Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,835 members, 7,798,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 (20990 Views)

2 South African Mercenaries Mistaken For Boko Haram Killed In Error / Morgan Freeman Mistaken For Nelson Mandela On Billboard In India / A Gambian Waiter (25) Weds A Granny (59) For Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Starlett: 5:19pm On Jul 21, 2013
Six Years Before He Was President, Barack Obama Was Mistaken For A Waiter

President Barack Obama’s remarks regarding the George Zimmerman verdict brought light to the fact that he once dealt with racial discrimination before he was the leader of the Free World.

This led to the resurfacing of a piece written by Katie Rosman of the Wall Street Journal in 2008 about an incident in 2003 when Obama was a state senator.

Rosman recalls going to an event to celebrate the release of Sidney Blumenthal’s book, The Clinton Wars.

The incident was one she would never forget. She wrote:

Standing by myself I noticed, on the periphery of the party, a man looking as awkward and out-of-place as I felt. I approached him and introduced myself. He was an Illinois state senator who was running for the U.S. Senate. He was African American, one of a few black people in attendance. “We spoke at length about his campaign. He was charismatic in a quiet, solemn way. I told him I wanted to pitch a profile of him to a national magazine. (The magazine later rejected my proposal.) “The following year I watched as he gave the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention, and then won his Senate seat that fall. On Tuesday, Barack Obama was elected the 44th president of the United States.”

Incredible! She approached a humble Barack Obama, who would, within six years, be the President of the United States. Here’s where it gets weird:

What I will always remember,” Rosman wrote in 2008, “is as I was leaving that party … I was approached by another guest, an established author. He asked about the man I had been talking to. Sheepishly he told me he didn’t know that Obama was a guest at the party, and had asked him to fetch him a drink. In less than six years, Obama has gone from being mistaken for a waiter among the New York media elite, to the president-elect. What a country.”

Yup, that’s the sort of scrutiny many face just based on their complexion and appearance. Those who ignore race relations issues are part of the problem.

http://www.africaeagle.com/2013/07/six-years-before-he-was-president.html shocked

1 Like

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 21, 2013
Waoh! What a transformation!

1 Like

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by harbibi: 6:42pm On Jul 21, 2013
Moral of the story Never look down on anybody except you are admiring their shoes tongue..Even if he was a waiter who says he is going to remain a waiter forever?

39 Likes

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by sakaguchi(m): 7:53pm On Jul 21, 2013
All this classification, they are relative, if Obama had been born in Nigeria, he would have been looked on as a white dude..."OYINBO".
But then forming prejudice for once person based on color is simply shallow, especially when the meeting in focus is a gathering of "supposed cerebral individuals". If like the lady said that Obama was awkward and out of place, then I see a jaundiced opinion from somebody who is suppose to be an erudite, so him been black now makes him out of place in an academic symposium? Would he be out of place if she had seen him in jail? Sometimes I truly wonder if what we preach and what we expect the world to be is not out of tune with who we really are. Humanity has bits of racist streak in them.
Zimmerman murdered the boy, a situation which initially started from him being black.
Obama was looked down at as a waiter because he was black, and somebody who tries to preach against prejudice herself confirmed that obama was "out of place...awkward".
The Vatican while wanting to be international with the members of non-European catholics outnumbering their european counterpart brought to the world an European white man in diaspora.
Mohammed is the messenger of Allah and he has this universal appeal because he is white, if he had been born in Potiskum, we will only know of him in African history text.
Jesus Christ is the Son of god and this appeal is Universal because he is white, T.B Joshua is looked upon with surrepticious glances because he is not white, had it been he was an Italian, he would have had a world appeal and mojo.
Akon sang and sang Classics but he can never reach or not to talk of eclipsing Justin Timberlake.
If Enya was a Kenyan singing her weird song, nobody will know her outside Mombasa.
Obama (being a minority in USA) can never be the president of Nigeria if for instance his mix race is from a White woman and a Gwari/Nupe/Idoma/igala Itshekiri Man.
If David Beckham was a Nigerian, he would never had been a world star.
If Okocha were English, one could only wonder what his career would have been. We need to re-shape our inner selves, still in the 21st century, premordial streak of RACISM still hang loose in our Purine and Pyrimidine DNA strand. Humanity has a long way to go...

52 Likes

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Jakumo(m): 8:07pm On Jul 21, 2013
Watch how a person relates to subordinates, or to those percieved to be of lower social standing, for that interaction is a more accurate and honest index of character than is the manner in which the same person relates to equals or superiors.

14 Likes

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by 3ace(m): 8:50pm On Jul 21, 2013
For a long time, I have known that judging a book by its cover is bad but I still find myself doing it. This I believe is also common with most people and that's why it's always advised that you should dress the way you want to be addressed.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by bodejohn(m): 9:01pm On Jul 21, 2013
The people I try to respect the most are cleaners, security staffs, casual workers and contract staffs....you can only know what they are today, tomorrow may be a different story...

