Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US (6200 Views)

CBN Suspends Deputy Governor, Directors For Fraud / Bombshell: Allegations Of Voter Fraud In Rivers State Greatly Exaggerated - Jega / 40-year-old NANS President Expelled For Fraud, One Week After Endorsing GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by FSU: 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2013
By Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on April 04, 2013 at 7:22 PM, updated April 04, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Pinterest

Email

Some 32 people, including a Hudson County jail nurse, have been arrested in a multimillion, multi-state identity theft and credit card fraud ring.

The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office first got involved in the investigation in the early fall of 2012, when they received numerous complaints from victims as far away as California claiming that credit cards in their name made fraudulent retail purchases in Hudson County, officials said today.

Using store video and physical surveillance, the detectives were able to identify several suspects, authorities state. Detectives then linked those suspects to hundreds of other accounts and millions of dollars in phony transactions.

The leaders of the group, authorities say, purchased the identities of unsuspecting victims from online brokers, who got the information from computer hackers across the United States.

In a process known as "punching," electronic account information from the cards' magnetic strips would be transferred onto counterfeit cards, which were provided to "strikers" who conducted the purchases at retailers all over the Eastern Seaboard, authorities say.

Teams of strikers purchased retail gift cards that were then used to purchase various electronic items, authorities say. Those items were then sold in bulk to fences in New York and New Jersey, authorities say. The fence would then sell the items to other people for cash payments.

The investigation has identified nearly 1,000 victims across the country and millions of dollars in phony transactions, authorities say.

Authorities say the suspects spent the proceeds on luxury cars, high-end jewelry and other lavish expenses. Some of the money was additionally sent to accounts in Nigeria, authorities say.

Acting Hudson County Prosecutor Guy Gregory commended a long list of agencies that were involved in the take down, saying, "The operation could not have succeeded without their assistance."

Defendants charged with money laundering, theft by deception, wrongful impersonation and conspiracy include: Bolaji Ola, 30, of Sayreville; Olamide Otti, 27, of Queens; Akintunde Adeyemi, 28, of East Orange; David Brown, 27, of Parlin; Adegbola Adedeji, 31, of Parlin; Oluwaseun Jato, 23, of Hillside; Oluwasola Diji, 31, of Westbury, NY; Oladapo Araromi, 26, of Elizabeth; and Bertrand Ahaneku, 25, of South Orange.

Those charged with theft by deception, wrongful impersonation, and conspiracy include: Oluwaseun Adekoya, 25, of Sewaren; Henry Abdul, 25, of Union; Babatunde Oyefeso, 27, Union; Michael Assih, 24, of East Orange; John Orubo, 32, of Brooklyn; Idris Soyemi, 25, of Brooklyn; Imrahim Akaba, 23, of Piscataway; Vladimir Francois, 27, of Newark; Yves Desir, 29, of Irvington; Aglaide Alzuphar, 23, of Newark; Kossi Klutse, 25, of Newark; Evon Morris, 23, of East Orange; Fontessa Foreman, 27, of Newark; Olutoye Babatunde, 22, of Plainfield; Olukayode Adeosun, 30, of Newark; Gologo Benshaw, 25, of Newark; Olushola Ayeni, 31, of Brooklyn; Orwells Oyakhire, 24, of Maplewood.

Oladayo Araromi, 26, of Linden and Olujimi Williams, 24 of Hillside were charged with conspiracy. Matthew Sabo, 29, of Sayreville and Vijay Shah, 24, of Springfield, are charged with fencing, conspiracy, and receiving stolen property.

Oladayo Araromi, a nurse at Hudson County jail making $79,298, has been suspended without pay, Hudson County spokesman Jim Kennelly said today.

Of the 32 arrested, 24 appeared in Central Judicial Processing court this afternoon. Bail was set for those who appeared by Hudson County Superior Court Judge Joseph Isabella prior to their court appearance.

