Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,167 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Islam And Under Age Marriage! - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam And Under Age Marriage! (29767 Views)

Islam And Obedience To Leaders / Senator Yerimah Clears The Air On The Issue Of 'under Age Marriage' / Islam's Position On Paedophilia And Marriage Of Under-age Girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by drchuma: 2:56pm On Jul 21, 2013
Never mind those sexually perverted politicians who are trying 2 cover up their peadophilic libido under religion. From my medical knowlegde, such practices are criminal....Child rape! Plz let them leave Islam alone
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by babadey(m): 2:57pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

false.please check the post below for the facts,and also the other posts that follow in the below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1366430/muslims-reject-child-marriage-absolve#16919801

Its a lie sey!!. Did not or did he (saw) marry aisha @ 6 years old?

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 21, 2013
I wonder why we have to break our necks over someone's ideology .........their religion gives them the right to have the girl child as wives...whats your own with it....they southern part of this nation should understand that even our culture supports underage marriages and because we don't explore that part of our culture doesn't mean its not there...Britain forced two different cultures together like they did in India,Pakistan and Nepal until they went their individual ways.....At least they are not asking for your daughters hands in marriage and even if they do you have a right to say no......Lets live and let them live....When they introduced Sharia Law it was as if we should all die but right now we can live with it....so we will also live with this Law. wink wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 21, 2013
tpia@:
i still dont get the connection.

how many girls are trying to renounce their citizenship, which citizenship, what's wrong with dual citizenship which nigeria allows, and last but not least, what's the correlation between renouncing citizenship and underage marriage?

how many underage girls are trying to renounce their citizenship?

why is the senate prioritizing renunciation of citizenship for underage girls? Is this a human trafficking issue?

I am waiting for a good counter or clarification on these.

2 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 2:59pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

Its a lie sey!!. Did not or did he (saw) marry aisha @ 6 years old?

its a lie Aisha herself concocted to look innocent and vulnerable.check the posts in the link I posted.historical records convincingly show that Aisha was not below 16,and she could have been as old as 21 year old when the Prophet (sa) married her.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by vedaxcool(m): 3:02pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey: I hope this not offensive ooo. Prophet mohammed (SAW) married aisha @ the age of 6 and did sometin when she was 9 while he was 54 as it is written in the quran. What do you call this?

Joseph was ninety years when he married Mary who was 12 - 14

When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, "the Lord's brother"wink. A year after his wife's death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age. Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old, went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by vedaxcool(m): 3:04pm On Jul 21, 2013
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by segiwest(m): 3:05pm On Jul 21, 2013
bntY:
^God bless you.The uproar that greeted the bill didn't suprise me going by d unpopularity of Yerima among nigerians but d magnitude of folly even among d learned baffles me.The new law has nothing to do with promotion or endorsement of childmarriage as claimed. As you rightly pointed out,d new law seeks to secure d rights of women rather than trample it.Chapter 3,section 29,subsection 4b,states that a married woman can renounce her citizenship irrespective of her age unlike before when she has to be 18years to take that decision.To d lawmaker that ratified d bill,being 'old enough' for marriage also places d responsibility of your citizenship on your shoulders.Isn't that a laudable Idea?
I have heard of prejudice, but i hav never seen it patently displayed with imprudence and grandeur like this!
Agreed but there are many school of thoughts that would use this bill sometime later to suit them. The law to me can be used in as many ways as possible cos even when a criminal is caught red-handed he still got rights to plead not guilty, lawyers come up wit sections + subsections to nullify the case.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by airfinance(m): 3:06pm On Jul 21, 2013
i have read different comments as regards this controversial bill legalizing underage marriiage.i must admit to the fact that this has been in practice in nigeria from time immemorial in different parts of nigeria for those that are familiar with different cultures.in as much as i am not in support of it to be an issue of debate because nigeria is a diverse society, what is accepted to a certain group of people is unaccepted to other.the bottom line is that even if you marry a child openly in nigeria with the knowledge of the security operatives,i can categorically tell you that the actors involved would not be arrested.even if they do, the power of money would bail you out on that spot trust police..once a plate of amala is offered.we live in a society where injustice, oppression,favoutism and bending of law to suit some few individual is the order of day..
All we need do is to fight those decitful and selfish lawmakers.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Psylas(m): 3:07pm On Jul 21, 2013
There ίƨ nothing wrong with ίτ

