha's age would have been roughly twelve the year before the hijra, the year in which the Greatest Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) married her (as mentioned above). What a far cry this is from her saying that she was a girl of six or seven!".

Even if we were to work on the presumption that what they meant by "nearly seventy" at her death was that she reached the age of sixty seven – as some of them have stated – then she would have been a girl of nine when she got married, not a girl of six or seven except for the fact that we also reject their account that she got married the year before the hijra. We refer back to the objection raised in the second point (above). There is shown to be a contradiction which disproves her claim.

Fifthly, Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani says about Asma' daughter of Abu Bakr, "She was the mother of Abdallah son of Al-Zubayr. She became a Muslim a long time ago in Makkah and pledged allegiance to the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). She was ten years older than A'isha and died less than a month after her son was killed. She was a hundred years old. That was in the year seventy three. (Subul al-Salam by Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani vol 1 p39).

Al-Baihaqi and Al-Dhahabi narrate on the authority of Ibn Abi al-Zinad that he said, "Asma' daughter of Abu Bakr was ten years older than A'isha. (Sunan al-Baihaqi vol 6 p204 and Siyar al-Nubala' by Al-Dhahabi vol 2 p289)

Similarly, Al-Nawawi narrates on the authority of Hafiz Abu Na'im that he said, "Asma' was born twenty seven years before the Messenger of Allah's hijra (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). Her father Abu Bakr was twenty one years old when she was born." (Tahdhib al-Asma' by Al-Nawawi vol 3 p223).

The conclusion to be reached from these narrations is that Asma was twenty seven years old the year before the hijra and given that she was ten years older than her sister A'isha, A'isha's age was about seventeen at that time. That was the year in which she got married. What a far cry this is from her claim that she was a girl of six or seven. So the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) consummated his marriage to her when she was nearly twenty not a girl of nine.

This is how the lie told by A'isha is exposed. It was her intention to pretend to be younger and fool people into thinking that she was an innocent child who was married against her will to a really old man. In fact, A'isha was nearly twenty at the time meaning that she was a grown up woman and not a child as she claimed.

The age difference between her and between the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) was about 33 years which is much less than the age difference between Joseph the Carpenter and Our Lady, the Virgin Mary (Peace be upon Her) when she got married or when they got engaged to each other. Mary's age was between just 12 and 14 while Joseph's was about 90.

The Catholic Encyclopedia says, "…a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age, Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old" (Website). That means that the age difference between Joseph and Mary was about 77 years. That is more than double the difference between the Prophet Muhammad (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) and A'isha. So why is there no outcry over this matter too?

http://alqatrah.net/en/edara/?id=91

1 Like

Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 5:45pm On Jul 20, 2013
Gboliwe: So, why are the lawmakers using the koran to back up their animalistic desires?

This is interesting!

they should tell us which verse of the Quran support what they are promoting.#ignorance #greed #desires #fantasies #poverty #exploitation.

I will be convinced the lawmakers are god-fearing people who are only concerned about pleasing Allah (swt) and upholding "His law",when just a few among them who passed the bill give out their 9 year old daughters for marriage.they should lead by example.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by ITbomb(m): 6:13pm On Jul 20, 2013
People like you would make me have respect for Islam but alas you are in the minority
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 6:19pm On Jul 20, 2013
ITbomb: People like you would make me have respect for Islam but alas you are in the minority

ignorance in both Islam and other fields is the problem.regardless I do not think I am in the minority.the majority of muslims do not marry 9 year old girls,hence the law to allow 9 year old girls to get married does not serve the majority of muslims,but a few men of desires and ugly fantasies.therefore it is best Islam is not used as a cover,when in the first place it doesn't support the act as some imagine.the burden and bad publicity,the muslims end up paying for it.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by Paschal007: 6:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
Is it the islamophbes' that are asking for child marriage laws in the name of Islam?
No, rather it's muslims representatives in the Senate that are asking for it.

Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if ye have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life within their wombs), their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah, He will make their path easy. 65;4

Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi

Here, one should bear in mind the fact that according to the explanations given in the Quran the question of the waiting period arises in respect of the women with whom marriage may have been consummated, for there is no waiting-period in case divorce is pronounced before the consummation of marriage. (Al-Ahzab: 49). Therefore, making mention of the waiting-period for the girls who have not yet menstruated, clearly proves that it is not only permissible to give away the girl in marriage at this age but it is also permissible for the husband to consummate marriage with her. Now, obviously no Muslim has the right to forbid a thing which the Quran has held as permissible.
Commentary on Qur'an Chapter 65:4
Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi, Tafhim al-Qur'an

'Ibn Kathir

The `Iddah of Those in Menopause and Those Who do not have Menses Allah the Exalted clarifies the waiting period of the woman in menopause. And that is the one whose menstruation has stopped due to her older age. Her `Iddah is three months instead of the three monthly cycles for those who menstruate, which is based upon the Ayah in (Surat) Al-Baqarah. [see 2:228] The same for the young, who have not reached the years of menstruation. Their `Iddah is three months like those in menopause. This is the meaning of His saying.
The `Iddah of Those in Menopause and Those Who do not have Menses (Qur'an 65:4)
Tafsir Ibn Kathir

That's Islamic scholars interpretation on the verse. I guess they're no different from yerima and co.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by Gboliwe: 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2013
Its funny really. I mean, why are you not talking to your fellow moslems and you are referencing innocent Christian bystanders?

If you think somebody is not reading the koran well, deal with that person.

This child marriage that has your koran's backing is sickening.

2 Likes

Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by vedaxcool(m): 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2013
Despite the lowering of the legal age of marriage for women fell to 9,[46] and the Ayatollah Khomeini's support for early marriage for females,

It is recommended that one hurries in giving husband to a daughter who has attained puberty, meaning that she is of the age of religious accountability. His Holiness, Sadegh [the 6th Imam] salutations to him, bade that it is one of a man's good fortunes that his daughter does not see menses in his own house.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Islamic_Republic_of_Iran

despite my happiness about your Struggle against early marriage, I definately know you cannot claim to know shia more than Khomeini
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by vedaxcool(m): 7:03pm On Jul 20, 2013
http://www.mohabatnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=...

Iran seeks to legalise marriage for girls under 10

Saturday, 07 July 2012

The legal affairs committee of the Majles, the Iranian parliament, has told the press that they regard the law that prohibits girls below the age of 10 from being married off to be 'un-Islamic and illegal'.

Mohabatnews ) - According to recently released statistics, in the past few weeks over 75 female children under 10 were forced to marry much older men. In 3929 cases, bride and groom were both under 14.

In a discussion of the issue organised by the Khabar Online news website, conservative law-maker and spokesperson for the Majles committee Mohammad Ali Isfenani said: "Before the revolution girls under 16 were not allowed to marry.

Mohammad Ali Isfenani

Parents determined to get around the law would often tamper with their daughter's birth certificate. Under the previous constitution, people were legally regarded as adults when they were 18. After the revolution the age at which children were regarded as going through puberty was lowered to 9 for girls and 15 for boys.

" He added: "As some people may not comply with our current Islamic legal system, we must regard 9 as being the appropriate age for a girl to have reached puberty and qualified to get married. To do otherwise would be to contradict and challenge Islamic Sharia law."

He also confirmed that under his chairmanship the legal committee of the Majles would seek to change the current legislation./ shahrzad

------------------------

http://www.examiner.com/article/tens-of-thousands-worldwide-petition-ira...

Tens of thousands worldwide petition Iran to end child marriages
CHILD MARRIAGE
August 19, 2012
By: D.M. Murdock

A call to action at ThePetitionSite.com created by Christian Miller targets the Iranian government and requests that it not legalize the forced marriage of girls under the age of 10. The petition has garnered the signatures of many thousands of people worldwide, a number of whom have expressed outrage at the Islamic Republic's move, which some consider to reflect an attitude towards female children as property and household slaves.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 7:04pm On Jul 20, 2013
Paschal007: So you created a thread and started spamming it. Is it the islamophbes' that are asking for child marriage laws in the name of Islam?
No, rather it's muslims representatives in the Senate that are asking for it.

these so called "muslim representatives" are in fact playing well into the hands of the islamophobes.that is the point.

Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if ye have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life within their wombs), their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah, He will make their path easy. 65;4

there is something called "betrothal" as regards the Quran verse 65:4.

as for the opinions of the two scholars you mentioned,if you'd have read all that was posted,you will realize they base their interpretation on what is narrated about Aisha's age that have been refuted,or they are also talking about betrothal.