3 Likes

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Ishilove: 9:46pm On Jul 21, 2013
Jakumo: Watch how a person relates to subordinates, or to those percieved to be of lower social standing, for that interaction is a more accurate and honest index of character than is the manner in which the same person relates to equals or superiors.
That does it! This guy, your grammar is too much na. Haba!! angry

No wonder Musiwa was forced to open a thread to protest your bombardment of bombast on our senses grin
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by redsun(m): 9:48pm On Jul 21, 2013
Obama is a soul rebel.An epitome of justice in his own rights.
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Screwface(m): 6:56am On Jul 22, 2013
Jakumo: Watch how a person relates to subordinates, or to those percieved to be of lower social standing, for that interaction is a more accurate and honest index of character than is the manner in which the same person relates to equals or superiors.

Very rich and true words. You wrote like one whose grey matter is far beyond average.
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 9:27am On Jul 22, 2013
Ff
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 22, 2013
Yeah the waiter president.

BTw whats my position today
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by tellwisdom: 12:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
A white old man ran away when i sat beside him some time ago on transit...was he mistaken me for Nigerian politician?? sad

1 Like

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by nbright: 12:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
Some times physical appearance does deceive...
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by iamswizz(m): 12:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
Well.. Our own president was always mistaken as a:

1. Clown
2. Retardeen
3. Fisherman
4. Otuoke fishFarmer
5. Retardeen again.

3 Likes

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by UjSizzle(f): 12:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
word!
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by ELgordo(m): 12:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
Damn#Who cares Obama will be and always forever be a black Nigg@! RIP Trayvon Martins . . . Front Page Plzzzzzzzz Let us pray
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by lifestyle1(m): 12:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by iamswizz(m): 12:54pm On Jul 22, 2013
tellwisdom: A white old man ran away when i sat beside him some time ago on transit...was he mistaken me for Nigerian politician?? sad
just checked ur profile pics.. now i understand why the guy ran for his life

1 Like

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 22, 2013
Noted,but can this bring back the 12 years old kill by that murder f..ker called Zimmermann?
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jul 22, 2013
And he is mixed race I wonder what they mistake the blacks for

1 Like

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Abujafood: 12:56pm On Jul 22, 2013
It could also happen the other way round like a well dressed cleaner being mistaken for a big shot!

1 Like

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Linoversace: 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2013
dannysteve99@ya:
Noted,but can this bring back the 12 years old kill by that murder f..ker called Zimmermann?

he was 17 years not 12 years!

1 Like

Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by pappilo(m): 1:01pm On Jul 22, 2013
The only reason he was mistaken for a waiter was because of his skin colour. I hate it most when I am in a shop and these racist bastards say stuff like "Can you get me this in a size 6". Of all the people in the shop why me? Obviously cos I am the nearest black man and must work in retail. Fucking plonkers!
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by moscobabs(m): 1:03pm On Jul 22, 2013
iamswizz: Well.. Our own president was always mistaken as a:

1. Clown
2. Retardeen
3. Fisherman
4. Otuoke fishFarmer
5. Retardeen again.
That's what he is till tomorrow
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by jagabanban: 1:05pm On Jul 22, 2013
iamswizz: Well.. Our own president was always mistaken as a:

1. Clown
2. Retardeen
3. Fisherman
4. Otuoke fishFarmer
5. Retardeen again.

... And has he disproved to be none or all of the above, even as President.

#justasking
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by collynzo2(m): 1:06pm On Jul 22, 2013
Obama looks like a bricklayer now, anyone who didn't know him previously can easily mistake hin for an 'Obu ajá' man.
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 22, 2013
[quote author=tellwisdom][size=11pt]A white old man ran away when i sat beside him some time ago on transit...was he mistaken me for Nigerian politician?? [color=#006600] Am not joking. A white old woman b/w d age of 75 to 80 came down from thesame train with me,she was carrying a heavy luggage,which I knew she cannot carry it to d subway ,so I approach her and ask can I help u? her reply was Nein danke,ie no thanks. Then I left to my suprise I had this same woman calling a young white guy to help her.Which d guy did,I was like am mine going to eat her luggage? I was just asking myself this quastion.
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by whitecat007: 1:25pm On Jul 22, 2013
cool
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by HARDEYLEKE(m): 1:25pm On Jul 22, 2013
3ace: For a long time, I have known that judging a book by its cover is bad but I still find myself doing it. This I believe is also common with most people and that's why it's always advised that you should dress the way you want to be addressed.

True
Re: Obama Mistaken For A Waiter In 2003 by Elmos: 1:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
REHOZIBAH: Waoh! What a transformation!

Yes transformation it was! Same scenario played itself here in Africa, According to Late Magician Prof. Pella, he was in Monrovia for a show, and the head of security at the venue was Samuel Dow, who did his job very well, that was given a "dash" of about N10 then, and just six weeks later the same security guide became the country head of State

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Zimbabwe Okays Payment Of School Fees With Goats / US Army Soldier Indicted And Accused Of Selling Sensitive Military Information. / Putin Warns Nato Of Military Response To Alliance Expansion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.