2 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by osazee12(m): 3:09pm On Jul 21, 2013
Religion or not.. Getting married to a child is wrong.. Marriage or what ever we call it to a minor is paedophillia

3 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by DeepSight(m): 3:10pm On Jul 21, 2013
vire: I wonder why we have to break our necks over someone's ideology .........their religion gives them the right to have the girl child as wives...whats your own with it....they southern part of this nation should understand that even our culture supports underage marriages and because we don't explore that part of our culture doesn't mean its not there...Britain forced two different cultures together like they did in India,Pakistan and Nepal until they went their individual ways.....At least they are not asking for your daughters hands in marriage and even if they do you have a right to say no......Lets live and let them live....When they introduced Sharia Law it was as if we should all die but right now we can live with it....so we will also live with this Law. wink wink wink wink

You have no conscience.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by eagleeye2: 3:11pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

its a lie Aisha herself concocted to look innocent and vulnerable.check the posts in the link I posted.historical records convincingly show that Aisha was not below 16,and she could have been as old as 21 year old when the Prophet (sa) married her.
So it is a lie? But the Prophet's followers have been practicing such even till this day.
Is that one also a lie?

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by babadey(m): 3:12pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

Which of the historical record is now valued more than the holy Quran undecided??. I can bring out the verse in the holy Quran where it is stated that she was 6 or so.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by NoContract(m): 3:12pm On Jul 21, 2013

[size=18pt]There is a big difference between MORALITY and RELIGION.[/size]

[size=28pt]mo·ral·i·ty [/size]
/məˈralətē/
Noun

[size=14pt]Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
Behavior as it is affected by the observation of these principles.[/size]
-----------------------------

[size=28pt]re·li·gion[/size]
/riˈlijən/
Noun

[size=14pt]The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
Details of belief as taught or discussed.[/size]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-lUcmK_VTBvk/UDhO69nMeVI/AAAAAAAAADI/zSOpKtq9AL0/s320/Morality-Vs-Religion.jpg[/img]

[img]http://pics.nattstad.se/3/800000/790000/784516/pics/201339145986660_sbig.jpg[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 3:13pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

Which of the historical record is now valued more than the holy Quran undecided??. I can bring out the verse in the holy Quran where it is stated that she was 6 or so.

please do.nothing is there in the Quran that Aisha was 6.

2 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by abarry001: 3:13pm On Jul 21, 2013
abdulkayus: The "Under-age" Marriage with consummation (I.e. carnal knowledge, sexual intercourse) is not permitted in Islam, a girl has to reach the age of puberty before marriage can be consummated (I.e. carnal knowledge, sexual intercourse) .

But Islam permits the betrothal, engagement and marriage of a girl even at birth and of-course this has always been the practice of many cultures in Africa and the world over.
However , the girl might grow up and refused to be married to the man she is betrothed, engaged or married to at birth - either due to religion or lack of love.
Her permission must be sought before the marriage could be consummated. There is no forced marriage in Islam.

The Prophet (Peace and blessings of God be upon him) did not approve of forced marriage.
He [the best of mankind] (saw) is the best example for us to follow. Allahu Allam....Allah knows best.

Jazaka-Allahu kairan for this clarification. May Allah increase u in knowledge.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by kolado(m): 3:16pm On Jul 21, 2013
I was watching Tv yesterday when i saw a good many Nigerians carrying placards with bold inscriptions like "Say no to child bride"and "Child not bride". I waited with sick feeling of suspense to listen to the news and immediately i did i started laughing at the warped knowlege of able-minded Nigerians interpretation of statute,most especially the controversial Section 29(4)(b)CFRN 1999 as amended. Albeit the bevy of Nigerian senators don't even know the true import or meaning of the very section. It is pertinent at this crucial juncture to apprise us of the fact that Section 29(4)(b) has absolutely nothing to do with underage marriage in Nigeria let alone under the Nigerian Constitution. It merely borders on RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP which falls purely under CHAPTER 3 OF THE CONSTITUTION. The section 29(4)(b)provides thus:Any woman who married shall be deemed to be of full age. As such,the section invests on any woman though not of full age(18yrs and above)as much as she's married automatically has the right to renounce her citizenship. For instance,if she is 13yrs and she got married to a 70 year old man she will automatically be deemed to be of full age to renounce her ci tizenship by virtue of Section 29(1). How ever does this section liken to underage marriage in Nigeria? Stop whipping up religious sentiment which had been at its sadistic worst since passing of the senate resolution on the issue.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by ommo(m): 3:18pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey: I hope this not offensive ooo. [/b]Prophet mohammed (SAW) married aisha @ the age of 6 and did sometin when she was 9 while he was 54 as it is written in the quran. What do you call this?

