Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error (712 Views)

Photos: Midnight Voting In Bayelsa (#bayelsadecides). / INEC Extends Voting In 300 Polling Units Out 150,000 / Senator Ndume Broke Down In Tears After Voting In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by iykofias(m): 6:07am On Jul 23, 2013
The member representing Ondo Central Senatorial
District at the National Assembly, Senator Ayo
Akinyelure, wept before members of his constituency
in Akure on Monday as he apologised to them that he
voted in error to support the senate resolution
backing marriage of underage girls.
Akinyelure was summoned by his constituents to
explain his role in the controversial passage of a
resolution to retain the provision of Section 29 (4) (b)
of the 1999 Constitution, which states that a married
underage girl is deemed to be an adult.
Politicians, women groups and students had
besieged the Adegbemile Hall, venue of the meeting,
with placards to protest against what they described
as the legalisation of sexual abuse of young girls,
which their representative had supported.
But Akinyelure burst into tears as he laboured to
convince the obviously enraged crowd at the tension-
soaked session that he mistakenly pressed the wrong
button during the electronic voting exercise thinking
that he was voting against child marriage.
The Senator said he had aligned his thought with
that of other senators, who supported the resolution
that the provision should be expunged from the
constitution.
He added that the resolution was paraphrased again
in a way that confused him to mean that pressing the
'No' button would mean voting against the resolution
that the resolution should be retained in the
constitution.
He said, "I am very sorry for this costly mistake. I
actually voted in error. I pressed the 'No' button
during the electronic voting session, thinking that I
was kicking against the early marriage. I can never
support such barbaric and wicked bill."
As a fallout of the tension, supporters of the
embattled senator and the protesters clashed at the
premises of the meeting, while a photojournalist with
the Hope newspapers, Mr. Abayomi Adefolalu, who
tried to take their shot was beaten while his camera
was damaged.
Meanwhile, the International Federation of Women
Lawyers, has criticised Senate resolution on child
marriage.
Reacting to the decision of Nigeria's upper legislative
chambers on the contentious issue on Monday,
Secretary, FIDA, Edo State branch, Mrs. Maria Edeko,
described the development as disturbing and called
for the removal of Section 29, sub-section 4(b) from
the (1999) Constitution.
mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/child-marriage-senator-weeps-claims-voting-in-error/
Re: Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by danieslim(m): 6:11am On Jul 23, 2013
Did I just read voted in error?
Re: Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by Nobody: 6:14am On Jul 23, 2013
Dats good
Re: Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by Ganys: 7:00am On Jul 23, 2013
Mtchew.... This man is a coward..
We southerners are hypocrite, Visit Warri and Lagos, You will see plenty 30yrs Old Grandma Who baby seat their grand child while selling tomatoes in the market. Go to Oshodi, Island, Mile 12 and see 12yrs old Nursing Mothers without father hawking Gala and ice Pure water.
Now, some people come here to rant while the main problems is at their Door step. Who is Fooling Who??

Note:
I don't support toddler's marriage, but I'm fully in support of Child Marriage because not until 4pm yesterday, Patience Jonathan was a Child to her Mom wink
Re: Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by texaco1: 7:28am On Jul 23, 2013
Ganys: Mtchew.... This man is a coward..
We southerners are hypocrite, Visit Warri and Lagos, You will see plenty 30yrs Old Grandma Who baby seat their grand child while selling tomatoes in the market. Go to Oshodi, Island, Mile 12 and see 12yrs old Nursing Mothers without father hawking Gala and ice Pure water.
Now, some people come here to rant while the main problems is at their Door step. Who is Fooling Who??

Note:
I don't support toddler's marriage, but I'm fully in support of Child Marriage because not until 4pm yesterday, Patience Jonathan was a Child to her Mom wink
am I the only one that this post doesn't make any sense to?

6 Likes

Re: Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by lirusehn(m): 7:42am On Jul 23, 2013
texaco1:
am I the only one that this post doesn't make sense to?
same here bro
Re: Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by psucc(m): 7:46am On Jul 23, 2013
Even if it was deliberately done, since he has shown signs of remorse (however hypocritical) it is welcome.

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 23, 2013
Ganys: Mtchew.... This man is a coward..

Note:
boko Haram, gay, oloshi.. all join angry
Re: Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by iykofias(m): 8:51am On Jul 23, 2013
Ds bill is worst than gay marriage,total blatant in all honesty
Re: Child Marriage: Senator Weeps, Claims Voting In Error by iykofias(m): 11:03am On Jul 23, 2013
A Man is allowed to marry an under age girl? Stop this evil bill now. Even animals do not bed their infants.

(1) (Reply)

Huge Explosion At Alausa, Lagos State / US Is Preparing Cruise Missile Strikes Against Syria / Former Plateau State Governor, Chief Solomon Lar, Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.