More arrests are expected, said Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gene Rubino.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2013/04/31_arrested_in_multi-million_d.html

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by FSU: 6:54pm On Jul 23, 2013
Men!! Their names sound very, very familiar in this business. Anyone been to Newark NJ, to see how they hussle?

3 Likes

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by mike404(m): 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2013
OMONNAKODA WHERE @ THOU grin

1 Like

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by loabb2(m): 7:00pm On Jul 23, 2013
Old News
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by redsun(m): 7:02pm On Jul 23, 2013
Committing senseless crimes in the west is scenario of ostrich hiding in the savannah.They will catch up with you.

It is not worth the trouble,unless you just grab once and get out for good.Smart people don't resolve,it is for no brainers,but unfortunately most nigerians grow up to think that criminals are smart and that it pays to be a "fast one",since almost all the nigerian leaders(elders) are like that.

2 Likes

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by FSU: 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2013
22 Nigerians, including:
18 Yoruba
One Igbo
One other, likely Edo/Delta

That's a whopping 81.8 % Yoruba domination in the fraud business in the US

And, might I add that this is not the tenth time that Yorubas are arrested in large numbers in US for fraud. It is a regular event.

10 Likes

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by hardywaltz(m): 7:06pm On Jul 23, 2013
Na waa ooh, all their names sound similar.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by redsun(m): 7:11pm On Jul 23, 2013
It is a syndicate in america and europe that some nigerian grapple with.It was smooth at earlier times,but not anymore.Oyinbos learn fast and they quickly block loopholes.

One would have thought they have learnt their lessons by now and be productive.Instead of being cheap criminals in lands they have options.Only the weak are on the run.

1 Like

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by FSU: 7:30pm On Jul 23, 2013
These guys are unbelievable. See how they effortlessly transferred generic fraud from across the Atlantic to Obama's country.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by djon78(m): 7:33pm On Jul 23, 2013
This is what happens when young men think they will do whatever it takes to make money, without going through hardwork, diligence and perseverance. They can get away with such things here, but you cant get away with it in the west. The root of all these is bad and corrupt leadership coupled with a corrupt and eroded cultural values.

I will keep on saying it to youngmen nothing pays like, hardwork, creative thinking and diligence, with these qualities and over time anybody can attain any highet but lack of value has turned many youngmen into get rich quick scheme.

And please lets not make it about ethnicity, I know the shameful crime some youngmen from my own tribe also committ abroad, it cuts across, it shows the value decadence that has affected Nigeria, it is a pity.

1 Like

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by redsun(m): 7:35pm On Jul 23, 2013
It's been there.Oyinbo didn't see much reasons tighten up his financial loopholes until nigerians came.Most nigerians saw it as eldorado and they made the best of it then
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 23, 2013
them no fit catch igbos dis serially, na jew men dem dey catch dis easyly like rats.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 23, 2013
I thought similar arrest was reported 6 months ago ?nawa for some nigerians o. Dey no dey learn frm oda peoples mistake
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 23, 2013
This news don old abeg.
These ones are already eating dry bread and watery Quaker oat in prison
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jul 23, 2013
Send their protruding-heads and Scratched faces to Agodi prison, where they'll live on half-cooked eba and ground beansoup. lol grin cheesy
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by FSU: 9:25pm On Jul 23, 2013
babyosisi: This news don old abeg.
These ones are already eating dry bread and watery Quaker oat in prison

This is different
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 23, 2013
Mah just comment.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 23, 2013
FSU:

This is different
Haba!! Oga seun,is this not worthy to make front page?

1 Like

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by FSU: 11:35pm On Jul 23, 2013
chidindufrank: Haba!! Oga seun,is this not worthy to make front page?