'Ibn Kathir

The `Iddah of Those in Menopause and Those Who do not have Menses Allah the Exalted clarifies the waiting period of the woman in menopause. And that is the one whose menstruation has stopped due to her older age. Her `Iddah is three months instead of the three monthly cycles for those who menstruate, which is based upon the Ayah in (Surat) Al-Baqarah. [see 2:228] The same for the young, who have not reached the years of menstruation. Their `Iddah is three months like those in menopause. This is the meaning of His saying.
The `Iddah of Those in Menopause and Those Who do not have Menses (Qur'an 65:4)
Tafsir Ibn Kathir

That's Islamic scholars interpretation on the verse. I guess they're no different from yerima and co.

betrothal doesn't permit sexual intercourse with a girl that is not fully mature.

Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi

Here, one should bear in mind the fact that according to the explanations given in the Quran the question of the waiting period arises in respect of the women with whom marriage may have been consummated, for there is no waiting-period in case divorce is pronounced before the consummation of marriage. (Al-Ahzab: 49). Therefore, making mention of the waiting-period for the girls who have not yet menstruated, clearly proves that it is not only permissible to give away the girl in marriage at this age but it is also permissible for the husband to consummate marriage with her. Now, obviously no Muslim has the right to forbid a thing which the Quran has held as permissible.
Commentary on Qur'an Chapter 65:4
Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi, Tafhim al-Qur'an

the waiting period (iddah) was put in place to ensure that a divorced woman is not with child as at the time of divorce and the husband does not later deny pregnating her;so she has to wait three menstrual cycles (three months) before she can remarry and the earlier marriage is totally dissolved.if a girl that does not see her menses is to wait,how does she count three menstrual cycles and to prove what? can a girl that doesn't menstruate conceive? therefore it is commonsense that since the girl does not see her menstruation,and she cannot go about announcing or proving to the public whether or not she sees her menstruation especially if she is at the threshold of puberty,her waiting period is also three months to clear any doubt or suspicion within and without (public) her marriage.this is the case because the word "to doubt" in the verse in Arabic is in plural;meaning it is not addressing the man alone but also the guardians and perhaps others.otherwise a man who divorced a woman can go without iddah (waiting period) as per verse 33:49,unlike when there is doubt or suspicion as per verse 65:4.

the above interpretation of Maududi is faulty that a man can consummate a marriage with a non-menstruating girl,and it is the author's personal opinion.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 7:15pm On Jul 20, 2013
vedaxcool: Despite the lowering of the legal age of marriage for women fell to 9,[46] and the Ayatollah Khomeini's support for early marriage for females,

It is recommended that one hurries in giving husband to a daughter who has attained puberty, meaning that she is of the age of religious accountability. His Holiness, Sadegh [the 6th Imam] salutations to him, bade that it is one of a man's good fortunes that his daughter does not see menses in his own house.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Islamic_Republic_of_Iran

despite my happiness about your Struggle against early marriage, I definately know you cannot claim to know shia more than Khomeini

this has nothing to do with shia or sunni.the Quran is both for Sunnis and Shia,and obtaining the correct interpretation is a must in this particular case.i also stated that islam is not against betrothal.also determining physical and mental maturity is on individual basis and therefore varies from girls to girl.so a standard age is required to put into law,to prevent girls that may not be mature enough at age 9 from falling victims.a 2 year old girl (if that is possible) that is seeing her menses,and physically mature and mentally or psychologically mature can be married and not only betrothed.but definitely this is not the case for many girls,and perverts who do not care about procreation or chastity (as per Islamic motives in the past) will take advantage of the situation.presently in Iran (where Ayatollah Khomeini founded the Islamic Republic),the age of consent for girls is 16 and remains so to this day,even if some oppose it.it is a fact that if early marriage ensures chastity and morality,then allowing the girl to mature a few years later and giving her the chance to gain education doesn't necessarily make her unchaste.she can still maintain chastity.and there is no guaranty that a girl married early would not be unchaste.regardless of the standards,reasons and interpretations muslims of the past cited to support their understanding,our own time is different.things have changed.

read the first post in this thread.here is what I said:

Islam says if a girl is physically and mentally mature,with the consent of her parents and the girl herself,she can marry.this is the case because in olden days when famine and diseases were wide spread (high mortality rate),there was need for early marriage to procreate and preserve human society.in those days there were no schools and no responsibilities as we have today.Islam does not say a girl who hardly have brea$ts should get married.what famine or disease is yerima afraid of in 2013 that he is dire need to marry a 13 year old to produce children? do not abuse the wisdom in Islam to satisfy desires of perverts.there is physical and mental (psychological) maturity required and the consent of the parents and the girl,and also the environment and the time must be taken into consideration before marriage or deciding the age of marriage.even in the western countries 100 years ago,the age of consent was as low as 10.but now they stopped that and increased the age of consent.why must a senator as old as yerima want to be living in the past when it was expedient that once a girl is physically and mentally mature can be consensually married? [b]is the Egyptian girl even at 13 mature enough physically and mentally? did she have a say,or did her parents sell her off because yerima flunted in their faces some dollars he didn't slave for? [/b]which muslim country presently accepts a girl of 9 to be married? wont she go to school? are we still living in the past when there was no education,and girls' only task was to ensure procreation?
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 7:27pm On Jul 20, 2013
vedaxcool: .
http://www.mohabatnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=...

Iran seeks to legalise marriage for girls under 10

Saturday, 07 July 2012

The legal affairs committee of the Majles, the Iranian parliament, has told the press that they regard the law that prohibits girls below the age of 10 from being married off to be 'un-Islamic and illegal'.

Mohabatnews ) - According to recently released statistics, in the past few weeks over 75 female children under 10 were forced to marry much older men. In 3929 cases, bride and groom were both under 14.

In a discussion of the issue organised by the Khabar Online news website, conservative law-maker and spokesperson for the Majles committee Mohammad Ali Isfenani said: "Before the revolution girls under 16 were not allowed to marry.

Mohammad Ali Isfenani

Parents determined to get around the law would often tamper with their daughter's birth certificate. Under the previous constitution, people were legally regarded as adults when they were 18. After the revolution the age at which children were regarded as going through puberty was lowered to 9 for girls and 15 for boys.

" He added: "As some people may not comply with our current Islamic legal system, we must regard 9 as being the appropriate age for a girl to have reached puberty and qualified to get married. To do otherwise would be to contradict and challenge Islamic Sharia law."

He also confirmed that under his chairmanship the legal committee of the Majles would seek to change the current legislation./ shahrzad

------------------------

http://www.examiner.com/article/tens-of-thousands-worldwide-petition-ira...

Tens of thousands worldwide petition Iran to end child marriages
CHILD MARRIAGE
August 19, 2012
By: D.M. Murdock

A call to action at ThePetitionSite.com created by Christian Miller targets the Iranian government and requests that it not legalize the forced marriage of girls under the age of 10. The petition has garnered the signatures of many thousands of people worldwide, a number of whom have expressed outrage at the Islamic Republic's move, which some consider to reflect an attitude towards female children as property and household slaves.

and thus far in 2013 the age of consent for girls in the Islamic republic of iran remains at 16.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by vedaxcool(m): 7:31pm On Jul 20, 2013
^

whatever whining u want to engage in which u r free to engage in, is clearly your problem,
points remain
your shia master Khomeini supported 9 ur old marriage.

Iran Parliament recently issued a statement stating that it was illegal and unislamic to outlaw child marriage.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by Gboliwe: 7:38pm On Jul 20, 2013
Poor OP. You are definitely on your own. Read your holy book well cool
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 7:39pm On Jul 20, 2013
vedaxcool: ^

whatever whining u want to engage in which u r free to engage in, is clearly your problem,
points remain
your shia master Khomeini supported 9 ur old marriage.

in this age and time,it is wrong for so many reasons,and also because the reasons which motivated a 9 year old to get married back then hardly exist in our time.

Ayatollah Khomeini was born in 1902,a period during which the age of consent in parts of Europe and America was at age 10.there is no sin in islam that a girl should delay in marriage.and if she is not physically and mentally mature,with both the parents' and the girl's consent,she cant get married.

perverts like yerima who already have many wives should not take islam as excuse for his perversion in 2013.early marriage as it used to be for the sake of procreation (as diseases and famine were rampant in the distant past,leading to high mortality rate) and for the understanding of morality,do not exist in 2013.Aisha's age should also not be exploited as Aisha was not a child when the Prophet (sa) married as historical sources confirm.Aisha was at least 16 or 17,and possibly 21 year old.

if you or whoever cannot reason,then you got problem,and you should be ashamed for supporting perverts.