Look man, as much as i don't like unnecessary argument, i am forced ask you, where did you get your inform from? don't talk if you have nothing sensible to say and don't write if you have no proof to back what you are to write. Let us learn to see not only with eyes but, also with our mind. Thank you
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by babadey(m): 3:18pm On Jul 21, 2013
vedaxcool:

Joseph was ninety years when he married Mary who was 12 - 14

When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, "the Lord's brother"wink. A year after his wife's death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age. Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old, went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm

Where are you from?.. The world's oldest book didn't tell me so. Continue bro. It is allowed
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by eagleeye2: 3:20pm On Jul 21, 2013
Why will she even want to renounce her citizenship in the first place?
So if she where, let's say 50 years and unmarried she is not of full age to renounce her citizenship?
Abeg carry your interpretation comot for here.
kolado: I was watching Tv yesterday when i saw a good many Nigerians carrying placards with bold inscriptions like "Say no to child bride"and "Child not bride". I waited with sick feeling of suspense to listen to the news and immediately i did i started laughing at the warped knowlege of able-minded Nigerians interpretation of statute,most especially the controversial Section 29(4)(b)CFRN 1999 as amended. Albeit the bevy of Nigerian senators don't even know the true import or meaning of the very section. It is pertinent at this crucial juncture to apprise us of the fact that Section 29(4)(b) has absolutely nothing to do with underage marriage in Nigeria let alone under the Nigerian Constitution. It merely borders on RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP which falls purely under CHAPTER 3 OF THE CONSTITUTION. The section 29(4)(b)provides thus:Any woman who married shall be deemed to be of full age. As such,the section invests on any woman though not of full age(18yrs and above)as much as she's married automatically has the right to renounce her citizenship. For instance,if she is 13yrs and she got married to a 70 year old man she will automatically be deemed to be of full age to renounce her ci tizenship by virtue of Section 29(1). How ever does this section liken to underage marriage in Nigeria? Stop whipping up religious sentiment which had been at its sadistic worst since passing of the senate resolution on the issue.

3 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 3:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
vedaxcool: more Joseph old age

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=4364719

[b]so if 2000 years ago Joseph,a man of 90 years of age,was engaged to Mary (as),a girl of 12 years,does that mean in our age and time we should continue to follow that? are we progressing or digressing?

what are the motives behind an old man marrying a small girl in those times? is it famine? culture? is it for procreation? is it to have children to farm? is it because of high mortality rate which required early marriage? is it because of morality,that can be maintained even by a virgin of over 60 year old? then what is the excuse or reasons behind marrying little girls in 2013?

in my view Islam says a girl can marry once she attains puberty,and she is physically and mentally mature.Islam does not compel old men to parade little girls when the motives that existed in ancient days no longer exist.we should stop giving Islam a bad image,and make others look down upon muslims because we are refusing to progress and instead we want to live in ancient times.at what age would a girl who is married at 12 graduate from secondary school? and she would still be expected to raise children and take care of the home.i don't think this is possible or even Islamic in 2013.muslims who promote marriage to little girls should grow up.muslim girls also deserve good living.this is no attack on Islam,as many of us muslims would misunderstand it to be.[/b]