For where. They are averse to the truth.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by mike404(m): 11:35pm On Jul 23, 2013
FSU: 22 Nigerians, including:
18 Yoruba
One Igbo
One other, likely Edo/Delta

That's a whopping 81.8 % Yoruba domination in the fraud business in the US

And, might I add that this is not the tenth time that Yorubas are arrested in large numbers in US for fraud. It is a regular event.
OKUKO NA ATA KWOM, NWA YA ANA ELE YA ANYA NA ONU grin THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY INHERITED FROM ALHAJI BOLA JAGABAN AHMED Tinubu

1 Like

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Osgilliat(m): 12:18am On Jul 24, 2013
awon te mi wire wire....these are the means some of our musicians are using to secure funds to spend lavishly.the most interesting part is that its controlled by a crime ring leader connected to every country. wetin even concern me,prison yato si palace.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by White007(m): 12:24am On Jul 24, 2013
This is an old news, same thread was opened not too long ago.

Here is the link, just in case....

https://www.nairaland.com/1248109/credit-card-fraud-32-people-nigerians

1 Like

Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Freewilly(f): 12:37am On Jul 24, 2013
In as much as it's old news, it's very typical of people from that part of Nigeria to be involved in criminal activity in the States. I know about 4 Nigerians from that part of Nigeria here in Dallas that I suspect maybe involved in this kind of activity. One of this days I'll call crime stoppers hotline and give them up for some government money.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by tellwisdom: 12:41am On Jul 24, 2013
FSU, e be like sey u just buy ur own computer...When we were busy getting latest news, you were busy catching toads as fish inside canal. #OLDNEWS Man undecided
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by tellwisdom: 12:44am On Jul 24, 2013
Freewilly: In as much as it's old news, it's very typical of people from that part of Nigeria to be involved in criminal activity in the States. I know about 4 Nigerians from that part of Nigeria here in Dallas that I suspect maybe involved in this kind of activity. One of this days I'll call crime stoppers hotline and give them up for some government money.

Mind your problem ma'am....
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Temismith(f): 1:01am On Jul 24, 2013
Nigerians representing at all cost! Any which way, dey sha dey represent naija.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by dayokanu(m): 1:11am On Jul 24, 2013
Freewilly: In as much as it's old news, it's very typical of people from that part of Nigeria to be involved in criminal activity in the States. I know about 4 Nigerians from that part of Nigeria here in Dallas that I suspect maybe involved in this kind of activity. One of this days I'll call crime stoppers hotline and give them up for some government money.

Are you still in Coppell? Make I lock you one of these days?
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Nobody: 1:12am On Jul 24, 2013
dayokanu:

Get a life
Stop acting feminine
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Nobody: 1:12am On Jul 24, 2013
You will be damn rich!
First of all, go ahead and do it. I would have advised you to investigate them and be sure they are really scammers/fraudsters but then you may get into trouble..lol
would have advised you to talk to them and get them to think right but u ain't sure if they really think LEFT.lol.
Well, if they are clean, court will demand you pay for damage. If you were right afterall, it is for their own good and yours as well. Either way, you stand a chance of gaining or loosing. Just think about what I said first. Weigh your chances.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 24, 2013

Chei
Biko kwa
Are you now a detective?
Biko hapu umu boys
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Freewilly(f): 1:22am On Jul 24, 2013
babyosisi:

Chei
Biko kwa
Are you now a detective?
Biko hapu umu boys

Nne I don't have to go to detective school to know that anyone in the US that pays for everything in cash "I mean everything", House, expensive car, college tuition for 4 kids in a private university is shady.
Re: 22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US by Freewilly(f): 1:26am On Jul 24, 2013
dayokanu:

Who dash me coppell, I'm in South Dallas the Apartment closest to the state fair come and visit my there.

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC PH Rally: Poor Crowd, Buhari Cuts Short Speech As Stadium Empties (pic) / MUMU Is When U Believe A Man Trekked From Lagos To Abuja In 19days. / See The Tunnel Rochas In Building In Owerri, Does Owerri Need A Tunnel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.