Iran Parliament recently issued a statement stating that it was illegal and unislamic to outlaw child marriage.

please provide a link to back up your claim.regardless,the age of consent in iran for girls is 16.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 7:42pm On Jul 20, 2013
Gboliwe: Poor OP. You are definitely on your own. Read your holy book well cool

it is recorded that Mary (as) was 12 or 13 year old when she miraculously conceived.in other words "Jehovah" saw Mary (as) fit to conceive at 12 or 13.and she was at that age betrothed to Joseph who was 90 year old.why don't you marry 12 or 13 year old girls and use Christianity as excuse for that?

everyone,christians and muslims,can think.so why hold a religion to ransom for what fools want to cover upon?

2 Likes

Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by vedaxcool(m): 10:48pm On Jul 20, 2013
LagosShia:

in this age and time,it is wrong for so many reasons,and also because the reasons which motivated a 9 year old to get married back then hardly exist in our time.

Ayatollah Khomeini was born in 1902,a period during which the age of consent in parts of Europe and America was at age 10.there is no sin in islam that a girl should delay in marriage.and if she is not physically and mentally mature,with both the parents' and the girl's consent,she cant get married.

perverts like yerima who already have many wives should not take islam as excuse for his perversion in 2013.early marriage as it used to be for the sake of procreation (as diseases and famine were rampant in the distant past,leading to high mortality rate) and for the understanding of morality,do not exist in 2013.Aisha's age should also not be exploited as Aisha was not a child when the Prophet (sa) married as historical sources confirm.Aisha was at least 16 or 17,and possibly 21 year old.

if you or whoever cannot reason,then you got problem,and you should be ashamed for supporting perverts.

please provide a link to back up your claim.regardless,the age of consent in iran for girls is 16.

using your argument I can say the following, perverts like Khomeini who already married, but made changes to the law of marriage by reverting the age of consent to 9 during the Iranian revolution a time when the marriage age in Europe and America was 18 abused their authority as religious leaders an exploit shia as means to justify their own perversion, now retatded decision, using ur own words, of Khomeini has served as guidance that retards of the Iranian Parliament that they now state it is even illegal under shia Shari'a to do so. as far as authoritativeness go, you utterly irrelevant as a source of shia knowledge compared to Khomeini, while in your opinion he is a pervert, Khomeini opinion in this matter carries weight, yours simply represent your own opinion wwhich deviates from what Khomeini whose words remains a source of guidance to countless shias.
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by Gboliwe: 11:32pm On Jul 20, 2013
LagosShia:

it is recorded that Mary (as) was 12 or 13 year old when she miraculously conceived.in other words "Jehovah" saw Mary (as) fit to conceive at 12 or 13.and she was at that age betrothed to Joseph who was 90 year old.why don't you marry 12 or 13 year old girls and use Christianity as excuse for that?

everyone,christians and muslims,can think.so why hold a religion to ransom for what fools want to cover upon?

Sorry for you tongue tongue
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 11:59pm On Jul 20, 2013
Gboliwe:

Sorry for you tongue tongue

thanks. cool

2 Likes

Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by siddiq202(m): 12:36am On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

ignorance in both Islam and other fields is the problem.regardless I do not think I am in the minority.the majority of muslims do not marry 9 year old girls,hence the law to allow 9 year old girls to get married does not serve the majority of muslims,but a few men of desires and ugly fantasies.therefore it is best Islam is not used as a cover,when in the first place it doesn't support the act as some imagine.the burden and bad publicity,the muslims end up paying for it.
Senate did not pass law to set female age of consent to 9. The law only provides married females under 18 right for "renunciation of citizenship".
I stand to be corrected
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 12:53am On Jul 21, 2013
siddiq202:
Senate did not pass law to set female age of consent to 9. The law only provides married females under 18 right for "renunciation of citizenship".
I stand to be corrected

"The passage of the loathsome ‘Child Marriage’ law, following the amendment of Section 29(4) (b) of the 1999 Constitution, has been rightly criticised by the general public, I believe it should have been named appropriately as what it is, the “paedophilic law”.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/07/19/m-b-o-owolowo-child-marriage-in-the-name-of/
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 12:58am On Jul 21, 2013
Nigeria not fit for girl-child marriage –NSCIA

July 21, 2013 by Sodiq Oyeleke

Chairman, Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs, Ogun State Chapter, Sheik Abdul-Rasheed Mayaleeke, has said Nigeria is not ripe for girl-child marriage.