7 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by opey25(m): 3:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

stop disgracing urself publicly,there is no verse in the holy quran that stated that she was 6
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by kolado(m): 3:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
I was watching Tv yesterday when i saw a good many Nigerians carrying placards with bold inscriptions like "Say no to child bride"and "Child not bride". I waited with sick feeling of suspense to listen to the news and immediately i did i started laughing at the warped knowledge of able-minded Nigerians interpretation of statute,most especially the controversial Section 29(4)(b)CFRN 1999 as amended. Albeit the bevy of Nigerian senators don't even know the true import or meaning of the very section. It is pertinent at this crucial juncture to apprise us of the fact that Section 29(4)(b) has absolutely nothing to do with underage marriage in Nigeria let alone under the Nigerian Constitution. It merely borders on RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP which falls purely under CHAPTER 3 OF THE CONSTITUTION. The section 29(4)(b)provides thus:Any woman who married shall be deemed to be of full age. As such,the section invests on any woman though not of full age(18yrs and above)as much as she's married automatically has the right to renounce her citizenship. For instance,if she is 13yrs and she got married to a 70 year old man she will automatically be deemed to be of full age to renounce her ci tizenship by virtue of Section 29(1). How ever does this section liken to underage marriage in Nigeria? Stop whipping up religious sentiment which had been at its sadistic worst since passing of the senate resolution on the issue.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by vedaxcool(m): 3:22pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

Where are you from?.. The world's oldest book didn't tell me so. Continue bro. It is allowed

lol grin unfortunately for u, u r not more knowledgeable than the Catholic church. Joseph 90 married Mary 12-14yr old.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by eagleeye2: 3:23pm On Jul 21, 2013
ommo:

Look man, as much as i don't like unnecessary argument, i am forced ask you, where did you get your inform from? don't talk if you nothing sensible to say and don't write if you have no proof to back what you are to write. Let us learn to see not only with eyes but, also with our mind. Thank you

If the prophet did no such thing, why then are his follows ALL OVER THE WORLD doing it, even till this day?

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by vedaxcool(m): 3:24pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

[b]so if 2000 years ago Joseph,a man of 90 years of age,was engaged to Mary (as),a girl of 12 years,does that mean in our age and time we should continue to follow that? are we progressing or digressing?

what are the motives behind an old man marrying a small girl? is it famine? is it for procreation? is it to have children to farm? is it because of high mortality rate which required early marriage? is it because of morality,that can be maintained even by a virgin of over 60 year old? then what is the excuse or reasons behind marrying little girls in 2013?

in my view Islam says a girl can marry once she attains puberty,and she is physically and mentally mature.Islam does not compel old men to parade little girls when the motives that existed in ancient days no longer exist.we should stop giving Islam a bad image,and make others look down upon muslims because we are refusing to progress and instead we want to live in ancient times.at what age would a girl who is married at 12 graduate from secondary school? and she would still be expected to raise children and take care of the home.i don't think this is possible or even Islamic in 2013.muslims who promote marriage to little girls should grow up.this is no attack on Islam,as many of us muslims would misunderstand it to be.[/b]

pls direct your comments to Khomeini and members of the Iranian Parliament who think otherwise.

3 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by babadey(m): 3:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
ommo:

Look man, as much as i don't like unnecessary argument, i am forced ask you, where did you get your inform from? don't talk if you nothing sensible to say and don't write if you have no proof to back what you are to write. Let us learn to see not only with eyes but, also with our mind. Thank you

Are you an extremist ni? undecided. I wasn't talking to you ddude why take it personal?. LagosShia is the brother I'm trying to clarify thinggs with and the dude is answering me with serenity and by all his comments,it really shows he's a good muslim brother. If you don't like my questions or findings,pls park well.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by eagleeye2: 3:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
vedaxcool:

lol grin unfortunately for u, u r not more knowledgeable than the Catholic church. Joseph 90 married Mary 12-14yr old.
Anybody can register a DOT COM and claim to be the Catholic Church. Moreover Christains will believe you more if you can site a bible reference.

4 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Smayee: 3:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
D rate christain criticise evrytyn abt islam is alarming muslims hardly abuse jesus or mary but only try to reason wit christain concernin dat dey dnt undastand. I hate wen christain refer to d holy prophet anyhow u guys shuld beta watch it or it might turn into religion. Islam doesn't force anyone to practise we d muslims accept wot ws revealed to us withou question n average muslim will neva force u 2do wot we r doing.whats ur concern?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why Do Muslim Females Make Very Beautiful Hairstlyles To Eventually Cover It Up? / Dog In The House Reduces Good Deeds Daily / "You Are Making Fun Of A Man Who Is Older Than Your Father!" ... "

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.