Mayaleeke, who spoke at the 3rd Annual Ramadan Lecture organised by Yaba College of Technology Muslim Alumni on Saturday in Lagos, said the socio-economic situation of the country negated the conditions for defining maturity in girls.

Though he argued that age did not determine maturity, he said the Nigerian children were deprived of what could make them mature at a particular age.

He said, “The issue is not fit for our country. Our system is not ripe for that. Our democracy does not give proper conditions for treating girl-child marriage well. The fact is that Nigeria like other oil-producing countries is not providing the necessary support to make a girl-child grow into maturity at a particular age. There is no free, adequate and affordable education that can be used to build our girl-children to grow and mature at a certain age.

“Girls in other countries that maybe practising the girl-child marriage are exposed to proper conditions and environment that can enhance their maturity which is not present in Nigeria. They go to primary, secondary, college and may marry as they proceed for their university education but there are adequate provisions for them.”

The scholar said legislators refused to tackle other challenges facing the country but rather dissipated their energy on girl-child marriage.

He added, “You must give everybody their rights and necessary things especially adequate and qualitative education. But in this case. A girl who is not comfortable with her education will not have time for marriage neither will a parent who is struggling to pay school fees have time and confidence to give her child out.”

Chief Executive Officer, De Minaret International, Abdur Rauf Sa’eed, who spoke on ‘Muslim and Politics in the contemporary Nigeria: Issues and Challenges,’ lamented that Nigerian leaders are “self-centred and not transparent.”

“Democracy is the most deceptive diction in politics. The masses somehow count for nothing except as canon fodders. They are always at the mercy of politicians, yet they are the voters. The politician knows how to feed his stomach well to chagrin and consternation of his people in whose name he claims to lead,” he added.

http://www.punchng.com/news/nigeria-not-fit-for-girl-child-marriage-nscia/
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 1:05am On Jul 21, 2013
Activists fault Senate’s resolution on underage marriage

Premium Times

Published:July 18,2013

The senate on Wednesday passed a proposal claiming that a woman is deemed to be “full of age” once she is married irrespective of the age she did so.

A cross section of activists on Wednesday faulted the Senate’s resolution to alter Section 29 (a) of the proposed constitutional amendment stipulating that a woman shall qualify for marriage only when she attains 18 years.

The Senate, however, deleted age specification for women who were once married, claiming that a woman is deemed to be “full of age” once she is married irrespective of the age she did so.

The resolution was made by lawmakers on Tuesday after a vote on recommendations of the Senate Committee on the Review of the Nigerian Constitution.

The Executive Director of PROJECT ALERT on Violence Against Women, Josephine Effa-Chukwuma, described the resolution as a selfish one.

She said that (the resolution) would contradict the Child Rights Act which stipulated that “a child is anyone below the age of 18″.

“That is very reckless of them and insensitive of them to the plight of young girls, especially in this time and era of child sexual abuse; the implications and complications that come up from early marriage which we all know; VVF, RVF and all that.

“So, if they go to the constitution to remove the age restriction that says one cannot marry a teen, then, they might as well throw the Childs rights acts out of the window.

“The Childs Rights Acts says clearly that a child is any one below the age of 18; or are they oblivious to it , it is completely
unacceptable,” she said.

Also reacting, Abiola Afolabi-Akiode, the Coordinator, Gender and Constitution Reform Network, (GECORN), described the lawmaker’s resolution as a big setback on the Nigerian people not only the women.

“It contradicted Section 21 of the Childs Rights Acts which says no persons under the age of 18 is capable of contracting a marriage; and any marriage that is contracted by a minor is null and void and has no effect whatsoever.

“The constitution is supreme, so the Childs Rights Acts falls under the constitution; So, what the man has done is to set back all the gains of the struggle of the Nigerian women.

“So this kind of law will just legalise the abuse of children in the country and that is why people were clamouring for the deletion of that section 39(4) and which the senate originally moved towards, so how the table now turned against the children of Nigeria is what we don’t understand,” she said.

On her part, the National Public Relations Officer of the KOWA Party, Oluremi Sonaiya, expressed the hope that the resolution was not a way of making people escape with molesting children.

“I hope that this is not a way of making people get away with molesting children; people who will have like they say canal knowledge of children or who will force children into marriage at a tender age, this is like giving them a loophole.

Joining in the assault are members of the Nigerian Feminist Forum, whose spokesperson, Gerdyn Ezeakile, issued an angry statement in Lagos saying:

“This action is a clear violation of Article 21(2) of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child which prohibits child marriage and betrothal as well as Article 6 (b) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa which provides that the minimum age of marriage for women is 18 years.A cross section of activists on Wednesday faulted the Senate’s resolution to alter Section 29 (a) of the proposed constitutional amendment stipulating that a woman shall qualify for marriage only when she attains 18 years.

The resolution was made by lawmakers on Tuesday after a vote on recommendations of the Senate Committee on the Review of the Nigerian Constitution.

However, Rev. Austin Nnorom, the Lagos State Chairman of the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties (CNPP), urged the lawmakers to cancel the resolution.

“It is worrisome and I think it’s a very unhealthy thing by the National Assembly; we pray that they should immediately repeal that law.

“We are looking for local government autonomy and better laws not a law that will allow children, under aged to be sexually abused, and it’s going to cause a lot of social vices in this part of the country.’’

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/141197-activists-fault-senates-resolution-on-underage-marriage.html
Re: Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts by LagosShia: 1:06am On Jul 21, 2013
Women activists kick against Senate’s resolution on child marriage

Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji

Published:July 18,2013

The group faulted the argument of Senator Sani Yerima.

The Gender and Constitution Reform Network, GECORN, a coalition of women’s rights organisations across Nigeria, on Thursday rejected the Senate’s resolution on child marriage.

The organisation, in a statement signed by its National Coordinator, Abiola Akiyode-Afolabi, and made available to journalists in Abeokuta , rejected the argument of Ahmed Yerima that the proposal for the deletion of section 29 (4)(b) which states that “any woman who is married shall be deemed of full age” is at variance with Islamic law.

“The constitution of Nigeria is the supreme law of the country. While we hail the constitution review process led by the Senate and the House of Representatives, we reject the argument of Senator Ahmed Yerima that the proposal for the deletion of section 29 (4) (b) which states that “any woman who is married shall be deemed of full age.”

The women activists emphasised that section 29 of the 1999 Constitution particularly prescribed the procedures for Nigerians who wish to renounce their citizenship.

“29 (4)a, defines the character of a Nigerian who is capable of denouncing citizenship and clearly states that such person must be of full age – 18 years and above, which is in line with the Child Rights Act 2003. ‘Our argument is that S 29 4(b contradicts, S 29 4(a) and can cause misrepresentation in law and practice.

“We ask, is the Senate saying that a 13-year-old girl has the mental capacity to renounce her citizenship? Thus, we argue that Senator Ahmed Yerima, basing his argument solely on child marriage is treacherous and a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the intention of the 1999 constitution.

“Such misrepresentation is in our own view, what the Senate originally wanted to avoid by the (Senate Committee on the Constitution Reform’s report) proposal and its initial votes for the deletion of S 29 4(b).”

The organisation noted that failure to delete 29 4(b) has several negative implications: (1) criminal liability can be placed on under age married girl child. (2) An underage married woman can vote and be voted for (3) She can also obtain a driver’s license, (4) Legitimizing child marriage ‘as evidenced by the past conduct of Senator Ahmed Yerima years back.’

“We therefore urge the Senate to reconsider its position and call on the House of Representative to show progressive leadership by failing to concur on this provision and others that might retard the progress of this country,” the organisation stated.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/141236-women-activists-kick-against-senates-resolution-on-child-marriage.html

(1) (2) (Reply)

Preparing For Eid Al-fitr / Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians / How To Treat Elders According To The Sunnah?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 245
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.